HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Rank the West starting goaltenders from 1-8

Old
04-11-2011, 06:44 PM
Horvat2Virtanen
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckgenius View Post
Here's mine

Rinne (bar none the top goalie in the west)
Bryzgalov
Quick
Hiller (if he starts, if it's Ellis then theyre #8)
Crawford (yes that's right Crawford ahead of Bobby Lu, he's had an awesome season)
Luongo
Howard
Neimi
Ellis (if he starts)
Really Luongo 6 th His numbers are better than any of the wests goalies.

Horvat2Virtanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 06:45 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

vCash: 500
Niemi - Proven winner who's been great for SJ
Rinne - Big, athletic goaltender should be finalist for Vezina
Bryzgalov - Vezina finalist last season, the most important player to his team
Hiller - Was having a Vezina season before vertigo, if he's healthy he could be special
Luongo - Lack of playoff success knocks him down lower then he probably should be, especially after his best Reg.Season ever
Quick - Good young goalie trying to find playoff success
Crawford - Having a great rookie season, now we'll see what he's got when it really counts
Howard - Playing behind the likes of Stuart, Lidstrom, Rafalski, Kronwall only managed a 2.79 GAA and a .908 SV%.

EDIT: Forgot Quick.

Last edited by HockeySensible: 04-11-2011 at 07:26 PM.
HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 06:46 PM
JumpierPegasus
Mhm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
Wouldn't have anything to do with the team in front of him having one of their best years to date, would it?
Yes. That is one of the reasons he is having the best season to date

Bravo.

Just because the team infront of him is playing well, doesn't mean the goalie doesn't have to step up and play his A game. The team gelled as a whole and Lu was a big part of that.

JumpierPegasus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
trbr86

Quote:
Wouldn't have anything to do with the team in front of him having one of their best years to date, would it?
So, no, you haven't watched a game with Luongo in net this season?

He has been far more consistent night-in night-out than any previous season with the Canucks.

trbr86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
crazyforhockey

you realize since dec 1st luongo 29-8-5.......79ga. .938 sv

vs playoff teams.... 13-5-3. 37ga.........938sv

crazyforhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 06:50 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpierPegasus View Post

Just because the team infront of him is playing well, doesn't mean the goalie doesn't have to step up and play his A game. The team gelled as a whole and Lu was a big part of that.
That's great, now tell me he is as good as Rinne. Or had it as hard. You can't be serious that goalies like Bryz and Rinne, who have to literally carry their team the entire season, had to do the same amount of work as Luongo. Any goalie is going to have nice stats with a +77 gf/ga differential. I seriously doubt that Luongo had to hold on to 1 goal leads for dear life night and night out with the Canucks having scored the most goals in the league.

XX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 06:51 PM
struckmatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckgenius View Post
Here's mine

Rinne (bar none the top goalie in the west)
Bryzgalov
Quick
Hiller (if he starts, if it's Ellis then theyre #8)
Crawford (yes that's right Crawford ahead of Bobby Lu, he's had an awesome season)
Luongo
Howard
Neimi
Ellis (if he starts)
So much epic fail in one post its difficult to even fathom how you're remotely serious.

struckmatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 06:51 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Luongo
Rinne
Hiller
Bryzgalov
Quick
Niemi
Howard
Crawford

04-11-2011, 06:52 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
Niemi - Proven winner who's been great for SJ
Rinne - Big, athletic goaltender should be finalist for Vezina
Bryzgalov - Vezina finalist last season, the most important player to his team
Hiller - Was having a Vezina season before vertigo, if he's healthy he could be special
Luongo - Lack of playoff success knocks him down lower then he probably should be, especially after his best Reg.Season ever
Crawford - Having a great rookie season, now we'll see what he's got when it really counts
Howard - Playing behind the likes of Stuart, Lidstrom, Rafalski, Kronwall only managed a 2.79 GAA and a .908 SV%.
Uhh, what have Rinne, Bryzgalov, and Hiller done to warrant being ahead of Luongo?

Niemi won a Cup, yes, but he wasn't the reason why the Hawks won the cup

y2kcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 06:55 PM
JumpierPegasus
Mhm...

Quote:
That's great, now tell me he is as good as Rinne. Or had it as hard. You can't be serious that goalies like Bryz and Rinne, who have to literally carry their team the entire season, had to do the same amount of work as Luongo. Any goalie is going to have nice stats with a +77 gf/ga differential. I seriously doubt that Luongo had to hold on to 1 goal leads for dear life night and night out with the Canucks having scored the most goals in the league.
No, he didn't. Rinne had a great season, much better than Lu, because of what he worked with.

However, what Lu did, was keep momentum. When you let in a goal, where does all that momentum go? Down the drain that's where. You lose all the force you had, and the other team is now creating chances.

What Lu did was stand on his head when he needed to stand on his head. He worked hard when he needed to, night in and night out. Sure Rinne had it tougher, having to make more saves and work with less goals, but it is also about excecution, and Luongo pulled that off all season.

Don't bring Bryz, and Rinne in here though. I'm just talking about Luongo's stats alone. His best season in a Canuck uniform ever, was this season, that's all i meant to say in my post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauser View Post
Uhh, what have Rinne, Bryzgalov, and Hiller done to warrant being ahead of Luongo?

They worked hard on a team that had nothing in terms of offense or defense, and made it work by being stellar (well Rinne had one good defensive pairing)

Looking at the post, Niemi doesn't really warrent 1st though

Rinne
Luongo
Bryzgalov

Last edited by JumpierPegasus: 04-11-2011 at 07:01 PM.
Old
04-11-2011, 06:56 PM
thespokenword

Quote:

I guess by your reasoning, Brodeur & Roy were pretty average goalies in their day...

thespokenword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 06:57 PM
Tkachuk4MVP
22 Years of Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yotes Persevere View Post
Rinne
Bryz
Lu
Hiller
Niemi
Quick
Crawford
Howard

Mine as well.

Tkachuk4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 06:57 PM
Horvat2Virtanen
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
That's fair to a certain degree. But if you actually watched the Canucks play you would know Luongo is still a vital part of the teams success even in the "blowout" Games Luongo makes the key save when the game is still in reach.

Horvat2Virtanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 06:58 PM
AIRic

Rinne
Bryzgalov
Luongo
Hiller
Quick
Howard
Crawford
Niemi

AIRic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 07:00 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:

Don't bring Bryz, and Rinne in here though. I'm just talking about Luongo's stats alone. His best season in a Canuck uniform ever, was this season, that's all i meant to say in my post.
Are we not ranking the goalies here though? I never said Luongo wasn't great for the Canucks. He got them plenty of wins. But he just was nowhere near as important or as good as Bryz or Rinne were for their respective teams.

I'm not trying to pimp my own goalie here, but Bryz faced 400 more shots and played 400 more minutes while collecting 3 more shutouts than Luongo. Rinne has similarly retarded numbers. PHX also has the 2nd worst +/- out of any of the playoff teams at a near even +5 compared to +77 for Luongo.

Old
04-11-2011, 07:12 PM
Magnifique

Quote:
Luongo
Rinne
Hiller
Bryzgalov
Quick
Niemi
Howard
Crawford
Really, Lu over Rinne and Bryz? Those are some sweet homer glasses you have there.

Nevermind, someone already corrected you. I can live with a: Rinne, Lu, Bryz, top three.

Magnifique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 07:13 PM
JumpierPegasus
Mhm...

Quote:
Are we not ranking the goalies here though? I never said Luongo wasn't great for the Canucks. He got them plenty of wins. But he just was nowhere near as important or as good as Bryz or Rinne were for their respective teams.

I'm not trying to pimp my own goalie here, but Bryz faced 400 more shots and played 400 more minutes while collecting 3 more shutouts than Luongo. Rinne has similarly retarded numbers. PHX also has the 2nd worst +/- out of any of the playoff teams at a near even +5 compared to +77 for Luongo.
We are, but you said people would base Luongo from past seasons, and I was just saying that Lu had his best season this year.

I didn't particularily care what your order was after that. I thought it was cool that you voiced your opinion.

You say he played 400 more minutes... because Luongo played less games. I don't think minutes are a big factor, unless you are talking about fatigue.

You're right though, those goalies have played a major factor into their teams success. Rinne played great this year, and so did Bryz.

I'm not going to go any farther, so I don't warrent a major argument, but what I'm saying is, goalie's are vital to success, whether you are on the best team in the league, or a team that just sqweaked in the playoffs.

The best goalies, those in the hall of fame, like Roy, and Brodeur, have always put up solid numbers on great teams like Luongo's. Didn't water down their achievments any, neither should it water down Luongo's.

This said, goalie's who have played on not-so-great teams (I'll say sorry in advance for calling your team not-so-good ) shouldn't have their achievments ignored, because they play on a team that got ignored more.

What I'm saying is, some goalies work harder but does this really mean they are the better goalies? It's all too opinionated to be honest.

Old
04-11-2011, 07:15 PM
Devilsfan92
4 8 15 16 23 42

1. Rinne
2. Bryzgalov
3. Hiller

4. Niemi
5. Luongo
*Emery*

6. Quick
7. Crawford
8. Howard
*Ellis*

Devilsfan92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 07:16 PM
wholesickcrew

Quote:
So you won't look at past seasons when Luongo did carry his team, and you'll discard this season as meaningless because he didn't have to carry his team. I guess Luongo has no experience ever and should therefore be on the bottom of everyone's list.

wholesickcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 07:16 PM
tesplen

edit: nm

tesplen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 07:19 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:

Uhh, what has Luongo done to warrant being ahead of Rinne, Bryzgalov, and Hiller?

He had a great regular season, awesome, so have Rinne, Bryzgalov and Hiller, except they don't play behind the best team in the league, nor have they had famous playoff meltdowns.

Deal with it.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 07:19 PM
Magnifique

Quote:
They worked hard on a team that had nothing in terms of offense or defense, and made it work by being stellar (well Rinne had one good defensive pairing)

Looking at the post, Niemi doesn't really warrent 1st though

Rinne
Luongo
Bryzgalov
Really? I know the majority of Canuck fans hate the Coyotes for one reason or another. But at least come to terms with reality. The Coyotes for 14th in the league in scoring. How did they have nothing in terms of offense?

Magnifique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 07:23 PM
Shellz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfan92 View Post
1. Rinne
2. Bryzgalov
3. Hiller

4. Niemi
5. Luongo
*Emery*

6. Quick
7. Crawford
8. Howard
*Ellis*
Emery better than Quick and Crawford? After a whopping what 6 games? Now, that's funny.

Quick and Neimi are probably a lot closer. I think Luongo deserves to be higher, but that's just me.

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 07:24 PM
JumpierPegasus
Mhm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yotes Persevere View Post
Really? I know the majority of Canuck fans hate the Coyotes for one reason or another. But at least come to terms with reality. The Coyotes for 14th in the league in scoring. How did they have nothing in terms of offense?
Well, what I honestly meant is, the teams don't have what many people think are "stellar" teams. These goalies really worked hard to carry their teams and their achievments shouldn't be snuffed at.

The guy I quoted, thought that Rinne and Bryz did very little to deserve being said as better than Luongo, but what I am saying is they did just as well with less.

Sorry if it came across as Coyote hating, didn't mean for that.

Old
04-11-2011, 07:24 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
What I'm saying is, some goalies work harder but does this really mean they are the better goalies? It's all too opinionated to be honest.
That's fine and dandy, but if we are going to judge them on an individual basis, the influence of the team in front of them must be considered. The best measure of this (in my opinion) is playoff stats, and Luongo didn't do so well last year. If he puts up great numbers this year and stands on his head, Ill retract my opinion. Having said that, and having experienced the frustration that is the Pacific division goalies, I'd take any of them over Luongo If I had to dump Bryz. And yes, I've watched Luongo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholesickcrew View Post
So you won't look at past seasons when Luongo did carry his team, and you'll discard this season as meaningless because he didn't have to carry his team. I guess Luongo has no experience ever and should therefore be on the bottom of everyone's list.
Bottom? No. Top? Definitely not, and I'm not alone in this. Lets see if he can do as well in the postseason before anointing him.