HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Senators Top 20 prospects re-ranked

Closed Thread

Old
07-09-2004, 04:40 PM
Hossa

vCash: 500
Senators Top 20 prospects re-ranked

Hey guys,

I did a new top 20 with the new wave of prospects included. Now, admitedly there was no conscensus this time as I'm the only writer in the section, but I did seek some advice from some fellow writers as well as one esteemed board member who shall remain nameless for his own protection.

Anyways, click here.

Over the next month I'll get all the profiles up, whether they be done by me or more specialized contributors. The infamous Joe Cooper has a great profile up now thanks to DJ Powers.

Cheers.

Old
07-09-2004, 04:47 PM
sensfan

great job the senators definetly have a strong core of prospects for the future... for the most part i agree with the top 20... personally i'd rank eaves be4 meszaroes and bochenski a bit higher but thats just me... i think it's interesting that before the draft you ranked kaigadorov higher then mirnov but now he's ranked after mirnov... perhaps this unnamed source you speak caused you to change your mind ... overall good job

Old
07-09-2004, 04:55 PM
Hossa

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensfan
great job the senators definetly have a strong core of prospects for the future... for the most part i agree with the top 20... personally i'd rank eaves be4 meszaroes and bochenski a bit higher but thats just me... i think it's interesting that before the draft you ranked kaigadorov higher then mirnov but now he's ranked after mirnov... perhaps this unnamed source you speak caused you to change your mind ... overall good job
Well, with Mirnov and Kaigorodov, I don't know what to say about them. Honestly, the only thing that tipped the scale on this ranking in favour of Mirnov is that Kaigorodov has still not committed to come over to play in the AHL. I personally think another season in the RSL would almost be a waste of his time. He's had three reasonably productive seasons there, but he can't get more than third line ice-time and his most recent season was probably his weakest. I still like Kaigorodov, but whereas Mirnov should stay in Russia another year, I think Kaigorodov needs to come over and because he hasn't, I dropped him down one.

Thanks for the comments. Much appreciated.

Old
07-09-2004, 06:22 PM
lgavic

I to would have rated Bochenski higher, but thats because I get to see more WCHA games than Hockey East. I also would have had GP higher not only for his leadership but the guy has a knack for scoring a goal when it is needed. His down side is injuries.

Hey, what you have to work with, great job!

Old
07-10-2004, 06:42 AM
The Lehner
;)

Good job Hossa...I would have had Gimayev and Weller perhaps slightly higher but it's all subjective and of course based on limited viewing from my point of view.

I'm glad to see you dropped Vauclair from the top 20 - I see him as a journeyman AHLer at best.

Great work!

Old
07-10-2004, 08:06 AM
operasen

So Vauclair does not make the Top 20? though he was getting a look at the big club this year as a No. 8. Nice work Hossa. Appreciate the time and effort.

Old
07-10-2004, 09:05 AM
whitesox_2000_22*

No Stephens in the top 20???????????

Old
07-10-2004, 09:40 AM
Hossa

Vauclair was dropped for a number of reasons. First of all, we have a lot of solid but unspectacular defensive prospects. Second, he's quite close to being too old to be a prospect. Third, he may or may not spend next year back in Europe. One way or another, he won't be a prospect by the start of next season. That's not to say I dont' think he could play in NHL, but I just don't think he's really a prospect anymore.

As for Stephens, no I don't think he's a top 20 prospect. He's got talent, but he's incredibly inconsistent, forced the Avalanche to basically dump him last year. I do think Stephens has NHL talent, no doubt. But I really don't think the Senators have him in their long-term plans, personally. At times he was amazing in the AHL, other times he was absolutely brutal. bvut even when he was on, he still wouldn't get a call-up. That says to me that either the team just doesn't like him, or they don't see him as a checker at all in the NHL. He'll either be a scorer or a checker is perhaps what they are thinking, and the guy is far too much of a head-case to be an NHL scorer, IMO.

That's my explanation I guess.

Old
07-10-2004, 02:39 PM
Kickabrat
WHAT - ME WORRY?

This is the best source of data on Sens prospects anywhere. I'm surprised the Sens website doen't give anywhere near the amount of coverage and profiles that are included here. All I can say is thank-you and great job Hossa (you should really contact the Sens about providing at least a link to this web site).

My question is on Kelly Guard. I would have droped him lower and probably out of the top 20 until I see more. After watching the Memorial Cup I came away thinking his stats were more a reflection of the amazing defensive team he had in front of him. He made a few good saves, but he didn't look outstanding to me.

Is Guard really that good that he should be rated above Elliot and Glass? I haven't seen enough of these goalies make that determination myself.

Old
07-12-2004, 09:36 AM
tankaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossa
Vauclair was dropped for a number of reasons. First of all, we have a lot of solid but unspectacular defensive prospects. Second, he's quite close to being too old to be a prospect. Third, he may or may not spend next year back in Europe. One way or another, he won't be a prospect by the start of next season. That's not to say I dont' think he could play in NHL, but I just don't think he's really a prospect anymore.

As for Stephens, no I don't think he's a top 20 prospect. He's got talent, but he's incredibly inconsistent, forced the Avalanche to basically dump him last year. I do think Stephens has NHL talent, no doubt. But I really don't think the Senators have him in their long-term plans, personally. At times he was amazing in the AHL, other times he was absolutely brutal. bvut even when he was on, he still wouldn't get a call-up. That says to me that either the team just doesn't like him, or they don't see him as a checker at all in the NHL. He'll either be a scorer or a checker is perhaps what they are thinking, and the guy is far too much of a head-case to be an NHL scorer, IMO.

That's my explanation I guess.

Old
07-12-2004, 10:00 AM
rebedom

Quote:
Hey guys,

I did a new top 20 with the new wave of prospects included. Now, admitedly there was no conscensus this time as I'm the only writer in the section, but I did seek some advice from some fellow writers as well as one esteemed board member who shall remain nameless for his own protection.

Anyways, click here.

Over the next month I'll get all the profiles up, whether they be done by me or more specialized contributors. The infamous Joe Cooper has a great profile up now thanks to DJ Powers.

Cheers.
Do you know if there will be anything written up about the development camp and whether anyone stood out? I never made it down there and very little if anything has been written in the papers about it. Would be nice to hear something about it.

Old
07-12-2004, 10:12 AM
Hossa

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebedom
Do you know if there will be anything written up about the development camp and whether anyone stood out? I never made it down there and very little if anything has been written in the papers about it. Would be nice to hear something about it.
I was unable to attend at all because of work. So unfortunately, the answer is no.

As for the question about Guard, it's hard to tell whether or not he's anything special. He reminds me a lot of Garth Snow in the net at least physically. I don't see Guard ever being a starter. Thompson I could see as a starter in the right situation, but not Guard. He does lack athleticism, quickness and everything, but he is quite solid technically. It's hard to say, but you have to credit him for a fair bit of his team's success. His rebound control is fantastic. One of the reasons he probably seems to do so little is that he doesn't have to make a second, third or fourth save. He makes the first stop, smothers the rebound or if he doesn't, his defence clears it for him. With Guard, it was a case of him working extremely well with his defencemen more than him getting no tough shots.

Old
07-12-2004, 11:32 AM
operasen

You certainly know your stuff Hossa, and sens in particular. Nice read too by the way.

Love to read you thoughts on each of the big teams players. Is there an archive where some of them are "previewed" as prospects? Anyway, not trying to make more work for you - appreciate the hours that went into this.

Old
07-12-2004, 02:44 PM
gbl1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebedom
I was down at KRC on Thursday last week, where they ran about 60 minutes worth of different drills. Not much to say other than I was impressed with how sturdy Meszaros looks on his skates and how large of a frame he has for such a young guy. Patrick Eaves has a nice spark to his skating and his handling, but I'm afraid of size problems down the road. Small bodies don't usually hold up to the rigor of playing cash and bang against bigger bodies night in, night out.

Old
07-13-2004, 07:03 AM
Dr.Sens(e)

Great stuff Sean. Nice to have the Sens section as probably one of the best in all of HF - you deserve a lot of credit.

I would say I disagree with having Stephens so low though. Any time you have a player with that size, speed and skill package combined with the fact they have already shown significant production at the AHL level (some would argue scoring line type of production), you simply have to recognize him as a significant prospect. You seem to drop him more because of how we acquired him. I'd actually have him around #10, ahead of such unknown enitities such as Weller. When you compare the two, I ask two questions; First - Does Weller have better upside than Stephens? While he's such an unknown given his competition to date, I guess we don't know, but his skill set certainly doesn't sound dominant, so I'd have to say no. Second, what's the likelihood of him reaching that upside? For high school players, that is a big question mark. We don't know how he's going to handle college competition, let alone AHL or NHL competition down the road. It's quite possible he could be released in two years have two ho-hum season's at Clarkson. But that's just a matter of opinion and a pretty long standing debate on these boards.

I would also say Vauclair is still a prospect. His decision to return to Europe is disappointing, but he may be back in a year or two. I would say his decision drops him back a bit though.

The only other thing is, I don't see a major drop-off after Eaves. He has as many question marks about his game as Mirnov, Kaigorodov and Bochenski do in my opinion, and I think all four forwards are pretty similar in terms of upside and rating. Eaves get's the benefit of the doubt because of his pedigree and exposure at the WJC. I'd suggest there is more of a drop-off after Meszaros at this point in time.

But hey, what the hell do I know. It was a fun read and I look forward to reading more of your stuff down the road.

Old
07-13-2004, 08:09 AM
Alfie#11

Great read as usual.

I find Guard a bit high. I'm not saying the guy is garbage and I do hope he is a great find for the Sens - I just don't see it.

I think the Sens have quite a few guys that can make an impact. I would say that Eaves, Emery, Bochenski, Kaigorodov, Mirnov, Meszaros and Lyamin are all potential top players. After them the drop off occurs. There's still a lot of interesting players after them as well.

The Sens have quietly rebuilt the prospect pool. I don't know where we would fit in a league wide ranking (don't really care actually) but we are deep. Pretty good considering the young NHL talent, poor drafting position, and trades (Gleason, Klepis and Laich).

Certainly no worries for the Sens in terms of kids.

Old
07-13-2004, 10:34 AM
Hossa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sens(e)
Great stuff Sean. Nice to have the Sens section as probably one of the best in all of HF - you deserve a lot of credit.

I would say I disagree with having Stephens so low though. Any time you have a player with that size, speed and skill package combined with the fact they have already shown significant production at the AHL level (some would argue scoring line type of production), you simply have to recognize him as a significant prospect. You seem to drop him more because of how we acquired him. I'd actually have him around #10, ahead of such unknown enitities such as Weller. When you compare the two, I ask two questions; First - Does Weller have better upside than Stephens? While he's such an unknown given his competition to date, I guess we don't know, but his skill set certainly doesn't sound dominant, so I'd have to say no. Second, what's the likelihood of him reaching that upside? For high school players, that is a big question mark. We don't know how he's going to handle college competition, let alone AHL or NHL competition down the road. It's quite possible he could be released in two years have two ho-hum season's at Clarkson. But that's just a matter of opinion and a pretty long standing debate on these boards.

I would also say Vauclair is still a prospect. His decision to return to Europe is disappointing, but he may be back in a year or two. I would say his decision drops him back a bit though.

The only other thing is, I don't see a major drop-off after Eaves. He has as many question marks about his game as Mirnov, Kaigorodov and Bochenski do in my opinion, and I think all four forwards are pretty similar in terms of upside and rating. Eaves get's the benefit of the doubt because of his pedigree and exposure at the WJC. I'd suggest there is more of a drop-off after Meszaros at this point in time.

But hey, what the hell do I know. It was a fun read and I look forward to reading more of your stuff down the road.
I think with respect to Stephens, it's not about upside, or about what he brings when he's on but simply what kind of a prospect Stephens really is. I mean, he has potential. He's always had potential. But he's also been a dissapointement at just about every turn. I think Stephens' pure upside is probably as good as any of our prospects aside from the top 7. But this is also his third organization, with the previous two having given up on him not because he lacks talent but because he lacks the intangibles necessary to succeed. In doing these rankings, if Stephens has a strong camp, then by all means, I'll rank him much higher. But as of right now, I don't think Ottawa has him in their long-term plans.

As for Weller, I guess it goes back to where I think these players stand in the organization. It seems the Senators are quite high on Weller. After all, they dealt Bonk for him, despite having two selections coming up fast. Maybe it's flawed logic, but they gave up Dennis Bonvie for Charlie Stephens. That at least means something. Of course Weller is a risk. He could be a bust, or he could be a good player. He has a lot to prove next year, as does any drafted freshman in college. It's hard to rank guys right after being drafted too, but we'll see.

As for Vauclair, he'll be 25 at the start of next season, assuming they start on time anyways. At 25, he's not longer an eligible prospect here at HF, not to mention the fact he's played three complete seasons in the AHL and has signed a deal to go back to Europe.

Finally, the Eaves/Meszaros situation is quite interesting. Some people say Eaves is a better prospect, some say Meszaros, you argue Meszaros is significantly ahead. What would tell the story on this is the player ratings (1-10) done on the team page. Now, these will have to be updated sometime soon although the staff, myself included, are reviewing our rating system. I completely agree Meszaros is our second best prospect. As you know Nick, and as HF's buddy scouting service ISS suggests, this was a top 10 calibre prospect. Why he dropped, nobody knows. What I do like about Meszaros compared to Eaves is that he's got a projectable frame and he has avoided injuries. I ran into Meszaros on Canada Day, and I can say he's got one of those wide frames that you like to see. In terms of height and weight he's similar to Karel Rachunek actually.

Anyways, all that's to say, I appreciate the comments Nick.

Old
07-13-2004, 10:43 AM
Hossa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfie#11
Great read as usual.

I find Guard a bit high. I'm not saying the guy is garbage and I do hope he is a great find for the Sens - I just don't see it.

I think the Sens have quite a few guys that can make an impact. I would say that Eaves, Emery, Bochenski, Kaigorodov, Mirnov, Meszaros and Lyamin are all potential top players. After them the drop off occurs. There's still a lot of interesting players after them as well.

The Sens have quietly rebuilt the prospect pool. I don't know where we would fit in a league wide ranking (don't really care actually) but we are deep. Pretty good considering the young NHL talent, poor drafting position, and trades (Gleason, Klepis and Laich).

Certainly no worries for the Sens in terms of kids.
Thanks Alfie.

I think Guard's 04-05 season will be very interesting to see. Very, very interesting. As of now, where he plays is up in the air. He's the fifth goalie on the depth chart, with Emery and Thompson slated to handle Bingo netminding duties. Now, I expect that between Hasek and Prusek's groin problems, Emery will end in Ottawa a fair bit, which is actually a good thing for his development. But the question is whether Guard plays in the ECHL or gets loaned to another AHL team. I would bet the organization wants Guard to at least be tested in the AHL.

What will be interesting to see is that if he plays in Binghamton, he probably wont' have a great defence in front of him. The team's best defenceman and maybe even best player last year, Vauclair, is either in the NHL somewhere or in Europe. Petr Smrek is also gone. Kids like Schubert, Platil, Komadoski and Hedlund will get more ice time, and while some of them are good prospects, none are great AHL defencemen yet. Guard's coming from a refined defensive system and he could either prove he's not just a product of a great defensive system, or he could fail miserably because he lacks the athleticism to make multiple saves. I don't think he'd rise much on future rankings because I don't think he is athletic enough to be a starting goalie in the NHL, it's that simple. But I do think he could drop a fair bit.

Agreed on the deep system though. The Sens are in great shape because or their high quality scouting. It's fun for me too because rankings like these mean something when you have prospects like Charlie Stephens not in the top 20.

Old
07-13-2004, 10:57 AM
Dr.Sens(e)

Well, I think that's part of the problem. You're comparing Dennis Bonvie to Radek Bonk, and saying that Weller naturally has to be a better prospect, because after all, Bonk HAS to be worth more than Bonvie, right? Well, I would suggest there were about 3.5 million reasons why some teams felt Bonk was actually worth LESS than Bonvie, as Bonvie is a major fan favorite at the AHL level - which has definite value to a team looking to boost the fan support of their minor league affiliate. Muckler admitted they were very close to having to release Bonk outright given his contract and got what ever they could for him - which was a third round pick. The bottom line is there are probably numerous NHL teams that would rather pick-up Bonvie to play in the AHL, rather than pay Bonk $3.5 million to play in the NHL.

And I think people have to get over the fact that Stephens is a former #1 overall OHL pick. He may have disappointed at certain levels, but he has a 38 goal season and several point a game campaigns at the OHL level to his credit, a 50 point season in Hershey and almost a point a game in Bingo on his AHL resume, and 2 points in 8 games in the NHL. Is that such a huge disappointment for a 23 year old player?

Consider this - If five years from now Weller has graduated from college early and puts up a few AHL seasons like Stephens has, not to mention a few points in NHL appearances, won't he move UP the prospect chart, rather than be considered a disappointment? I know it's not that simple, but I really think it helps put 'expectations' into perspective, which is something Stephens has been fighting against his whole career.

And agreed on Meszaros all the way.

Old
07-13-2004, 11:16 AM
Hossa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sens(e)
Well, I think that's part of the problem. You're comparing Dennis Bonvie to Radek Bonk, and saying that Weller naturally has to be a better prospect, because after all, Bonk HAS to be worth more than Bonvie, right? Well, I would suggest there were about 3.5 million reasons why some teams felt Bonk was actually worth LESS than Bonvie, as Bonvie is a major fan favorite at the AHL level - which has definite value to a team looking to boost the fan support of their minor league affiliate. Muckler admitted they were very close to having to release Bonk outright given his contract and got what ever they could for him - which was a third round pick. The bottom line is there are probably numerous NHL teams that would rather pick-up Bonvie to play in the AHL, rather than pay Bonk $3.5 million to play in the NHL.

And I think people have to get over the fact that Stephens is a former #1 overall OHL pick. He may have disappointed at certain levels, but he has a 38 goal season and several point a game campaigns at the OHL level to his credit, a 50 point season in Hershey and almost a point a game in Bingo on his AHL resume, and 2 points in 8 games in the NHL. Is that such a huge disappointment for a 23 year old player?

Consider this - If five years from now Weller has graduated from college early and puts up a few AHL seasons like Stephens has, not to mention a few points in NHL appearances, won't he move UP the prospect chart, rather than be considered a disappointment? I know it's not that simple, but I really think it helps put 'expectations' into perspective, which is something Stephens has been fighting against his whole career.

And agreed on Meszaros all the way.
On Stephens, while he had a good productive tenure with Binghamton, it was the tale of two players. He started off incredibly hot, scoring at a feverish pace, and then he basically fell off the face of the earth. That's pretty serious inconsistency, which for all the talk of expectations for Stephens, personally all I want to see from him is some consistency. Forget about proving you should have been a #1 pick. Obviously that is something that has to be at least noted when talking Stephens as a prospect, but I can't say I'm expecting him to match what Spezza has done.

The reality is that Stephens is not going to be a top 2 line player in Ottawa unless something happens. It's possible of course, nobody expected Todd White to score 60 points in the NHL. But Stephens is not a prospect expected to be a scorer in Ottawa. He'll have to become a third or fourth line player. He's big, but he doesn't look that big on the ice. Now, his skating is impressive, but he's not consistently physical at all. So my question to you Nick, is would you want a player as inconsistent and often as selfish as Stephens, on one of your checking lines in the NHL?

I can't say I like his intangibles and his work ethic enough to want to see him there, and I don't think he has much of a chance to be much else. Admitedly I was quite excited about Stephens when he was acquired and then tore it up. But then he had a major slump to finish the second half of his season. I guess it was just quite dissapointing for me.

I think it's hard to compare Weller to Stephens. I think you're discriminating against Weller a fair bit though. Blake Wheeler hasn't played college hockey yet, and won't next year. Same questions about him that you pose about Weller. But with guys like this, moreso than most prospects, you have to project where they are going and take it with a few grains of salt.

Old
07-13-2004, 12:10 PM
Dr.Sens(e)

Quote:
On Stephens, while he had a good productive tenure with Binghamton, it was the tale of two players. He started off incredibly hot, scoring at a feverish pace, and then he basically fell off the face of the earth. That's pretty serious inconsistency, which for all the talk of expectations for Stephens, personally all I want to see from him is some consistency. Forget about proving you should have been a #1 pick. Obviously that is something that has to be at least noted when talking Stephens as a prospect, but I can't say I'm expecting him to match what Spezza has done.

The reality is that Stephens is not going to be a top 2 line player in Ottawa unless something happens. It's possible of course, nobody expected Todd White to score 60 points in the NHL. But Stephens is not a prospect expected to be a scorer in Ottawa. He'll have to become a third or fourth line player. He's big, but he doesn't look that big on the ice. Now, his skating is impressive, but he's not consistently physical at all. So my question to you Nick, is would you want a player as inconsistent and often as selfish as Stephens, on one of your checking lines in the NHL?

I can't say I like his intangibles and his work ethic enough to want to see him there, and I don't think he has much of a chance to be much else. Admitedly I was quite excited about Stephens when he was acquired and then tore it up. But then he had a major slump to finish the second half of his season. I guess it was just quite dissapointing for me.

I think it's hard to compare Weller to Stephens. I think you're discriminating against Weller a fair bit though. Blake Wheeler hasn't played college hockey yet, and won't next year. Same questions about him that you pose about Weller. But with guys like this, moreso than most prospects, you have to project where they are going and take it with a few grains of salt.
Fair points, but given Peter Schaefer and Todd White have both been parts of what is arguably Ottawa's top line last year, I don't see it as black and white in terms of whether a player is a scoring line forward or not. All lines have to have balance, and given Stephens has never really been the beneficiary of incredible linemates along the way, we might be surpised by his scoring potential once he gets on a line with players more talented than he is. For instance, could he play Arvedson's role on a two-way line? Arvedson isn't seen as a scoring line player by a lot of people, but he played on one of Ottawa's top lines for several years. It all comes down to the role a player can play.

And I'm not trying to discriminate against Weller, but rather just be realistic about 17 years with only high school hockey on their resume. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush as they say, and that is definitely true when it comes to prospects. The most recently drafted players always seem to be a tad over-rated IMO, mostly because all we do is 'project', rather than get to see some of their growing pains at the higher levels of hockey.

And while Stephens did fade down the stretch, let's face it - basically all of Bingo's player did the same. The difference with Stephens is he and Hamel had been carrying the team up to that point. I just think a guy that big, that fast, that skilled, who dominates at times in the AHL - which is no small accomplishment - and who is only 23 years old, deserves to be in Ottawa's top 20 above players who have proven much less, and are to a certain extent, suspects more than anything else.

But Stephens has had his issues, and with that comes risks, and I also know there are others who see Stephens the same way you do.

Old
07-13-2004, 12:40 PM
Blueshirt13

Quote:
Great job with the write up Hossa. Any chance I can bribe you to do the Rangers rankings?

I was just curious if I could get a few comments from you on Giroux. He had a great run with Binghamton and put up some nice numbers but was pretty quiet once in Hartford. The transition and lack of chemistry I am sure was an issue. I heard also he had a great camp with the Sens last year. Any comments on how you see his development? Or what type of player he can be in the NHL? The Rangers are lacking talent on LW in our organization so was just curious as to your feel for Giroux.

Thanks.

Old
07-13-2004, 01:02 PM
Hossa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt13
Great job with the write up Hossa. Any chance I can bribe you to do the Rangers rankings?

I was just curious if I could get a few comments from you on Giroux. He had a great run with Binghamton and put up some nice numbers but was pretty quiet once in Hartford. The transition and lack of chemistry I am sure was an issue. I heard also he had a great camp with the Sens last year. Any comments on how you see his development? Or what type of player he can be in the NHL? The Rangers are lacking talent on LW in our organization so was just curious as to your feel for Giroux.

Thanks.
Thanks.

On Giroux, he's an interesting player that is not that different from Stephens actually.

What is most remarkable about Giroux is that he used to be a complete string bean. He was drafted as a 6'3", 165 pound forward from the Hull Olympiques. As you probably know, his next two seasons were quite productive, but he was still way too short. The question with him was whether he could bulk up and play a bit of a power game.

Giroux is now around 195 pounds, and he's bulked up a fair bit. I like his skating, he's got pretty good hands and at times he can play physically. When the Binghamton Sens were playing at the Corel Centre this year, he was absolutely dominant. He was all over the ice and had a hat-trick in the game I believe. He's a goal scorer first and foremost, and his playmaking game is pretty limited. But he's incredibly inconsistent. Binghamton fans will tell you there are times he's a complete liability, and others he's a fantastic player.

Giroux did have a great camp in Ottawa though. What was great about his performance was that he was playing physically and even fighting. Unfortunately he really didn't play this way in the AHL, and that is probably why the Senators dealt him. They didn't feel he had the pure scoring ability to be a big point producer, and he isn't consistently physical enough to play on a third or fourth line. Chris Kelly's strong play also made Giroux expendable.

Personally, I think Giroux is the type of player who could make it in the NHL on a weaker team. The same kind of goes for Stephens probably. While Giroux obviously lacks consistency and some question his desire, I like the fact that he's come a long ways since being drafted. The biggest knock on him was his size, and he's bulked up tremendously. But he's not the answer to your LW problems. Ottawa has LW problems and if they felt Giroux could solve any real problems in the near future, I doubt he'd have been dealt. I don't see Giroux as more than a third liner, but I could defenitely see him playing on a checking line next year in New York if he commits himself to playing the way he did in training camp last fall.

Old
07-13-2004, 01:14 PM
Blueshirt13

Thanks again for the info Hossa.

Old
07-14-2004, 12:24 PM
trentmccleary

I've only seen Giroux a couple of games, but the big one I remember was a Hull Rookie game. He was almost completely invisible all night. Might have touched the puck for a total of 10 seconds all game.
And he finished with 4 goals and a couple good chances that night. Seems to have good hockey sense. I think he might be able to play on a scoring line as a 2nd tier goal scoring cherry-picker (ie: Perreault, Audette).

Stephens... I was excited about his acquistion too and I probably haven't been very realistic about his future either. I'd hope that he'd become the 3rd line PF I think we need. But after watching Ottawa pick up the likes of Mike Prokopec and Kevin Brown over the years, reality starts to set in.
Whether it's Stephens, Langfeld or someone acquired in trade... GET ME MY 3RD LINE PF MUCKLER!!!!

Closed Thread