HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Springfield Falcons/Evansville Icemen Thread III (All Affiliate talk here)

Closed Thread

Old
02-27-2012, 03:45 PM
JacketsFanWest

vCash: 500
Springfield Falcon's goalie Paul Dainton was named AHL Player of the Week:

http://theahl.com/dainton-named-play...e-week-p176280

Dainton had his first pro shutout over the weekend. (He's signed to an AHL contract by the Falcons and is not CBJ property, but he did attend CBJ training camp).

Old
03-03-2012, 06:19 PM
I Am Beat You

Springfield and Norfolk had a pre game brawl apparently. Hopefully a video comes up.

Old
03-04-2012, 11:45 AM
Mongo
Mongo likes candy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26HzUNdKjMc&sns=em

YouTube wraps aren't working from my iPhone so here's the link to the Pregame antics. Got it from the falcons Facebook page.

Old
03-04-2012, 12:22 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Not going to be able to attend any Express games until at least the 24th due to election work pretty much every day, but here's hoping I manage to go to a few more during my off time afterwards (regular season and hopefully playoffs, too, though they're on the outside looking in right now).

Old
03-07-2012, 03:15 PM
Xoggz22

Wasn't sure where to ask this but I was wondering....Dekanich is a RFA after the season provided we don't qualify him. If we do qualify him is it based on his one way deal or just a financial stipulation (I beileve qualifying guarantees 10% pay increase).

Maybe CBJ qualifies Mark but sign him to a 2 way deal? Could it happen? I guess if that's a possibility why not simply let him walk and come back and sign him to a 2-way if they are interested.

Just wonderin'

Old
03-13-2012, 05:16 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoggz22 View Post
Wasn't sure where to ask this but I was wondering....Dekanich is a RFA after the season provided we don't qualify him. If we do qualify him is it based on his one way deal or just a financial stipulation (I beileve qualifying guarantees 10% pay increase).

Maybe CBJ qualifies Mark but sign him to a 2 way deal? Could it happen? I guess if that's a possibility why not simply let him walk and come back and sign him to a 2-way if they are interested.

Just wonderin'
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...medium=twitter

Wilkes-Barre player (former EDM Steve McIntyre) goes berserk on Dainton and the rest of the Falcons.

Old
03-13-2012, 09:05 PM
Hockeygirl2748

Just want to apologize for the lack of posts this season. I am mostly doing updates on twitter only. I will do a quick rundown of thoughts on the overall team and certain players as we approach the last 14 games of the season.

The team is still in a tight playoff race. 2 points out of 8th place.

Cam Atkinson who is on re-call to Columbus is the best naturally skilled player I have seen in Springfield since Daniel Briere. He can make plays that look impossible. His defensive play was a liability to start this season which Columbus told him to work on. He did work hard on his game and was on the PK unit here. Played better defense than more of the defense prospects here.

Martin St. Pierre is leading the Falcons in scoring with 56 points. 10 goals and 46 assists. Even He is still on the Falcons 1st line night after night.

Alex Giroux is 2nd in scoring with 48 points. 23-25. This is not the Giroux that was lighting the AHL up in years past. He floats around and shows little want to be on the ice. Like St. Pierre there is little hustle in his play. He stepped up after Cam was re-called, but in my mind it is too little, too late for Rooster.

Matt Calvert is a tale of two Matty's. After his early season injuries Matty looked scared on the ice and lost at times. He did not want to battle for the puck and the moniker a few of us on twitter had given him of MattyHustle was not correct. After a month of games here his confidence had returned and Matty began to go into battles for the puck and find his game. He hustles every shift and makes his linemates better. His point total of 26 (13-13) reflects his linemates more than his play.

Tomas Kubalik has had an injury plagued season. He missed 17 games with a foot/ankle injury. In 45 games Kubalik has 22 points (10-12). He has been hot and cold this season. A few good games and then a few bad. He needs to get in front of the net more, like last season. Coach Rob Riley is always changing his linemates which does not help any chemistry.

Maksim Mayorov also has had an injury plagued season after going head and shoulder first into the goal post. He has played only 35 games between injuries and re-calls. He has 19 points 8-11. He had a few good games just before his recent re-call.

David Savard is regressed this season. He has not used his great shot much at all. Scoring 3 goals in 34 games. He has 16 points overall. His on ice attitude when being assigned here early in the season was bad. He looked like he could not care less about the game and made weak plays. When Nick Holden was injured David did step up and take on more responsibility. After David's 2nd assignment here he was better on the ice. Nothing like his rookie season, which was a very good season. I am hopefully he can find his game and shot and use it!

Cody Goloubef has had a better season, with a hand injury that kept him out for approximately 2 months. His player awareness, positioning and overall play has improved a ton over his rookie season. He still has a lot of work before he gets an NHL sniff full time. I am must more optimistic about his future though.

Dalton Prout's rookie season has been up and down. He has a big body but does not use it to his advantage. Some games he looks AHL capable and other games he is the worst d-man out there. I think the adjustment to a bigger and fast pro game has been an issue at times. Interested to see how he plays in his sophomore outing in the pro game and if he can use his size more.

Best acquisition of the season. Greg Amadio in an AHL deal for Mike Thomas. Amadio is a warrior. Blocks shots all game (one game he blocked at least 5 and 1 was with his face and he missed no shifts), fights, checks and can play good D. Columbus PLEASE sign him for us!!!

I just picked out who I felt most Jacket fans would like to hear about.

Falcons have a 3 in 3 this weekend (like normal). v.s. Portland, @ CT and @Prov.

Old
03-14-2012, 06:05 AM
EspenK

Sounds like the farm is developing players in true Jacket form

Old
03-14-2012, 06:49 AM
FANonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
And they say the organization has no identity...

Old
03-14-2012, 12:10 PM
Hockeygirl2748

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
I would say there are few true prospects here. Calvert, Kubalik, Savard, Goloubef, Prout and I guess Ruth. Most are older guys or guys like Regner who have no real future in the NHL...barely in the AHL as well.

I think with better coaches the prospects will mature and become better overall players. The team needs a coach they will not let them float through games.

Old
03-14-2012, 01:11 PM
Xoggz22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeygirl2748 View Post
Just want to apologize for the lack of posts this season. I am mostly doing updates on twitter only. I will do a quick rundown of thoughts on the overall team and certain players as we approach the last 14 games of the season.

The team is still in a tight playoff race. 2 points out of 8th place.

Cam Atkinson who is on re-call to Columbus is the best naturally skilled player I have seen in Springfield since Daniel Briere. He can make plays that look impossible. His defensive play was a liability to start this season which Columbus told him to work on. He did work hard on his game and was on the PK unit here. Played better defense than more of the defense prospects here.

Martin St. Pierre is leading the Falcons in scoring with 56 points. 10 goals and 46 assists. Even He is still on the Falcons 1st line night after night.

Alex Giroux is 2nd in scoring with 48 points. 23-25. This is not the Giroux that was lighting the AHL up in years past. He floats around and shows little want to be on the ice. Like St. Pierre there is little hustle in his play. He stepped up after Cam was re-called, but in my mind it is too little, too late for Rooster.

Matt Calvert is a tale of two Matty's. After his early season injuries Matty looked scared on the ice and lost at times. He did not want to battle for the puck and the moniker a few of us on twitter had given him of MattyHustle was not correct. After a month of games here his confidence had returned and Matty began to go into battles for the puck and find his game. He hustles every shift and makes his linemates better. His point total of 26 (13-13) reflects his linemates more than his play.

Tomas Kubalik has had an injury plagued season. He missed 17 games with a foot/ankle injury. In 45 games Kubalik has 22 points (10-12). He has been hot and cold this season. A few good games and then a few bad. He needs to get in front of the net more, like last season. Coach Rob Riley is always changing his linemates which does not help any chemistry.

Maksim Mayorov also has had an injury plagued season after going head and shoulder first into the goal post. He has played only 35 games between injuries and re-calls. He has 19 points 8-11. He had a few good games just before his recent re-call.

David Savard is regressed this season. He has not used his great shot much at all. Scoring 3 goals in 34 games. He has 16 points overall. His on ice attitude when being assigned here early in the season was bad. He looked like he could not care less about the game and made weak plays. When Nick Holden was injured David did step up and take on more responsibility. After David's 2nd assignment here he was better on the ice. Nothing like his rookie season, which was a very good season. I am hopefully he can find his game and shot and use it!

Cody Goloubef has had a better season, with a hand injury that kept him out for approximately 2 months. His player awareness, positioning and overall play has improved a ton over his rookie season. He still has a lot of work before he gets an NHL sniff full time. I am must more optimistic about his future though.

Dalton Prout's rookie season has been up and down. He has a big body but does not use it to his advantage. Some games he looks AHL capable and other games he is the worst d-man out there. I think the adjustment to a bigger and fast pro game has been an issue at times. Interested to see how he plays in his sophomore outing in the pro game and if he can use his size more.

Best acquisition of the season. Greg Amadio in an AHL deal for Mike Thomas. Amadio is a warrior. Blocks shots all game (one game he blocked at least 5 and 1 was with his face and he missed no shifts), fights, checks and can play good D. Columbus PLEASE sign him for us!!!

I just picked out who I felt most Jacket fans would like to hear about.

Falcons have a 3 in 3 this weekend (like normal). v.s. Portland, @ CT and @Prov.
Thanks for the updates. I'm interested in Regner. Seems like, from what little I've seen he's had a very solid season putting up points and playing solid in his own end. Seems like a kid that has grown. In your opinion what do you see on the ice?

Old
03-14-2012, 02:51 PM
Hockeygirl2748

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoggz22 View Post
Thanks for the updates. I'm interested in Regner. Seems like, from what little I've seen he's had a very solid season putting up points and playing solid in his own end. Seems like a kid that has grown. In your opinion what do you see on the ice?
He puts up points mainly because he leaves his position to play offensively. His defense is a 5-6 AHL d-man and I have not been impressed by him. He plays on the top pair most games because we are truly that weak on defense.

Old
03-14-2012, 04:00 PM
orthosrgn2

Quote:
He puts up points mainly because he leaves his position to play offensively. His defense is a 5-6 AHL d-man and I have not been impressed by him. He plays on the top pair most games because we are truly that weak on defense.
Hockygirl,

I can't thank you enough for keeping us informed of "goings on" down on the farm. Your comments about Regner and the weak defense lead me to believe Goulabef, Savard and Ruth are behind in their progress. Am I correct?

Old
03-14-2012, 09:31 PM
Hockeygirl2748

Quote:
Originally Posted by orthosrgn2 View Post
Hockygirl,

I can't thank you enough for keeping us informed of "goings on" down on the farm. Your comments about Regner and the weak defense lead me to believe Goulabef, Savard and Ruth are behind in their progress. Am I correct?
Savard has regressed from last season. He has been all over the map this season. A lot has to do with his attitude about being sent down IMO.

Regner I never saw as a real prospect over the past 2 seasons. Does not have the defensive skill to be a shutdown guy in the AHL. He played some games at forward last season and I feel it was a great fit. He loves to leave his position to play the offense game, why not allow him to do so without hurting the defense.

Ruth. I have no clue what to say about him. He is the Goloubef of this season, lost. Out of position and scrambling. He lost his marbles in early Feb and cross checked a player in the face and was suspended. I was happy he was out of the lineup.

Goloubef has improved from last season. I think him not playing much to start his rookie year hurt him. As the season went on and he was in the lineup, the adjustment was tough. He looked lost and like he did not know what to do. This season he came in looking solid and like his confidence is back. He has played a more physical game since returning from injury. Checking has been much harder and battles for the puck as well.

Old
03-14-2012, 09:37 PM
Hockeygirl2748

Goaltender new today in Springfield.

Allen York was assigned by the Blue Jackets.

Paul Dainton is home in Ontario to deal with a family illness.

Mike Clemente was signed to an ATO after 4 years at Brown. 32-54 there. Fabulous.

The Falcons have 3 goalies not including Dainton with York, Legace and Clemente. None are AHL #1's.

Old
03-14-2012, 09:43 PM
Hipster Letestu

Quote:
Goaltender new today in Springfield.

Allen York was assigned by the Blue Jackets.

Paul Dainton is home in Ontario to deal with a family illness.

Mike Clemente was signed to an ATO after 4 years at Brown. 32-54 there. Fabulous.

The Falcons have 3 goalies not including Dainton with York, Legace and Clemente. None are AHL #1's.
Apparently Dainton's dad had a successful lung transplant.

Old
03-14-2012, 10:30 PM
Hockeygirl2748

Quote:
Originally Posted by astall35 View Post
Apparently Dainton's dad had a successful lung transplant.
Yes he did. Didn't know if I should post that or not.

Old
03-14-2012, 10:32 PM
Hipster Letestu

Quote:
Yes he did. Didn't know if I should post that or not.
It was announced by the team, I don't think it was a secret.

Old
03-14-2012, 10:41 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Hopefully Golo, Ruth, and Savvy rebound. Thanks for the updates, us in Cbus truly appreciate it.

Old
03-15-2012, 06:44 AM
hyster110

Nick Holden

Does anyone know what happened to Nick holden, i saw he was off the active roster in springfield?

Old
03-15-2012, 08:55 AM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Wow, it almost seems like we are back to being an expansion team with such awful organizational depth.

That isn't just my opinion.

If you want to really get depressed, read the latest "Future Watch" edition of The Hockey News.

Old
03-15-2012, 11:40 AM
Hockeygirl2748

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyster110 View Post
Does anyone know what happened to Nick holden, i saw he was off the active roster in springfield?
Separated shoulder in his 1st game back after returning from another injury. He had surgery and is out the rest of the season.

Old
03-15-2012, 12:00 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fire View Post
Wow, it almost seems like we are back to being an expansion team with such awful organizational depth.

If you want to really get depressed, read the latest "Future Watch" edition of The Hockey News.
By the same token, if you want to feel incredibly optimistic, read the old Future Watch issues from 2000-06. Also consider that Denis, Klesla, and Brule were all #1 prospects at some point.

Old
03-15-2012, 12:54 PM
JacketsFanWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fire View Post

The drafting is 1000x better now then it was when THN was raving about all the prospects being the next big thing.

The issue is development. Syracuse and now Springfield really is doing nothing to develop prospects. We have kids coming in there doing great and then floundering.

This year, injuries have really taken a toll. Kubalik could be a top prospect but he's battled injury after injury. Calvert has regressed. The defensemen have all regressed except Moore.

Something is seriously lacking and it needs to be solved. There's some good prospects turning pro in the next few years. Either the Jackets solve the development problem or they're going to keep struggling.

But organization depth is relatively good if players progress. It's not like the early days when most of the Jackets players drafted never got past the ECHL or never turned pro and the only "impact" players were lower round older Euros.

Old
03-15-2012, 01:59 PM
CBJ Bob
It Smells Bad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
By the same token, if you want to feel incredibly optimistic, read the old Future Watch issues from 2000-06. Also consider that Denis, Klesla, and Brule were all #1 prospects at some point.
As was Filatov.

Closed Thread