HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

WCQF: (1) Vancouver Canucks vs (8) Chicago Blackhawks Part II

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-11-2011, 06:01 PM
  #51
kingsfan77
Registered User
 
kingsfan77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 318
vCash: 500
I think momentum will be huge in this series. If Chicago jumps out quick and grabs momentum it could be trouble. If Van gets it I think they roll and just keep rolling to the finals. This could possibly be the best/worst thing for Van depending on the out come. If they win this series I think they are going to have all the momentum needed to carry them past any opponent


With that said I think Van takes this one in 6.

kingsfan77 is offline  
Old
04-11-2011, 06:03 PM
  #52
Dannucksfan
Registered User
 
Dannucksfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 396
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
If Vancouver were like Montreal, the city would burn during this series regardless of whether they win or lose.
Don't forget the riot of '94

Dannucksfan is offline  
Old
04-11-2011, 06:10 PM
  #53
Proto
Registered User
 
Proto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 9,476
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMapleLaughs View Post
Both Wellwood and Johnson have been better for their new teams as of late.

The Canucks seem to have wanted too much from these depth players.
Yes, it sure is a lot to expect a 4th liner signed for in excess of a million dollars to provide 8 minutes of hockey a game that isn't abysmal.

Wellwood was a decent centre, but if Hodgson isn't ready for prime time I feel much more comfortable with some combination of Raymond/Lapierre on the third and 4th lines than Kyle Wellwood. Wellwood would not be able to keep pace with a third line that features Hansen and Raymond.

Regardless, your point about Wellwood and RJ somehow causing some kind of "turnaround" is silly, especially since Chicago never really "turned around" from anything. They just hung around 8th spot all year, minus one brief Towes-led charge up towards the Red Wings.

Proto is online now  
Old
04-11-2011, 06:11 PM
  #54
struckmatch
Registered User
 
struckmatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 3,971
vCash: 500
Game 1 is massive in this series.

The Canucks need to come out with confidence (I think they will considering they are the best team in the NHL so far this season) and play their game.

Lessons should have been learned from the previous two seasons. Focus on playing your game, expect that the Hawks are going to try agitate and get into the faces of our best players, don't let it shift you away from your game.

The Canucks have the depth and skill to win this series in 5 or 6 games, the question is, have they learned enough and are they mature enough to not get too HIGH and not get too LOW, which has been their downfall in season's past.

Killer instinct is absolutely critical, both series the Canucks have won Game 1, then been ahead in Game 2, but not been able to hold on for that 2 - 0 series lead. They need to keep playing their game when they are ahead and not just sit back and defend leads.

The Blackhawks are one of the worst teams in the league to sit back on a lead against.

struckmatch is offline  
Old
04-11-2011, 06:14 PM
  #55
coldsteelonice84
Registered User
 
coldsteelonice84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 26,150
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2lucic View Post
Bruins fan voting for hawks !!!

(2nd fav team)
Hawks fan rooting for Bruins in East, hoping for original 6 SCF Hawks-Bruins.

coldsteelonice84 is offline  
Old
04-11-2011, 06:16 PM
  #56
Chris Hansen
VERSTEEG REDEMPTION
 
Chris Hansen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 10,223
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggest Canuck Fan View Post
For me that is the true key to the Hawks series victories the last coouple years. Unless kopecky, Stalberg, et al start scoring key goals at key times, and I suppose anything is possible, the Canucks should win this in 6.

Hawks are more than good enough to win a couple games, but Vancouver is good enough for 4 game win. Add to that, the first win was a shoot out in which Luongo was insane until that farce... could've easily been 3-1 for the Canucks.
Fair enough on the shootout. I think it'd be fair to just disregard that game altogether since we all know that a shootout says nothing about team quality.

However, if you're going to go back and start saying who should've won which game... well. Even Vancouver fans should be able to admit that the Hawks got absolutely screwed in the last game between the two in Vancouver. Blown calls all over the place. If homerism prevents you crazy Nuckers from seeing that, I won't continue to argue, but just saying

Gonna be an awesome series, no matter the result. These two teams always combine for some of the best hockey.

Chris Hansen is offline  
Old
04-11-2011, 06:19 PM
  #57
Tomahawk214
i'm not even mad
 
Tomahawk214's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Davis, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,162
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by struckmatch View Post
The Canucks need to come out with confidence (I think they will considering they are the best team in the NHL so far this season) and play their game.
08-09 Sharks and 09-10 Caps say hello.

Tomahawk214 is offline  
Old
04-11-2011, 06:19 PM
  #58
CpatainCanuck
Registered User
 
CpatainCanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,722
vCash: 500
Many are saying game one is super important, and they're right. The canucks, if they win, will have confidence in their systems. If they lose they may start falling apart like last year.

CpatainCanuck is offline  
Old
04-11-2011, 06:23 PM
  #59
Timbo Slice
Tank Nation
 
Timbo Slice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Rochester
Country: United States
Posts: 15,585
vCash: 500
Oh man, I love that this is on part II like 24 hours after the thread was even posted. Cannot freaking wait for this series!

Timbo Slice is offline  
Old
04-11-2011, 06:24 PM
  #60
xtr3m
Registered User
 
xtr3m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,247
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CpatainCanuck View Post
Many are saying game one is super important, and they're right. The canucks, if they win, will have confidence in their systems. If they lose they may start falling apart like last year.
The good guys won the first games both times. Next.

xtr3m is offline  
Old
04-11-2011, 06:26 PM
  #61
The Vinstar
Registered User
 
The Vinstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Brantford, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 384
vCash: 500
The nucks this year have the depth that chicago had last year.

The Vinstar is offline  
Old
04-11-2011, 06:28 PM
  #62
CpatainCanuck
Registered User
 
CpatainCanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,722
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtr3m View Post
The good guys won the first games both times. Next.
The thing is Vancouver is actually a better team than Chicago this year eh?

CpatainCanuck is offline  
Old
04-11-2011, 06:29 PM
  #63
Canucks5551
Registered User
 
Canucks5551's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Vancouver Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,172
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrypik View Post
I like the 2010 Stanley Cup Champions being the underdog!

Matter of fact, I think the Hawks have been the underdogs in the 08-09 playoffs(Calgary, Vancouver) and most of the 09-10 playoffs(Vancouver and San Jose) to many so called hockey analyst.
Say what? After Calgary completely collapsed down the stretch in 2009, everyone thought the Hawks would decimate the Flames. The only posters picking Calgary to win were Flames fans. I was shocked it went as far as it did. They were probably slight underdogs against Vancouver because of their age, but it was hardly a shock when they won.

In 2010, Chicago was the favourite against Vancouver and San Jose. Everyone and their dog was spouting off about how big of chokers the two teams were before the series.

Canucks5551 is offline  
Old
04-11-2011, 06:29 PM
  #64
Chris Hansen
VERSTEEG REDEMPTION
 
Chris Hansen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 10,223
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKINNERistheFUTURE View Post
The nucks this year have the depth that chicago had last year.
Vancouver's third line is not even remotely close to Chicago's from last year.

EDIT: Taking a look, Vancouver's bottom 6 is not very good at all. Chicago's is worse, no doubt, but things don't look anywhere near as good for the Canucks when Malhotra is out of the lineup. I do really like Raymond, though - whatever I just said aside, he at least is a very nice player to have on a third line.

Chris Hansen is offline  
Old
04-11-2011, 06:33 PM
  #65
Dannucksfan
Registered User
 
Dannucksfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 396
vCash: 500
yes they are

Dannucksfan is offline  
Old
04-11-2011, 06:35 PM
  #66
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly
 
HawksFan74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 15,392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo Slice View Post
Oh man, I love that this is on part II like 24 hours after the thread was even posted. Cannot freaking wait for this series!
If these two threads are any indication, the NHL is loving this first round match up. Everyone thanks you Minnesota!

HawksFan74 is offline  
Old
04-11-2011, 06:36 PM
  #67
coldsteelonice84
Registered User
 
coldsteelonice84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 26,150
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by struckmatch View Post
Game 1 is massive in this series.

The Canucks need to come out with confidence (I think they will considering they are the best team in the NHL so far this season) and play their game.

Lessons should have been learned from the previous two seasons. Focus on playing your game, expect that the Hawks are going to try agitate and get into the faces of our best players, don't let it shift you away from your game.

The Canucks have the depth and skill to win this series in 5 or 6 games, the question is, have they learned enough and are they mature enough to not get too HIGH and not get too LOW, which has been their downfall in season's past.

Killer instinct is absolutely critical, both series the Canucks have won Game 1, then been ahead in Game 2, but not been able to hold on for that 2 - 0 series lead. They need to keep playing their game when they are ahead and not just sit back and defend leads.

The Blackhawks are one of the worst teams in the league to sit back on a lead against.
Excellent post.

On paper, the Canucks should win this in 6. However, with the mental edge we have on Vancouver, I think you have to expect 7, hope for better for either team. The Hawks know they can always come back vs Canucks. Vancouver likes to play at a little bit slower pace to get their sets going. Hawks like speed and quick attack. We need to have a relentless forcheck, 20 strong for 60, Crawford makes good outlet passes so 21. Fight every battle like when the seconds were ticking down vs Detroit; they should remember the feeling. Bickell NEEDS to step up and have a huge series. Time to throw the body around all game and fire hard accurate shots on Luongo, make him bring out the high end save. When without puck on forcheck, go to the net and screen. For Q, use forward Hossa and D Keith and Seabrook carefully. We need production from these guys; keep them fresh, at least early in the series. Campoli and Leddy are both big reasons the team is here and their speed and puck moving ability play well against Vancouver. Crawford just needs to look at it as just another game like all year. He's been ridiculously consistent all year and is the least of my concerns. I've been the biggest supporter of Crawford and Bickell all year; I think they have the goods and ability to step up. If we're gonna win this series and defend our Stanley Cup; I think these guys are the ones that are going to make the difference.

coldsteelonice84 is offline  
Old
04-11-2011, 06:36 PM
  #68
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:
 
Mafoofoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 13,060
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKINNERistheFUTURE View Post
The nucks this year have the depth that chicago had last year.
This years Canucks do not have the depth last year's Blackhawks had. That's a ridiculous statement.

Mafoofoo is offline  
Old
04-11-2011, 06:37 PM
  #69
Chris Hansen
VERSTEEG REDEMPTION
 
Chris Hansen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 10,223
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CpatainCanuck View Post
The thing is Vancouver is actually a better team than Chicago this year eh?
On paper, certainly. Still have to play the games, though, and Vancouver's past with the Hawks doesn't look particularly promising. The Hawks will need to exploit this psychological advantage (if it exists... personally, I think it does) if they're going to win this series.

Chris Hansen is offline  
Old
04-11-2011, 06:37 PM
  #70
Biggest Canuck Fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: West Kelowna, BC
Posts: 10,451
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Biggest Canuck Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
Fair enough on the shootout. I think it'd be fair to just disregard that game altogether since we all know that a shootout says nothing about team quality.

However, if you're going to go back and start saying who should've won which game... well. Even Vancouver fans should be able to admit that the Hawks got absolutely screwed in the last game between the two in Vancouver. Blown calls all over the place. If homerism prevents you crazy Nuckers from seeing that, I won't continue to argue, but just saying

Gonna be an awesome series, no matter the result. These two teams always combine for some of the best hockey.
No I think that is also fair. it would be nice if the officiating would be fair, and let's hope it is. I personally like the Hawks, always have. I like Toews and Kane. I just wanted the Canucks to beat them on 09, cause I knew they wouldn't last year.

Again, I think that stat of 45% of the past scoring gone will be a massive factor. The hawks will win if their bottom 6 can be as effective as the previous bottom line players.

If not, Vancouver can score enough and play strong enough defense to win the games they need to.

Biggest Canuck Fan is offline  
Old
04-11-2011, 06:39 PM
  #71
Canucks5551
Registered User
 
Canucks5551's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Vancouver Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,172
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksFan74 View Post
If these two threads are any indication, the NHL is loving this first round match up. Everyone thanks you Minnesota!
I don't. I wanted to have a quick 4 game decimation of the Stars. Screw excitement and close games when it comes to my team

Canucks5551 is offline  
Old
04-11-2011, 06:39 PM
  #72
Biggest Canuck Fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: West Kelowna, BC
Posts: 10,451
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Biggest Canuck Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafoofoo View Post
This years Canucks do not have the depth last year's Blackhawks had. That's a ridiculous statement.
Totally agree. That team, if they stayed together would've won 3 or even 4 cups. i truly believe that. It was a ridiculously deep team.

Biggest Canuck Fan is offline  
Old
04-11-2011, 06:39 PM
  #73
canuckerfan
Registered User
 
canuckerfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Burnaby, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,306
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to canuckerfan
seriously can't wait till wednesday

canuckerfan is offline  
Old
04-11-2011, 06:39 PM
  #74
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly
 
HawksFan74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 15,392
vCash: 500
Can we just call up Beach, throw a Buff mask/jersey on him and park him in front of the net. I think it will really help even if he sucks.

HawksFan74 is offline  
Old
04-11-2011, 06:42 PM
  #75
CpatainCanuck
Registered User
 
CpatainCanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,722
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
Vancouver's third line is not even remotely close to Chicago's from last year.

EDIT: Taking a look, Vancouver's bottom 6 is not very good at all. Chicago's is worse, no doubt, but things don't look anywhere near as good for the Canucks when Malhotra is out of the lineup. I do really like Raymond, though - whatever I just said aside, he at least is a very nice player to have on a third line.
Malhotra being injured really does put a damper on the canucks depth.

However the remaining bottom six players are still decent.

Raymond-Hodgson-Hansen has a lot of skill, speed and audacity. Raymond can put pucks in the net if he's fed good passes and Hansen is a great forchecker. It's unfortunate that the canucks couldn't call Hodgson up sooner due to the salary cap; however if that line clicks it could be very good.

Glass-Lapierre-Oreskovich are tough and hard to play against to a man. I expect this line to be able to hold its own for the 7-8 minutes a game they get.

CpatainCanuck is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:14 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.