vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure View Post
Crawford did have perfect attendance.
"No no, Marc, no need to come into the office. Your ribbon's in the mail."
Quote:
Originally Posted by ________ View Post
andystrickland Andy Strickland
Just got off the phone with a Dallas player who tells me the players were shocked..said "I guess 95 points isn't good enough anymore" #Stars
I'd love to know who said that. Whoever it was is part of the problem. That's Turco-style loser talk.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 10:14 PM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Just got off the phone with a Dallas player who tells me the players were shocked..said "I guess 95 points isn't good enough anymore" #Stars
Not if it doesn't get you in the playoffs anymore.

DaStars99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 10:17 PM
caley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogi1Kenobi View Post
Peter DeBoer's name is being thrown around a lot in this thread. His
My List (not necessarily in order)

Peter DeBoer
Willie Desjardins
Glen Gulutzan (He reminds me of Dave Tippet. Very defensive, structured system)
Bob Hartley (Him and Kari have history. He's the only coach to bring ATL to the playoffs)
Ken Hitchcock (lol)
Bob Hartley said he would not coach in the NHL next year. He signed a deal to coach in Switzerland and doesn't want to go back on it, just for a chance to return to the NHL, especially since he already has a Stanley Cup.

caley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 10:48 PM
hashmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet of Glennie View Post
DeBoer is a hard working coach, installs a work ethic, your team is always in it. He was an amazing coach in Kitchener and Plymouth.
Jr's is not the NHL. There are loads of coaches to have great success in jr. and not have it translate into the NHL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogi1Kenobi View Post
Ken Hitchcock (lol)
Yeah, what a kooky thought to have someone of his caliber behind the Stars' bench. He has won everything there is to win as a coach (and was just selected to coach the Canadian World Champ. team), had NOTHING to work with in Columbus and made them competitive, and brought them to their first ever playoff appearance last year.

The biggest mistake Hitchcock made as a coach was accepting a job with the jackets in the first place. The franchise is a total joke and to thank him for getting them to the playoffs, they COMPLETELY used him as their scapegoat. They didn't make any changes other than their coaching staff last off season which further solidified their sales job of their under preforming youth was his fault.

Ffwd to this season where their overvalued youth were/are no better, the team was far healthier to a man this year, and yet they finished 16 points out of the playoffs. Finally the GM admitted that they just weren't good enough.

The Stars need to have success next year before they fall in the same pool of NHL irrelevancy that the Jackets, Panthers, Thrashers, and NYI fall into. They can't afford to take risks on an unproven guy this upcoming season.

I am not sure why Joe chose Crawford in the first place, but it was a mistake, now he needs to hire a pretty much sure thing like Hitchcock. Give that coach an average team and he, not only will make the goalie look like a Vezina candidate, but will get every ounce out of every player.

hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 11:04 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
"No no, Marc, no need to come into the office. Your ribbon's in the mail."

I'd love to know who said that. Whoever it was is part of the problem. That's Turco-style loser talk.
I bet you its someone like Morrow or Benn. Maybe even Burish. Our "bad" players wouldn't say something like that. I expect players to defend Crow even if we hated him.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 11:06 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by hashmarks View Post
Jr's is not the NHL. There are loads of coaches to have great success in jr. and not have it translate into the NHL.
Not really. Only the best junior coaches go to the NHL, and usually they sucede.

Old
04-12-2011, 11:14 PM
hashmarks

Quote:
Not really. Only the best junior coaches go to the NHL, and usually they sucede.
Examples please? There are far more coaches that have come from Jr.'s to suck at the NHL level, than have had success. One coach who has had success at every level, jr, IHL/AHL/NHL/International is Hitchcock.

Off the top of my head: Don Hay, Craig Hartsburg are two great jr. coaches and yeah, not so much in the NHL. It doesn't automatically translate.

DeBoer must have been doing something that wasn't liked in Florida. Not that Florida (or Columbus or any of those irrelevant franschises) are a measure, but watching the way his team played, regardless of personnel, it didn't look like a very well coached team to me. Even if you have mediocre players, a good coach will have a semblance of order to their play ie. Lemaire when he was with Minny and Hitchcock in Columbus.

Last edited by hashmarks: 04-12-2011 at 11:19 PM.
hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 11:32 PM
glovesave_35
Name

This organization has been clinging with clenched fists to anything connected to the glory days (98-00), so while Hitch may be a better choice than some others out there he should be excluded from the outset. It's bad enough our lame duck owner hired a former fan favorite player to be the General Manager, but for him to bring back his old coach is just more nostalgia. A Hitch "type" of coach is acceptable, but not the man himself.

We need to move on. The banner is collecting dust. Let's try to add to it rather than shaking the cobwebs off.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 11:36 PM
crawz87

This is a very good thing for this organization. lol

crawz87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 12:07 AM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Hitch has not proven he can coach the new NHL at all. Would rather someone fresh.

MetalGodAOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 12:57 AM
bretzky29ca*

Kirk Muller, a former Dallas Stars alum, would make some sense here,no?

For giggles,I'll list the three coaches who I think will(not neccessarily should)fill the three vacancies.

Dallas-Ken Hitchcock
Ottawa-Peter DeBoer
Florida-Kirk Muller

bretzky29ca* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 12:57 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
I think Mike Haviland would be a good choice for Stars

Hawks assistant coach ,, Was mentioned with Devils job last summer before they went with Maclean

Good with young players. Was our minor league coach when guys like Versteeg , Hjalmarsson , Crawford and others were coming thru system

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 01:06 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
I think Mike Haviland would be a good choice for Stars

Hawks assistant coach ,, Was mentioned with Devils job last summer before they went with Maclean

Good with young players. Was our minor league coach when guys like Versteeg , Hjalmarsson , Crawford and others were coming thru system
Hopefully they don't have an opportunity to talk to him until at least after the 2nd round.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 01:17 AM
bhetz23
G-14 Classified

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
Well if Stuuuuuu gets brought up, how about Dahlen?
Yes, please.

Quote:
Not when #8 gets 97pts

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
This organization has been clinging with clenched fists to anything connected to the glory days (98-00)
Exactly why everyone got a hockey hard on when Joey was brought on as GM. I wanted to see what Brett could do.

bhetz23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 01:29 AM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
If that's the mentality floating around the dressing room then it really is important that the ax came down quick. No, it's not enough "anymore."

Quote:
I bet you its someone like Morrow or Benn. Maybe even Burish. Our "bad" players wouldn't say something like that. I expect players to defend Crow even if we hated him.
My guess is Daley or Robidas. It makes zero sense for a player like Benn to use the phrase "not good enough anymore." He's a second year player, anymore refers to a track record of some kind. My guess is either of those two defensemen with my gut saying Daley.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 01:56 AM
Brand New Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhetz23 View Post

Exactly why everyone got a hockey hard on when Joey was brought on as GM. I wanted to see what Brett could do.
Hull is ok but Nieuwendyk isn't? Same thing to me except Hull brought in Avery which was flat out stupid.

Brand New Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 01:58 AM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Quote:
Not when #8 gets 97pts
Disgusting. Get this attitude out of here. Only the Stanley Cup is good enough.

MetalGodAOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 02:04 AM
BeaverSports

I liked Crawford's brand of hockey, the Stars have been more entertaining to watch from strictly a style point of view, though I suppose if the trap wins Cups, to some, the trap is beautiful. To me, the team was a lot more fun to watch, particularly early this year than past teams.

As for DeBoer, I hear he and Tallon had very different ideas about how to approach the deadline and the idea of rebuilding and moving assets. In junior, I thought his brilliance was in his managing first, then his coaching. Maybe he's the type of coach who wants to do it his way and that eats at some GMs. Not sure that's the case, but he's used to doing things a certain way. If Carolina fires Maurice, don't be surprised if he goes there with the Compuware connection though.

On managers, though I still wanted a fresh face, I don't think Hull and Jackson did so bad. The Richards trade was great and Avery could have worked. Seems to me the most outspoken players about him were Modano and Turco again. If he was signed now, would he have been so poorly received?

BeaverSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 02:06 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Whoever said that needs to get shipped out of here if he thinks 95 points is acceptable.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 02:26 AM
phil7488
RIP Lokomotiv

Clearly the up-tempo, offensive minded style of the last 2 years wasn't working out. We need more structure to this defensively challenged team and Crawford wasn't going to provide that. I'm assuming Joe is wanting to change philosophies back to a defensive style and I think it's the correct move. It's what brought us moderate success with Tip. Our offense will be fine but this league dictates that good offense starts with good defense. We rode along the razors edge virtually this entire season and while we enjoyed great success from it up until January, it was only a matter of time before we collapsed do to our defensive negligence. We only have to look at the two Anaheim debacles to cite as evidence of such.

phil7488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 02:28 AM
phil7488
RIP Lokomotiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
Whoever said that needs to get shipped out of here if he thinks 95 points is acceptable.
I remember at the halfway mark of the season when we were first in the pacific and Ralph saying that all we needed to do was finish the rest of the season at .500 or better and we would have at least 97 points. We couldn't even do that. So yeah, 95 points isn't acceptable.

phil7488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 02:59 AM
Brand New Stars

I consider watching the team I cheer for winning as fun so I loved the trap style when it was successful in Dallas. Watching other teams use it, not so much.

Brand New Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 04:09 AM
________

vCash: 0
Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil7488 View Post
Clearly the up-tempo, offensive minded style of the last 2 years wasn't working out. We need more structure to this defensively challenged team and Crawford wasn't going to provide that. I'm assuming Joe is wanting to change philosophies back to a defensive style and I think it's the correct move. It's what brought us moderate success with Tip. Our offense will be fine but this league dictates that good offense starts with good defense. We rode along the razors edge virtually this entire season and while we enjoyed great success from it up until January, it was only a matter of time before we collapsed do to our defensive negligence. We only have to look at the two Anaheim debacles to cite as evidence of such.
It doesn't matter what system the team uses, the players on the current roster aren't big enough or strong enough to win puck battles consistently.

Nieuwendyk mentioned the team needs to get bigger up front and on defense.

I'd be surprised if the team went back to the defensive style first system and those styles don't have success in the playoffs anymore.

________ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 04:26 AM
________

vCash: 0
Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnholyPrince View Post
Disgusting. Get this attitude out of here. Only the Stanley Cup is good enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
The worst part is the players name never was mentioned, reminds of the "unnamed" player on the Avery quotes to TSN.

I agree, it's this same type of attitude around the team for a few years. The team needs another new leader or two.

________ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 07:56 AM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by hashmarks View Post
Examples please? There are far more coaches that have come from Jr.'s to suck at the NHL level, than have had success. One coach who has had success at every level, jr, IHL/AHL/NHL/International is Hitchcock.

Off the top of my head: Don Hay, Craig Hartsburg are two great jr. coaches and yeah, not so much in the NHL. It doesn't automatically translate.

DeBoer must have been doing something that wasn't liked in Florida. Not that Florida (or Columbus or any of those irrelevant franschises) are a measure, but watching the way his team played, regardless of personnel, it didn't look like a very well coached team to me. Even if you have mediocre players, a good coach will have a semblance of order to their play ie. Lemaire when he was with Minny and Hitchcock in Columbus.
Your pullig stuff out of your ass tryig to find reasons to discredit him. It's rare for a coach to have succes at one level and not at the next. Regardless of the level.

Florida talent wise is a last place team, an has been for years. Have they finished last? No, and it's because DeBoer was a good enough coach to get them to work hard and battle it out. Imagine what he could do with a talented team in Dallas.