Notices

Crawford fired, Gulutzan named head coach

Old
06-17-2011, 02:21 PM
Bennrocks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
Why the hell do they have a video of him signing a contract?

Bennrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 02:30 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
go

vCash: 27750
They didn't think we'd believe them?

Someone get that poor guy a new golf shirt with the big boy logo.

piqued is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 02:35 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

vCash: 558
Good interview. Noticed he didn't say Grossman in his list of 'core' players. So possible trade bait I guess... Not sure. ANYWAYS I'm not sure how anybody can't be excited about Gully, two-way possession hockey. Awesome.

Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 04:57 PM
Bennrocks

Gulutzan on BaD radio today

Old
06-17-2011, 05:03 PM
MB94
@MBFarina94

http://mbonbigd.blogspot.com/2011/06...n-for-job.html

Here's a reliable source

Let me know your thoughts on the article, comment, click the +1 near the comment bar and follow please!

Thanks

Last edited by MB94: 06-20-2011 at 08:22 PM.
MB94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 06:15 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennrocks View Post
I'm going to throw out an angle here: maybe one of the factors that contributed to him being hired was the thinking that he'll be able to get the most out of Glennie? Both are Manitoba natives and both played for the Wheat Kings... One of Glennie's red flags in the past has been questions about his motivation level... The Stars haven't developed a successful top 10 pick since Matvichuk... is this them doubling down to try to change that?

Alternate theory: Gulutzan just repeated the phrase "Hard to play against" until Nieuwendyk relented.

Old
06-17-2011, 06:21 PM
Bennrocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
Alternate theory: Gulutzan just repeated the phrase "Hard to play against" until Nieuwendyk relented.
Alternate theory sounds right that or what Cin said a structured 2 way puck possesion style

Old
06-17-2011, 06:42 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
Hope this guy knows what he's doing.

He sounds like Ott on the radio lol.

MetalGodAOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 07:47 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnholyPrince View Post
He sounds like Ott on the radio lol.
ahh fer sure

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 10:05 AM
piqued
Global Moderator
go

I keep seeing the issue of affordability brought up in regards to Gulutzan's hire. My question is, how does anyone have any idea what the hell they're talking about? Financial terms of HC contracts are never disclosed. So it's all assumption and guesswork. Is it reasonable to say that Gulutzan will be paid less than Hitchcock would've been, for example? Sure. But on what grounds could someone claim that Gulutzan is a cheaper option than Muller?

Old
06-18-2011, 12:11 PM
BigG44

vCash: 475
I think the 2 year contract with a 3rd year as team option is a strong indication the Gulutzen camp wasn't working from a position of power. That would then seem reasonable to me to assume he is on the very low end of the pay scale.

Most NHL coaches seem to sign for 3 or more years. I'd like to see the term of the new coaches this summer. I honestly didn't pay attention.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 01:04 PM
Captain Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
I keep seeing the issue of affordability brought up in regards to Gulutzan's hire. My question is, how does anyone have any idea what the hell they're talking about? Financial terms of HC contracts are never disclosed. So it's all assumption and guesswork. Is it reasonable to say that Gulutzan will be paid less than Hitchcock would've been, for example? Sure. But on what grounds could someone claim that Gulutzan is a cheaper option than Muller?
A month ago I would have disagreed with you on this, the media made it seem like Muller was hugely in demand, but since there are only a few spots left open he clearly isn't as highly valued as the media made him out to be.

Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 03:34 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
I think the 2 year contract with a 3rd year as team option is a strong indication the Gulutzen camp wasn't working from a position of power. That would then seem reasonable to me to assume he is on the very low end of the pay scale.

Most NHL coaches seem to sign for 3 or more years. I'd like to see the term of the new coaches this summer. I honestly didn't pay attention.
When you're only interviewed by one team, I think it's safe to say that you're not working from a position of power. However, what better opportunity for success was Gulutzan ever going to have though? If he were to get a head coaching position outside the Stars organization next year or the year after he would not have the hands on experience coaching some of the very players he would be coaching at the NHL level, as he does here.

Not that he's going to be making the same money in Dallas that he was in the AHL but even if he were, do you think he'd turn down the opportunity to coach in the best league in the world?

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 05:27 PM
BigG44

I'm not arguing that the Gulutzen hiring was wrong or based only on cost. Piqued didn't seem to see to think there was enough info available to speculate on his contract, and I was just giving some examples as to why I feel its fair to characterize this as the least expensive head coach option available.

I still think he was a solid choice regardless of money, but I don't feel you can totally disregard someone who light feel the Dallas Stars were looking to save cash.

Old
06-18-2011, 05:56 PM
ATL Star

I'm pretty torn when it comes to hiring AHL coaches, or minor league coaches in general.

With the case in Washington, the Boudreau hire turned out to be a great decisions, sans the playoffs chokes. Before him, they were a southeastern doormat.

Recently in Atlanta, the only time we ever had success was when we had Bob Hartley. AHL/minor league coaches like Curt Frasier and John Anderson were overwhelmed.

Judging by the talent on the Stars roster, there might be room depending on style.

Can someone comment on the style of play Gulutzan tries to play along with how it might work with our current players?

ATL Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 06:32 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

vCash: 558
The players and the league are going through a big change right now. Older coaches like Crawford and Hitch can't resort to what got them through before. It's a new time where you can't focus on just offense or just defense. It's a two way game that has to be controlled with puck possession. All of these guys coming up form the minors bring different take son the game. No longer are there set ways in how to operate a team. Many new fresh approaches to situations are what's needed and these guys bring it.

I think with Gully we'll see Benn or Louie emerge as our Kesler. You WILL see offense back checking and helping the D out as much as possible.

Our more offensive minded D will play a lot like Scott Niedermayer where they'll get deep into the zone and really make cycling work to our advantage while overloading the front of the net. This is possible when you play strong on the boards and force the other team to take care of you in front of the net. Thus improving our defenseman's point columns!

Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 06:38 PM
Ampersand
Dallas Stars Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL Star View Post
I'm pretty torn when it comes to hiring AHL coaches, or minor league coaches in general.

With the case in Washington, the Boudreau hire turned out to be a great decisions, sans the playoffs chokes. Before him, they were a southeastern doormat.

Recently in Atlanta, the only time we ever had success was when we had Bob Hartley. AHL/minor league coaches like Curt Frasier and John Anderson were overwhelmed.

Judging by the talent on the Stars roster, there might be room depending on style.

Can someone comment on the style of play Gulutzan tries to play along with how it might work with our current players?
From what Ive read, he will have a strong focus on a two-way/defensive minded playset. I think this could elevate Eriksson's defensive game even higher and possibly see his name on a Selke finalist list within 1-2 years. Outside of that it's already been stated that he has a knack for dealing with young talent and helping it excel.

Ampersand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 02:11 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
go

Muller loses out on the Winnipeg job as well. So I guess his options now are either stay with the Habs in the same capacity or try to land an AHL HC job to build his credentials.

Old
06-23-2011, 02:15 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
He could take Gulu's spot in the baby Stars!

MetalGodAOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 07:35 AM
piqued
Global Moderator
go

Muller will coach the Milwuakee Admirals, so that situation won't happen unfortunately.

Old
06-28-2011, 11:42 AM
BigG44

Official release:

Quote:
Dallas Stars Name Paul Jerrard Assistant Coach

Tuesday, 06.28.2011 / 12:28 PM / News Dallas Stars

Frisco, Tex. – Dallas Stars General Manager Joe Nieuwendyk announced today that the club has named Paul Jerrard as an assistant coach. He has been affiliated with the Stars for the past six seasons as an assistant coach with the team’s primary development affiliate.

“We are very excited to name Paul Jerrard to our coaching staff,” said Nieuwendyk. “He has great history with our organization, as well as with Glen Gulutzan while they were both coaching at our AHL franchise in Cedar Park. Paul’s professionalism and work ethic will rub off on this organization and our players. He will help the Dallas Stars take the next step in getting back to the playoffs.”

Jerrard, 53, spent the previous two seasons as an assistant coach working with Gulutzan and the Texas Stars of the American Hockey League. He helped the club reach the AHL Playoffs in both campaigns, including the Stars’ run to the Calder Cup Finals in the franchise’s inaugural season of 2009-10. Jerrard assisted Texas in posting a cumulative 87-56-17 record (.587 points percentage) during the regular season and a 16-14 (.533 winning percentage) record during the playoffs with Texas.

The Winnipeg, Manitoba, native boasts a decade of coaching experience, including two years as an assistant coach with Pennsylvania's Hershey Bears of the AHL prior to joining the Dallas Stars organization as an assistant with the Iowa Stars (AHL) for three seasons (2005-2008). In 2002-03, Jerrard was responsible for video as the Colorado Avalanche's assistant coach. He also coached for four years at his alma mater, Lake Superior State University. Prior to joining Lake Superior State, Jerrard spent one year as Assistant Coach with Lowell in 1998-99.

Jerrard spent 10 years as a defenseman in professional hockey, having been drafted by the New York Rangers in the ninth round (173rd overall) of the 1983 Entry Draft. He was traded to the Minnesota North Stars in October of 1988 and skated in five games for Minnesota that season. Jerrard played parts of six seasons with Kalamazoo (IHL) and was a member of the 1997 Calder Cup winning Hershey Bears. Jerrard is certified in strength and conditioning (CSCS) and is a member of the National Strength Coaches Association (NSCA).

Paul and his wife Cheryl have two children, Meaghan and Catherine.
http://stars.nhl.com/club/news.htm?i...id=DL|DAL|home

Old
06-28-2011, 12:16 PM
Karitimes
JetsJetsJets

So He was 25 when he was drafted by the Rangers?

Something ain't adding up here.

Karitimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 12:39 PM
Al Core

vCash: 150
He's 46. They fixed it in the article.

Al Core is offline   Reply With Quote