HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Springfield Falcons/Evansville Icemen Thread III (All Affiliate talk here)

Closed Thread

Old
03-15-2012, 02:02 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fire View Post
Wow, it almost seems like we are back to being an expansion team with such awful organizational depth.

That isn't just my opinion.

If you want to really get depressed, read the latest "Future Watch" edition of The Hockey News.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacketsFanWest View Post
The drafting is 1000x better now then it was when THN was raving about all the prospects being the next big thing.

The issue is development. Syracuse and now Springfield really is doing nothing to develop prospects. We have kids coming in there doing great and then floundering.

This year, injuries have really taken a toll. Kubalik could be a top prospect but he's battled injury after injury. Calvert has regressed. The defensemen have all regressed except Moore.

Something is seriously lacking and it needs to be solved. There's some good prospects turning pro in the next few years. Either the Jackets solve the development problem or they're going to keep struggling.

But organization depth is relatively good if players progress. It's not like the early days when most of the Jackets players drafted never got past the ECHL or never turned pro and the only "impact" players were lower round older Euros.
Good points, JFW.

As a related but separate matter, I would add that the makeup of the big team's roster makes the depth Doc was referring to look worse. Both due to injury and talent.

Old
03-15-2012, 02:46 PM
Hockeygirl2748

Quote:
The drafting is 1000x better now then it was when THN was raving about all the prospects being the next big thing.

The issue is development. Syracuse and now Springfield really is doing nothing to develop prospects. We have kids coming in there doing great and then floundering.

This year, injuries have really taken a toll. Kubalik could be a top prospect but he's battled injury after injury. Calvert has regressed. The defensemen have all regressed except Moore.

Something is seriously lacking and it needs to be solved. There's some good prospects turning pro in the next few years. Either the Jackets solve the development problem or they're going to keep struggling.

But organization depth is relatively good if players progress. It's not like the early days when most of the Jackets players drafted never got past the ECHL or never turned pro and the only "impact" players were lower round older Euros.
Columbus needs to hire a coach that has experience at the pro level. A college coach at a non elite hockey school (Army) that had a mediocre record and was kept because of his name was not a smart idea to groom prospects. Players are not being pushed to play at their best. Fromm prospects to vets, it seems like Riley lost the team early on.

As for Calvert, I disagree. At the beginning of the season he did regress, now I feel he is a better overall player than last season.

Old
03-15-2012, 03:25 PM
Crede777
Deputized

The players who do the best are usually the ones that have spent the least amount of time in our system. That is a major problem.

Old
03-15-2012, 03:31 PM
JacketsFanWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeygirl2748 View Post
Columbus needs to hire a coach that has experience at the pro level. A college coach at a non elite hockey school (Army) that had a mediocre record and was kept because of his name was not a smart idea to groom prospects. Players are not being pushed to play at their best. Fromm prospects to vets, it seems like Riley lost the team early on.
I agree about Riley, I hate saying that since he seems like a very good coach and did fantastic at the USMA with players who were never going to go pro. The problem is that at USMA, it's an entire system built around leadership, commitment and effort. It wasn't Riley haven't to instill that into his players. He wouldn't have to deal with lazy players who can't get up on time and motivate themselves to get to the rink and have inflated egos there. He got players to go beyond their potential, but is that really a big deal at a school like that?

Old
03-15-2012, 04:35 PM
Xoggz22
HFB Partner

Maybe it's just been difficult to judge because of the horrible year at the NHL level but I don't agree that our prospects haven't developed this year. I don't think Moore has looked out of place in the NHL and neither did Savard. I think Cam made a very solid adjustment to the AHL. Mayorov, I think, looked pretty good in the last couple games in Columbus. Goloubef has improved dramatically this year. One common thread in all levels of our "system"....

Poor goaltending. Players simply play differently when the expectation is that a mistake will be costly. I'm not saying we've done an exceptional job but to say we haven't seen a step forward in development seems inaccurate to me. What we haven't seen is the development of high end talent but I would argue there is little high end talent in the organization so maybe expectations for such things are beyond reasonable.

We've had great feedback from our friends in Springfield and I appreciate that. I just don't buy the thought that we haven't developed anything lately. Could it be better? Sure it could but I think we're seeing there are NHL caliber players in the system. Injuries have definitely played a major role in some potential stunted growth for some of the guys (Kubalik, Calvert, Goloubef, Mayorov and others I'm sure).

I'm not ecstatic but I do think it's moving forward not backward. Just my opinion though....

Old
03-15-2012, 09:35 PM
Hockeygirl2748

Quote:
I agree about Riley, I hate saying that since he seems like a very good coach and did fantastic at the USMA with players who were never going to go pro. The problem is that at USMA, it's an entire system built around leadership, commitment and effort. It wasn't Riley haven't to instill that into his players. He wouldn't have to deal with lazy players who can't get up on time and motivate themselves to get to the rink and have inflated egos there. He got players to go beyond their potential, but is that really a big deal at a school like that?
Exactly! That has been my thoughts on him since the end of last season. I gave him time to see if he could adjust to coaching pro, but he has not. Most nights he does not have emotion on the bench, as of late he has some, too little too late for me. Hope they can get good coaches to guide the prospects next season!

Old
03-16-2012, 07:17 PM
JacketsFanWest

Mike Clemente, who just signed out of college, is starting with Allen York backing him up. What the? I know Allen is struggling since he's barely played, but c'mon. Why can't he get any games in?

Old
03-16-2012, 10:41 PM
Hockeygirl2748

Quote:
Mike Clemente, who just signed out of college, is starting with Allen York backing him up. What the? I know Allen is struggling since he's barely played, but c'mon. Why can't he get any games in?
The entire Jackets organization has decided York should only ride the pine this season, on every team. hahaha Seriously though, I think it was because we have 3 in 3 and this was the 'weakest' game we have. I expect York tomorrow in Hartford.

Old
03-16-2012, 10:42 PM
scoob4093
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to scoob4093
Quote:
Clemente was the 2nd star tonight stopping 24 of 25 shots.

Old
03-17-2012, 11:46 AM
Hockeygirl2748

Paul Dainton may be in goal if he arrives back in time to join the team in Hartford.

Old
03-17-2012, 11:48 AM
2minpenalty

Quote:
Exactly! That has been my thoughts on him since the end of last season. I gave him time to see if he could adjust to coaching pro, but he has not. Most nights he does not have emotion on the bench, as of late he has some, too little too late for me. Hope they can get good coaches to guide the prospects next season!
I completely agree with you. Riley and Larson are in over their heads in trying to coach at this level. If CBJ were serious about developing their prospects and making this AHL team a contender, they would have hired an up and coming coaching staff that wants to get to the next level. Instead, they throw together a staff with very little experience and let the players fend for themselves.

Old
03-19-2012, 12:01 PM
Hockeygirl2748

This weekend the Falcons went 2-1. Mike Clemente started his 1st 2 games as a pro Friday and Saturday winning both games. Friday he won 5-1 over the Portland Pirates. He posted his 1st shutout Saturday night in Hartford v.s. the Whale. Winning 3-0. I was very scared after seeing his record at Brown and the opening period was scary on Friday, he gained confidence and played very well Saturday and Sunday in relief of Paul Dainton (more on this later).

The Falcons PK again was the story v.s. Portland, as they scored 2 SH goals. Nick Drazenovic scored the Falcons 1st goal, assists to my fav. d-man Greg Amadio & Matty Calvert. Adam Mair scored the 1st Falcons SH goal in the 3rd period at 2:25. Unassisted. Dalton Prout scored on a big slapshot from right inside the blueline at 4:19, assist to Martin St. Pierre. Matt Calvert has the best goal of the game with a SH breakaway at 8:19. Tomas Kubalik closed out the scoring at 18:23 on the PP. Alex Giroux and Martin St. Pierre assisting.

In the 1st Ryan Garlock was hit with a stick high and was pouring blood from his nose. Pirate Ashton Rome was given 4:00 for the high stick, but it was actually Kubalik who's stick hit Garlock. Ryan would come back after stitches and in the 3rd period was slashed and fought Tyler Eckford (not a known fighter or dirty player at all). Ryan looked awful postgame.

Clemente saved 24 of 25 SOG.

Saturday @ CT the Falcons came out with a weak 1st period. Giroux taking 2 lazy penalties did not help the Falcons. The Falcons came out looking much better in the 2nd. Nick Drazenovic scored the Falcons 1st goal. A tap in to the right of Chad Johnson. Assists to Wade MacLeod and Dalton Prout. Matt Clavert scored at 14:21 of the 2nd. Assists to Drazenovic and Regner. Maksim Mayorov closed the scoring, going 5 hole on Chad Johnson at 17:21, unassisted.

Sunday @ Providence. Falcons lost 5-1. Paul Dainton allowed 4 goals on 9 SOG. Looking at that you would gather Dainton was awful. No. Dalton Prout and David Savard killed the Falcons themselves with horrible play. Both turning pucks over all game and allowing guys breakaways SH. Paul's head may not be 100% after coming back after his fathers surgery. But, he was not as bad as many will make him out to be. The Falcons goal came from Drazenovic, assists to Calvert and Regner.

Drazenovic-Calvert-MacLeod were hot hot hot! Best line of the week. Greg Amadio needs to get more ice time, he blocks shots, hits, plays solid D. I guess that confuses Riley.

Old
03-19-2012, 04:01 PM
Nikita Filatov

Quote:
This weekend the Falcons went 2-1. Mike Clemente started his 1st 2 games as a pro Friday and Saturday winning both games. Friday he won 5-1 over the Portland Pirates. He posted his 1st shutout Saturday night in Hartford v.s. the Whale. Winning 3-0. I was very scared after seeing his record at Brown and the opening period was scary on Friday, he gained confidence and played very well Saturday and Sunday in relief of Paul Dainton (more on this later).

The Falcons PK again was the story v.s. Portland, as they scored 2 SH goals. Nick Drazenovic scored the Falcons 1st goal, assists to my fav. d-man Greg Amadio & Matty Calvert. Adam Mair scored the 1st Falcons SH goal in the 3rd period at 2:25. Unassisted. Dalton Prout scored on a big slapshot from right inside the blueline at 4:19, assist to Martin St. Pierre. Matt Calvert has the best goal of the game with a SH breakaway at 8:19. Tomas Kubalik closed out the scoring at 18:23 on the PP. Alex Giroux and Martin St. Pierre assisting.

In the 1st Ryan Garlock was hit with a stick high and was pouring blood from his nose. Pirate Ashton Rome was given 4:00 for the high stick, but it was actually Kubalik who's stick hit Garlock. Ryan would come back after stitches and in the 3rd period was slashed and fought Tyler Eckford (not a known fighter or dirty player at all). Ryan looked awful postgame.

Clemente saved 24 of 25 SOG.

Saturday @ CT the Falcons came out with a weak 1st period. Giroux taking 2 lazy penalties did not help the Falcons. The Falcons came out looking much better in the 2nd. Nick Drazenovic scored the Falcons 1st goal. A tap in to the right of Chad Johnson. Assists to Wade MacLeod and Dalton Prout. Matt Clavert scored at 14:21 of the 2nd. Assists to Drazenovic and Regner. Maksim Mayorov closed the scoring, going 5 hole on Chad Johnson at 17:21, unassisted.

Sunday @ Providence. Falcons lost 5-1. Paul Dainton allowed 4 goals on 9 SOG. Looking at that you would gather Dainton was awful. No. Dalton Prout and David Savard killed the Falcons themselves with horrible play. Both turning pucks over all game and allowing guys breakaways SH. Paul's head may not be 100% after coming back after his fathers surgery. But, he was not as bad as many will make him out to be. The Falcons goal came from Drazenovic, assists to Calvert and Regner.

Drazenovic-Calvert-MacLeod were hot hot hot! Best line of the week. Greg Amadio needs to get more ice time, he blocks shots, hits, plays solid D. I guess that confuses Riley.
What do you think of Drazenovic? The early season injury was troubling to hear after his awesome start. Think Columbus resigns him and might even try to give him a shot up here? Any chance of an NHL future in him?

Old
03-19-2012, 04:39 PM
Doug19

Hope this team makes the playoffs so that Cam can get some action down there which is where I'd rather see him right now, but depth on the big club doesn't allow that.

Old
03-19-2012, 08:38 PM
Hockeygirl2748

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikita Filatov View Post
What do you think of Drazenovic? The early season injury was troubling to hear after his awesome start. Think Columbus resigns him and might even try to give him a shot up here? Any chance of an NHL future in him?
I don't see him playing a full-time role in the NHL. His injuries were unfortunate. He was playing well and then when he came back he was injured again right away. He is an energy player like Calvert, can score and hustles. As a 3rd liner at the NHL level I would give him a try, if it doesn't work, send him here. I hope he is re-signed as well.

Old
03-20-2012, 08:48 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug61 View Post
Hope this team makes the playoffs so that Cam can get some action down there which is where I'd rather see him right now, but depth on the big club doesn't allow that.
Yeah, I know. The experience Cam has been receiving at the NHL level has been brutal.

Old
03-20-2012, 09:26 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Yeah, I know. The experience Cam has been receiving at the NHL level has been brutal.
Maybe he can go back down and try to come up with a shootout move?

Old
03-20-2012, 09:43 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
Maybe he can go back down and try to come up with a shootout move?
We must reward with demotions. I think we are the only fan base that worries about year end promotions for those deserving of an extended look.

Old
03-23-2012, 11:41 AM
Hockeygirl2748

Falcons have another 3 in 3 weekend. They are home tonight v.s. Bridgeport Sound Tigers and are on the road Sat @ Adirondack and Sunday @ Wilkes-Barre/Scranton. Sunday could be a bad game as Steve MacIntyre is back from suspension after attacking Falcons goalie Paul Dainton 2 weekends ago.

Old
03-23-2012, 02:09 PM
JacketsFanWest

Quote:
Sunday could be a bad game as Steve MacIntyre is back from suspension after attacking Falcons goalie Paul Dainton 2 weekends ago.
Too bad Jared Boll couldn't be sent down on a conditioning assignment after his recent injury just for that game.

The Falcons need a someone to after that lunatic.

Old
03-23-2012, 02:12 PM
Hockeygirl2748

Quote:
Too bad Jared Boll couldn't be sent down on a conditioning assignment after his recent injury just for that game.

The Falcons need a someone to after that lunatic.
We have a few enforcers. Problem is Riley will not play them except for Amadio. We shall see Sunday what Riley does.

Old
03-23-2012, 02:48 PM
JacketsFanWest

Quote:
We have a few enforcers. Problem is Riley will not play them except for Amadio. We shall see Sunday what Riley does.
I'm just worried about one of the younger guys trying to step up against a 6'5, 250 lb NHL vet with roid rage.

Old
03-23-2012, 05:22 PM
bizzz*

I remember the year when Brassard played in the AHL and no one would mess with the Crunch cause they had tremendous group of tough guys. And the Jackets were successful in developing that type of players.
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/l...005082008.html

Dorsette - 289 PIM in 64 games - in the NHL now.
Sestito - 202 PIM in 66 games - in the NHL with Philly.
Konopka - 194 PIM in 62 games - in the NHL with Ottawa.
Mirasty - 181 PIM in 55 games - in the KHL.
Methot - 130 PIM in 66 games - in the NHl.
Rome - 126 PIM in 41 game - in the NHL with Vancouver.

6 PIM leaders from that season have made it to the highest level. Not so bad for the team that can't develop players.

Old
03-23-2012, 06:23 PM
CBJWennberg41
Me when I watch CBJ

How many points back is Springfield of the last spot?

Old
03-23-2012, 10:26 PM
scoob4093
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to scoob4093
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
How many points back is Springfield of the last spot?
1 point behind 8th place Manchester with each team having 10 games left. However the 10th place team Worcester is 1 point behind the Falcons with 12 games left.

Closed Thread