HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Without Crosby, Jordan Staal thrives in new role for Penguins

Old
04-11-2011, 07:50 PM
SEALBound

vCash: 500
Here and there...yes...but he has the amazing ability to completely disappear.

SEALBound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 09:15 PM
Gooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florentino Ariza View Post
Staal's a 4 million dollar player who has certain expectations and has a good niche on the pens. On top of that, he is scoring at a good pace.

So many people think that Staal should step up and produce like a more skilled, higher paid player...thats not why he is here. The bottom line is: its not his fault our two best players are hurt, and it isnt fair to expect him to change his entire game overnight to cover the loss of two of the leagues best players
I think he is a better player than he has shown us this year.

Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 09:27 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEALBound View Post
Here and there...yes...but he has the amazing ability to completely disappear.
As does every player except for Sidney Crosby

JTG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 09:34 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Martin View Post
Please stop the madness.

I vote this gets locked up.

Be happy we still have someone we can go to after we lost Sid & Geno.

MY God, this place!
Isn't his name Tyler Kennedy?

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 12:17 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Focus here, boys. If you don't want to take part in this discussion, don't post! The great Staal debate is part of Penguins hockey and will be for some time. Let's keep it on topic and that's the final warning.

ColePens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 08:58 AM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Does thriving have to mean "dominating the league"?

Staal's been asked to step up - his game, in the lineup, his role on the team - and he's done so with pretty good success. Good for him, and good so far for the Pens.

Old
04-12-2011, 09:16 AM
Penguinzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLM View Post
jsut read the brief article. so since january he has 11 goals. while not bad not exactly sid production. even though if he had played a full season he would have surpassed 49 pts, his career high. again not exactly sid production. how again has he "thrived"?

if you want to prop the kid up ok, but dont go overboard like this dude did.
He "thrives" because of his overall game. PK, defense, creating space, intangibles (stuff that fans don't generally notice but coaches do), and the little bit of offense he provides. At least that what I assume he means.

Penguinzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 10:31 AM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassé View Post

Staal's been asked to step up - his game, in the lineup, his role on the team - and he's done so with pretty good success. Good for him, and good so far for the Pens.
Precisely.

Old
04-12-2011, 10:51 AM
regard

Staals passing has looked a little better lately. Theres been a few moments where I was suprised to see it was him that had just made a pass.

That line can just keep getting better.
If thier kept together next year, or some similar version with skill players I think Staal still has a little room to develope offensively. Hes not going to become a great stick handler but Im sure with an offseason he can improve a bit from the rusty form hes had this year.

More than that though I think its his passing and getting open for a shot he can improve.
Nothing world beating passing wise but short passes around the net.
As far as getting open for a shot I've seen him do it in the past, but the CSK line as good as it was was not really set up to allow Staal to do that. Neither TK or Cooke was every really looking to be a set up guy, and thier style was to have all 3 of them behind the net controlling the puck. Great for momentum and wearing teams down, bad for scoring chances. Those are the things Id look for him to expand on next season allowed more time in an offensive minded role.

regard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 11:21 AM
GLM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
I am a huge Staal fan, probably my favorite penguin as I have his jersey. But I have been a little disappointed with how he has performed now he has been giving a scoring role. I certainly don't think he is thriving, serviceable is more like it and I hate that term because it defines mediocracy. He typically turns it up in the playoffs so lets hope he does.
i agree with you he definitely didnt thrive as the #1/#2 center. i dont think anyone realistically expected 30 goals from jan 1 till now and to put up 70 - 80 pts. thrived to me was the wrong word to use.

GLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 03:39 PM
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u

Quote:

Exactly.

Re: offensive production.

I forget who it was that pointed out that, if you're scoring 20 goals over a season, you're actually only scoring a goal every four games. And if you're potting 30 (surely a pretty good amount of production for $4 million), you're only scoring a goal in (at most) 36% of the games.

People expect 20 goal, 50 point players to score every night and that's just unrealistic by any measure you want to use.

Some people take issue with how Staal "appears" to play, but honestly speaking, I trust fans' eyes as much as I trust a coach's quotes to the media during the playoffs.

HandshakeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 05:00 PM
JTG

I'm not sure how people can say they are disappointed. He's been putting up higher point totals than he has...ever. Staal will never look pretty, but fact is, he's producing. He went pointless in his first 5 games back, but since then, he's produced at a very good rate. Sure, I'd like to see his goal scoring be a bit higher, but I think that will come.

Old
04-16-2011, 09:19 PM
muffinarm

The only thriving I see Staal accomplishing is retrieving wide shots on the PP. How can such a large person be so invisible?

I cannot wait until Staal goes back to the third line.

muffinarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 09:26 PM
AugustBurnsRed*
Invisible Calls

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG32005 View Post
I'm not sure how people can say they are disappointed. He's been putting up higher point totals than he has...ever. Staal will never look pretty, but fact is, he's producing. He went pointless in his first 5 games back, but since then, he's produced at a very good rate. Sure, I'd like to see his goal scoring be a bit higher, but I think that will come.
I'm not complaining, and he does have a legitimate excuse, but Staal has had some of his worst games ever this season... in my opinion he looked really good at the start, but he's either been average or straight up bad for a while now.

AugustBurnsRed* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 09:36 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustBurnsRed View Post
I'm not complaining, and he does have a legitimate excuse, but Staal has had some of his worst games ever this season... in my opinion he looked really good at the start, but he's either been average or straight up bad for a while now.
Like all young players, Staal has his peaks and valleys. The thing with Staal is that he has stated how his confidence is very shaky, and when that kid isn't confident, you may as well sit him on the pine because it shows in every single part of his game.

I think he knows when he has a bad game, just as much as we do, and much like Ryan Whitney did...he hears the fans criticism. I heard on the radio the other day that he stayed after practice and just shot puck, after puck, after puck. I have a hard time criticizing a guy who works. Staal works. I have no doubt about that. He's also still SO young. He was said to be the biggest project, and I think he's proving that to be true.

He will never look pretty. That's not his game. The world is results oriented though. You either produce, or you are skidding on your ass. Staal produces. That's not me being a homer, or being soft on him, or making excuses. That's fact. That's in the numbers.

I also think what he has done this season has been remarkable for the adversity he was coming off of. I just have a strong feeling that with an offseason of work and a healthy roster, we're going to be really happy with the guy.

Old
04-16-2011, 09:40 PM
AugustBurnsRed*
Invisible Calls

Quote:
Like all young players, Staal has his peaks and valleys. The thing with Staal is that he has stated how his confidence is very shaky, and when that kid isn't confident, you may as well sit him on the pine because it shows in every single part of his game.

I think he knows when he has a bad game, just as much as we do, and much like Ryan Whitney did...he hears the fans criticism. I heard on the radio the other day that he stayed after practice and just shot puck, after puck, after puck. I have a hard time criticizing a guy who works. Staal works. I have no doubt about that. He's also still SO young. He was said to be the biggest project, and I think he's proving that to be true.

He will never look pretty. That's not his game. The world is results oriented though. You either produce, or you are skidding on your ass. Staal produces. That's not me being a homer, or being soft on him, or making excuses. That's fact. That's in the numbers.

I also think what he has done this season has been remarkable for the adversity he was coming off of. I just have a strong feeling that with an offseason of work and a healthy roster, we're going to be really happy with the guy.
All I can say is that I agree

Old
04-16-2011, 09:51 PM
mpp9

I disagree that staal will always look like what he is now. If he works as hard as i feel he will and shorten that stick, youll see someone able to go backhand forehand in tight spaces which with his hockey iq can mean a ppg player. I like that him and neal are being viewed as projects. Theyll be invaluable down the road.

mpp9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 09:58 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

I think Staal's been fine against Tampa. He's had some good chances. He just hasn't finished. He's also helped keep Stamkos very quiet through 2 games. That's all we'd be asking of him if Sid and Malkin were healthy, but we need more production from him given the injuries. It's a tough and unfamiliar spot for him to be in, but it'll make him better in the long run, imo.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 10:04 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
I disagree that staal will always look like what he is now. If he works as hard as i feel he will and shorten that stick, youll see someone able to go backhand forehand in tight spaces which with his hockey iq can mean a ppg player. I like that him and neal are being viewed as projects. Theyll be invaluable down the road.
Even if he shortens the stick, he's never going to be an explosive guy. He's not going to be burning guys around the edge to get to the net. He's not going to take on 3 guys and score. That's not his game.

Where he will make strides, IMO, is he can get stronger down low, and become an immovable object like Malone is for TB right now. He can also develop his shot more and be able to pick teams apart if they let him sit in the and around the slot.

Old
04-16-2011, 10:22 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Even if he shortens the stick, he's never going to be an explosive guy. He's not going to be burning guys around the edge to get to the net. He's not going to take on 3 guys and score. That's not his game.

Where he will make strides, IMO, is he can get stronger down low, and become an immovable object like Malone is for TB right now. He can also develop his shot more and be able to pick teams apart if they let him sit in the and around the slot.
I think hell become a far better stickhandler as he really hasnt evolved that part of his game in his role the past few years. He wont burn defensemen with his skating but being able to use his size and reach to his advantage with a quick snap shot can really make him extremely effective.

mpp9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 10:37 PM
AugustBurnsRed*
Invisible Calls

There are countless times where Staal is in the perfect position to score a goal but can't get a shot off quick enough or its just a terrible shot in general. He's got a good shot... but his timing/stick just make it suck.

Old
04-17-2011, 11:28 AM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustBurnsRed View Post
There are countless times where Staal is in the perfect position to score a goal but can't get a shot off quick enough or its just a terrible shot in general. He's got a good shot... but his timing/stick just make it suck.
I agree.

Old
04-17-2011, 11:51 AM
Mario_is_BACK!!
ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!

Send a message via AIM to Mario_is_BACK!! Send a message via MSN to Mario_is_BACK!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florentino Ariza View Post
Staal's a 4 million dollar player who has certain expectations and has a good niche on the pens. On top of that, he is scoring at a good pace.

So many people think that Staal should step up and produce like a more skilled, higher paid player...thats not why he is here.
And I'd be fine with that if he hadn't been a whiny brat that insisted on Top Six time when he's clearly not worthy of it.

Mario_is_BACK!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 12:02 PM
Mario_is_BACK!!
ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!

Send a message via AIM to Mario_is_BACK!! Send a message via MSN to Mario_is_BACK!!
Quote:

What I've seen is more of the same average and frustrating play from him.

Mario_is_BACK!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 12:22 PM
SEALBound

Quote:

Then why, WHY would you want him spearheading the 2nd scoring line in lieu of Evgeni Malkin!? IT MAKES ZERO SENSE!

FYI, Malone was seeing quite a little bit of time on the 4th line.

SEALBound is online now   Reply With Quote