HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Springfield Falcons/Evansville Icemen Thread III (All Affiliate talk here)

Closed Thread

Old
11-03-2012, 07:52 AM
Roadman
Moving On

vCash: 500
Just watched Brad Larsen's post game video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGqk_LLT6og Cam & Jam were sat down for taking bad penalties. He readily admits it may have cost them a point, but "we've been talking we've been talking we've been talking and eventually we need to do something about it". He notes specifically JAM took 6 min and Cam a penalty on the power play. Joudrey also talks about the penalties and how it has been a much discussed topic in the room with emphasis from the captain. So it would appear this is/has been a particular point and tonight they did something about it. Apparently SPR 29th in the league in PP against.

Really liked what I heard from him. Lot's of plusses even setting down two of the big guns.

Sending a message. Accountabilty, welcome to Springfield.

I post, therefore I am.

Last edited by Roadman: 11-03-2012 at 08:11 AM.
Old
11-03-2012, 11:59 AM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadman View Post
Just watched Brad Larsen's post game video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGqk_LLT6og Cam & Jam were sat down for taking bad penalties. He readily admits it may have cost them a point, but "we've been talking we've been talking we've been talking and eventually we need to do something about it". He notes specifically JAM took 6 min and Cam a penalty on the power play. Joudrey also talks about the penalties and how it has been a much discussed topic in the room with emphasis from the captain. So it would appear this is/has been a particular point and tonight they did something about it. Apparently SPR 29th in the league in PP against.

Really liked what I heard from him. Lot's of plusses even setting down two of the big guns.

Sending a message. Accountabilty, welcome to Springfield.
The benching of key players will always be a touchy subject. Personally, in winnable games (as this was), I don't like this method. It will send a message to the players, however is it worth giving up the possible two points? I'm more of the belief that you skate them harder than everyone else in the next practice, or if the game is already pretty much decided, you take them out.

I used to be an STH for the junior team here, and we sat right behind the bench. One game a few years back, a former coach benched his entire top line because he thought they could be working harder. At the time, the game was 3-0, and they were the only line that hadn't scored. He kicked them completely off the bench, and yelled at them as they walked down the tunnel. The result was that the team played the majority of the game while short three forwards, and wound up losing badly. This coach is now completely out of hockey and working in an oil field.

It's a very fine line, one that can go either way. Personally, I'm a big fan of the "us vs. them" coaching method. If it were me, I would have made it a major point to the entire team - win or lose - that these two players took too many bad penalties, and thus made the entire team skate until they puked. This brings the team together, and keeps everyone accountable for each other because now they don't want to let each other down. Herb Brooks perfected this technique.

Old
11-03-2012, 12:41 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

I am perfectly fine with benching players, regardless of who they are. However, I am not a fan of Larson pointing the blame to JAM and Atkinson and how they cost the team a point.

Old
11-03-2012, 12:42 PM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
The benching of key players will always be a touchy subject. Personally, in winnable games (as this was), I don't like this method. It will send a message to the players, however is it worth giving up the possible two points? I'm more of the belief that you skate them harder than everyone else in the next practice, or if the game is already pretty much decided, you take them out.

I used to be an STH for the junior team here, and we sat right behind the bench. One game a few years back, a former coach benched his entire top line because he thought they could be working harder. At the time, the game was 3-0, and they were the only line that hadn't scored. He kicked them completely off the bench, and yelled at them as they walked down the tunnel. The result was that the team played the majority of the game while short three forwards, and wound up losing badly. This coach is now completely out of hockey and working in an oil field.

It's a very fine line, one that can go either way. Personally, I'm a big fan of the "us vs. them" coaching method. If it were me, I would have made it a major point to the entire team - win or lose - that these two players took too many bad penalties, and thus made the entire team skate until they puked. This brings the team together, and keeps everyone accountable for each other because now they don't want to let each other down. Herb Brooks perfected this technique.
As you said a fine line. I understand entirely the point you are making, how do discipline without breaking spirit?

Penalties have been a problem and we don't know what has been tried or not tried to this point. There may have already been "hard skates". It does appear from Joudrey's comments that it has been a topic in the locker room so it is really hard to know if this action was or wasn't necessary/appropriate/warranted, pick you own term. It might have been the final straw and this may have been the last option available, ice time is the ultimate carrot/stick. Let's hope that it has the desired effect, get's everyone's attention, the PIM go down without taking away from the effort.

Old
11-03-2012, 01:40 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadman View Post
As you said a fine line. I understand entirely the point you are making, how do discipline without breaking spirit?

Penalties have been a problem and we don't know what has been tried or not tried to this point. There may have already been "hard skates". It does appear from Joudrey's comments that it has been a topic in the locker room so it is really hard to know if this action was or wasn't necessary/appropriate/warranted, pick you own term. It might have been the final straw and this may have been the last option available, ice time is the ultimate carrot/stick. Let's hope that it has the desired effect, get's everyone's attention, the PIM go down without taking away from the effort.
The biggest thing is: the team has had some success early on, let's hope this doesn't break them down morally and push them the other way. It will be very interesting to see how they respond.

Old
11-03-2012, 01:57 PM
Hockeygirl2748

Quote:
The biggest thing is: the team has had some success early on, let's hope this doesn't break them down morally and push them the other way. It will be very interesting to see how they respond.
If sitting two players, one of which takes stupid penalties because he chirps a lot (JAM) breaks them or the team, then maybe they are not in the right line of work. Sorry to say, but i'm OK with sitting them. The team needed to stop with the penalties, it had been discussed internally and they both took bad penalties. Time to accept the punishment. As for blaming them for the loss, the penalties did give the Bears momentum at times, even if they did not score.

One issue I do have is the changing of lines. Not from the benching, but overall from game to game. Players need to get chemistry, bouncing players around does not do this.

Sunday's game will be interesting. Against our biggest rival on the road. I will live tweet from Hartford.

Old
11-03-2012, 02:09 PM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
A fine line as you said.

Old
11-03-2012, 03:30 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeygirl2748 View Post
If sitting two players, one of which takes stupid penalties because he chirps a lot (JAM) breaks them or the team, then maybe they are not in the right line of work. Sorry to say, but i'm OK with sitting them. The team needed to stop with the penalties, it had been discussed internally and they both took bad penalties. Time to accept the punishment. As for blaming them for the loss, the penalties did give the Bears momentum at times, even if they did not score.

One issue I do have is the changing of lines. Not from the benching, but overall from game to game. Players need to get chemistry, bouncing players around does not do this.

Sunday's game will be interesting. Against our biggest rival on the road. I will live tweet from Hartford.
If having a team break up because of guys being benched isn't "professional"; how is it professional for guys to only be able to play with two other players?

Championship teams play together and win together ... and have chemistry all around, regardless of which line they play on. While I agree that taking bad penalties hurts the team, sometimes it just isn't the right time to send a message.

Old
11-03-2012, 03:39 PM
slightlystewpid420

Quote:
If having a team break up because of guys being benched isn't "professional"; how is it professional for guys to only be able to play with two other players?

Championship teams play together and win together ... and have chemistry all around, regardless of which line they play on. While I agree that taking bad penalties hurts the team, sometimes it just isn't the right time to send a message.
Better to atttempt to nip it in the butt early in the season rather than later when their closer to the playoff hunt.

Old
11-03-2012, 05:59 PM
Hockeygirl2748

Quote:

Benching 2 players and not keeping lines consistent more than 1 period is two different things. Cam and JAM both earned the benching with penalties at bad times. Line chemistry is on the coach.

Old
11-03-2012, 08:08 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlystewpid420 View Post
Better to atttempt to nip it in the butt early in the season rather than later when their closer to the playoff hunt.
I agree with this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeygirl2748 View Post
Benching 2 players and not keeping lines consistent more than 1 period is two different things. Cam and JAM both earned the benching with penalties at bad times. Line chemistry is on the coach.
... and this.

Gotta break them of this stuff in Springfield before they get to Columbus.

Old
11-03-2012, 10:12 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

How is Moore looking? Last I heard from last season was that he was a bit inconsistent.

Old
11-04-2012, 10:34 AM
Hockeygirl2748

Quote:
Originally Posted by danccchan View Post
How is Moore looking? Last I heard from last season was that he was a bit inconsistent.
I think he is easily the Falcons best defenseman. He elevates his partner. Still needs to work on when to join the offense and when to stay in position, but overall his defense is improving.

Old
11-04-2012, 11:10 AM
RDriesenUD

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
I am perfectly fine with benching players, regardless of who they are. However, I am not a fan of Larson pointing the blame to JAM and Atkinson and how they cost the team a point.
These are 2 of your best players and leaders. The benching had to be done, and done during a game that was close, IMO. If you don't do it then, they won't change. Just making them skate more isn't going to change anything. Every player now knows that you have to do it a certain way or you won't be playing. It doesn't matter who you are or how much the game means.

Old
11-04-2012, 11:14 AM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
It also lets the players know that they won't lose playing time if they aren't doing things the right way. There is only one way, IMO, to get a players attention. Take their playing time away.

Old
11-04-2012, 11:17 AM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
I don't want them to be a part of our organization if they can't handle this. Two players got benched for a period. This isn't a big deal. IMO, the players don't have much of a future in the NHL if they can't respond to this in a positive way.

Old
11-04-2012, 01:32 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
http://www.thefirstrow.eu/watch/1511...cut-whale.html

Link to tonight's game (7PM) at Connecticut.

11-04-2012, 06:03 PM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
It must be a special night for JAM.

Old
11-04-2012, 06:04 PM
ndd17

Springfield's starters: F - JAM, Ryan Johansen, Tomas Kubalik, D - Tim Erixon, Dalton Prout, G - Curtis McElhinney

Old
11-04-2012, 06:11 PM
slightlystewpid420

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndd17 View Post
Springfield's starters: F - JAM, Ryan Johansen, Tomas Kubalik, D - Tim Erixon, Dalton Prout, G - Curtis McElhinney
I really hope Kubalik picks it up and becomes a consistent player. Theres just something i like about the kid. And hes a 4.5 red star player in nhl 13 haha

Old
11-04-2012, 06:13 PM
ndd17

FALCONS SCORE! Tim Erixon nets his first Springfield goal against his former team...He strikes at 3:54...1-0!
This marks the eighth-straight game in which the Falcons have scored first

Old
11-04-2012, 06:14 PM
ndd17

Any link?

Old
11-04-2012, 06:25 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndd17 View Post
Any link?
http://www.thefirstrow.eu/watch/1511...cut-whale.html

3-0 Falcons. 3/4ths of the way through the first.

Old
11-04-2012, 06:29 PM
ndd17

FALCONS SCORE! JAM races in and beats Talbot five hole...both Springfield goals scored by former Whale skaters! 2-0 at 11:53

Nick Drazenovic snaps one in from the right circle at 12:16...3-0!

Old
11-04-2012, 06:33 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Hell yeah go Falcons

Closed Thread