HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs-Bruins Series Discussion

View Poll Results: Series Prediction
Habs in 4 8 3.45%
Habs in 5 8 3.45%
Habs in 6 109 46.98%
Habs in 7 34 14.66%
Bruins in 4 8 3.45%
Bruins in 5 33 14.22%
Bruins in 6 28 12.07%
Bruins in 7 4 1.72%
Voters: 232. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-13-2011, 12:14 PM
neofury*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by skule123 View Post
You guys are being hard on Basu - I'd say he is a pretty credible reporter writing for NHL.com this year and with CTV. Maybe he's a fan at heart, but it's my experience from reading his stuff that he'll be realistic or criticize the Canadiens and players as is appropriate.

One of my preferred Habs writers, actually!
On HFBoards if any reporter sees the habs in a positive light they're apparently a fraud

Seriously, I bet the same people would've probably said the same thing against Washington last year. Yee have little faith.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 12:40 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
On HFBoards if any reporter sees the habs in a positive light they're apparently a fraud
You guys are professionals at distorting the words of others and wildly exaggerating. Don't even know what to say.

E = CH² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 12:41 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

If it's not Habs in 6, I fear it will be Bruins in 7.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 12:42 PM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
It's not the prediction itself, it's the way the article is written. It's hard to put into words.

I don't know if anyone has said that.

Some people might have suggested that the bruins are favorites. I don't think that's much of a stretch.

But I'm pretty sure most people acknowledge this series could go either way. Even really good teams sometimes lose to average teams. And the bruins aren't even that good.

Ah ok. A pretty good season with nothing wrong in the sky where we finish 6th in the east, 14th overall in the NHL not have one 30 goal scorer, not one guy above 60 pts, where our 7M dollar man scored 7 goals and under 40 pts. I guess that's a great season with only positive things to talk about.

The straw that broke the camel's back for me was his "Gainey talks with Gomez and Gomez becomes awesome, all will be forgiven" article.

Certainly there were negative things to talk about this season. To ignore them completely in favor of the more positive things is fine, but that doesn't make him someone who should be held in higher esteem necessarily, or someone who deserves threads dedicated to his predictions. That's all I'm saying.
http://montreal.ctv.ca/servlet/an/lo...b=MontrealHome

Plenty of 'negative' articles along with the 'positive'.

And I put those words in quotation marks because really, he's mostly a moderate. When the Habs are playing well he tempers expectations and when they're playing poorly he reminds us that they're not as bad as they seem. Hard to have an overall negative narrative for the season when the Habs never lost more than 3 games in a row and continued to exceed expectations despite crippling injuries on the back end, holding onto a playoff spot since when? Late October? And never in any real danger of missing out on them despite what some chicken littles were espousing in late March.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 12:53 PM
Patccmoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksp1957 View Post
Stay out of Roxbury and Dorchester. Wait a sec, you're a Flyers fan. Never mind that. You can probably handle yourself in either neighborhood.
I've lived in Dorchester since I'm here and it's fine. I mean, I wouldn't tell my wife to go walk alone at 2 am in a backstreet, but I have never had or witnessed anything serious in 3 years. I know it happens, but it's mostly at a time and place where people who are not looking for trouble won't be.

Patccmoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 12:55 PM
Patccmoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Pats, Sox, BRUINS, Celtics all choked last year!!
Not sure you can say Celtics choke... I mean, they lost in the 4th quarter of a game 7 of the championship finals, and it was a close game. I'd call that losing, not choking. Sox were injured.

Pats and Bruins choked. Ofc Bruins had an historical choke!

Sox are like practicing choking right off the bat right now though. They're like, screw waiting until the end of the year, we'll choke right away! Gotta love their supporting the Bruins.

Patccmoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 01:07 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patccmoi View Post
I've lived in Dorchester since I'm here and it's fine. I mean, I wouldn't tell my wife to go walk alone at 2 am in a backstreet, but I have never had or witnessed anything serious in 3 years. I know it happens, but it's mostly at a time and place where people who are not looking for trouble won't be.
Examples: Guy starting **** gets stabbed at bar, assault takes place in some apartment complex, etc.

Old
04-13-2011, 01:16 PM
JackieChan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
Then I'll ask how the Patriots did in the playoffs (I'm a Jets' fan).
Make sure you bring your passport with you at the Garden, other canadian IDs wont cut it if you want beer.

JackieChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 01:25 PM
Prairie Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
They are doing great in Washington!!
And add the Habs will be doing the same in a couple weeks.

Prairie Habs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 01:25 PM
Unclewhalebone

First time poster here,
I took the Habs in six though I would not be surprised by just about any result in this series.
I think the key for the Habs will be having everyone step up in their particular role on the team. Especially those players who we know have more to give compared to their regular seasom performances.
Cam, Kost and Gionta will need to be scoring
Plex and Gomez will need to be inspired and strong in both ends
Moen and Pyatt will need to play mistake free
Subban will need to be on fire and in control
Hammer and Gill ... steady as she goes
Price will need to stop everything he ought to and a few more
etc.
Playing a strong team game is the only way forward for the Habs.
I believe.
Go Habs Go

Last edited by Unclewhalebone: 04-13-2011 at 01:26 PM. Reason: typo
Unclewhalebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 01:33 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
You guys are professionals at distorting the words of others and wildly exaggerating. Don't even know what to say.
Oh I'm sorry, when a reporter see's the habs in a positive light, he isn't a reporter then. I guess fraud was a huge distortion of the truth right there

1. Wrongful or criminal deception intended to result in financial or personal gain.
2. A person or thing intended to deceive others, typically by unjustifiably claiming or being credited with accomplishments or qualities.

So you're telling me calling a guy who is a journalist "not a journalist", essentially saying he's deceiving CTV and making money working for them as a journalist, is in someway not calling him a fraud? Yeah I really am making stuff up

He's being credited with the accomplishment of being a journalist, and people are saying he isn't one, thus calling him a fraud. I don't think I can make it anymore clear then that. By the way I have no issues with you as a poster and wasn't even referring to you, just a comment by a specific poster in this thread. It was "He's a fan, not a reporter." in post #99 (Nitanny)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclewhalebone View Post
First time poster here,
I took the Habs in six though I would not be surprised by just about any result in this series.
I think the key for the Habs will be having everyone step up in their particular role on the team. Especially those players who we know have more to give compared to their regular seasom performances.
Cam, Kost and Gionta will need to be scoring
Plex and Gomez will need to be inspired and strong in both ends
Moen and Pyatt will need to play mistake free
Subban will need to be on fire and in control
Hammer and Gill ... steady as she goes
Price will need to stop everything he ought to and a few more
etc.
Playing a strong team game is the only way forward for the Habs.
I believe.
Go Habs Go
Welcome to the forums. I agree, it isn't going to be easy, I just wouldn't count us out

Old
04-13-2011, 01:46 PM
KingKovy

i am.. 8 th row center ice.. I am going to be with one habs fan and 4 bostonians.. i am equipped for war

KingKovy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 02:01 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
Be safe. My cousin and brother both went to Boston a few years ago and got threatened and has crap thrown at them while they were cheering. Hopefully it won't be so hostile for you.

Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 02:13 PM
Balcony Rat

Coming in peace to bring you some (hopefully) valuable advice.

- Bruins fans DO have a reputation for being confrontational but if you root for your Habs without taunting or insulting the Bruins you will be fine. Whether you're worried about it or not, just remember you're in enemy territory and there are thousands of people against you!

- Do not under any circumstance bring a bag to the arena. They will not let you in with it and they will not hold it for you.

- Half Time Pizza (located across the street from TD Garden) has become some what of a Hab fan meet up. They have pizza and beer.. nuff ced.

- Bring your passport if you plan on drinking. Some bars are not covered to accept non-US licenses.. all will take passports.

- Ignore the bandwagon. You will have people yelling at you who have absolutely ZERO knowledge about what is going on. Real Bruins fans will give it to ya a bit (usually in good fun!) but you absolutely will hear "GO BACK TO CANADA!" from some suburban teenage loser who has never left the state of Massachusetts. Best to ignore them and just laugh it off!

- Lastly, don't bring up other sports as others suggested. Us real Bruins fans have a hard enough time stopping "Yankees Suck!" chants at Bruins/Lightning games.. it's hockey, the ice hasn't melted.. screw the rest of em. All the Celtics do is ruin our ice.

Boston is an incredible town and I've been lucky to have been born and raised here. Hope you have a great time (aside from the result of the game )

Balcony Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 02:15 PM
euphrates

have fun and bring us back a souvienir

a win

euphrates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 02:17 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balcony Rat View Post
Coming in peace to bring you some (hopefully) valuable advice.

- Bruins fans DO have a reputation for being confrontational but if you root for your Habs without taunting or insulting the Bruins you will be fine. Whether you're worried about it or not, just remember you're in enemy territory and there are thousands of people against you!

- Do not under any circumstance bring a bag to the arena. They will not let you in with it and they will not hold it for you.

- Half Time Pizza (located across the street from TD Garden) has become some what of a Hab fan meet up. They have pizza and beer.. nuff ced.

- Bring your passport if you plan on drinking. Some bars are not covered to accept non-US licenses.. all will take passports.

- Ignore the bandwagon. You will have people yelling at you who have absolutely ZERO knowledge about what is going on. Real Bruins fans will give it to ya a bit (usually in good fun!) but you absolutely will hear "GO BACK TO CANADA!" from some suburban teenage loser who has never left the state of Massachusetts. Best to ignore them and just laugh it off!

- Lastly, don't bring up other sports as others suggested. Us real Bruins fans have a hard enough time stopping "Yankees Suck!" chants at Bruins/Lightning games.. it's hockey, the ice hasn't melted.. screw the rest of em. All the Celtics do is ruin our ice.

Boston is an incredible town and I've been lucky to have been born and raised here. Hope you have a great time (aside from the result of the game )
Its a TRAP!

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 02:51 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
I've been to Philly. I expect Boston to be a walk in the park. I'll tell my friend to wear his Red Sox cap

Le Tricolore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 02:54 PM
PlayersCoach

Habs in 6, possibly 5.

PlayersCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 02:57 PM
Balcony Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
Its a TRAP!
Wish it was true. You guys dominate that place!

One thing I forgot. Do not go to Sullivan's Tap or The Penalty Box

Old
04-13-2011, 03:09 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

I'm flying into Boston on Saturday morning, and going to Saturday's game as well. Look for a short guy wearing a Gionta jersey with a bald head and a goatee.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 03:15 PM
Ketzlaf

I am fairly confident that you will get stabbed. Good luck nonetheless.

Ketzlaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 03:17 PM
almostjesus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
I'm flying into Boston on Saturday morning, and going to Saturday's game as well. Look for a short guy wearing a Gionta jersey with a bald head and a goatee.
r u gionta?

almostjesus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 03:24 PM
shadowman

My biggest wish is for the habs to eliminate boston in 4 or 6. Give those *******s a lesson. I would also love for them to get the the goodbye chant from the montreal crowd.

shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 03:30 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketzlaf View Post
Meh, I pity the Bruins fan that pulls a knife on me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostjesus View Post
r u gionta?
Crap, my cover is blown. Yes, I am Brian Gionta.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 03:35 PM
Balcony Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketzlaf View Post
You're thinking of Newark, NJ.

Last edited by Balcony Rat: 04-13-2011 at 03:41 PM.