HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kreider is staying at BC (Won't change mind. Summer school)

Old
06-12-2011, 12:40 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duskfamous View Post
He has the raw tools, but if his coaches aren't using him in key situation, that's not a good sign.
Umm... York does.

PP, PK, 4v4.

He was an UNDERCLASSMAN, and that's why he wasn't getting top line minutes.

He'll be an upperclassman now, and on a team that just lost a handful of go-to players.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 12:41 PM
egelband

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
We drafted him in the first round the play hockey and he can get his education after his hockey career. People have done it. It's not a matter of education over hockey.
i agree with this...it's his right to do what he wants with his life, but i think going pro would be better for his chosen career.
as one earlier poster said, i would expect this guy to dominate college hockey. tho i would also think it's a different game in a lot of ways. i think going pro makes more sense...

egelband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 12:42 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 400
If he stays at BC I dont think that is bad thing for you guys

BC coaching is well regarded and that should make his transition to NHL better

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 12:49 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Umm... York does.

PP, PK, 4v4.

He'll be an upperclassman now, and on a team that just lost a handful of go-to players.
With Kreider's draft, raw tools and international pedigree, it is disappointing not to see him getting top minutes over scubs like Jimmy Hayes and Brian Gibbons.

I guess the only choice right now is to send him back to York so he can destroy the league instead of trying to survive and find his game in the AHL/NHL.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 12:56 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
With Kreider's draft, raw tools and international pedigree, it is disappointing not to see him getting top minutes over scubs like Jimmy Hayes and Brian Gibbons.

I guess the only choice right now is to send him back to York so he can destroy the league instead of trying to survive and find his game in the AHL/NHL.
Again... They were upperclassmen.

Kreider will be an upperclassman now.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 01:02 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Again... They were upperclassmen.

Kreider will be an upperclassman now.
Chris Kreider doesn't even know what he'll become. Time will tell, but doesn't look good so far.

Old
06-12-2011, 01:06 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Jesus this thread has a lot of overreacting in it.

06-12-2011, 01:19 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Chris Kreider doesn't even know what he'll become. Time will tell, but doesn't look good so far.
Hayes and Gibbons were not bad players. As someone else said Kreider was an underclassmen and he was still used pretty much in all situations.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 01:27 PM
McSauer
Defense Wins Games

With this news, I can def see us moving him for a top LW (maybe even as soon as draft day)...I just don't understand this: we draft him 19th overall and he still wants to **** around in college? People go to college to get a good job after school and make a nice salary and good living (I should know, considering I'm in the my fifth year of school for my MBA); but if I had the option of making MILLIONS, I'd drop it in a second--and I'm less than two months away! Ridiculous...

McSauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 01:29 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASeparatePeace View Post
With this news, I can def see us moving him for a top LW (maybe even as soon as draft day)...I just don't understand this: we draft him 19th overall and he still wants to **** around in college? People go to college to get a good job after school and make a nice salary and good living (I should know, considering I'm in the my fifth year of school for my MBA); but if I had the option of making MILLIONS, I'd drop it in a second--and I'm less than two months away! Ridiculous...
He's probably getting a degree because he knows he won't be in the NHL for long. This is a bust of a pick because it seems like Kreider doesn't want to become a pro or Ranger. Not a good first impression.

Old
06-12-2011, 01:35 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
He's probably getting a degree because he knows he won't be in the NHL for long. This is a bust of a pick because it seems like Kreider doesn't want to become a pro or Ranger. Not a good first impression.
lmao i'll assume you are being sarcastic

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 01:39 PM
CH2

Good for Kreider, stay on campus, take classes, hit the weight room, work towards getting your degree early. You have to wonder how much the itch to turn pro is behind his decision to take summer classes. If he loads his summer schedule correctly he could probably graduate next spring which would allow him to turn pro without having to go back to finish school.

Let's not forget between college hockey and world championships the kid hasn't had much time to be a normal college student. Let him enjoy college and getting an education while he can.

CH2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 01:44 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Not a good decision. Going back tp bc is a questionable move development wise.

Seems to me perhaps someone wants to stay one more year in college expecting
to make the jump from college to the NHL and bypass any chance of having to go to Hartford, ala Ryan McDonough. Seemed to have worked pretty well for Ryan. Step made the jump but his maturity and hockey iq was way beyond kreider at the same point.

Ryan and Derek can go back and finish their degrees at any time. Their life goal was to be pro athlete not a college athlete. Same for Chris but he stays even though the whole world knows we want to sign him. Bad move bro.

I hope I'm wrong. If true, this is the NCAA equivalent of staying in Russia one more year and then coming over, ala tarasenko.

Kreider was drafted in the first round to play pro hockey. Not stay in college and
play 40odd games on a so-so NCAA squad against other marginal competition.

I can't say I'm happy with this decision one bit.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 01:44 PM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Hope he does well at BC this year.

Looking forward to him joining the Rangers next season.

klingsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 01:45 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Quote:
Umm... York does.

PP, PK, 4v4.

And thats how he determines ice time? I think that alone shows what a joke the coach is. I guess we should be glad that Torts didnt run the team like that, giving vets all the ice time and not the kids just because they were older.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 01:54 PM
nrf83

I find the angst of NYR fans that Kreider wants to continue his education extremely amusing. Chris is a very talented player who was very raw coming out of NE Prep school. Jerry York is teaching him how to play a more complete game and is bringing him along slowly IMO. Now the reigns are off and Chris is going to sink or swim as BC's top gun; should be a fun season.

BTW where were all the "experts" when Hagelin was putting in his 4 yrs at Michigan, nary a word about how stupid he was. Oh thats right Hagelin was a lousy 7th pick and who cared? He put up pretty good numbers in his development. I'm hoping Kreider can put up similar numbers now that he will be the go to guy. This is going to be an extremely interesting season at BC.

nrf83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 02:01 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
well if even Kreider doesn't know, you're in no place to speculate. So I guess his two WJC and playing in the Worlds against NHL, SEL, KHL, pro men players doesn't look good so far? How many college sophmores are honored with such an opportunity?

Quote:
holy baseless speculation batman. I suppose Carl Hagelin also knows he won't be in the NHL for long. Surely that is why he got his degree. Do you know who also got their degree? Chris Drury, Martin St. Louis, and Marty Turco. I can't even fathom why you would make such misguided conclusions. No a good first impression.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 02:03 PM
RangerBlues

Kid made his choice. Good for him. I would be more concerned if we are having this same discussion next year.

RangerBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 02:03 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
Not a good decision. Going back tp bc is a questionable move development wise.

Seems to me perhaps someone wants to stay one more year in college expecting
to make the jump from college to the NHL and bypass any chance of having to go to Hartford, ala Ryan McDonough. Seemed to have worked pretty well for Ryan. Step made the jump but his maturity and hockey iq was way beyond kreider at the same point.

Ryan and Derek can go back and finish their degrees at any time. Their life goal was to be pro athlete not a college athlete. Same for Chris but he stays even though the whole world knows we want to sign him. Bad move bro.

I hope I'm wrong. If true, this is the NCAA equivalent of staying in Russia one more year and then coming over, ala tarasenko.

Kreider was drafted in the first round to play pro hockey. Not stay in college and
play 40odd games on a so-so NCAA squad against other marginal competition.

I can't say I'm happy with this decision one bit.
I agree 100% with this. But apparently we can't show disappointment with our number 1 prospect not wanting to turn pro yet even though playing in the AHL would very likely be great for him.

As a person, I couldn't care less. I'm glad Chris is having a good time in college. As a Rangers fan, i'm disappointed.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 02:15 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Interesting. I'm not thrilled with the news, but the thing that bugs me about people's reactions here are the assumptions about his motivation.

Honestly, all other things being equal, I'd rather see him go pro - because as a Rangers' fan, I have seen quotes from the organization where they say that they'd like him to turn pro. While I agree with the sentiment that "you can always finish your degree later", maybe that's not his concern? Maybe the people that HE trusts regarding his hockey career and development are advising him that this is the best course for his career and that he'll actually develop better at BC.

Again, I'd rather see him turn pro, but barring a statement from him that he's staying to be close to a girl or to party as a BMOC or simply to finish his degree before leaving, we can't assume we know why he's staying.

Last edited by BrooklynRangersFan: 06-12-2011 at 02:20 PM.
BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 02:21 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

I'd rather Chris play 45 games in Boston at 21 minutes a night than 80 games in Hartford at 12 minutes a night. If he does well in Hartford, yeah, he'll get more ice time, but if he doesn't he will get little ice time and that would be bad for his development. His minutes and next to guaranteed with York and minutes will be the most important thing for his development. People also seem to forget that in College Hockey, while they play for 45 games, they also practice another 45 games worth. 5x more than they get to in pro hockey because they don't have a bottom line to meet selling tickets like pro teams do.

Next summer, it'll be more like of an issue because he's gotten all that development time in by then and being a year older and more experienced would garner him more ice time in Hartford. Where he probably should spend 1/2 a season a la McDonagh or even 1 - 1.5 seasons a la Dubinsky/Callahan.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 02:22 PM
3Four3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Again, I'd rather see him turn pro, but barring a statement from him that he's staying to be close to a girl or to party as a BMOC or simply to finish his degree before leaving, we can't assume we know why he's staying.
No party can come close to what would happen here in NYC.

I remember hearing the story of the Rangers going to a strip club and Mess brought the Stanley Cup with him. The "no touching rule" was revoked and the Cup didn't glisten that much in the joint because there was so much yayo floating around.

Anyone remember the interview Eddie Olczyk gave in the locker room? And that was just in the locker room. God knows what the hell they were doing later that night.

3Four3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 03:15 PM
Leslie Treff
Hockey's Future Staff

I just wrote a blog post on this subject. It can be read at: http://hfrangersblog.com/2011/06/12/...ollege-player/

Leslie Treff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 03:24 PM
MSG the place to be*

Chris, you better rack up points this year to keep the teenage hfboards users off your back.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 03:25 PM
clmetsfan

I think the people most disappointed about this are those who had Kreider penciled in at LW along with Richards and Gaborik. I agree it's not the best decision for us from a development standpoint, but it's hardly the bad omen that many here are making it out to be.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote