HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

WCQF: (1) Vancouver Canucks vs (8) Chicago Blackhawks Part II

Closed Thread

Old
04-11-2011, 08:35 PM
Britton

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchruteFarms View Post
Aside from PP/PK, I think the key to this series will be how well the Canucks handle the Hawks forecheck. When the Canucks have lost to the Blackhawks it's seems to me that the defensemen aren't making good passes or good decisions against the pressure.

I heard a lot of analysts, including Eddie Olczyk this morning, say that the Canucks struggle against the Hawks when they try to play too fast. I disagree because the miscues against the forecheck just make it look like they are playing too fast. If the Canucks defensemen play with poise it will be very difficult for the Hawks to pull the upset.
I'd say the Canucks management agrees with your analysis. There was a clear shift in the direction of the defense this summer letting Mitchell walk and trading O'brien to bring in two guys in Hamhuis and Ballard that both move the puck well and have the skating ability to carry it out. I'd say that the biggest difference between this year and last two years is the ability to move the puck quickly out of the zone and not just firing it off the glass either. The Hawks had a lot of sustained pressure in the last two series where they would just wear the Canucks down and the Canucks just couldn't get it out without firing it off the glass and that often backfired. Game 4 in 08-09 was a perfect example of this. It didn't help that it lead to a lot of penalties and the Canucks PK was terrible last season.

Old
04-11-2011, 08:46 PM
brangle

I'm really looking forward to this series. I think that this is the best match-up of the first round given the history/rivalry & think that it will be a hell of series - it may be the best hockey all year.

Some of the factors that I think could be key:

- Luongo & his mental make-up - he has played great lately but will he melt down against the Hawks again? If he does, will AV be willing to give Schneider a shot? I think that this is the #1 factor as if Luongo is good & consistent then Vancouver should have the advantage in goal & I think that the Canucks will win.

- Chicago depth - the depth that Chicago had in their forwards last year was incredible - it really is too bad that Byfuglien & Ladd are not going to be involved in this series as they really had a big role in the outcome of the physical battles that Chicago won last year - the 45% of goals scored in this series last year that were from players no longer on the Blackhawks is a big stat - can someone else step into the role that Byfuglien/Brouwer/Ladd performed so well & get into the heads of the Canucks? If they do, then it increases the chance of a Canucks meltdown & the Blackhawks winning the series.

- Defense - I think that Chicago has the best pair in Keith/Seabrook & I expect them to play against the Sedins a lot - Vancouver has much better depth on D this year with Hamhuis & Ballard around & that could make a difference this year. Last year Chicago definitely had the advantage on D but this year it may be even.

- Malhotra - the Canucks regular season PK & faceoff stats were very good as AV had the advantage of being able to use both Malhotra & Kesler to win face-offs & kill penalties. Now it is only Kesler to take the key defensive faceoffs. Hodgson will not likely be able to step up & play to near the level that Malhotra would have - Canucks advantage on the 3rd & 4th lines is not as significant as it would have been if Manny was available (there may not be any anymore advantage at all).

- Line Matching - I think that Q has outcoached AV in the last 2 series - Given that Bolland is questionable & Malhotra is out, I expect that the initial line matching will involve Q trying to get Toews line out against the Sedins & AV trying to get Kesler's line out against Toews - I also expect Keith/Seabrook to be out against the Sedins a lot - Bolland could be a key player in this series if he can play & be effective.

- Team confidence - Chicago might feel better about this matchup then any other matchup that they could have had as they have eliminated the Canucks two straight years - they backed into the playoffs but if they win one of the games in Vancouver then the series could get really interesting - Vancouver has to keep an even keel emotionally (which they've been doing for the most part all year) but that will be truly put to the test in this series - if Vancouver has another meltdown then Chicago should be able to win this series.

Wild Card - will one of the role players/depth players step up & play a key role in this series like Byfuglien did last year?

The series could come down to special teams, coaching & mental toughness.

All in all, I expect this to be a really good series but for Vancouver to win in 6.

Old
04-11-2011, 08:48 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by brangle View Post
I
- Defense - I think that Chicago has the best pair in Keith/Seabrook & I expect them to play against the Sedins a lot - Vancouver has much better depth on D this year with Hamhuis & Ballard around & that could make a difference this year. Last year Chicago definitely had the advantage on D but this year it may be even.
Might be even? After Keith and Seabrook, who are better than Edler and Ehrhoff, sure (not by much this year going by the numbers) Hamhuis-Bieksa-Ballard and Salo lay waste to Campbell/Hjalmarsson/Campoli/Leddy.

Old
04-11-2011, 08:52 PM
Apu
GotOutOfABinTime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
Coaching staff is canned if we lose in the 1st round you can believe that.
Maybe except for Newell Brown.

Old
04-11-2011, 08:54 PM
Chris Hansen
THESE LEGS ARE FRESH

Quote:
Might be even? After Keith and Seabrook, who are better than Edler and Ehrhoff, sure (not by much this year going by the numbers) Hamhuis-Bieksa-Ballard and Salo lay waste to Campbell/Hjalmarsson/Campoli/Leddy.
Campbell is grossly underrated. He is superior to any of the defensemen on the Canucks not named Edler or Ehrhoff.
Given Ballard's lack of an offensive game this year, I don't really see how he's any different from Hjalmarsson. Does an occasional hip check make him better?
Campoli and Leddy are clearly inferior to whatever last two defensemen the Canucks offer up, but I don't think it's as big as the gap between Keith/Seabrook and Ehrhoff/Edler. I am NOT insulting the Canucks' top pairing there... only saying that a cup-winning duo that shut down some of the most dominant players in the league successfully last year certainly has an edge.

So, to make a long story short, and this is no more than my opinion so I respect it fully if you disagree.
Hawks have a better first pairing.
The second pairings are fairly even.
Canucks have a better third pairing.

If you disagree and have an argument, present it. You'll find that I am actually able to talk sensibly about other organizations besides my favorite team, unlike many of the posters (on both the Vancouver and Chicago sides) on these boards

Old
04-11-2011, 08:55 PM
Ubi Sunt
Hater/Loser

Some posters are talking about how the first game is key to the series, and I disagree, but it is sort of bogus that the Canucks could win 10 more games than the Hawks over a six month long season to earn home ice advantage but then could lose it one night.

Quote:
We should rank all of the defensemen to work this out. There's plenty of time.

Old
04-11-2011, 08:56 PM
Cullksinikers

Quote:
#Blackhawks center Dave Bolland is making the trip to Vancouver for first round of playoffs.
-Chris Kuc

The Sedins are happy.

Old
04-11-2011, 08:59 PM
Amaro out

vCash: 230
I think the 1st game is incredibly important to the Canucks, if the Hawks do win game 1 you would have to wonder if it would affect their psyche.

Old
04-11-2011, 09:00 PM
gino718711

I can't stand the Chicago Blackhawks. I also hope that the Blackhawks never make the playoffs again until Hossa's contracts up . Vancover I think is gonna make a run, Cannucks vs Pens in the cup.

Old
04-11-2011, 09:01 PM
YouCantYandleThis*
Moustache Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
-Chris Kuc

The Sedins are happy.

Glad to hear it. Conky's are awful, I find it really hard to believe he'll play Game 1 unless he makes miracle progress though..

The guy just started skating?

Old
04-11-2011, 09:05 PM
Cullksinikers

Quote:
Originally Posted by icebank_miceelf View Post
Glad to hear it. Conky's are awful, I find it really hard to believe he'll play Game 1 unless he makes miracle progress though..

Quote:
"He made major progress this week," Hawks coach Joel Quenneville said. "We'll continue to monitor that progress. It's been positive recently. It was a tough road over the last month or so, but things changed quickly. I don't have anything more to report or prognosticate, but we hope that he's able to be a part of the first round and be a part of it early in this series."
-Coach Q

Old
04-11-2011, 09:07 PM
Chris Hansen
THESE LEGS ARE FRESH

Quote:
Originally Posted by icebank_miceelf View Post

I'd agree with you there. I don't even want Bolland in for Game 1, just because he's not going to be anywhere near ready to take on the job he'll eventually be asked (shutting down the Sedins). You have to get the feel for the game back before you can really be effective - anyone who has played organized hockey knows it.

Give him another few days to practice and recover, and I'd say Game 2 is much more reasonable.

Old
04-11-2011, 09:10 PM
CpatainCanuck

The more I think about the line of Raymond-Hodgson-Hansen the more I think it has the capability be very good.

Each of these players is very good at some parts of the game but mediocre at others.

-Hodgson sees the ice extremely well, but so far lacks the speed and physical strength to be a dominant player.
-Raymond has great speed and a good shot; but has average hockey sense.
-Hansen has good speed and is a great hardnosed hitter and forchecker; but lacks the hands to provide much offence.

Put them together and hopefully they will each be able to focus on the areas of the game they excel at and not have to play outside of their abilities.

Old
digdug41982

vCash: 50
Keith
Edler
Seabrook
Campbell
Ehrhoff
Hamuis
Hjalmarsson
Bieksa
Ballard
Campoli
Salo
Leddy

Last edited by digdug41982: 04-11-2011 at 09:25 PM.
Old
committedindian86
Teuvo Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonSexualManCrush View Post
http://youtu.be/V3nVHkxDA1M

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/V3nVHkxDA1M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I think this video from our fair city gives the Vancouver video a run for its money. It also symbolizes how the Hawks need to keep the cup and have a guy with a mullet.

Last edited by committedindian86: 04-11-2011 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Hyperlink error
Old
04-11-2011, 09:12 PM
Ubi Sunt
Hater/Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by committedindian86 View Post
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/V3nVHkxDA1M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I think this video from our fair city gives the Vancouver video a run for its money. It also symbolizes how the Hawks need to keep the cup and have a guy with a mullet.

i have no idea what i'm posting i just formatted it correctly

taking a big risk here

Old
04-11-2011, 09:13 PM
Chris Hansen
THESE LEGS ARE FRESH

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Keith
Edler
Seabrook
Campbell
Ehrhoff
Hjalmarsson
Ballard
Campoli
Salo
Leddy
My take:
Keith
Edler
Seabrook
Ehrhoff
Campbell
Hamhuis
Salo
Hjalmarsson/Ballard/Campoli/Bieksa
Leddy

Had trouble ranking those 4 that are all in the same row. All seem to have their fair share of strengths and weaknesses... difficult to really put any one above the other.

Old
04-11-2011, 09:14 PM
JBIZ14

Quote:
Originally Posted by committedindian86 View Post

There ya go.

treeeeed.

Best of luck to Chicago...this should be a blast to watch...and the games should be good too

Old
Sportix*

Anyone else's breathing get shallow when thinking about game 1 starting?

Old
chopkins
Super Bowl Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Keith
Edler
Seabrook
Campbell
Ehrhoff
Hamhuis
Hjalmarsson
Bieksa
Ballard
Campoli
Salo
Leddy
Fixed.

And wow at the insane number of quality defencemen in this series.

Top 2 Dmen: Keith, Seabrook, Campbell, Edler, Ehrhoff
Top 4: Hjalmarsson, Hamhuis, Bieksa, Ballard, Salo

Not too sure how Campoli has played...

Old
04-11-2011, 09:18 PM
CpatainCanuck

Remember this one?

Too bad Willie is gone. However we now have Hamhuis and Ballard so we're all good.

Old
digdug41982

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthVanCanuck View Post
Fixed.

And wow at the insane number of quality defencemen in this series.
My bad, lol. Brain fart with your guys revolving D. Will be great series defensively.

Old
Lz68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubi Sunt View Post

i have no idea what i'm posting i just formatted it correctly

taking a big risk here
That video is awesome

Old
04-11-2011, 09:19 PM
Chris Hansen
THESE LEGS ARE FRESH

Quote:
Originally Posted by CpatainCanuck View Post
Remember this one?

Too bad Willie is gone. However we now have Hamhuis and Ballard so we're all good.
Brouwer's suicide pass

Old
04-11-2011, 09:20 PM
Cullksinikers

Both teams can score, defend, and have good goaltending.

Plus, they hate each other.

Awesome.

Closed Thread