HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Springfield Falcons/Evansville Icemen Thread III (All Affiliate talk here)

Closed Thread

Old
07-26-2012, 05:42 PM
JacketsFanWest

vCash: 500
As for forwards, these are the players likely in Springfield (some may end up in Evansville):

Could be in Springy or Columbus depending on camp or injuries: Matt Calvert, Ryan Johansen, Cody Bass, Ryan Russell

Likely AHL Bound: Tomas Kubalik, Andrew Joudrey, Jonathan Audy-Marchessault, Nick Drazenovic

AHL contracts: Wade MacLeod, Tim Spencer, Nathan Moon, Trent Vogelhuber, Ryan Craig

Rookies: Michael Chaput, Dalton Smith (still junior eligible), Sean Collins, Jake Hansen, Oliver Gabriel

Defensemen

Fighting for a spot on Jackets: John Moore, David Savard, Tim Erixon

Likely AHL Bound: Nick Holden, Dalton Prout, Cody Goloubef

Could end up in Evansville: Theo Ruth, Anton Blomqvist

Rookies: Will Weber, Austin Madaisky (still junior eligible)

Last edited by JacketsFanWest: 07-26-2012 at 05:47 PM.
Old
07-26-2012, 08:26 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
getting in late on this but I live quite close to Evansville and went to an Icemen game in their first season when they were just independent... are they now an ECHL team? If so I will have to go see them again(they were painful to watch that first year)
Yep, they're our ECHL affiliate.

jooiiinnnnn usssss...

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Old
07-27-2012, 08:54 AM
Hockeygirl2748

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacketsFanWest View Post
This seems really odd that they'd sign another goalie, unless they know about another move by the Jackets (i.e. Mason on his way out).

Currently, the Falcons have goalies Mike Clemente and Paul Dainton on AHL only contracts. The Jackets have Bobrovsky, Mason, McElhinney (2 way contract) and Allen York (ELC).

Without any changes its:

Columbus: Bobrovsky/Mason
Springfield: McElhinney/York
Evansville: Dainton/Clemente

It's nice of Springfield to be signing all these goalies for Evansville. But considering how York was treated last season, he'll be in Evansville and Dainton in Springy.
To be honest, Dainton played well enough last season to be here instead of York. I know York was rusty because of lack of playing time everywhere, but Columbus is who assigned him to Chicago, not Springfield.

As for Clemente, expect him to be in Evansville. He did earn an AHL deal though IMO. So, happy to see him stay within the org.

Old
07-27-2012, 11:21 AM
Xoggz22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
Great source of information, thanks for sharing!
I believe the hockey news has something similar too.

Old
07-27-2012, 01:59 PM
FlaggerX

Quote:
As for forwards, these are the players likely in Springfield (some may end up in Evansville):

Could be in Springy or Columbus depending on camp or injuries: Matt Calvert, Ryan Johansen, Cody Bass, Ryan Russell

Likely AHL Bound: Tomas Kubalik, Andrew Joudrey, Jonathan Audy-Marchessault, Nick Drazenovic

AHL contracts: Wade MacLeod, Tim Spencer, Nathan Moon, Trent Vogelhuber, Ryan Craig

Rookies: Michael Chaput, Dalton Smith (still junior eligible), Sean Collins, Jake Hansen, Oliver Gabriel

Defensemen

Fighting for a spot on Jackets: John Moore, David Savard, Tim Erixon

Likely AHL Bound: Nick Holden, Dalton Prout, Cody Goloubef

Could end up in Evansville: Theo Ruth, Anton Blomqvist

Rookies: Will Weber, Austin Madaisky (still junior eligible)
Agreed. Springfield should be a lot better this year then last.

Old
07-27-2012, 06:04 PM
JacketsFanWest

Last season Springy had far more big name free agents. Had there not been the injuries, Sanford would have been in net and Aaron Johnson would have been their top defenseman.

They've lost some of their big free-agents, like Alexandre Giroux and Martin St. Pierre. Mayorov will also be gone. Upfront, there's going to be some questions, especially if there are injuries in Columbus. There are a lot of rookie forwards coming in and it would be nice if some can step up like Atkinson did.

Defensively, they should be more solid with so many of the Jackets prospects having been in the AHL for a year or more. The question is how much they can progress.

Hopefully there is more veteran leadership. Ryan Craig was signed for that purpose, but they're going to need for the CBJ prospects to step up and provide leadership now.

In goal, McElhinney could potentially end up like Sanford, but at least York and Dainton aren't rookies. Clemente was solid in the games he played late last season. They hopefully have some stability and depth in goal even when the eventual injuries and call-ups happen.

Old
07-28-2012, 02:44 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoggz22 View Post
I believe the hockey news has something similar too.
They both subscribe to the same service run by forecaster.ca. See: http://forecaster.ca/demos/hockey/

Old
07-31-2012, 12:45 PM
ndd17
Hate the rags

IceMen sign forward Dan Gendur
http://www.evansvilleicemen.com/4161...ing-dan-gendur

Old
07-31-2012, 02:12 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndd17 View Post
The guy can score, but he makes a Carebear look like Jody Shelley. Very easy to knock off his game. I can remember when Canucks fans thought they had a great prospect in him, until his deficiencies were exploited.

Old
07-31-2012, 11:14 PM
Ziostilon

Gabriel i think is going to stay this time around.

With Madaisky, there doesn't appear to be a spot open for him. think he'll be back in the WHL.

dalton Smith and Chaput? don't know much about either, any prognostications?

Old
08-01-2012, 09:47 AM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziostilon View Post
Gabriel i think is going to stay this time around.

With Madaisky, there doesn't appear to be a spot open for him. think he'll be back in the WHL.

dalton Smith and Chaput? don't know much about either, any prognostications?
Gabriel is no longer eligible for junior hockey, so it's either the AHL or the ECHL for him, as I don't think he'll be making the Jackets.

Madaisky is a battler, and will be hard to cut; I still think the team isn't done with their offseason yet and will be shipping off a defenseman before the start of the season. If that's the case, then Madaisky will make the Falcons and should be a great physical presence on the back end for them. It is possible that he goes back to junior, but unlikely IMO.

Dalton Smith could go either way. I know (for whatever reason) Scott Howson is high on him, and he could play in Springfield as a third/fourth line role player. He could also be sent back to junior to further develop his offensive game, which wouldn't surprise me at all.

Michael Chaput had arguably the best season of any forward in the system last season, and will be looking to make his mark at the pro level this year. If his game translates to the AHL right away, he's a guy that could see top-6 forward time for Springfield next year. If not, he still has all of the tangible assets to be a serviceable third line forward with some offensive upside.

There are some interesting players coming up this year, in what should be a major year of turnover in the system. For the first time in Jackets history, I think we're seeing more guys based on work ethic and character than talent alone, which should not only make Springfield a more exciting team overall, but a better team as well. I like what's going on in the system right now; really all we need is to add some top end talent to go along with those blue collar players, and we should see some real interesting years ahead. Both at the AHL and NHL level

Old
08-01-2012, 01:24 PM
ndd17
Hate the rags

I with a great interest will watch Chaput in AHL. The guy spent very good season in Shawinigan. CHL Memorial Cup Champion+CHL Memorial Cup MVP.I wait from it for good, productive game.
Madaisky? Seems to me, he will be often out of TOP-6 D-man.
Dalton Smith? I don't know, probably Fourth line. Hardly above.

Old
08-01-2012, 03:01 PM
JacketsFanWest

Dalton Smith shouldn't be rushed the way Jared Boll was. He needs to develop into more than a fighter. His offensive numbers were way down last season. Stats aren't everything and he's had 4 years of junior, but he needs to develop more skill even if his potential is a 4th liner.

But maybe returning to junior and pushing around guys who are 3 years younger and 30 pounds lighter wouldn't be worth it and he would be better off being a 1st line ECHLer?

Old
08-01-2012, 03:19 PM
candyman82

Quote:
Dalton Smith shouldn't be rushed the way Jared Boll was. He needs to develop into more than a fighter. His offensive numbers were way down last season. Stats aren't everything and he's had 4 years of junior, but he needs to develop more skill even if his potential is a 4th liner.

But maybe returning to junior and pushing around guys who are 3 years younger and 30 pounds lighter wouldn't be worth it and he would be better off being a 1st line ECHLer?
I don't think they were way down. He played 11 fewer games, had three more goals, and only 4 fewer total points

Old
08-01-2012, 03:44 PM
JacketsFanWest

Smith started the season with a 10 game suspension for charging and had a very slow start after that. For a player who was suppose to be a veteran leader, he didn't have a very good season.

His draft year, he had 21 goals in 63 games. The past two seasons he's only had 12 and 15 goals despite playing on a very high scoring team.

Old
08-01-2012, 06:30 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:

Possible career path, for sure, JFW. Though I don't think Jared Boll would have developed into much more, at least with Dalton Smith we can try something different, and we do have the luxury of not needing him in the NHL right away. Though many players don't typically go the ECHL route and make it to the NHL, there are rare exceptions (Fernando Pisani might be a good example)

I still think that both of our picks in that second round were doomed for failure from day one. There will be some very good players to come out of that draft that we passed up for these guys, so it will definitely sting a little bit. If Dalton Smith develops into his very top projection, we'll be getting a third line left wing out of those two picks - whereas Alex Petrovic, Justin Faulk, Brad Ross, Martin Marincin, Curtis Hamilton, and Calvin Pickard all went shortly after him. And with Straka, I know the upside was there, but I really think if you're swinging for a home run with one pick, you have to take a more safe player with the next one - even if the upside isn't there.

I think that draft will go down as one of the stronger drafts after round one to happen in a long time, and, once again, we will be the ones looking back and shaking our heads.

Old
08-01-2012, 07:36 PM
JacketsFanWest

Jared Boll's development was stifled when he went from juniors to the NHL without any AHL time. He had 28 goals in 66 games for a very talented Plymouth team, then never has broken double digits in goals the NHL.

He could have benefited from being a top 6 player in the AHL, getting some PP time and working on his transitioning his offensive skills to pro hockey before getting 5-8 minutes a game on the 4th line mainly hitting everything in sight and being a human punching bag.

If Dalton Smith ends up in Springfield next season, it's likely as a 4th liner since there's so many other forwards. In that case, he probably gets sent back to juniors, but as an overager, is he going to progress?

IMO, Smith was a wasted draft pick, but they have to find some way to salvage him into something more than a future AHL goon.

Maybe Smith goes back to Ottawa, plays on a line with Sean Monahan as his bodyguard and they develop some chemistry. If the Jackets end up with a top 5 pick, Monahan is going to be on their radar.

Old
08-07-2012, 12:12 PM
ndd17
Hate the rags

The Evansville IceMen announced on Monday that the club has agreed to terms with left wing Josh Beaulieu for the 2012-13 season.
How many players are now on the contract in Evansville? Six.
http://eliteprospects.com/team.php?team=4141

Old
08-08-2012, 11:52 PM
Gonzo85

Hey guys and gals! First time poster here, I am a season ticket holder for the Evansville Icemen and wanted to get your thoughts on the affiliation and players at this level. We've been told (unofficially) that we would be getting a goalie, 2 defensemen, and 2 forwards from the affiliation system, and that another goalie was also in the works. Any guesses on the best bets for those positions and who we should expect to see here in the Ville? And I know we have a limited roster announced right now in Evansville, but what are your thoughts on the guys we have signed? Who, if anyone, would you guys like to see get called up and be given a shot at the next level?

Old
08-09-2012, 01:22 AM
CBJWennberg41
Formerly CBJBrassard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo85 View Post
Hey guys and gals! First time poster here, I am a season ticket holder for the Evansville Icemen and wanted to get your thoughts on the affiliation and players at this level. We've been told (unofficially) that we would be getting a goalie, 2 defensemen, and 2 forwards from the affiliation system, and that another goalie was also in the works. Any guesses on the best bets for those positions and who we should expect to see here in the Ville? And I know we have a limited roster announced right now in Evansville, but what are your thoughts on the guys we have signed? Who, if anyone, would you guys like to see get called up and be given a shot at the next level?
No idea about the forwards, but the goalie will probably be Paul Dainton, and one defenseman probably Anton Blomqvist or Theo Ruth or both.

Old
08-09-2012, 01:28 AM
JacketsFanWest

The goalie will probably be Mike Clemente. The forwards most likely to be sent down first would the players signed by Springfield, like Vogelhuber.

I've posted a bunch of analysis of Springfield's lineup and who might end up in Evansville a few posts back.

Old
08-09-2012, 11:12 AM
Xoggz22

Quote:
Most like candidates in my opinion:

Goaltending: Clement(Springfield signing), Dainton (Springfield Signing) or York (CBJ property)

Defensmen: Madaisky, Ruth, Blomqvist (All CBJ property)

Forwards: (tought to determine) Vogelhuber(Springfield signing), Collins, Hansen, Smith, Gabriel (all CBJ property)

The best talent probably comes from the defense and goaltending. The forwards all have size and some skill but not really any "wow" factor. Smith is rough and tumble and would be entertaining but he needs to improve his offensive game. Hansen probably has the highest upside with Gabriel being a close second.

Old
08-09-2012, 12:54 PM
Gonzo85

Thanks for the input! I appreciate it. What do you guys think of the players we have signed like Robinson, Beaulieu, and Gens? Any chance they see action up in the AHL this year?

Old
08-09-2012, 01:10 PM
ndd17
Hate the rags

Quote:
Hey guys and gals! First time poster here, I am a season ticket holder for the Evansville Icemen
Cool. Now we will wait for your comments after matches Ville
Players think may be issued in Evansville, it is Paul Dainton, Theo Ruth and/or Anton Blomqvist,Trent Vogelhuber,Oliver Gabriel.
About rookies Evansville nothing but statistics do not know.

Old
08-09-2012, 02:03 PM
Hockeygirl2748

Quote:
Thanks for the input! I appreciate it. What do you guys think of the players we have signed like Robinson, Beaulieu, and Gens? Any chance they see action up in the AHL this year?
Watched Beaulieu when he was with the Philadelphia Phantoms. Was not overly impressed, but he was a rookie and not given a real opportunity there IMO. He won't put up a ton of points, but is a pretty good 2 way player.

Closed Thread