HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alexei Yashin Comparison

Old
04-11-2011, 12:38 PM
Rumcajs

vCash: 500
Alexei Yashin Comparison

Hey i was around 8 when he played and i knew he was a great player but i was wondering, Who would be his modern day comparison in terms of skill?

Also, i was wondering what are his pros/cons as a player, obviously his biggest con being his off ice issues but im asking in terms strictly as a hockey player on the ice.

Rumcajs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 01:24 PM
BigEyedPhish

I'm surprised no one ever made a poll

Whose worse?

Dany Heatley vs. Alexei Yashin

BigEyedPhish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 01:31 PM
FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanuck619 View Post
Hey i was around 8 when he played and i knew he was a great player but i was wondering, Who would be his modern day comparison in terms of skill?

Also, i was wondering what are his pros/cons as a player, obviously his biggest con being his off ice issues but im asking in terms strictly as a hockey player on the ice.
Yashin was a dazzling stickhandler, good playmaker, and pretty good finisher. Big guy and very strong, so he was difficult to muscle off the puck.

Wasn't particularly fast, but because of his stickhandling that didn't really matter.

Didn't work real hard on defense, wasn't physical and also didn't show up in the playoffs or other big games.

Not sure of a good "modern day" comparison...

FunkySeeFunkyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 01:40 PM
armani
Guy Likes

vCash: 1300
Spezza is finally looking like a franchise player. Despite his contract holdouts and loyalty, Yashin was the franchise player and was the sole bright spot on a crappy Sens team in the bad ol' days.

Top-5 all-time Sens players (to have played more than two seasons with the organization):

1. Daniel Alfredsson
2. Alexei Yashin
3. Zdeno Chara
5. Dany Heatley (for his back-to-back 50 goal seasons)
5. Jason Spezza (he is a better player than Heatley and may soon take over Yashin's spot)

armani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 01:42 PM
Skip Sheffield
YEP! YEP! YEP!

A better version of Antropov?

Skip Sheffield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 01:46 PM
sinkhole
Who's the Boom King?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWeb View Post
Yashin was a dazzling stickhandler, good playmaker, and pretty good finisher. Big guy and very strong, so he was difficult to muscle off the puck.

Wasn't particularly fast, but because of his stickhandling that didn't really matter.

Didn't work real hard on defense, wasn't physical and also didn't show up in the playoffs or other big games.

Not sure of a good "modern day" comparison...
This is a good description.

As for a present day comparison, Kopitar or Lecavalier I think, would be the closest offensively to Yashin.

sinkhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 01:50 PM
4thliner*

Quote:
Originally Posted by armani View Post
Spezza is finally looking like a franchise player. Despite his contract holdouts and loyalty, Yashin was the franchise player and was the sole bright spot on a crappy Sens team in the bad ol' days.

Top-5 all-time Sens players (to have played more than two seasons with the organization):

1. Daniel Alfredsson
2. Alexei Yashin
3. Zdeno Chara
5. Jason Spezza (he is a better player than Heatley and may soon take over Yashin's spot)
Are you **** nuts?

Yashin never scored more than 94 pts in a full season (Spezza scored just as much playing 65 games in a season) and was a complete failure in the playoffs all his career in Ottawa and in NY.

Spezza has had better seasons than him, has way better career ppg, led the team to the finals, and is a career ppg playoff performer. He is at the same age now as when we traded Yashin to NY.

About only thing that Yashin's been 'better' at than Spezza was the injuries.

Last edited by 4thliner*: 04-11-2011 at 01:57 PM.
4thliner* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 01:57 PM
Ishdul

Yashin definitely had a 94 point season. He was 2nd in Hart voting that year.

Ishdul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 01:59 PM
MatthewT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thliner View Post
Are you **** nuts?

Yashin never scored more than 94 pts in a full season (Spezza scored just as much playing 65 games in a season) and was a complete failure in the playoffs all his career in Ottawa and in NY.

Spezza has had better seasons than him, has way better career ppg, led the team to the finals, and is a career ppg playoff performer. He is at the same age now as when we traded Yashin to NY.

don't forget thought that Yashin was playing in the "dead puck era" when he was with the sens.

MatthewT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 02:01 PM
PKC*

Quote:
Originally Posted by armani View Post

1. Daniel Alfredsson
2. Alexei Yashin
3. Zdeno Chara
While it's certainly tough to make a top 5 all-time Sens players list, I'd imagine most would agree that guys like Patrick Lalime, Wade Redden and Marian Hossa would merit inclusion on the list ahead of Yashin.

PKC* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 02:11 PM
armani
Guy Likes

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Are you **** nuts?

How old are you? I am not trying to insult your intelligence, but rather if you watched the Sens since it's home opener at the Civic Centre against the Canadiens.

Yashin was the sole bright spot in those days. He carried this team on his back some nights with his offensive abilities. In the playoffs, when all the attention was dedicated to him in the clutch and grab era, he naturally disappeared. But people fail to realize the make up of the team and the era in question. To top it off, the goaltending was garbage and the number one reason for this team's playoff history.

I am not a Yashin fan, in fact the trade out of Ottawa for this greedy ******* started to turn the team's fortune. That was the best thing to have happened to the franchise. While Yashin got the money he wanted, he was never the same performer.

Hossa, Redden, or Havlat never had the kind of impact for the team as those in the top-5 I listed.

armani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 02:13 PM
Don Draper

Yashin was one of the most dominant players in the game with a really rare blend of strength and skill that isnt common anymore. The closest comparable today would be a stronger, more skilled Jeff Carter.

His time certainly didnt end well here, and he never amounted to much in the playoffs, but I would wager a bet that without the hooking and holding that he played through, he wouldve been just fine.

I have no problem saying he was the most skilled player in our teams history, if only he lived up to the massive potential.

Don Draper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 02:42 PM
koreaboy

people really do let their emotions get in the way when they judge him as a player. yes, he screwed us and we hate him, but for years he was hands down our best player. his best attributes were that he was an excellent stickhandler who was immensely strong on the puck. he could dish it and he could shoot it, trouble for him early on was that there was really no one good enough on our team he could dish it to.

he also had a very good shot. accurate and heavy, very good hands and good on the one-timer. its really too bad but in his last year for us down the stretch, he really did carry us. JM was giving him all kinds of ice on both special teams, and he was one of the most valuable players in the league for at least half that season.

his key weakness was a lack of footspeed. against top competition in tight playoff series, he simply didnt have the speed to skate away from people and get separation, and when guys were playing with their hair on fire and elite checkers like corson or peca were put on him, they swallowed him up. and his compete level evaporated when that happened. peca even commented about this after one series. he said something along the lines of, "great player who we have a lot of respect for, but when i/we really leaned on him over and over, he just kind of seemed to give up". that summed it up. in tight playoff series against fast checkers and ultra-competitive guys, his speed and his compete meter weren't there.

there's no denying he was one of the most highly talented sens of all time. definitely top 5, probably top 3.

koreaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 02:45 PM
PatrickEaves
We Lost

I've always liked this post about Yashin:

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=9...&postcount=131

Quote:
He seriously is a robot. I think Yashin has never "sulked" or failed to give his best effort ever.

Thing is he has the mentality of a committed worker (and union guy) installing car batteries on the GM line in Windsor. The guy works hard every shift, never calls in sick, never slacks off and if the union (Gandler) says it is time for a strike it is time for a strike. And when it is time to work he works as hard as any guy working in a factory works.

Of course NHL hockey is based on emotions, People get mad, they play harder the more important the situation. The mantra of giving 110% applies and while this is a stereotype is a reality in the NHL playoffs. Great players like Alfredsson, Yzerman, Gilmour find a way to give 150%. Somehow. They take the pain and the punishment and fight through it beyond the capacities of a normal human being. Heck they don't wait until the playoffs to do this. They somehow summon the fight or flight adrenelin all humans have and actually play with it.

Yashin plays near the maximum of normal non-threatened human capacity on the ice in the preseason, regular season and playoffs.

And he is a huge guy with a ton of talent.

Yashin is a great athlete and by all accounts a nice guy. The perfect rec league player. He will try hard but not TOO hard so that someone might get hurt. He will show up for every game and not stay home to watch the season finale of Lost or 24.
In fact, just read the whole topic. It's filled with useful information.

PatrickEaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 02:46 PM
Bob Kudelski

He was like a less skilled, gutless version of Mario Lemieux.

Bob Kudelski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 02:52 PM
Lexicon Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKC View Post
While it's certainly tough to make a top 5 all-time Sens players list, I'd imagine most would agree that guys like Patrick Lalime, Wade Redden and Marian Hossa would merit inclusion on the list ahead of Yashin.
Well then "most" would be wrong. Yashin was more dominant than any of those guys. He was nominated for the Hart trophy while playing with McEachern and Dackell.

Lalime? Seriously???

Last edited by Lexicon Devil: 04-11-2011 at 02:57 PM.
Lexicon Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 02:53 PM
Karlstrobe
"Lets Win It All"

With what everybody has said, stick handling wise, shot wise, protecting the puck, and not giving it 100% all the time. Sounds like a bigger, less skilled Kovalev that was more consistent.

Karlstrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 02:55 PM
SenzZen
Rik Norris

If the puck was on his stick inside the opponents zone- there was a chance he could score. His shot was so heavy and his release was no slouch, either.

And it was pre composite stick era, too.

He's got some Semin-like qualities, with less speed and more strength. If he had his back to you, forget about getting to the puck.

SenzZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 03:01 PM
Spence334

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButlerFutureSniper View Post
With what everybody has said, stick handling wise, shot wise, protecting the puck, and not giving it 100% all the time. Sounds like a bigger, less skilled Kovalev that was more consistent.
I got the same impression

Spence334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 03:03 PM
Lexicon Devil

Not at all similar to Kovalev. Yashin was a big center who would use his size to protect and distribute the puck, had a great shot, but would seldom try to deke a defender.

Lexicon Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 03:39 PM
Sens Rule

Quote:
Are you **** nuts?

He did finish 3rd in Hart voting one season (Yashin). The real problem with Yashin was in his head and emotions on the ice. I don't think he did not care but he had no other level. He could not get up for games. So come playoffs when EVERYONE is up and playing at a new level Yashin just stayed emotionally the same.

Spezza is not like that, he is emotional, he gets up for games. Alfredsson is the king of this. He willed us to the final and was excellent in the final despite the team being overmatched.

Yashin's biggest problem was that he was a robot. In a game of passion and intensity, especially in the playoffs. You could get him off his game by physical intimidation too. He did not want to pay the price.

He was very talented. Like a version of a younger Kovalev, but a better playmaker. Except Kovalev was inconsistent and terribly emotional. A superstar one game, uninvolved the next. Yashin was never injured and really, really consistent. Until big games when the sheer will of the other team overwhelmed him and he could not match it.

I'll take Spezza over him easily, now and for a long time. Spezza is far more of a winner and far more committed to doing anything he needs to do to win games.

Sens Rule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 03:47 PM
Kid Canesten

Quote:
Are you **** nuts?

OH GOD! Spezza will be traded to the Isles for NYI 2011 1st and Hamonic. Then NYI will win the lottery, we draft RNH. Hamonic becomes a beast but then his good friend Patrick Wiercioch gets traded and Hamonic signs with Boston. I feel like this has happened before!!!

Kid Canesten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 03:52 PM
Karlstrobe
"Lets Win It All"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexicon Devil View Post
Not at all similar to Kovalev. Yashin was a big center who would use his size to protect and distribute the puck, had a great shot, but would seldom try to deke a defender.
Well Kovalev can protect the puck along the boards better then almost anyone, has a great shot, and dekes defenders on a regular basis with his stick handling, hence why I said he was a BIGGER but LESS SKILLED Kovalev. They both came out of Russia in the same era and I find there was similarities in their games.

Karlstrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 04:05 PM
LeTigre

I'd liken him to Ryan Getzlaf. Yashin was a centre, so the Kovalev style of perimeter puck protect-cut-to-the-slot-and-shoot doesn't apply.
Yashin had insane strength and very good size. 'Russian Bear' was his nickname when he came over, and as the name implies, it was impossible to remove him from the puck when he had possession. Additionally, his stickhandling attributes were much discussed; he practiced stickhandling in his home all the time even when he was away from the rink.
He would rarely play physical, however, in the sense of throwing hits, blocking shots, or fighting when the time came. He was an oversized finesse player who demanded special attention from the defense, like Getzlaf.

LeTigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 04:25 PM
Curtinho
YNWA

I think Spezza is far more talented than Yashin ever was. Spezza hasn't really lived up to his talent yet though.

Curtinho is offline   Reply With Quote