HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Rank the West starting goaltenders from 1-8

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-11-2011, 07:24 PM
  #51
toquerasta
Registered User
 
toquerasta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 924
vCash: 500
Rinne
Bryzgalov
Luongo
Niemi
Quick
Crawford
Howard
Ellis

toquerasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 07:26 PM
  #52
kaczor47
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Wellington,NZ
Country: Poland
Posts: 377
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to kaczor47
Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
PHX also has the 2nd worst +/- out of any of the playoff teams at a near even +5 compared to +77 for Luongo.
PHX wouldn't have such a lousy +/- if they had a better goalie.
VAN wouldn't have such a high +/- if it wasn't for their goalie.

Circular logic, yes, you can't just break the cycle when convenient for your argument.

kaczor47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 07:27 PM
  #53
DingoAteMyBaby
Registered User
 
DingoAteMyBaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,368
vCash: 500
Luongo is first

I'm not homer

DingoAteMyBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 07:27 PM
  #54
Falcons93
Registered User
 
Falcons93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,088
vCash: 500
Crawford over Luongo? Crawford sucks, Luongo doesn't.

Falcons93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 07:28 PM
  #55
XX
... Waiting
 
XX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: 48th State
Country: United States
Posts: 27,238
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaczor47 View Post
PHX wouldn't have such a lousy +/- if they had a better goalie.
VAN wouldn't have such a high +/- if it wasn't for their goalie.

Circular logic, yes, you can't just break the cycle when convenient for your argument.
Yes, the Canucks handing their goalies nearly 1 more goal to work with per game has nothing to do with goalie performance Your first quip would work if the Coyotes leading goalscorer didn't have 20 goals

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 07:28 PM
  #56
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks
 
TheJuxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 26,326
vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfan92 View Post
1. Rinne
2. Bryzgalov
3. Hiller

4. Niemi
5. Luongo
*Emery*

6. Quick
7. Crawford
8. Howard
*Ellis*
Switch Nemo and Luongo, and switch Quick and Emery and you got it.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 07:31 PM
  #57
JumpierPegasus
Mhm...
 
JumpierPegasus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Abbotsford, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,753
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
That's fine and dandy, but if we are going to judge them on an individual basis, the influence of the team in front of them must be considered. The best measure of this (in my opinion) is playoff stats, and Luongo didn't do so well last year. If he puts up great numbers this year and stands on his head, Ill retract my opinion. Having said that, and having experienced the frustration that is the Pacific division goalies, I'd take any of them over Luongo If I had to dump Bryz. And yes, I've watched Luongo.
I guess that argument could be made.

I'd possibly take some goalies over Luo in the playoffs at this point, because of experiance, not talent in my opinion.

If I was making a team based sorely on talent, I'd take Luongo. If I had to make a team that was playing in game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals, I might take Niemi, because of experiance.

However I do believe that Luongo has an abundance of talent, but I, just like you, am waiting for him to transfer that to the playoffs.

Heck, even Bryz has more experiance in the playoffs then Lu.

JumpierPegasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 07:35 PM
  #58
kaczor47
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Wellington,NZ
Country: Poland
Posts: 377
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to kaczor47
Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
Yes, the Canucks handing their goalies nearly 1 more goal to work with per game has nothing to do with goalie performance
It has nothing to do with the Save %, which is one of the metrics.

As an aside, we should wait to see what Rinne does in the playoffs before anointing him.

Look, I am not hiding the fact that I am a Canuck fan. I am not saying Loungo belongs at the top of the list, but one must be consistent in applying the reasoning. To say that he hasn't proven anything in the playoffs while ranking Rinne #1 is hypocritical.

kaczor47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 07:37 PM
  #59
XX
... Waiting
 
XX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: 48th State
Country: United States
Posts: 27,238
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaczor47 View Post
To say that he hasn't proven anything in the playoffs while ranking Rinne #1 is hypocritical.
But at the same time, are you really going to argue that Luongo is better than Rinne at this point?

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 07:38 PM
  #60
Marky9er
Registered User
 
Marky9er's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Brampton ON
Country: Dominica
Posts: 5,363
vCash: 500
Rinne
Bryzgalov
Luongo
Hiller
Quick
Niemi
Crawford
Howard
Emery/Ellis

Marky9er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 07:38 PM
  #61
Magnifique
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Arizona
Country: United States
Posts: 6,578
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpierPegasus View Post
Well, what I honestly meant is, the teams don't have what many people think are "stellar" teams. These goalies really worked hard to carry their teams and their achievments shouldn't be snuffed at.

The guy I quoted, thought that Rinne and Bryz did very little to deserve being said as better than Luongo, but what I am saying is they did just as well with less.

Sorry if it came across as Coyote hating, didn't mean for that.
Actually you didn't. You'll have to forgive my automatic defense system. It has been worked on quite a bit the last two-years. You were respectful in what you said.

I honestly doubt any team in the league would be upset if someone offered them one of those three goalies. They are all great.

Magnifique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 07:42 PM
  #62
maroon 6
Live and let live
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: British Columbia
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,829
vCash: 179
The hate on Luongo is unbelievable. I love how people are saying "look at his team" to discredit Luongos season. I guess Brodeurs career isnt that good afterall, I mean didnt he have stacked teams in front of him? Doesnt he also have some memorable playoffs meltown moments?

Its funny how last years playoffs, the Canucks had a **** D but the blame goes on Luongo regardless. This year Canucks D is stacked and the credit is going to them for Luongo's season. Gotta love the logic you guys got.

maroon 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 07:43 PM
  #63
redwings85
In Ozzie I trust.
 
redwings85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: America's Hat.
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,958
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marky9er View Post
Rinne
Bryzgalov
Luongo
Hiller
Quick
Niemi
Crawford
Howard
Emery/Ellis
I think I'd rate Howard under Emery/Ellis

redwings85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 07:46 PM
  #64
Ubi Sunt
QQ Joe
 
Ubi Sunt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,576
vCash: 500
Luongo/Rinne
Hiller/Bryzgalov/Niemi
Quick/Crawford
(All very close, and I don't think that they'll be the reason their teams lose)

Howard is significantly worse than the others

Ubi Sunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 07:47 PM
  #65
BeastoftheEast85
Registered User
 
BeastoftheEast85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Vienna, Austria
Country: United States
Posts: 1,732
vCash: 500
Luongo
Bryzgalov
Rinne
Quick
Hiller
Niemi
After that it's meh

BeastoftheEast85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 07:48 PM
  #66
Magnifique
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Arizona
Country: United States
Posts: 6,578
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MONEYMO View Post
The hate on Luongo is unbelievable. I love how people are saying "look at his team" to discredit Luongos season. I guess Brodeurs career isnt that good afterall, I mean didnt he have stacked teams in front of him? Doesnt he also have some memorable playoffs meltown moments?

Its funny how last years playoffs, the Canucks had a **** D but the blame goes on Luongo regardless. This year Canucks D is stacked and the credit is going to them for Luongo's season. Gotta love the logic you guys got.

I went through this thread real quick to see if there was substance to your complaint. And it looks like the majority of people are rating Lu as second or third best goalie.

Where's all this hate you speak of? A few people rated him poorly and gave their reasoning.

Magnifique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 07:50 PM
  #67
Marky9er
Registered User
 
Marky9er's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Brampton ON
Country: Dominica
Posts: 5,363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastoftheEast85 View Post
Luongo
Bryzgalov
Rinne
Quick
Hiller
Niemi
After that it's meh
Jim-meh!!!

Marky9er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 07:54 PM
  #68
Shankill Butcher
Registered User
 
Shankill Butcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
Wouldn't have anything to do with the team in front of him having one of their best years to date, would it?
No? Since December he's put up the best numbers in the league with a ravaged defence in front of him all year. BUT hatersgonnahate.gif

Shankill Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 07:56 PM
  #69
Tkachuk4MVP
22 Years of Fail
 
Tkachuk4MVP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 9,188
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yotes Persevere View Post
I went through this thread real quick to see if there was substance to your complaint. And it looks like the majority of people are rating Lu as second or third best goalie.

Where's all this hate you speak of? A few people rated him poorly and gave their reasoning.


You just summed up every thread involving a Canucks player.

Tkachuk4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 07:56 PM
  #70
maroon 6
Live and let live
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: British Columbia
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,829
vCash: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yotes Persevere View Post
I went through this thread real quick to see if there was substance to your complaint. And it looks like the majority of people are rating Lu as second or third best goalie.

Where's all this hate you speak of? A few people rated him poorly and gave their reasoning.
What I was saying was meant for this board not just this thread. Each thread about Luongo will have these people discrediting Lu's season. If you want an example just go to the Luongo vs Lundqvis thread. My bad though, I should have been more specific.

maroon 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 08:01 PM
  #71
StarsCaptainOU
Registered User
 
StarsCaptainOU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,951
vCash: 500
Rinne
Bryzgalov
Luongo
Quick
Niemi
Crawford
Howard

Hiller would be in the 2-4 range. Emery or Ellis are in the bottom three.

StarsCaptainOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 08:02 PM
  #72
Todds Chiropractory
Registered User
 
Todds Chiropractory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Vancouver Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,151
vCash: 50
Just because you hate the fans. Doesn't mean the players are bad. I hate a lot of Canucks fans on here too, but Luongo is easily becoming one of the most underrated players in the game, and if you think otherwise you are letting your Canuck hate blind your judgement. I know many of you putting Luongo far down on your list don't watch a lot of Canucks games (although you will probably argue that you do because I can't "prove it"), because if you did watch a significant amount of games you would understand how many games the Canucks had no business still being in, and then the team hit a stride in the 3rd period to win the game. Luongo allowed this team to play absolutely terrible for half a game and still be tied or up a goal. It happened many many many times. Without Luongo Canucks don't win the presidents trophy, they don't win the west. Even if you don't watch him play, look at the numbers it should say enough. Luongo is the best Goalie in the west, and if it was'nt for Thomas, Luongo just had a Vezina winning season (I mean absolutely no disrespect to Rinne, just needs to proive a little more that he is'nt a product of his coach like Steve Mason was).

Todds Chiropractory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 08:03 PM
  #73
SirPaste
Registered User
 
SirPaste's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: STL
Posts: 6,737
vCash: 50
Rinne
Bryz
Luongo
Hiller
Quick
Niemi
Howard
Crawford

SirPaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 08:04 PM
  #74
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo
 
HockeySensible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,804
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckaholic19 View Post
but Luongo is easily becoming one of the most underrated players in the game
How does a player that's been seen as overrated (wasn't he voted so in a players poll... this season?), suddenly become one of the most underrated players?

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 08:05 PM
  #75
Phaneufed
Thrashers Fly 4ever
 
Phaneufed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Georgia
Posts: 4,187
vCash: 500
Hiller
Rinne
Bryzgalov
Luongo
Quick
Niemi
Crawford




Howard

Phaneufed is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:10 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.