I can only think of Dats. Franzen after he came back seemed very ineffectual. Flip played okay I guess. Helm was pretty good along with the rest of his line, except for that dumb penalty. But in terms of stars? Dats was phenomenal. Howard also played very well, made some great saves. The 3 that were let in he couldn't do anything about. Power play goals.
They started off well, which is rare and the first half of the second period has got to be the best hockey this team has played all year. Especially from Datsyuk. 5 points in 2 game. ****ing hell. Save some for later Dats
Howard was solid. Helm was impressive as always. Filp had a pretty good game as well.
I know I knocked Salei in another thread saying Kindl will probably replace him but Salei was much better today. No big screw ups with the puck and good defensively. He'll probably be playing over Kindl, at least versus a physical team like Phoenix. Babs is trying very hard to match that physicality so the Yotes don't have an edge over us.
btw I already voted Franzen but he really deserve a big one for coming back. When he came back and I saw his face I was like 'wtf wow'. I got a big chill from that.
I just hope he's really ok... other than all those stitches and cuts.
And Sarcasto, Franzen is not on the ballot.
He didn't play very well. I give him mad props for taking that hit and coming back, but he had a ridiculous penalty that cost them a goal and didn't do a whole lot that was productive. He can still win with write-ins, though.
Originally Posted by FeedTheMule
Had to miss the game because of work, couple of questions:
1. What happened to Franzen?
2. Why didn't he play any power play?
3. Why did Lidstrom play less then any defencemen not named Salei?
4. Why didn't Lidstrom play any short handed?
1. Got hit in the corner by Doan and went into the boards face-first. Probably not worth a penalty (none was called), but in a game when a clean shoulder to shoulder check on a player with the puck is called boarding, it definitely warranted a call. At least the Franzen hit was borderline - the Helm hit was just plain clean.
I was pretty sure Franzen had broken a bone in his face. He was all purple and swollen after the hit.
2. He missed a bunch of time and I don't think they had any power plays after he came back.
3. Not sure. At first I thought it was because they started resting him a bit after going up 4-0, but then I noticed he only played 19 and change in game 1 as well. Dude's almost 41, that might be a reason.
1. Datsyuk - by a mile. It's insanely fun watching him play hockey.
2. Doan. He's a d-bag but at least he's made his presence felt in the playoffs for a second straight year.
3. Lidstrom - no one else really stood out so I went with the Captain.
Wings obviously had this thing locked down and let the Yotes get back into the game. Hopefully they continue that domination in Game 3. The sooner they can put this series away the better. I do not think it will bode well if this series gets dragged out since the first two games demonstrate Detroit is the better team by a good margin and that's without Z.