HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Comeau vs. Okposo

Old
04-11-2011, 05:33 PM
ziggy7716

vCash: 500
Comeau vs. Okposo

The thread of Comeau being a core player brought this on because Okposo was being talked about as well. So the question is, going foward who is going to be more valuable for us?

The way I see it is Okposo for sure seems to be harder working, better defensively more of a leader. I gave him a little bit of a pass this season due to his shoulder injury and never finding his groove. I am however a little nervous if he is going to find is offensive game. Comeau on the other hand had a break out year of sorts with 24 goals, he's got a great shot, especially when he drops into the slot and gets that one-time pass, he could have had alot more then 24, but he rang it off the iron alot on that shot he takes. He's a above average skater, makes strong hits, and even though some people claim he's lazy or doesn't backcheck he still gets a decent amount of PK time, so Capuano trusts him as a defensive foward. I think it's close, I think Blake Comeau may very well end up being the more offensive player and possibly more valuable in the end. I think next season we will get a better of understanding who it will be. One thing I have to disagree on is alot people say Comeau is a third-liner, I think he can be more then that, 24 goals is nothing to sneeze at. I guarantee if played on the top line he would have 30 plus goals.

ziggy7716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 05:40 PM
Isles Junkie

Kyle put up 52 points in his 2nd full year in the league. Kyle is and always will be the better player in all ends of the ice.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 05:45 PM
BillD

Ziggy, I am a supporter of Comeau and have been critical of Okposo. I think they are closer in value than most people think, but I still give the edge to Okposo..
Is he a leader and futre Captain material? I don't see any reason to believe that he is.
Sure he works hard almost all the time, but he does not do anything special that would change a game or game changing momentum. In just his second year John Tavares, quiet and understated, has done more with his play on the ice to convince me that he is a future Captain.
As for Comeau, I think he is somewhat incomplete, but he is as undervalued on these boards as Okposo is overvalued. Okposo is the more complete player but he may find himself lagging behind Comeau in goal production and definately hitting, Okposo's one big weakness.
Still, Okie 52%-48% in a close call.

Last edited by BillD: 04-11-2011 at 08:47 PM.
BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 05:52 PM
TheBoss22

I'll never forget the game in Pittsburgh when Okposo got 3 breakaways in 1 shift while shorthanded.

2 breakaways / 1 penalty shot.

Too bad he didn't score on any of them.

Okposo is still more valuable than Comeau.

TheBoss22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 05:53 PM
ziggy7716

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
Kyle put up 52 points in his 2nd full year in the league. Kyle is and always will be the better player in all ends of the ice.
I have to disagree, I don't think Okposo at this point is necessarily better then Comeau offensively, Okposo has yet to hit 20 goals, Comeau scored 24 this year, after scoring 17 last season, I think he is still progressing. Frankly as I said before, I think if given a opportunity to play on the top two lines he would score over 30. I am not sure if Okposo will score 30 goals.

ziggy7716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 05:58 PM
macleod50

vCash: 250
When Okposo starts skating around in circles in the offensive zone a la Jason Blake then maybe I'll consider him and Comeau close. I'd take Okposo over Comeau every time.

macleod50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 06:13 PM
islesfan3991

vCash: 50
Send a message via Yahoo to islesfan3991
I don't think Okposo will ever be a big goal scorer but I think he is a better all around player. I think next season we will see what his full potential is and get a better idea about how he will do. I like Comeau a lot but I have to give the edge to Okposo here.

islesfan3991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 06:18 PM
Macch

What bothers me is Okposo's lack of scoring touch. Hes a great passer and I'd be fine if he nevers becomes a great scorer as long as he becomes a great set up man. Hes great in the corners, but why does it seem like hes always falling down on the ice. Its strange to me.

As far as Comeau goes this is his second straight strong season. He had a great finish two years ago before he was injured and despite being somewhat streaky, he was a big contributer to the team this season.

I'd still go with KO because I still see his ceiling higher but I think Comeau is becoming a good complimentary player on this team. I'd really like to see KO with JT and Moulson and Comeau with Nielsen and Grabs next season. Its not going to happen, but I think those would be ideal spots for both of them.

Macch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 06:34 PM
WangMustGo
NYI

vCash: 3178
I think they are relatively similar in terms or talent, but Okposo is much stronger, and he works harder. I see them both having similar potential, but I think Okposo is much more likely to reach that potential because of how hard he works, and he is also much more consistent. Comeau has to work on his consistency, and has to get stronger in the offseason, both of them could be 60 point players (Okie could probably even hit 70) but Okposo is much more likely to reach that potential.

WangMustGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 06:36 PM
StumpNYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macch View Post
What bothers me is Okposo's lack of scoring touch. Hes a great passer and I'd be fine if he nevers becomes a great scorer as long as he becomes a great set up man. Hes great in the corners, but why does it seem like hes always falling down on the ice. Its strange to me.

As far as Comeau goes this is his second straight strong season. He had a great finish two years ago before he was injured and despite being somewhat streaky, he was a big contributer to the team this season.

I'd still go with KO because I still see his ceiling higher but I think Comeau is becoming a good complimentary player on this team. I'd really like to see KO with JT and Moulson and Comeau with Nielsen and Grabs next season. Its not going to happen, but I think those would be ideal spots for both of them.
Ive noticed this too. My girlfriend always yells at him when he falls and it seems like shes been doing it a lot lately when she watches games with me but i dont remember that being a problem before. Its probably his conditioning not being up to par with the injury this year and he may be trying to hard. Who knows really?

But to answer the question I would pick Okposo 10 times out of 10. But I hope Comeau sticks around. I think he has the best shot on the team for our fowards. Moulson in a close second. I think Bailey has a good shot but he doesnt showcase it that much to really tell which is a shame.

StumpNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 07:19 PM
enigmatic
Capuano is a stooge

for some reason i always feel comeau gets the short end of the stick...yes, he does make stupid decisions from time to time but i dont see him "not trying"

he has great patience with the puck and can attract 2 defenders and make a pass to the open man quite well...

if okposo didnt have the pedigree he had coming into the nhl i dont think anyone would say okposo was better (i am not an okposo hater, but am admittedly a little down on him....even though he is my avatar)

enigmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 07:21 PM
Boik14

I like both players a ton as they both show a willingness to do what has to be done to help the team win. While I think Okposo is a better player right now I see Comeau as the better scorer long term. He has a good accurate shot, he will only get more comfortable taking it regularly, and he has more grit to him then given credit for. I never have understood the lack of respect he gets from some on this board. Maybe its cause he wasnt a ton ten selection like KO or some others but he is a damn fine hockey player. KO will probably always be a better skater and maybe even an "edgier" player but I dont think Comeau is any slouch there. Its close but i think I would take Blake at this stage

Boik14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 07:35 PM
On Edge

Different players and different roles but Comeau has closed the gap this year on his impact and importance to the team going forward. I really liked what I saw from Comeau and think his upside perhaps could have more of an impact that KO's. I love KO as a player but the old conventional wisdom chart to me has Comeau growing this past year and fair or not because of his injury, KO levelling off or even regressing a bit this year.

On Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 07:50 PM
ferrisUML

Something tells me that Okposo is a player that will always leave us wanting more. While hard working and strong in the corners, he has very little scoring touch or killer instinct like a JT. Without a marked improvement next year, I'd say he's capped as a solid second liner, but definitly no higher than that. There's nothing wrong with that...just some of us will have to temper our expectations a little.

On the flip side, Comeau has all the offensive skills, but is prone to long droughts (December/January) and doesn't have the work ethic it takes to break through said drought nor contribute when not scoring. Im really not sold on his role exactly. Still something of a wild card.

Together, they'd be the perfect player, but apart, they flawed in opposite ways.

ferrisUML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 07:59 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy7716 View Post
The thread of Comeau being a core player brought this on because Okposo was being talked about as well. So the question is, going foward who is going to be more valuable for us?

The way I see it is Okposo for sure seems to be harder working, better defensively more of a leader. I gave him a little bit of a pass this season due to his shoulder injury and never finding his groove. I am however a little nervous if he is going to find is offensive game. Comeau on the other hand had a break out year of sorts with 24 goals, he's got a great shot, especially when he drops into the slot and gets that one-time pass, he could have had alot more then 24, but he rang it off the iron alot on that shot he takes. He's a above average skater, makes strong hits, and even though some people claim he's lazy or doesn't backcheck he still gets a decent amount of PK time, so Capuano trusts him as a defensive foward. I think it's close, I think Blake Comeau may very well end up being the more offensive player and possibly more valuable in the end. I think next season we will get a better of understanding who it will be. One thing I have to disagree on is alot people say Comeau is a third-liner, I think he can be more then that, 24 goals is nothing to sneeze at. I guarantee if played on the top line he would have 30 plus goals.
One guy stays healthy and has a career yr:24 goals.

The other guy has major shoulder surgery,missing about 46 games.

Yeah,it's a good time to compare and judge each player's impact

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 08:08 PM
BelovedIsles

Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
KO will have a breakout season next year, breakout for him that is. He'll avg. 60-65 pts a year and can slot in on both scoring lines. Comeau and KO aren't comparable IMO. KO influences the dynamics of the game more positively, more consistently, and in more areas than BC; even when he's blundering 3 breakaways on one PK and leading the league in crossbars.

Regardless, happy BC has developed into a nice support player.

BelovedIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 10:03 PM
Jester9881

I can't think of a single thing that Comeau does better than Okposo other than play physical. The biggest difference, and the biggest reason Okposo will always be a better hockey player than Comeau.... his hockey IQ is about 10X greater.

Jester9881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 10:15 PM
malPHONEY

Comeau hadn't gotten 40+ points until he was 25 years old.

Yet people write off Okposo's offensive production when he's produced more at a significantly younger age?

There are many, MANY players who did not break out offensively until their mid-20s.

malPHONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 10:23 PM
NYI78

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
One guy stays healthy and has a career yr:24 goals.

The other guy has major shoulder surgery,missing about 46 games.

Yeah,it's a good time to compare and judge each player's impact
thank you a voice of reason...some of these comments make me want to throw up..whats next...you know i think Katic is better than Streit because i haven't seen Streit in a while..this is a stupid thread...Kyle will work his tail off during the offseason...a whole year with nielsen and grabner and you can pencil in 60 points

NYI78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 10:41 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

vCash: 400
a guy gets a major shoulder injury and is out for half the year and when he comes back he performs below expectations, understandibly, and yet still goes on pace for 40 points and creates the second line our most dangerous line but this is how far we degrade him

Kevin27nyi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 10:47 PM
redbull
respect, earned.

I've been a fan of Comeau since the WJC and I still believe he's going to be a very useful NHL player on a good team, hopefully the NYI. Comeau just needs more time. He's improving every year, he has no limits to his ability and has high upside, but lacks consistency, which is understandable at his age.

This year, he was 3rd on the NYI in TOI/G among all forwards, right there with Tavares, Moulson and Parenteau. He played PP, PK, all 3 fwd positions and doubleshifted when Gillies was in the lineup. Any team can use a player like Comeau. He's got size, skates well, can handle the puck at will, can stay healthy, can score - he does a heck of a lot more than most NHL players.

What he's NOT - a star. What he can be - a great complimentary player on a very good team. He needs to learn consistent effort, every shift, regardless of game situation. He needs to learn to simplify his game - all are achievable with time and effort (and coaching/mentoring).

Okposo, he comes with higher expectations in my book. Okposo does everything that Comeau does, better. He's better at every aspect of the game and he does give consistent effort each shift/game. This year, he really took a step backwards, I'm hoping it was just a result of the injury. I never liked Okposo-Nielsen together, I feel they lack chemistry, but Okposo can be much better than he was this past season.

I'd like to see Bailey - Okposo - Comeau next season. I think that trio would be a great line, effective in all situations. You add Nielsen-Grabner and Tavares-Moulson, sprinkle some Nugent-Hopkins (after lottery win) and Niederreiter and then you're on to something special.

redbull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 10:50 PM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
I've been a fan of Comeau since the WJC and I still believe he's going to be a very useful NHL player on a good team, hopefully the NYI. Comeau just needs more time. He's improving every year, he has no limits to his ability and has high upside, but lacks consistency, which is understandable at his age.

This year, he was 3rd on the NYI in TOI/G among all forwards, right there with Tavares, Moulson and Parenteau. He played PP, PK, all 3 fwd positions and doubleshifted when Gillies was in the lineup. Any team can use a player like Comeau. He's got size, skates well, can handle the puck at will, can stay healthy, can score - he does a heck of a lot more than most NHL players.

What he's NOT - a star. What he can be - a great complimentary player on a very good team. He needs to learn consistent effort, every shift, regardless of game situation. He needs to learn to simplify his game - all are achievable with time and effort (and coaching/mentoring).

Okposo, he comes with higher expectations in my book. Okposo does everything that Comeau does, better. He's better at every aspect of the game and he does give consistent effort each shift/game. This year, he really took a step backwards, I'm hoping it was just a result of the injury. I never liked Okposo-Nielsen together, I feel they lack chemistry, but Okposo can be much better than he was this past season.

I'd like to see Bailey - Okposo - Comeau next season. I think that trio would be a great line, effective in all situations. You add Nielsen-Grabner and Tavares-Moulson, sprinkle some Nugent-Hopkins (after lottery win) and Niederreiter and then you're on to something special.
I like that!!!

IslesFanatic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 01:42 AM
isles31
Poster Excellont

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goaljudge View Post
Ziggy, I am a supporter of Comeau and have been critical of Okposo. I think they are closer in value than most people think, but I still give the edge to Okposo..
Is he a leader and futre Captain material? I don't see any reason to believe that he is.
Sure he works hard almost all the time, but he does not do anything special that would change a game or game changing momentum. In just his second year John Tavares, quiet and understated, has done more with his play on the ice to convince me that he is a future Captain.
As for Comeau, I think he is somewhat incomplete, but he is as undervalued on these boards as Okposo is overvalued. Okposo is the more complete player but he may find himself lagging behind Comeau in goal production and definately hitting, Okposo's one big weakness.
Still, Okie 52%-48% in a close call.
A captain doesn't have to be the best/most talented player. Its about leadership, & from all accounts, Kyle is a great leader

isles31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 02:03 AM
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!

Next year will reveal what kind of player Kyle is going to be. Is he the next Patrick Flatley? Or is he the next Iginla-lite? The shoulder injury makes it really hard to get a good read on his still untapped potential. Kyle is a better skater than Flatley was, but there are there are a lot of similarities between them. I do hope Okposo shows more offensive ability, but it wouldn't be the end of the world if he becomes Flatley 2.0

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 09:31 AM
Melanson

Quote:
Originally Posted by StumpNYI View Post
Ive noticed this too. My girlfriend always yells at him when he falls and it seems like shes been doing it a lot lately when she watches games with me but i dont remember that being a problem before. Its probably his conditioning not being up to par with the injury this year and he may be trying to hard. Who knows really?

But to answer the question I would pick Okposo 10 times out of 10. But I hope Comeau sticks around. I think he has the best shot on the team for our fowards. Moulson in a close second. I think Bailey has a good shot but he doesnt showcase it that much to really tell which is a shame.
I'll chime in here because I watched Okposo's UM games on FSN when he was there. Kyle has always had this "falling" problem. He's very strong on the puck when someone is pressuring him, especially in the corners, but when he tries to make quick turns or cuts he loses his balance. He has good straight away speed but his lateral movement is lacking. I think some serious work on his skating in the offseason would not only do wonders for this issue but would also improve his scoring. The more confident you are on your skates the better you are with the puck.

Kyle has all the tools, if he would focus on becoming a better skater, he can jump to that next level IMO. I would like to see him take the body more but, other than a couple of hits recently, he hasn't shown a propensity to do that.

As for Comeau he is a big guy who can hit, has a wicked slap shot and good speed. The problem is that he plays on the perimeter which will work at the lower levels but not in the NHL. Hell, Grabner goes harder to the net than Comeau. Blake plays like he's Robbie Shremp...not Blake Comeau. He needs to get into the "dirty" areas and can become a 30 goal guy if he does that. He has the size to do it, the switch just needs to go off in his head about what type of player he should be.

Melanson is offline   Reply With Quote