HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

HF Top Prospects Updated (Rundblad #5)

Old
04-12-2011, 11:43 AM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

vCash: 500
Steven Stamkos could fall down the stairs and impale himself on a broom. Too much risk.

Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 11:46 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Waffler View Post
He could be the next Marc-Andre Bergeron for all you know. Do you want that?

Sure he's had a great season, but he's far from a lock to even be an NHL regular.
Well in defense of the other side, I just can't back this.

MAB just isn't really talented or anything. And I'd be surprised if Rundblad wasn't at the very least a top 4 Dman, but I do expect a little more than that. All the skills necessary are there.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 11:49 AM
Ghost in the Shell
#WeLikeOurKarlssons

Rundblad's last venture on to N.A ice was a disaster. I'm not expecting him to do well given how he plays, but if he can adjust his game I think he'll be a top-4 guy who specializes on the PP.

Ghost in the Shell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 11:52 AM
The Waffler
Can wipe my own ass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Well in defense of the other side, I just can't back this.

MAB just isn't really talented or anything. And I'd be surprised if Rundblad wasn't at the very least a top 4 Dman, but I do expect a little more than that. All the skills necessary are there.
Yes, the MAB comparison was extreme.

However, my point was there a lot of uncertainty and I stand by that.

I expect Rundblad to be in the NHL, even as a top 4. But I'm not saying he will be, just yet.

The Waffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 11:53 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Saw the Replay View Post
Rundblad's last venture on to N.A ice was a disaster. I'm not expecting him to do well given how he plays, but if he can adjust his game I think he'll be a top-4 guy who specializes on the PP.
That's why I'm saying he might be a laughing stock to opposing fans in his first month or so. I wouldn't be surprised to see an ugly adjustment, but given his talent it's nothing he shouldn't be able to adapt to.

His talent and build aren't just built for big ice, the way he plays is though....he should be able to adapt.

Old
04-12-2011, 12:17 PM
Pietraneglo222
WwWwW

Quote:
Tell me why.

I also think this crop of prospects is a little weaker than usual, which may be why I think I perceive it that way.
I think with OEL I see someone who is progressing pretty slowly. Didn't light up the allsvenskan after his draft year. Came to the NHL/AHL and he didn't embarrass himself but again progressing pretty slowly. OEL reminds me of Brian Lee lol. Produced some reasonable points in the AHL. The first time Lee was called up we all thought he was so polished and smooth. Then we realized he was kind of soft and didn't make anything happen on the PP. I think OEL has been kind of a flop in terms of draft rank so far.

While OEL produced the entirety of 2 PP points in the NHL, Rundblad put up a monster season in the SEL as we all know.

With Schenn and Johansen they've only managed to prove themselves at the CHL level. There's hundred point players in the CHL every year, some even in their draft year. Not always a sure thing for NHL even if they're hyped to all hell and given every opportunity to succeed.

Yeah, I pick Rundblad over any other prospect currently drafted and not yet proven at the NHL level.

Pietraneglo222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 12:21 PM
Curtinho
YNWA

I guess it's easier to not have expectations and thus you can't be let down. I won't be like that but you are welcome to be.

Personally I think Rundblad has come a long way from when he was a 'disaster' (overstated) on NA ice, and it probably was a big reason as to why he improved so much over such a short period of time. His skating is smooth, his defensive play is underrated, his vision is great, he's got great hands, good passing, and very good hockey sense. He's a smart guy he'll figure it out. I'm with Immanuel -- I wouldn't take another prospect outside of the NHL over him right now.

Curtinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 12:21 PM
SevenOfSpades
SkinnyOneOnTheRight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immanuel View Post
I think he's underrated at 5.

To me, I think he is number 1. Ahead of OEL, Johansen and Schenn.
My top 5 looks more like this:

1) Dylan
2) Dylan
3) Dylan
4) Dylan
5) Dylan

SevenOfSpades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 12:22 PM
Minister of Offence

I'm not sure I agree either way.

Schenn was 7 points in 7 games in the AHL this year. Johansen is 18 and has another year left of junior but probably won't use it. They haven't had a chance to prove themselves elsewhere really.

Old
04-12-2011, 12:24 PM
Skip Sheffield
YEP! YEP! YEP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fuhr View Post
But I thought HF was an embarrassment to prospect rankings... so take the rankings with a grain of salt.

Unless of course it's only an embarrassment when the Sens don't get high ranking players
Wait... did Murray get fired or am I on cocaine?

Skip Sheffield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 12:28 PM
Yelnats Puc
Brust 'em up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Faith View Post
Wait... did Murray get fired or am I on cocaine?
Somebody probably posted about Soundgarden on the Sens board.

Yelnats Puc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 12:29 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPhoenixM View Post
I guess it's easier to not have expectations and thus you can't be let down. I won't be like that but you are welcome to be.

Personally I think Rundblad has come a long way from when he was a 'disaster' (overstated) on NA ice, and it probably was a big reason as to why he improved so much over such a short period of time. His skating is smooth, his defensive play is underrated, his vision is great, he's got great hands, good passing, and very good hockey sense. He's a smart guy he'll figure it out. I'm with Immanuel -- I wouldn't take another prospect outside of the NHL over him right now.
It isn't exactly how I deal with every prospect....weren't you just talking about my love affair for Karlsson's potential?

Old
04-12-2011, 12:34 PM
Yelnats Puc
Brust 'em up!

CPM is making an ass of himself again, I see.

Yelnats Puc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 12:37 PM
Pietraneglo222
WwWwW

Quote:
I'm not sure I agree either way.

Schenn was 7 points in 7 games in the AHL this year. Johansen is 18 and has another year left of junior but probably won't use it. They haven't had a chance to prove themselves elsewhere really.
For sure they hadn't had a chance. No disrespect to these players at all. But my opinion is that the prospects are only as good the most difficult situation they have succeeded in.

IMO top line forward in the CHL is about a 5/10 in terms of difficulty while number 1 defenseman on a top two team in the SEL is 7/10. 10/10 being a top line player in the NHL.

Yeah, I like the idea that teams shouldn't over-develop players in minor leagues. Even if it turns out that some players sink. I like the way we handled Elliott, even considering the way it ended.

Old
04-12-2011, 12:46 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Tell me why.

I also think this crop of prospects is a little weaker than usual, which may be why I think I perceive it that way.
This is a little funny.

I'm sorry but you give absolutely no quantative or objective reasons for your opinions other than, it is what you think, yet ask other for theirs!!!

To suggest Rundblad is a little high or low is really meaningless, kind of like saying the water is fine. What does that really mean??

Do you understand the weighting system used to derive the ranking?? Do you know if Rundblad is a 100 point ahead of the number six guy, or is it .1????

Seems to me it just might be a hair splitting contest.

Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 12:49 PM
Pietraneglo222
WwWwW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post
This is a little funny.

I'm sorry but you give absolutely no quantative or objective reasons for your opinions other than, it is what you think, yet ask other for theirs!!!

To suggest Rundblad is a little high or low is really meaningless, kind of like saying the water is fine. What does that really mean??

Do you understand the weighting system used to derive the ranking?? Do you know if Rundblad is a 100 point ahead of the number six guy, or is it .1????

It's all about interpretations buddy. We can share them and it doesn't harm anyone.

Old
04-12-2011, 12:49 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
For sure they hadn't had a chance. No disrespect to these players at all. But my opinion is that the prospects are only as good the most difficult situation they have succeeded in.

IMO top line forward in the CHL is about a 5/10 in terms of difficulty while number 1 defenseman on a top two team in the SEL is 7/10. 10/10 being a top line player in the NHL.

Yeah, I like the idea that teams shouldn't over-develop players in minor leagues. Even if it turns out that some players sink. I like the way we handled Elliott, even considering the way it ended.
But that's the difficulty in scouting for the NHL, you need to be able to take into account some guys, depending on where they are from usually, play against men earlier. I mean, your not paid to be a scout, but if the reason you rank someone higher is just because he's played at a higher level, or against men earlier, than it's faulty.

The NHL must be one of the hardest few sports to scout a draft for. Different leagues, men/boys, different ice surfaces, different styles...

If your reason for holding Rundblad around 1 or 2 or whatever is because he's played at a higher level than Schenn or Johansen, well it just doesn't hold much water...even if it ends up holding true.

Old
04-12-2011, 12:51 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
This is a little funny.

What?

I was just asking him why, so we could discuss it. I don't usually give an opinion without some words to back up why. If someone wants to debate it with me, they usually have my rationale as well.

Old
04-12-2011, 12:51 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Hey Fuhr how about you move out of the house before making blanket statements about our integrity?

Old
04-12-2011, 12:57 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
It's all about interpretations buddy. We can share them and it doesn't harm anyone.
What exactly are you interpretting buddy???

Sure you can share whatever you wish on these forums, but it doesn't necessarily follow what you share makes any sense.

Old
04-12-2011, 12:58 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
What?

I was just asking him why, so we could discuss it. I don't usually give an opinion without some words to back up why. If someone wants to debate it with me, they usually have my rationale as well.
So what is your rationale for ranking DR lower?

Old
04-12-2011, 01:04 PM
Pietraneglo222
WwWwW

Quote:
But that's the difficulty in scouting for the NHL, you need to be able to take into account some guys, depending on where they are from usually, play against men earlier. I mean, your not paid to be a scout, but if the reason you rank someone higher is just because he's played at a higher level, or against men earlier, than it's faulty.

The NHL must be one of the hardest few sports to scout a draft for. Different leagues, men/boys, different ice surfaces, different styles...

If your reason for holding Rundblad around 1 or 2 or whatever is because he's played at a higher level than Schenn or Johansen, well it just doesn't hold much water...even if it ends up holding true.
I'm not trying to be like the prototypical NHL scout. I agree that's generally how they work.

I'm not ranking Rundblad high because he merely played in the SEL, but because he proved to have played well in the SEL. It is a problem to me that a player wasn't challenged beyond the CHL.

I made this clear in the prospects thread that I am worried that Rundblad can't move the puck fast enough. It turned out that Karlsson could do that just fine but this ability was never truly tested until he came into the NHL. Also I am perfectly fine if Rundblad flops next year, can't move the puck and is sent down to the AHL. At that point I'll concede that Schenn is a better prospect if he puts up 40+ points in the NHL. (assuming top-6 minutes and PP time)

Last edited by Pietraneglo222: 04-12-2011 at 01:09 PM.
Old
04-12-2011, 01:09 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
So what is your rationale for ranking DR lower?
-defensive question marks and so far not admitting to be worried about it, kinda laughing defense off, he's done this a couple times that I've seen
-skating isn't as good as you'd expect from a top 5 prospect, a little wreckless
-his shortcomings on small ice so far does create some uncertainty. I think his game right now is made to thrive on bigger ice, it's not to say he can't play on small ice, the tools are there, but if I was guessing at this point it will force him to take some parts out of his game and perhaps level his game off...I don't think he's an explosive enough skater to do it on small ice.

You asked me why I'd rank him lower, so naturally I had to focus on the negative, there's tons of positive as well. But #5 is really high praise, I would have went closer to 10.

Couldn't be happier with having another highly talented Dman though, I'm certainly not knocking him. But I think his point production is all HF really sees, and his season in production is certainly worth that top 5 ranking. He's got all kinds of potential to move passed guys I'd put ahead of him, but enough question marks that I wouldn't be certain enough to keep him as high as 5.

Old
04-12-2011, 01:17 PM
D0C

I love how people disregard the SEL so easily.

2nd defenceman ever to hit 50 point mark in league history is nothing to scoff at.

The SEL is considered the 2nd best league in the world. Forget about rink size and all that crap, the amount of talent over there is ridiculous.

I highly doubt Rundblad will have as much of a hard time ajusting to N-A style of hockey as some of you think. Granted he will have an adjustment period, but he's by far our most promising prospect. The kid oozes potential.

EDIT: This post has nothing to do with him deserving the #5 spot or not. It had more to do with how people perceive his transition to the N-A hockey market.

D0C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 01:17 PM
corksens

Odd.

One would think a player with defensive shortcomings and who isn't as good of a skater as described would actually do better on a smaller ice surface.

corksens is offline   Reply With Quote