HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011 Sens: Final Grades

Old
04-11-2011, 09:44 PM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

vCash: 277
Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
2011 Sens: Final Grades

Kind of surprised this hasn't been done yet, but these are my lazy grades.

Goalies:

Craig Anderson - A: Came in and gave a young team confidence when they needed it. Couldn't have asked for more from him, just hope he can do it again next year consistently.

Curtis McElhinney - B-: Not a huge fan of him, but he did just fine when he got a chance to play. Would prefer a better option at backup if possible.

Elliott and Leclaire: Eww.

Defense:

Chris Phillips - D: Have to hope he can turn it around because he was a disaster in his own end a lot of the time this year. Still, he'll be a nice veteran presence with what will likely be a young defense next year.

Brian Lee - B: Still not sure what he did to sit in the press box for 25 games, but was probably the most consistent defenseman on the team in his own end the last half of the year.

Filip Kuba - F: If he's back next year and plays like this again, I hope the team doesn't hesitate to dump him to the AHL.

David Hale - B: Steady when he was in the lineup. Who knows if he'll be back with the young guys coming through.

Matt Carkner - C+: Thought he took a step back from last year, but he'd be a real nice #7 next year.

Sergei Gonchar - D: Was not a fan of his game, and he looked lazy a lot of the time. Would love to get rid of that contract.

Erik Karlsson - B+: If he wasn't a -30, I'd give him a higher grade, but it's hard to overlook his defensive issues. Still, he does things offensively that a lot of players in the league cannot do. Had a poor start to the year.

Wiercioch and Smith were good in their limited time, but didn't play enough to give a grade too. I don't like Benoit in the NHL.

Forwards:

Milan Michalek - C: More injuries and inconsistency. PUT HIM ON RW NEXT YEAR!

Daniel Alfredsson - C+: The effort is obviously still there, but he was showing his age before the injuries.

Peter Regin - F: Soft as can be. He needs to be put on a lot of muscle this summer or else he won't last. The slightest breeze knocks him off the puck.

Zack Smith - C: Needs to produce more, but can't argue with his physical play and willingness to stand up for his teammates. Boneheaded penalties need to go away.

Bobby Butler - B-: Not very good defensively, but a good goal scorer. Pretty solid first year as a pro overall.

Mark Svatos - F: Go to Europe. Loved him as a rookie, but his body can't handle the beating anymore.

Jesse Winchester - D: If he didn't come back next year, I probably wouldn't even notice.

Jason Spezza - B: As awesome as he was the last half of the year, he needs to do it over a full season. This is two years in a row he's done this. We know he's capable of it.

Ryan Shannon - C+: As long as he's cheap, bring him back.

Colin Greening - B+: I don't think he'll ever be a top 6 guy, but a great bottom 6 forward who is very versatile.

Erik Condra - B+: Much like Greening, don't think he'll be a top 6 guy, but he played great and will be a valuable role player down the road.

Francis Lessard - **** off.

Nick Foligno - C: To me, he's trade bait. I don't think he'll ever be a top 6 guy, which is fine, but if another team thinks he can be and would overpay for him, than I think Murray should listen.

Chris Neil - C: Too often I didn't notice him this year. He's still a nice guy to keep around the young players.

Management:

Bryan Murray - C+: Still not sure how 3 good months gets you a 3 year extension, but hope he keeps it up, starting with finally picking the right coach.

Coach:

Cory Clouston - D: Might be a good head coach down the road, but not right now. If he goes back to the AHL for a few years, I could see another team giving him a shot.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 09:52 PM
Johnny Hanson

vCash: 500
agree for the most part but there are a few questionable grades. first off, hale and spezza both with a B? spezza played very well when healthy, hale is a fringe NHL'er. also, id grade neiler a bit higher personally. otherwise, id have mine about the same.

Johnny Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 09:53 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

http://www.ottawasun.com/sports/hock.../17956486.html

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 09:55 PM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

vCash: 277
Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Quote:
Originally Posted by hot karlsson View Post
agree for the most part but there are a few questionable grades. first off, hale and spezza both with a B? spezza played very well when healthy, hale is a fringe NHL'er. also, id grade neiler a bit higher personally. otherwise, id have mine about the same.
As far as expectations, yes. Hale played very well in his role. I thought Spezza sucked for the first half of the year. If he plays as well as he did down the stretch in the first half, we don't finish as the 5th worst team in the league.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 09:56 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Fair grades.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 09:56 PM
MatthewT

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot karlsson View Post
He graded them within their role (obviously), Hale was great as a call up/#7 D man

MatthewT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 09:58 PM
TheBandWagon

The only two changes I'd make would be to Winny and Neil (maybe a C+ for both)

Neil I think toward the end of the year showed a lot of jam. I think the injection of youth and the culture shock really stepped his game up. He took a lot of bone headed instigator-type penalties though. Too choosy in his fighting but he's getting up there

Winny I feel until the trade deadline was sadly one of our best players out there. Often he was the only player who looked like he actually gave a crap and worked his ass off trying to improve the team's fate. Also solid on faceoffs if im not mistaken.

Otherwise great 'lazy' writeup haha

TheBandWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 10:05 PM
Johnny Hanson

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
As far as expectations, yes. Hale played very well in his role. I thought Spezza sucked for the first half of the year. If he plays as well as he did down the stretch in the first half, we don't finish as the 5th worst team in the league.
agreed. im glad he, along with the rest of the team, did suck, though, because the shake up has helped him turn the corner i think. having a clearly defined leadership role is exactly what he needed to mature into an elite player and i really hope he carries this play into next season.

Johnny Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 10:26 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Let's Win It All

Spezza anything less than a A+ is a no no.

They guy literally WAS our team for the past 30 games. If he didn't come back this season we would have had first overall locked up.

Karlsson gets A from me too. Don't know how the hell you can give Alfredsson a C+ The guy gave it his all best in the beginning when no other Sens stepped out to help him and literally won games for the Sens. B for him.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 10:33 PM
Icelevel
Relentless

accurate. even got the little things in there, like z.smith's dumb penalties.

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 10:39 PM
Lexicon Devil

Pretty funny how close your ratings are to Garrioch and Brennan's - Condra and Greening are the notable exceptions (not sure how they could be given a C).

I only really differ on Svatos and Winchester, both of whom I think you are too harsh on. I don't want to see Svatos back or anything, but I don't understand the F for a waiver pickup who played 11 minutes a night.

Lexicon Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 11:44 PM
The Waffler
Can wipe my own ass!

I can't disagree with any of those ratings tbh.

The Waffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 12:02 AM
SensFactor

I agree with all of your grades. Very well done.

100% agree with Regin, tissue paper soft and I think we have grittier players in Condra and Greening that can play his role much better. Too bad we have to pay him north of a million next year.

Also agree with Winchester, I didn't even notice this guy all year, he's a fourth liner with some upside, but not enough to grant a spot on this team next year. I think one of Da Costa, Greening, Condra, et al will knock him off the starting lineup next year.

SensFactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 12:07 AM
OmniSens
@OmniSenators

vCash: 145
Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
agree with most grades

OmniSens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 12:21 AM
Dave Sparky Allison
2-22-1

I agree with your assesment of Lessard.

Dave Sparky Allison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 12:32 AM
jordan7hm

Disagree with Hale. He was good, but not that good. In terms of unrated, I like Benoit in the NHL.

Disagree with the Winchester rating. I think he plays his role well, is one of the best players on the team (still) in the corners, and is becoming a good faceoff guy.

Otherwise agree with most of it.

jordan7hm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 12:47 AM
Manny*

I think you were a bit rough on some guys. Namely Butler and Foligno. Butler scored at a 48 point pace in his first year as a pro. That's including a nine-game adjustment period where he was all over the lineup and given limited ice time. Foligno did everything that's expected of him. Giving the guy a bad grade because he isn't a top-six forward doesn't make sense to me. He does plenty of things well, and quietly landed third place on the team in points.

Just my two cents. I agree with most of the grades, though.

Manny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 01:12 AM
Rumcajs

Im expecting A/B Honor roll next year

Rumcajs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 01:25 AM
Pietraneglo222
WwWwW

"If he wasn't a -30, I'd give him a higher grade, but it's hard to overlook his defensive issues."

Karlsson gathered -28 in two months: January and February. If you're an offensive D and all the risks you take to produce offense are wasted, it's gonna backfire hard. The team didn't score and that's what happens, players gather -'s.

My point is, Karlsson is actually exceptionally good at defense.

Pietraneglo222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 03:19 AM
Bilbo Baggins

Very well done. The only thing I disagree on is that I think Colin Greening can be a top 6 guy, since he has the size to get into the dirty area in front of the crease and get those garbage goals. We don't have many guys that can/will do that.

I really agree with you on Foligno and Michalek. I know Foligno is still young, but man, he sure seems to do a lot of running around and fancy move attempts, with very little to show for it. He just doesn't seem to have good hockey sense. I also thought Michalek was very ineffective. I know he is coming off a bad injury, but he'd better do better next year if he wants to be resigned at his salary.

Bilbo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 06:36 AM
Sureves

Very good list. Though I thought Winchester and Neil should both be B's and Speeza a B+.

No comment on Clouston as, as fans, I don't think we are in much of a position to grade him.

Sureves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 06:53 AM
enviro61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immanuel View Post
"If he wasn't a -30, I'd give him a higher grade, but it's hard to overlook his defensive issues."

Karlsson gathered -28 in two months: January and February. If you're an offensive D and all the risks you take to produce offense are wasted, it's gonna backfire hard. The team didn't score and that's what happens, players gather -'s.

My point is, Karlsson is actually exceptionally good at defense.
All you have to do is watch the games to know that Karlsson is not exceptionally good at defence.

enviro61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 07:12 AM
Pietraneglo222
WwWwW

Quote:
Originally Posted by enviro61 View Post
All you have to do is watch the games to know that Karlsson is not exceptionally good at defence.
Terrible post, welcome to my ignore list.

Pietraneglo222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 07:37 AM
HappyDude
Fire Cameron

did anyone else read the garrioch article and notice he said regin had a KNEE injury when he in fact had a SHOULDER injury. Way to go bruce keep up the good work. And his assessment of Gonchar was way too brutal, what did you expect from a geezer. If he had played the last 15 games when the sens couldnt stop winning then he would have put up more ###.

HappyDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 07:58 AM
Marty Straka
Don't Stop Believin'

Disagree with the F on Svatos... playing the minutes he got... and adjusting to a new team and coming back from injury.. he finally started to look good and was chipping in until he got the concussion.. If the price was right.. and there was room.. I wouldnt mind him back.