HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

WCQF: (1) Vancouver Canucks vs (8) Chicago Blackhawks Part II

Closed Thread

Old
04-11-2011, 05:01 PM
hawksfan79

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinistril View Post
The playoff hockey just to get in thing is ********. There is no style that defines playoff hockey, look at the numerous ways teams have won in the last decade. Not to mention the fact that hawks almost blew it in the last 10 games, including a loss that should have cost them the playoffs in the last game despite refs helping them out a couple times...

Fact is this time the hawks are over matched. They are weaker in every aspect, the Canucks are deeper in every position. The hawks best chance will be getting in Luongo's head... something I think they'll have a hard time doing without big buff. The Canucks have played consistently well almost all year (with only a poor start) and have overcome huge injuries in doing so.

I would argue this is a team built for the playoffs.... if only because of the mass depth they have especially at defense. They've signed players and traded for players based on their playoff weaknesses not their regular season shortfalls.

If I were a hawks fan I would be worried.
Actually I'm not worried in the least bit. If there's any team that the Hawks could draw in the first round that they would be afraid of the least, it would be the Canucks. That's not to say that they aren't underdogs as Vancouver has obviously been the better team this season. Not to mention if Vancouver actually does win the series, yes I will be disappointed, but not overly surprised. If the Hawks win this series, let the comedy flow!

Big Buff was a huge factor last year, he did get into Luongo's head, but if Luongo thinks for one second that they're not going to try and get into his kitchen and get into his head again, he has another thing coming. We will see if Luongo has the mental toughness to overcome this or will he fold again. I'd argue just as big a factor to the Hawks winning that series last year was Kane, Toews, Keith, Seabrook, and Bolland. That's who Vancouver should be worrying about. With that said, hope it's a good series!

Old
04-11-2011, 05:02 PM
Moobles

Trusting us Canucks fans to give objective, analytical opinions about our team? I don't know how to help you. Chicago weren't favourites in our first year, there definitely were last year and this year they've been handed them the "underdog" card but in name only. It seems no one can forget the past two years (with good reason) and we're expected to collapse in 6 or 7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
You wouldn't know it by the way Canucks fans and the media were spouting off about Vancouver both years.

Old
04-11-2011, 05:07 PM
Red

Quote:
You wouldn't know it by the way Canucks fans and the media were spouting off about Vancouver both years.
And you wouldn't know that the Canucks have even a sliver of a chance in this series by the way some Hawks fans have been talking all thanks to a 7-1 regular season win months and months ago while telling us our regular season means absolutely nothing (). It's (SHOCKING NEWS AHEAD) the nature of being a fan to overestimate your own team.

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 04-11-2011 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Made that more relevant for you
Old
04-11-2011, 05:09 PM
Cullksinikers

This is going to be amazing. I'm blessed and lucky to be able to see a Canucks/Hawks playoff game in Chicago for the third time in a row. This rivalry is really going to become epic. This series goes no less than 6 games either way. I have faith we'll pull through and three time's not a charm for Vancouver, but this could be their year. If Crawford plays better than Niemi, which I expect and Bolland comes back as well as a motivated Brouwer, there will be trouble on the horizon for Vancouver. We're not the same team as last year, but we've beaten them this year and played tough in almost every game.

GM 1: VAN @ CHI-- 2-1 CHI F/SO
GM 2: CHI @ VAN-- 7-1 CHI
GM 3: VAN @ CHI-- 3-0 VAN
GM 4: CHI @ VAN-- 4-3 VAN

Both games we lost, Turco was in net. Turco played well in the first matchup and sucked after that. Crawford has seen them once. That was the second matchup. I believe in Crawford, the defense, and the top lines, but not the bottom six. We need production from them this series. I'm concerned with that, though. Outscoring them 11-9 with Turco in there for 75% of those games is a positive to take out of that. Turco really has been terrible all year. If it wasn't for Skinner, Crawford would be the Calder winner.

Last edited by Cullksinikers: 04-11-2011 at 05:29 PM.
Old
04-11-2011, 05:10 PM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
You sure wouldn't. It is easier to say these things in hindsight too though, keep in mind. Look at the Hawks this year, it's like the roles reversed. Last season the Hawks were a better team on paper, but many still took the Canucks to win. This year it's the same thing but opposite.

I can honestly say the Canucks ARE a better team than the Hawks right now.. But that doesn't guarantee a victory by any means. There are too many factors that COULD come into play, that's why the games are played.

Old
04-11-2011, 05:13 PM
Sevanston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
You sure wouldn't. It is easier to say these things in hindsight too though, keep in mind. Look at the Hawks this year, it's like the roles reversed. Last season the Hawks were a better team on paper, but many still took the Canucks to win. This year it's the same thing but opposite.

I can honestly say the Canucks ARE a better team than the Hawks right now.. But that doesn't guarantee a victory by any means. There are too many factors that COULD come into play, that's why the games are played.
I'll agree that the Canucks certainly look to be the better team. On paper, they should be unbeatable.

But the game isn't played on paper, and this series won't really be played on the ice.

It'll all be in the players' minds. (Psychedelic, right?)

Old
04-11-2011, 05:16 PM
Vayls

vCash: 400
Canucks in 5

If Chicago can't win (or tie) 1 game to clinch a playoff spot against an injured, resting Detroit team, they won't make it past Vancouver.

Old
04-11-2011, 05:19 PM
Cullksinikers

Detroit wasn't really resting that last game. Sure, Kronwall and Zetterberg were out, but those two were injured and they were trying to help knock us out. Going into that game, we were 4-1 against them.

Old
04-11-2011, 05:24 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

My friend from VC at last Game 2 - United Center, 2010. Our mascot (Tommy Hawk) didn't think much of the jersey. I hope for a repeat on Sunday.

Last edited by HawksFan74: 04-16-2012 at 12:37 PM.
Old
04-11-2011, 05:27 PM
malcolmedge

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksFan74 View Post
My friend from VC at last Game 2 - United Center, 2010. Our mascot (Tommy Hawk) didn't think much of the jersey. I hope for a repeat on Sunday.
Tell your buddy to buy a real jersey...

Old
04-11-2011, 05:30 PM
AmazingNuck

I've seen all of the Canucks' games this year. Since January the Canucks have been complacent save for the "statement" games where they were caught surprised due to the unexpected value emphasized by the other teams. Examples: the 5-4 win over San Jose. Even through the road trip winning streaks, they spent about 60% of the game coasting, 30% of the game chasing and relied on the last 10% to win the game. They spent a lot of the season coasting, relying on a big period or couple of big shifts to pull out big games while waiting for the games to hit critical point and essentially "killing time" by not putting in effort because they knew how high they were in the standings and that those games weren't important. However, when the Canucks are on and motivated, they are lights out. SEE: 3-0 victory against LAK, where the Kings didn't even muster a shot in the last period while down 2-0 to begin the third period. Their motivation stemmed from the hit against Tanev. Point is, the Canucks weren't motivated for most of the season and this series against the Hawks will definitely provide enough motivation for the Canucks to play 60 minute games instead of 20 minute games.

Old
04-11-2011, 05:30 PM
Ubi Sunt
QQ Joe

honestly the hawks probably have a 5-10% chance of winning the series, but i've been getting by on those kinds of odds my entire life.

my expectations for the hawks is that they win a couple of games while being competitive in all of them and also be very hard to play against - no easy ride for the canucks. it's pretty unreasonable to expect them to win a series against the clear-cut best regular season team (but it would be amazing). they would have to elevate their game up to a level they haven't achieved all year, and if they can't win a game that guarantees them a playoff spot, i don't know why i should expect them to now.

Old
04-11-2011, 05:35 PM
Magi604

Canucks will win this one.

Canucks greatly improved their game since last year, while the Blackhawks pretty much regressed in all areas from last year.

Blackhawks fans who think Crawford will bail them out against the Sedins and Kesler are deluding themselves. God help them if they end up going on the penalty kill more than once a game, as our PP will eviscerate them.

A nice, deep defense and a fresh Luongo who's playing the best hockey of his career since becoming a Canuck will keep the Hawks shooters at bay. Coupled with no Byfuglien shoving his sweaty mass into Luongo's face every shift, and I think Blackhawks fans are just puffing their chests when they say the Hawks will get into Lou's head.

Third time's a charm, so let's do this.

SWEEP.

Old
04-11-2011, 05:36 PM
SchruteFarms
Cup #5!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saren View Post
Basically the x-factor is Godson.
I watched Hodgson pot a pair when the Moose visited Rockford. He's going to be a good one.

Old
04-11-2011, 05:40 PM
Kid_Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawksfan79 View Post
Big Buff was a huge factor last year, he did get into Luongo's head, but if Luongo thinks for one second that they're not going to try and get into his kitchen and get into his head again, he has another thing coming. We will see if Luongo has the mental toughness to overcome this or will he fold again. I'd argue just as big a factor to the Hawks winning that series last year was Kane, Toews, Keith, Seabrook, and Bolland. That's who Vancouver should be worrying about. With that said, hope it's a good series!
I'm worried the Hawks will beat the Canucks again, I fully admit that.

But honestly, Byfuglien KILLED the Canucks last year. No Buff is a huge huge huge factor this year. The Hawks are a deep team, no doubt, but geezus, Buff made the Canucks lose their mind and focus on countless occasions.

No Buff has me feeling far more confident about this year, than last year. Series could easily go either way, but as a Canucks fan, I would not discount what Buff did to our team last year. They can try and get in Luongo's kitchen, but the Canucks can deal with that far easier than they could trying to deal with freaking Buff.

Old
04-11-2011, 05:43 PM
YouCantYandleThis*
Moustache Enthusiast

The first part was basically the more loud obnoxious members of the fanbase mouthing off so hopefully they got their fill and we can have some real hockey discussion.

As Red was saying, I would love to know why the regular season matters in early November (a 7-1 loss) but doesn't matter the rest.

Ive seen post after post saying, "the regular season doesn't mean anything, it's a whole new game", followed by another post saying, "we beat you 7-1!!"

It's kinda hilarious.

Old
04-11-2011, 05:46 PM
Horvat2Virtanen
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vayls View Post
Canucks in 5

If Chicago can't win (or tie) 1 game to clinch a playoff spot against an injured, resting Detroit team, they won't make it past Vancouver.
That is actually a fairly good point. Anyway I think scoreboard wise it'll be close every game, but in terms of result Canucks in 5

Old
04-11-2011, 05:48 PM
TOML

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Wellwood maybe, but Johnson definitely not. There's not a worse "defensive" forward in the entire NHL. I've never seen a player that defends passing lanes so poorly, nor one with such abysmal shot-blocking technique.

Hodgson will probably play 8-12 minutes with favorable match-ups and two good defensive forwards. He was adequate as a 4th line centre earlier this season.

The fact that you attribute the "turnaround" of their of these teams to those acquisitions is also laughable. Is your next post going to detail what a good luck charm Jeff Tambellini is for the Canucks and how glaring his ommission from the Game 1 lineup will be?
Both Wellwood and Johnson have been better for their new teams as of late.

The Canucks seem to have wanted too much from these depth players.

Old
04-11-2011, 05:48 PM
SchruteFarms
Cup #5!

Quote:
Originally Posted by icebank_miceelf View Post
The first part was basically the more loud obnoxious members of the fanbase mouthing off so hopefully they got their fill and we can have some real hockey discussion.

As Red was saying, I would love to know why the regular season matters in early November (a 7-1 loss) but doesn't matter the rest.

Ive seen post after post saying, "the regular season doesn't mean anything, it's a whole new game", followed by another post saying, "we beat you 7-1!!"

It's kinda hilarious.
The regular season matters in that it measures a teams consistency. Consistency is helpful during a cup run, but it's obviously not the be all end all in hockey because the 8 seed beats the 1 seed much more regularly than in most other sports with playoff series. That's my take.

Old
04-11-2011, 05:50 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
Did anyone post this yet? Kinda interesting:

Quote:
@DustinDrews
Interesting stat. 45% of Chicago's goals in last years Nucks/Hawks series were scored by players they no longer have.

Old
04-11-2011, 05:53 PM
SchruteFarms
Cup #5!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmyheadhurts View Post
Buff probably accounts for 75% of that 45%...

Old
04-11-2011, 05:54 PM
YouCantYandleThis*
Moustache Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchruteFarms View Post
The regular season matters in that it measures a teams consistency. Consistency is helpful during a cup run, but it's obviously not the be all end all in hockey because the 8 seed beats the 1 seed much more regularly than in most other sports with playoff series. That's my take.
Thats not the point, even if it is a good one.

The point is, why is 1 game from November a viable comparison between these two teams, yet the rest of the Canucks regular season games aren't.

I'm just saying, when Canuck fans say, "The Blackhawks barely made the playoffs!", we hear:, "well the regular season doesn't matter anyways."

And then i scroll down and starting seeing beaking by the same people about a 7-1 loss back in November.

8th seeds do beat the 1 seeds from time to time, but It's still not the norm, which HF seems to have taken an affinity to. (Blackhawks beating the Canucks).

Old
04-11-2011, 05:58 PM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Biggest Canuck Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmyheadhurts View Post
For me that is the true key to the Hawks series victories the last coouple years. Unless kopecky, Stalberg, et al start scoring key goals at key times, and I suppose anything is possible, the Canucks should win this in 6.

Hawks are more than good enough to win a couple games, but Vancouver is good enough for 4 game win. Add to that, the first win was a shoot out in which Luongo was insane until that farce... could've easily been 3-1 for the Canucks.

Old
04-11-2011, 06:01 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Part two?! I go away for the day and this has a new thread? My god...

Old
04-11-2011, 06:01 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMapleLaughs View Post
Both Wellwood and Johnson have been better for their new teams as of late.

The Canucks seem to have wanted too much from these depth players.
Wellwood was a serviceable soldier for the Canucks, especially in the playoffs. He was actually quite a good playoff performer.

Johnson on the other hand was a failed experiment. I can buy, however, that a lot of it had to do with injuries. He was almost always hurt and when he wasn't out with injury, he was playing hurt. Big brass ones and a very nice guy, but his on-ice play was incredibly sub par. Glad he's having success in Chicago, though.

Closed Thread