HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

WCQF: (1) Vancouver Canucks vs (8) Chicago Blackhawks Part II

Closed Thread

Old
04-11-2011, 05:15 PM
Timmy

vCash: 500
WCQF: (1) Vancouver Canucks vs (8) Chicago Blackhawks Part II

Carry on...

Old
04-11-2011, 05:16 PM
Timmy

And, some friendly reminders:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAL8116 View Post
A few things to help this board run smoothly:

We are all here to talk hockey. Going overboard and being banned from this forum or the site is not in your best interest to keep talking puck.

We are all fans first, even moderators. We're here to talk about games. No one likes spending time dealing with bad behavior. Don't jeopardize your participation by breaking the rules and if you see something getting out of hand, use the "report a bad post" feature rather than joining in or adding fuel to the fire.

1) GDT's will be the responsibility of someone from the home team. We will be copying them over to here from the home team board.

2) If you forgot the Site Rules -- http://hfboards.com/misc.php?do=cfrules
Get cozy with them. Rivalries are great. Stupidity directed at your fellow HFers is not.

3) Just like the sticky on the NHL Forum, spam ("me too", "+1", "yeah" or all emoticon posts) are not allowed. Have some consideration for the people who subscribe to these things, the resources those sort of posts use up, and the time being wasted weeding through no content. "In before the lock" types posts as well.

4) Let the profanity filter do its job.

5) If you do not want to read a thread, don't. That doesn't mean make a comment about thread-worthiness in the thread that you do not like. It's more clutter and keeps the thread alive.

6) Debate post content not poster. Generalizations about fan bases or people who "are a certain way" are no-no's.

7) Threads deemed to be solely designed to bait or flame certain fanbases will get the axe... and so may the thread starter.

8) Any other rules listed in the site rules or if a moderator deems the action necessary.

We may be adding more to this if we see persistent behaviors over the course of the playoffs. Remember to treat others as you would like to treated and we'll all have fun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
Something that I think people should know is that at the moderating team's discretion, it may take as little as one infractable post for you to be banned from the entire playoff forums for the remainder of the post-season if it is determined that your overall posting history warrants it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesRock4 View Post
Just as last year, altering a player's name (such as 7uongo, etc) will be considered trolling and will earn you an infraction.

Old
04-11-2011, 05:16 PM
Sakic
Extra B is for BYOBB

Send a message via MSN to Sakic Send a message via Yahoo to Sakic
go canucks

Old
04-11-2011, 05:18 PM
Saren
Multi Pass!

Basically the x-factor is Godson.

Old
04-11-2011, 05:18 PM
TOML

Interesting that both SJ's and Chi's turnarounds this season started with the acquisition of ex-Canuck castoff centers, Wellwood and Johnson.

These are both better 'NHL-ready' players than call-up Cody Hodgson. Unless Hodgson proves that he's ready now by some miracle.

Old
04-11-2011, 05:19 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Wow, it's been less than 24 hours since we've known of this matchup and we're already over 1000 posts. This series is going to be a barnburner. Get your popcorn!

digdug41982

vCash: 50
Go Hawks!

Old
Proto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
Manny was a big difference to last year. Now I don't see a different Team.
Forwards:

- Burrows and Kesler are both 100% healthy.
- Hansen is a markedly improved player.
- Torres will bring a much stronger forecheck to the third line when he's healthy -- even when he's not doing much offensively, he will punish people. Would not be surprised to see him test the NHL's Wheel of Justice again in this series.
- Higgins' point production hasn't been there since he joined the Canucks, but he uses his speed much more effectively to complement Kesler's game. He digs out pucks for him, feeds him the puck in good spots on the rush, and digs around for rebounds. He kind of fulfills the role that Burrows does for the Sedins.
- Lapierre is a serviceable 3rd/4th line centre/winger that brings some sandpaper.
- Oreskovich is a question mark, but he's 6'3 225lbs and he skates very well for a big man. He's played a steady game in March/April for the Canucks before being sent down for cap reasons. He should wear on a few guys.

Defense:

- The Canucks third pair will be Ballard and Salo. Contrast that with the injury-ravaged defense from the end of the series last year (Mitchell out, Edler out mid-series, Salo playing on one, uh, leg, Bieksa playing the worst hockey of his career, etc.) and you have a major difference. No Obrien running around like an unfathomable moron cross-checking people will help, too.

Also, the Canucks were the #1 offense in the league this season and during the playoffs last year (IIRC), so that shouldn't be a problem. The primary issue for the Canucks last year was team defense, particularly a man down. This seems to have been addressed this season, but that's why they play the games.

Old
04-11-2011, 05:21 PM
Kirikanoir

Carried over from Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
The Hawks have been playing playoff hockey just to get in, the Nucks have been dogging it for a couple of weeks. I'm picking the Hawks for the 6 game upset, but look out, if the Canucks get into playoff mode quickly and get through the Hawks, they will be almost impossible to take out in later rounds.
And that is why Vancouver playing a bitter rival in the first round could be a blessing in disguise. They will likely have the intensity and be in playoff mode fairly early in this series, while against an easier 1st round match up like Dallas they may not have been.

Plus I think they wrapped up the President Trophy with the perfect amount of games left. Four games left after wrapping it up was enough to give them a rest both physically and mentally, without it being too long a stretch that too much rust and lack of mental focus would develop

While Chicago having to fight for their lives and be in playoff mode in the stretch drive could eventually wear on them mentally and physically later in the series.

At best the only advantage Chicago would have would be early in the series. If it is a long series as most expect, them later on IMO the advantage goes to Vancouver.

Old
04-11-2011, 05:23 PM
ponder

This series should be more even than the last 2 times these teams met, but not so much that I'd give the Nucks a major edge, I see it as a 50/50 series, too tough to call. The Hawks did lose some good players, but they still have their stars, they still have that mental edge that comes from back to back playoff victories, and they've played Vancouver well in the regular season this year. I would not be the least bit surprised if the Hawks took this, despite how good Van has been this year. If the Hawks can pull out a victory in game 1 the pressure on the Nucks is gonna be IMMENSE, I see the first game as being very, very important.

Old
04-11-2011, 05:25 PM
Devilsfan92
4 8 15 16 23 42

Already a 2nd thread?

Go Chicago!

Old
04-11-2011, 05:28 PM
Hammman

I'm actually surprised at the level of civility so far. Unless a lot of posts I haven't seen got deleted, which is very possible.

Old
04-11-2011, 05:29 PM
burkes

cautiously optimistic. canucks in 6

Old
04-11-2011, 05:32 PM
Zdeno33Lucic*
BruWins

vCash: 50
Bruins fan voting for hawks !!!

(2nd fav team)

Old
04-11-2011, 05:35 PM
cherrypik

I like the 2010 Stanley Cup Champions being the underdog!

Matter of fact, I think the Hawks have been the underdogs in the 08-09 playoffs(Calgary, Vancouver) and most of the 09-10 playoffs(Vancouver and San Jose) to many so called hockey analyst.

Old
04-11-2011, 05:37 PM
Proto

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMapleLaughs View Post
Interesting that both SJ's and Chi's turnarounds this season started with the acquisition of ex-Canuck castoff centers, Wellwood and Johnson.

These are both better 'NHL-ready' players than call-up Cody Hodgson. Unless Hodgson proves that he's ready now by some miracle.
Wellwood maybe, but Johnson definitely not. There's not a worse "defensive" forward in the entire NHL. I've never seen a player that defends passing lanes so poorly, nor one with such abysmal shot-blocking technique.

Hodgson will probably play 8-12 minutes with favorable match-ups and two good defensive forwards. He was adequate as a 4th line centre earlier this season.

The fact that you attribute the "turnaround" of their of these teams to those acquisitions is also laughable. Is your next post going to detail what a good luck charm Jeff Tambellini is for the Canucks and how glaring his ommission from the Game 1 lineup will be?

Old
04-11-2011, 05:47 PM
Sinistril

The playoff hockey just to get in thing is ********. There is no style that defines playoff hockey, look at the numerous ways teams have won in the last decade. Not to mention the fact that hawks almost blew it in the last 10 games, including a loss that should have cost them the playoffs in the last game despite refs helping them out a couple times...

Fact is this time the hawks are over matched. They are weaker in every aspect, the Canucks are deeper in every position. The hawks best chance will be getting in Luongo's head... something I think they'll have a hard time doing without big buff. The Canucks have played consistently well almost all year (with only a poor start) and have overcome huge injuries in doing so.

I would argue this is a team built for the playoffs.... if only because of the mass depth they have especially at defense. They've signed players and traded for players based on their playoff weaknesses not their regular season shortfalls.

If I were a hawks fan I would be worried.

Old
04-11-2011, 05:49 PM
Zombotron
WD-57

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrypik View Post

Matter of fact, I think the Hawks have been the underdogs in the 08-09 playoffs(Calgary, Vancouver) and most of the 09-10 playoffs(Vancouver and San Jose) to many so called hockey analyst.
Reading HFBoards, I'd assume that the opposite was the case.

Old
04-11-2011, 05:52 PM
Sevanston

If Vancouver were like Montreal, the city would burn during this series regardless of whether they win or lose.

Old
04-11-2011, 05:52 PM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:

The Hawks were not the underdog vs. Vancouver last year, they were a clear cut favourite and a better team.

Old
04-11-2011, 05:54 PM
Sevanston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
The Hawks were not the underdog vs. Vancouver last year, they were a clear cut favourite and a better team.
You wouldn't know it by the way Canucks fans and the media were spouting off about Vancouver both years.

Old
04-11-2011, 05:54 PM
3rdEye
HF Official Producer

Go Hawks Go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old
04-11-2011, 05:55 PM
The Bob Cole
Ohhhh Baby.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontToewzMeBro View Post
you happen to watch the 7-1 blowout this year?
Probably not directed at me, but I did and it was AWESOME! Even Brouwer made a big league power move to the net and scored, looked like Hossa. Crawford was awesome in that game and Luongo/Scheider both played like dog poop. Hopefully we'll see another one like that in this series, preferably at the Roge!
Did you guys see the Canucks record following that game?

After a couple more days with a loss to Phoenix, the Canucks flicked on the switch and became the leagues best regular season team bar none.

A 7-1 game from early in the year is meaningless - or does that argument not work unless your goalie is Turco?

Why do I do this...

Old
04-11-2011, 05:59 PM
Colin20

It's too bad the poll doesn't carry over from the first thread.

Old
04-11-2011, 06:00 PM
Kirikanoir

Quote:

What?

In 2008-09 Chicago finished with 104 points ahead of both Calgary 98 Points, and Vancouver 100 Points.

Both those series were considered pretty much even and could go either way. You had home ice against Calgary, and Vancouver had home ice in the other series.

The one series Chicago were considered significant underdogs they lost to Detroit.

In 2009-10 Chicago finished with 112 Points, 2nd in the Conference, one point behind San Jose. Their playoff opponents finished with.

Nashville 100 Points
Vancouver 103 Points
San Jose 113 Points
Philadelphia 88 Points

As well last year Chicago was pretty much most of the media`s pre-season favorite to win the Cup.

The only team you faced with more points was San Jose who one whole point more than Chicago. That series was pretty much considered even as well.

Nice try but trying to play the underdog card especially last season is pretty ridiculous.

Closed Thread