Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > WHL

Sask.Top 1997's

Old
06-08-2011, 03:44 PM
Hockeywatcher

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosoup View Post
Ha ha, i don't think you understood the meaning of that sentence.

Actually i am pretty relaxed, I do enjoy making "holier than thou" people look silly, you guys both bit hard on my bait, and i got to make a point at your expense.

you might want to stop banging your head on the wall it may be doing damage...
The only point you made is that you are an IDIOT. Some of us do appreciate the experiences and opinions of those who have been there before us. Thanks for sharing.
NTL - Not only does he have the Scouting News in his mailbox, but he probably coaches (for profit) one of those Spring/Summer teams that rips off parents just so his kid has someone to play with all summer.

Last edited by Hockeywatcher: 06-08-2011 at 03:50 PM.
Hockeywatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 03:59 PM
nosoup

Last edited by nosoup: 11-16-2011 at 10:51 AM.
nosoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 02:45 PM
IDC

nosoup,
I commend you on allowing your son to play spring/summer hockey. I am sure he felt no pressure from you to join either and that's the way it's supposed to go down. If ,however, the "no pressure" and "he wanted to play all on his own" still involved you asking him 3 times/day throughout the hockey season and then 10 times/day in the last month leading up to try-outs or the lists of all the "Pro's" for playing summer hockey and no "Con's" thing including a broke dad (you know what i mean) then you have done yourself and your son a disservice. I'm not saying this is you at all, these are just observations I have seen the last few years. That and parents who have allowed one kid to use up 85% of the rest of the family's spring/summer time fun so they can spend it at the rink. Of course I said allowed here because in my family, the parents rule, not the kids, but if that's not the case here, sorry for your luck. I still think I know what's better for my kids at the end of the day, hope you do too.

IDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 05:46 PM
nosoup

Old
06-10-2011, 01:57 PM
justahockeyfan

Quote:
Once again you are making many assumptions here with no information about me or my family, keep going though, you merely continue to prove my point about stereotypes and those who perpetuate them...
WHAT POINT? Assumptions/Sterotyping....???? If thats not the pot calling the kettle black!

Take the posts for what you want, believe them or dont, but dont knock people for having and opinion. You dont need to to be a jerk about it!
IDC appears to be a parent who has seen the full gamit of what hockey has offered (or not) him and his family. He is not telling you what you should or should not do, just detailing and sharing how things went down for him. Some of us have, or, may or may not live some of those experiences, but I think his advice gives readers something to think about. (and No I am not his wife....just saved you another cheap shot) What level of hockey does your kid play at? Have you been there, done that? Then why dont you say something good, share an experience (since no one here knows what they are talking about), or simply just tell everyone why they are wrong and you are right.

justahockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 04:45 PM
nosoup

Old
06-10-2011, 05:37 PM
coach kleats

Wow guys. I think everyone needs to chill out a little bit. I think if you went back and looked at all the posts objectively you would all be a little embaressed by some of the things you have said on this thread. Lets not make this like some of the other forums and threads out there where it is just a bunch of insults thrown at each other. You can disagree without being disagreeable!

In saying all of that here is my take on the issue. My involvment of with this ranges from having played summer hockey way back in its infancy to coaching it (in a diff. province) to being involved in winter coaching now and being around parents and player that are involved with it. And no i don't have a kid who was cut or anything like that. All my kids are to young to have to worry about it at this point.

When I played it was for one year and i decided i would rather play ball, golf and go to the lake in the summer. When i coached it i thought it would be a good way to be involved with some pretty high end players (that proved to be true) but again i was more interested in doing summer things in the summer.

My opinion of the whole thing then and now is that there is a lot of other things to do in the summer and to be honest outside of 1 or 2 hockey camps during the summer i wish that kids as a whole would take the summer off.

In saying all that times they are a changing. Hockey is increasingly becoming a year round sport. My real concern is not that kids are playing but the reason they are playing. I am sure they are saying that they want to play but is that because they really want to play or because they see it as a neccesity in order for them to make it to a high level? If it is for the latter reason then that concerns me.

As for some people looking back and having some regret for having spent all that time playing hockey rather than other things during the summer I think that is only natural. I am sure there are a few on the other end of things who wonder 'what if' had they decided to play summer hockey.

Bottom line there is no real right or wrong answer. Not everything is for everyone. As i indicated i am not a big fan of summer hockey but i understand the draw to it. I only hope it is being done for the right reasons and not at the expense of anything (or anyone) else.

coach kleats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 05:50 PM
justahockeyfan

Quote:
The point was (for the slow learners) I baited a couple of guys who were stereotyping parents of AAA players, by making assumptions about them and their life. They immediately became offended and started spouting insults. while it seemed they have no problem doing it to others, when it was done to them they were whining little *****es. Thats the point, "if you cant take it don't dish it", "don't throw rocks if you live in a glass house" pick your cliche.

And I will knock whomever I choose, if they deserve knocking, and express my opinions about your opinions and frankly there's nothing you can do about it.

Why the hate for AAA?

Your kid was cut?
Your kid was never good enough to be invited?
You cant afford it?
Your kid made it once but after the coaches saw how you treated your kid they didn't want you back?

I've seen examples of all these lead people to bash AAA

And if your kid resents you now because you forced him to play thats a shame, but most of the kids on these teams you have to force off the ice not on it.
Who is making assumptions now! Ah ha ha ha! Sterotype....pfft!
Think what you want, but you baited no one and insults were a two way street....
No one was bashing AAA hockey. The majority of my posts refer to the pressures kids and parents are facing now adays playing at that level. The pros and cons of playing spring/summer hockey. Does it help or hinder them? Go read the posts again. My opinions are based on personnal experience, some of my own, and some of friends and family who are at that stage now.
IDC shares his experience and all you want to do is knock him just to prove a point. Hind sight is 20/20 my friend. Shoulda, coulda, woulda.....he is giving readers some food for thought based on experience. He was there, and did that! Take it for what it is, it's not personnal.
If your kid wants to play year round, thats your business. In 10 years from now, I truly hope you can say it was all worth it. No, really, I do!
I'll release this now because I know you are sitting on your computer waiting to respond. Have a nice weekend!

justahockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 11:28 PM
nosoup

Old
10-11-2011, 11:50 PM
PokeCheck101

No Soup:
"Why the hate for AAA?

Your kid was cut?
Your kid was never good enough to be invited?
You cant afford it?
Your kid made it once but after the coaches saw how you treated your kid they didn't want you back?"

Just pasted a few quotes from your previous post. My kid played 4 years spring hockey, I've coached multiple years of spring hockey.... The extra hockey has benefitted my kid however we have chosen not to continue for none of your above reasons. I've coached a number of skilled elite players. I've come across a few parents which I've had to do a double take on their perspective on where their childs "careers" are heading... That's the first problem, seeing it as a "career" instead of simply encouraging them to do their best, learn and have fun. It MUST always be about what the child wants not the parent. No Soup you speak with a great deal of contempt toward anyone who does not seem to share your same perspective on spring hockey. It sounds like an elitest attitude so I hope you're not trying to come off that way. Folks the reality is expect to pay about $5K for 6-8 weeks of spring hockey (start up, fundraising, gas, hotels, meals) as well as taking time off work, etc. How many parents can say that they put $5K in to that same kids RESP every year? Our teams never had AAA on their jackets nor did the coaches. It is the wrong mind set. AAA and "elite" should be reserved for midget, U16, U18 and world junior.

I chuckled when I read the previous comments about the parents plastering themselves with AAA clothing... I've seen that many times too... Head to toe even wearing it through the winter season. I'm not sure if they think it gives special status. I've seen coaches wearing more gear than the kids. My experience some are in it for the wrong reason, often coaching to get their mediocre player on to a team... If you're in it for the right reasons it's good, doesn't have to be for everyone and certainly every player playing pro hockey has NOT played spring hockey.

PokeCheck101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 01:39 PM
NotTooLate

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokeCheck101 View Post
My kid played 4 years spring hockey, I've coached multiple years of spring hockey.... The extra hockey has benefitted my kid however we have chosen not to continue for none of your above reasons. I've coached a number of skilled elite players. I've come across a few parents which I've had to do a double take on their perspective on where their childs "careers" are heading... That's the first problem, seeing it as a "career" instead of simply encouraging them to do their best, learn and have fun. It MUST always be about what the child wants not the parent. No Soup you speak with a great deal of contempt toward anyone who does not seem to share your same perspective on spring hockey. It sounds like an elitest attitude so I hope you're not trying to come off that way. Folks the reality is expect to pay about $5K for 6-8 weeks of spring hockey (start up, fundraising, gas, hotels, meals) as well as taking time off work, etc. How many parents can say that they put $5K in to that same kids RESP every year? Our teams never had AAA on their jackets nor did the coaches. It is the wrong mind set. AAA and "elite" should be reserved for midget, U16, U18 and world junior. .
Well said. AAA spring hockey is nothing more than another season of hockey... not much elite about it anymore.

NotTooLate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 02:40 PM
nosoup

Last edited by nosoup: 11-16-2011 at 10:52 AM.
Old
10-12-2011, 02:59 PM
NotTooLate

Quote:
@Pokecheck

You misinterpret my post. I do not know if you read the whole thread or not, but really I can take or leave spring hockey, my kid however loves it and looks forward to it all year. When i read this thread full of self serving, "pat your self on the back" hockey experts trashing parents of these kids I felt obliged to respond. My contempt was for those fine people who feel it is their right to belittle and stereotype a entire group of parents based on motives i can only speculate about... My perspective on spring hockey, to clarify, is to let you do what you want and i will do what i want and if you *itch about what i'm doing i'll tell you to mind your own damn business!

Take from that what you will, but I point out that we all know next to nothing about each other on a internet forum such as this, and at no point do talk about my kids hockey being a career (feel free to try find any post that i do), or how much my kids have in their resp's and i'm not likely to post a statement of their accounts so you can sleep better at night.

This guy seems to have a bone to pick with you however
Nosoup:
Fair enough. You can have your opinion but you really have to learn to let others have theirs. Some of us "been there done that" people have some valuable advice that might help your kid as much as summer hockey does.

NotTooLate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 03:14 PM
nosoup

Last edited by nosoup: 11-16-2011 at 10:52 AM.
Old
10-21-2011, 06:41 PM
PokeCheck101

[QUOTE=nosoup;37815821]@Pokecheck

You misinterpret my post. I do not know if you read the whole thread or not, but really I can take or leave spring hockey, my kid however loves it and looks forward to it all year. When i read this thread full of self serving, "pat your self on the back" hockey experts trashing parents of these kids I felt obliged to respond. My contempt was for those fine people who feel it is their right to belittle and stereotype a entire group of parents based on motives i can only speculate about... My perspective on spring hockey, to clarify, is to let you do what you want and my family will do what we want and if you *itch about what we are doing i'll tell you to mind your own damn business!

Take from that what you will, but I point out that we all know next to nothing about each other on a internet forum such as this, and at no point did i talk about my kids hockey being a career (feel free to try find any post that i do), or how much my kids have in their resp's and i'm not likely to post a statement of their accounts so you can sleep better at night.

That's better. Thanks for clarifying. I understand your perspective and I will agree, what anyone does is their business. If you like it great. I like it too. As for the "career" comment, that was not directed at you, it is something I mentioned that I've come across more than a few times from parents. My apologies if you thought it was directed at you. My advice is go where the good coaching is folks.... And enjoy the ride!

Old
12-01-2011, 10:55 AM
itsafansgame101

Lets get this thread back to the topic and let the discussions begin.

Who are the top Sk players now that we are a couple of months into the season? Remember they're kids so be nice people.

Last edited by itsafansgame101: 12-06-2011 at 03:52 PM.
itsafansgame101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 10:18 AM
supertacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsafansgame101 View Post
Lets get this thread back to the topic and let the discussions begin.

Who are the top Sk players now that we are a couple of months into the season? Remember they're kids so be nice people.
Here are the players from the north division that I think consistantly play at a high level. I have not seen the south enough to comment.

North East Wolfpack- Lots of depth. Play tough, take penalties and kill them off!
Tristan Elder F Matt Cresswell G - Two best in the north
Zac Paziuk F Nic Amundrun G
Chad Grambo F
Kalem Zary F
Caleb Seaman F
Bryce Fiske D
Matt Long D
Devin Gerwing D

Sask Valley Vipers- Rely on 1 or 2 players. Can they stay healthy?
Terrell Draude F
Logan Schatz F
Evan Fiala D

West Central Wheatkings- Hard working team.Fell apart in P.A. but will rebound back.
Spencer Bast F
Josh Stang F Connor Kidd G
Shane Collins D Justin Close G
Brody Ryberg D

Battlefords Barons- Good talent. Top end guys take shifts off. Can be out coached.
Lane Young F
Kiefer Hintz F
Blake Robertson F
Matt Vidal D
Connor Sych D
Traye Tkatchuk D

Prince Albert Raiders- Only these 4 shine. Poor losers! Miss the horses from last year.
Matthew Campese F
Reed Gunville F
Lochlan Morrison D
Adam Hergott D

Humboldt Broncos- Lack depth, and leadership! Missing Gardiner.
Drew Litwin F
Logan Karokochuk D/F
Connor Odelein D

As you can see, not all are team top scorers, and some of those have been left off.
These are the kids that play at a high level, help their team, game in game out.
Any comments from the south division? Saskatoon league?

Last edited by supertacks: 12-15-2011 at 10:13 AM. Reason: remove '98 player
supertacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 12:45 AM
IDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertacks View Post
Here are the players from the north division that I think consistantly play at a high level. I have not seen the south enough to comment.

North East Wolfpack- Lots of depth. Play tough, take penalties and kill them off!
Chad Grambo F
Kalem Zary F
Caleb Seaman F
Bryce Fiske D
Matt Long D
Devin Gerwing D

Terrell Draude F
Logan Schatz F
Evan Fiala D

West Central Wheatkings- Hard working team.Fell apart in P.A. but will rebound back.
Spencer Bast F
Brody Ryberg D

Battlefords Barons- Good talent. Top end guys take shifts off. Can be out coached.
Lane Young F
Kiefer Hintz F
Blake Robertson F Matthew Flath G
Matt Vidal D
Connor Sych D
Traye Tkatchuk D

Prince Albert Raiders- Only these 4 shine. Poor losers! Miss the horses from last year.
Matthew Campese F
Reed Gunville F
Lochlan Morrison D
Adam Hergott D

Drew Litwin F
Logan Karokochuk D/F
Connor Odelein D

As you can see, not all are team top scorers, and some of those have been left off.
These are the kids that play at a high level, help their team, game in game out.
Pretty good evaluation. I just can't help but think that Hintz from B'ford seems to be fighting nagging injuries. Iron may play what appears to be "lazy" but the kids got talent. Still waiting for Guerin to start playing the kind of hockey he can also.

IDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 11:47 PM
PokeCheck101

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDC View Post
Pretty good evaluation. I just can't help but think that Hintz from B'ford seems to be fighting nagging injuries. Iron may play what appears to be "lazy" but the kids got talent. Still waiting for Guerin to start playing the kind of hockey he can also.
I agree, I got a chance to see Iron in action against SV tonight, at time great with the puck. Play away from the puck though was spotty. NB picked up some early goals and took advantage of a slow start by SV. SV couldn't fully recover, however did notch two in the third but got doubled up 4-2 in the end I believe (didn't stick around till end).

Old
01-24-2012, 04:43 PM
supertacks

Top North Div. Players

In the last month, since my last posting, I have watched teams a few more times.
Three kids that need to be added to my list are....

1-Kennedy Z-Fox- Sask Valley- hard working and a little bit nasty
2-Layne Regnier- North East- small but smart, does not get outworked.

(After watching West Central play two games in P.A. this weekend, no doubt that
Brandon Arnold deserves to be here.)

3-Brandon Arnold- West Central- small,sneaky,chippy, playmaker and goal scorer.

These guys play consistantly. Game in. Game out.

Come on south division, give us an assessment of your players!

supertacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 08:11 AM
hockeylocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertacks View Post

Chad Grambo F
Kalem Zary F
Caleb Seaman F
Bryce Fiske D
Matt Long D
Devin Gerwing D

Terrell Draude F
Logan Schatz F
Evan Fiala D

Spencer Bast F
Brody Ryberg D

Lane Young F
Kiefer Hintz F
Blake Robertson F
Matt Vidal D
Connor Sych D
Traye Tkatchuk D

Matthew Campese F
Reed Gunville F
Lochlan Morrison D
Adam Hergott D

Drew Litwin F
Logan Karokochuk D/F
Connor Odelein D

Any comments from the south division? Saskatoon league?
Now..let's take your list and break them into Zone Camps. These Zone teams are good.
ZONE 5
Forwards
Draude
Schatz
Litwin

Defense
Fiala (not sure if he is Zone 5)
Odelien
Karokochuk

Goal
*believe Ingram is Zone 5

ZONE 7
Forwards
Brandon Arnold
Spencer Bast
Josh Stang
Lane Young
Kiefer Hintz
Blake Robertson

Defense
Shane Collins
Brody Ryberg
Matt Vidal
Connor Sych
Traye Tkatchuk

Goal
Connor Kidd

ZONE 8
Forwards
Colton Iron
Matthew Campese
Reed Gunville
Tristan Elder
Zac Paziuk
Chad Grambo
Kalem Zary
Caleb Seaman

DEFENSE
Bryce Fiske
Matt Long
Devin Gerwing
Lochlan Morrison
Adam Hergott

GOAL
Matt Cresswell
Nic Amundrun

Should be some good battles this weekend.

hockeylocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 04:19 PM
dickiedunnwrotethis

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylocker View Post
Now..let's take your list and break them into Zone Camps. These Zone teams are good.
ZONE 5
Forwards
Draude
Schatz
Litwin

Defense
Fiala (not sure if he is Zone 5)
Odelien
Karokochuk

Goal
*believe Ingram is Zone 5
Fiala and Ingram are both Zone 5. Having Wyatt Sloboshan will help, but after a quick look at the rosters, i don't see Zone 5 competing for anything but the 6th or 7th spot.

dickiedunnwrotethis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 11:05 PM
WesternHockeyScout

good teams for sure ... Zone 1 will be the team to beat though. Stacked and DEEP

WesternHockeyScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 08:23 PM
hockeylocker

With Zone Camps now complete, anyword from anyone who made it?

hockeylocker is offline   Reply With Quote