HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Short leash for Lavi?

Old
04-11-2011, 11:05 AM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Short leash for Lavi?

We all know Lavi came in a ruled with an iron fist last season and got the team turned around pretty quickly. My concern is that the young core of this team has already began to tune him out. A coach like Lavi usually only works for 3-4 seasons tops before the team turns on him and this team may be doing so after just 2 seasons. They continued their hot play the beginning of season but have been just as bad, frustrating and inconsistent since the allstar break as they ever were under Stevens. They seems to have little to no discipline and they aren't playing the system well at all. Lavi's drill sergeant type approach has apparently worn off. I think if the Flyers are bumped from the playoffs with a lackluster effort I wouldn't be surprised if they sent Lavi packing. How short of a leash do you think they give him? Will he be given until October/November next season to get it turned around if they are sent packing in the first round this year? I think anything less than a SCF appearance should get him canned.

Last edited by Juicy Couturier*: 04-11-2011 at 11:14 AM.
Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 11:07 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Is he clutch enough?

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 11:08 AM
Jester

He had them practicing shootouts prior to Game #82. What an a**hole.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 11:08 AM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
We all know Lavi came in a ruled with an iron fist last season and got the team turned around pretty quickly. My concern is that the young core of this team has already began to tune him out. A coach like Lavi usually only works for 3-4 seasons tops before the team turns on him and this team may be doing so after just 2 seasons. They continued their hot play the beginning of season but have been just as bad, frustrating and inconsistent since the allstar break as they ever were under Stevens. They seems to have little to no discipline and they aren't playing the system well at all. Lavi's drill sergeant type approach has apparently worn off. I think if the Flyers are bumped from the playoffs with a lackluster effort I wouldn't be surprised if they sent Lavi packing. How short of a leash do you think they give him? Will he be given until October/November next season to get it turned around if they are sent packing in the first round this year?
We'll see. After the turnaround and the contract extension, a lot of lip service was paid to the fact that Lavi was here to stay, and players would have to respond or face getting shipped out.

If these players can't muster the heart to play well and they get bounced due to their inconsistent effort, I think I'd rather see someone get traded than see Lavi go, but in the world of pro sports it's easier to change coaches than teams...so we'll see.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 11:09 AM
McNasty

I had considered this as well, but I really doubt it. It all depends how they play in the playoffs and how they start off next season, but I think it would have to be pretty pathetic in order for him to get canned.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 11:11 AM
Villedelphia*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Needed dem 2 pointz baybee woo woo!

Villedelphia* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 11:13 AM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

IMO anything less than a SCF appearance and he should be gone. This team is better than last year and they are easily the best team in the East. It's up to Lavi to bring them back to the finals.

Old
Mgkibbles

If they can't take how Lavi has treated them this year, than the core of this team shouldn't be playing professional hockey.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
HoverCarle*

Well he did get fired in Carolina even after he won the cup. Lavi leash seems to be 1 or 2 seasons at most

Old
04-11-2011, 11:15 AM
Mgkibbles

Quote:
IMO anything less than a SCF appearance and he should be gone. This team is better than last year and they are easily the best team in the East. It's up to Lavi to bring them back to the finals.
That is one of the most idiotic things I've ever seen posted on this site. Plus, they're not easily the best team in the East, Boston is close, and may be better depending how how Thomas plays.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 11:17 AM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

So let's start discussing who we want in here after this year. I think we should give Berube a shot and bring back Stevens as an assistant.

Old
04-11-2011, 11:18 AM
HoverCarle*

Quote:
So let's start discussing who we want in here after this year. I think we should give Berube a shot and bring back Stevens as an assistant.
Maybe Stevens has learned some things in LA and will be ready for a head coaching job here.

Or maybe Cory CLouston from Ottawa, always liked him

Old
04-11-2011, 11:19 AM
Villedelphia*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgkibbles View Post
If they can't take how Lavi has treated them this year, than the core of this team shouldn't be playing professional hockey.
You give hockey players way to much credit. Just look at Zherdev, I'm sure most of the guys are very similar on this team, just slightly less *****y.

Old
04-11-2011, 11:21 AM
Villedelphia*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoverCarle View Post
Maybe Stevens has learned some things in LA and will be ready for a head coaching job here.

Or maybe Cory CLouston from Ottawa, always liked him
I wouldn't mind having Stevens back. He was really starting to mature when he got the boot here. LA has done him alot of good.

Old
04-11-2011, 11:23 AM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
If these players can't muster the heart to play well and they get bounced due to their inconsistent effort, I think I'd rather see someone get traded than see Lavi go, but in the world of pro sports it's easier to change coaches than teams...so we'll see.
So we should gut a young team 2nd in the conference that just made the SCF just because the coach is insane? I'd rather get rid of Lavi if he's driving them into the ground than ship out the core of the team.

Old
04-11-2011, 11:25 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
How awesome would it have been to fall to fourth place and play Tampa because we lost to the NYI in a shootout?

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 11:25 AM
HoverCarle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villedelphia View Post
I wouldn't mind having Stevens back. He was really starting to mature when he got the boot here. LA has done him alot of good.
We know the guys love him. Who doesnt love Cake?

Old
04-11-2011, 11:26 AM
Terence Peterman

Seriously, **** you guys. Short leash on the guy on saved our ***** last year and is the biggest reason the team's the number two seed in the east, despite playing like total dookie since February? And that gets him a short leash?

You guys are off your ****ing rockers.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 11:28 AM
ShotScore*

The Flyers should be thankful they have a coach as good as Lavi. One of my main problems with athletes of today is that they act like spoiled children.

If they don't get what they want they whine, complain, or ignore their coach until he gets fired.

If these players can't play for Lavi then they need to go.

We have shown remarkable improvement under Laviolette. In a season and a half he took us from bottom of the barrel to making the playoffs as a 7th seed who then went to the Cup finals to Atlantic Division Champions and the #2 seed and one of the favorites.

That's progress.

Last edited by ShotScore*: 04-11-2011 at 06:12 PM.
ShotScore* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 11:31 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

I think the players def started tuning him out the last couple of months. He's pretty demanding and the fact that he kind of compromised with days off etc shows that Lavy was trying to be flexible since in the past not being flexible got him canned.

I think the players have one more "buy in" season with him and then he may have to be let go because the players won't want to deal with his style anymore. I don't condone it..just kind of reality. Can't fire the team as they say and obviously with the core tied up for as long as they are that doesn't help. I personally think Richards this year wasn't totally on board with Lavy. They will have to be "on board" and on the "same page" in the playoffs and Lavy hasn't totally lost them but I see some fissures. Next season I can see some problems coming up. I hate the coaching carousel but it is what it is especially when the coach "loses" his players....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 11:32 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Shotscore...I sort of agree but again if the core like Richards doesn't buy into Lavy anymore...then there is not much choice. That is the problem. Again don't condone it but reality is reality....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 11:34 AM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
Seriously, **** you guys. Short leash on the guy on saved our ***** last year and is the biggest reason the team's the number two seed in the east
Your right, he is the biggest reason we are in 2nd. With someone who knew how to press the right buttons we would be in first.

Old
04-11-2011, 11:36 AM
ShotScore*

Quote:
Your right, he is the biggest reason we are in 2nd. With someone who knew how to press the right buttons we would be in first.
Or with a GM who didn't acquire players who were lazy, chick-chasing dogs that need to be scolded we would have won the Cup.

ShotScore* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 11:42 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
We all know Lavi came in a ruled with an iron fist last season and got the team turned around pretty quickly. My concern is that the young core of this team has already began to tune him out. A coach like Lavi usually only works for 3-4 seasons tops before the team turns on him and this team may be doing so after just 2 seasons. They continued their hot play the beginning of season but have been just as bad, frustrating and inconsistent since the allstar break as they ever were under Stevens. They seems to have little to no discipline and they aren't playing the system well at all. Lavi's drill sergeant type approach has apparently worn off. I think if the Flyers are bumped from the playoffs with a lackluster effort I wouldn't be surprised if they sent Lavi packing. How short of a leash do you think they give him? Will he be given until October/November next season to get it turned around if they are sent packing in the first round this year? I think anything less than a SCF appearance should get him canned.

Come on, are you really serious? This has nothing to do with the coach and everything to do with the players. When are the fans going to actually look at the players and hold them accountable? Absolutely boggles my mind this type of thought process considering how things were under Stevens and Laviolette's coaching was a direct responsibility for the Flyers actually making the playoffs and then making it to the SCF's. This team was d-e-a-d in the water last season before Laviolette came into town.

Bottom line is if the players do not learn to play for the coach it may be a time for a new environment. Imagine what this crew would have acted like if Mike Keenan was here circa 1985? Mutiny.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 11:46 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Lavi skating on the PP? Or putting forth the effort every shift?

It is amazing how quickly people forget that it was Laviolette who turned around the Bruins series with his ability to call the well-timed timeouts and the system he brought to Philly and how well it worked on their run last year.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote