HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

What will the Oilers do at the draft?

Old
04-12-2011, 10:46 PM
MPStoEberletoHall

vCash: 500
What will the Oilers do at the draft?

Who will they draft #1?

What trades can you see them making?

MPStoEberletoHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 10:49 PM
GCM
Stork

I think they take the Canadian center Ryan Nugent-Hopkins.

Then Colorado takes Larsson/Landeskog.

GCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 11:05 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPStoEberletoHall View Post
Who will they draft #1?

What trades can you see them making?
EDM
1st overall + 17th overall + 31st overall

for

COL
2nd overall + 11th overall

Then...

EDM
11th overall, Ales Hemsky

for

ATL
7th overall, 37th overall

After Colorado grabs one of Larsson/Landeskog:

#2: Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
#7: Dougie Hamilton

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 11:07 PM
bostonphoenix

I don't see any of the above trade happening.

bostonphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 11:10 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddacey View Post
I don't see any of the above trade happening.
The value's there IMO, I just don't think Colorado really cares for 1st overall when they've probably figured we're taking RNH, leaving them with one of Larsson/Landeskog (the two they're probably gunning for).

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 11:54 PM
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

vCash: 157
I think they should draft Larsson and trade a dman in the offseason.

BoldNewLettuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 12:14 AM
BigEyedPhish

Edmonton will give the first overall pick to Ottawa for free.

BigEyedPhish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 12:18 AM
Voodoo Child
Lǎobǎn

I can see them drafting either RNH or Larsson and then shipping Sam Gagner for a late 1st.

Voodoo Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 12:24 AM
Dr Danglefest
Vindication

They take Larsson and FINALLY get that franchise dman.

yeah yeah i know they dont take dmen in the first round, only plante in the past decade or whatever its been. probably why they have a terrible defensive core, farm system looks good, but not great in terms of defensive depth with tuebert and marincin

if they are looking to get stronger in all facets of the game like any cup contender is i think this is what they do rather then continue to pile on forward prospects

Dr Danglefest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 12:54 AM
High Flying Birds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Danglefest View Post

yeah yeah i know they dont take dmen in the first round, only plante in the past decade or whatever its been. probably why they have a terrible defensive core, farm system looks good, but not great in terms of defensive depth with tuebert and marincin

if they are looking to get stronger in all facets of the game like any cup contender is i think this is what they do rather then continue to pile on forward prospects
Well I don't know how much of a Cup contender they'll be down the road with Horcoff and Gagne centering their first 2 lines. RNH projects as a 1st line center.... those aren't easy to come by in todays NHL. I'm sure Larsson will become a very solid player in his own right but if I'm the Oilers I take RNH without hesitating and maybe deal Hemsky or Gagner for a nice NHL dman.

High Flying Birds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 01:12 AM
Gabriel Landeskog

vCash: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
EDM

for

COL

Then...

EDM

for

ATL

Colorado doesn't do this, We take Larsson/Landeskog. If Oilers grab Larsson we snatch up Landeskog and look dman for our 11th pick.

The benefit to having 2 franchise players in Duchene and Erik Johnson is we don't have to make any foolish trades to guarantee us another franchise forward/defender.

Gabriel Landeskog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 01:31 AM
Brewsky
King Of The Ice Mugs

Send a message via ICQ to Brewsky Send a message via AIM to Brewsky Send a message via MSN to Brewsky Send a message via Yahoo to Brewsky Send a message via Skype™ to Brewsky
What the Oilers NEED is Larsson.

But holy crap, Hall-Nugent-Hopkins-Eberle/Paajarvi, on a line would be too freakin' entertaining.

This is my thinking, the Oilers won't be anywhere near the Cup this following season. So do this, draft RNH, and then in the 2012 NHL draft (loaded with d-men) take your pick of Reinhart, Murray, Ebert etc.

Brewsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 02:00 AM
SolidSnakeUS

I'd say they should get Larsson. They are in need of a really talented big d-man. They have a lot upfront when healthy.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 04:48 AM
Seachd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewsky View Post

But holy crap, Hall-Nugent-Hopkins-Eberle/Paajarvi, on a line would be too freakin' entertaining.

This is my thinking, the Oilers won't be anywhere near the Cup this following season. So do this, draft RNH, and then in the 2012 NHL draft (loaded with d-men) take your pick of Reinhart, Murray, Ebert etc.
They don't need Larsson any more than they need a centre. Most Oiler fans would argue they need a centre more.

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 08:36 AM
MPStoEberletoHall

If everything stays how it is...

1st overall: RNH- Oilers finally get their #1 Center to play with Hall and Eberle. They cant pass up on this guy as I think he has the ability to be a 90 point player in the NHL.

18th pick: Oleksiak- The Oilers all of aa sudden get 6'7 feet bigger. Oleksia would look good playing with Marincin.

31st pick: Klefbom- Oilers add to their young talent, by selecting Klefbom.

How do you see the 3 picks going?

MPStoEberletoHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 08:38 AM
Krnage

they will draft Larsson

Krnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 03:18 PM
Dr Danglefest
Vindication

any chance they trade the 1st overall in a deal for Parise?

not looking to start a series of bad parise proposals, simply thinking things logically.

edmonton gets parises RFA rights, have the cap room, the need for a starpower player who can teach the young guns, yet isnt very old himself. if he gets offer-sheeted by someone else, they will have 2 first round draft picks for the next 4 years. if theres any draft to trade the 1st overall i would think its this one with so much confusion at the top of the draft board.

for NJ they are in a situation(settle down NJ fans i know there are ways for you to work him into the cap but nothing thats not restricting or risky) that they could either make their cap situation a lot worse than it is, or risk sending him to arb. and seeing him have a chance at walking the following year.

i would think, even though both fan bases are going to be protectieve of their given asset that this would make sense (not straight up but something close)

Old
04-13-2011, 05:31 PM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Quote:
any chance they trade the 1st overall in a deal for Parise?

not looking to start a series of bad parise proposals, simply thinking things logically.

edmonton gets parises RFA rights, have the cap room, the need for a starpower player who can teach the young guns, yet isnt very old himself. if he gets offer-sheeted by someone else, they will have 2 first round draft picks for the next 4 years. if theres any draft to trade the 1st overall i would think its this one with so much confusion at the top of the draft board.

for NJ they are in a situation(settle down NJ fans i know there are ways for you to work him into the cap but nothing thats not restricting or risky) that they could either make their cap situation a lot worse than it is, or risk sending him to arb. and seeing him have a chance at walking the following year.

i would think, even though both fan bases are going to be protectieve of their given asset that this would make sense (not straight up but something close)
Ryder,Halak and 2nd for Parise

Richiebottles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 07:05 PM
Fourier

Quote:

You can add to this Jeff Petry. He has looked very good in his time in the NHL this year. Where he ends up is anyone's guess but it is not impossible for him to be a very good #3 dman. He may even end up playing with Whitney next year.

The Oilers biggest need is up the middle. IT would be great to add a true first pairing guy, but this is something that might be more likely through other means. IF they don't address the situation in the middle it may all be for not.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 07:43 PM
Dr Danglefest
Vindication

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
You can add to this Jeff Petry. He has looked very good in his time in the NHL this year. Where he ends up is anyone's guess but it is not impossible for him to be a very good #3 dman. He may even end up playing with Whitney next year.

The Oilers biggest need is up the middle. IT would be great to add a true first pairing guy, but this is something that might be more likely through other means. IF they don't address the situation in the middle it may all be for not.
I disagree but i respect where youre coming from, your an oilers fan im sure you know what youre talking about.

i just dont think its that easy to go and get a top pairing defenseman. you can score as many goals as you want but if you cant stop them from being scored on yourself your not gonna last too long. it seems you already have a good offensive attack developeing but nothing on the backend

Old
04-13-2011, 09:03 PM
OilersPride04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
EDM

for

COL

Then...

EDM

for

ATL

I Wish Edmonton did this

OilersPride04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 03:18 AM
TimeForAnOilChange
Can We Fold The Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewsky View Post

Larsson? Really? The same Larsson that played in only 37 games this year and had 1 goal and 9 points? That Larsson? Those stats dont even warrant a 3rd round pick, let alone 1st overall. I honestly cannot figure out for the life of me what all the hype is about with him, even if his role this year was a shutdown dman, the fact that they only play half as many games as the NHL and poor offensive production in his draft year= overhyped...we can pick one of the other big dmen in the 1st round this year instead with the LA pick and shouldnt waste the 1st overall taking A.L. imo.

TimeForAnOilChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 03:40 AM
biturbo19

I think the best possible scenario for Edmonton would be if they can somehow trade down a bit, to where they can still grab Couturier as that big potential top line center...AND pick up an additional asset, be that a pick, prospect, young roster player.

All things considered...i'd wonder about New Jersey and Ottawa as potential trading partners. The Isles are another consideration, if they covet Larsson as much as they probably should.

biturbo19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 04:42 AM
oilwings

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeForAnOilChange View Post
Larsson? Really? The same Larsson that played in only 37 games this year and had 1 goal and 9 points? That Larsson? Those stats dont even warrant a 3rd round pick, let alone 1st overall. I honestly cannot figure out for the life of me what all the hype is about with him, even if his role this year was a shutdown dman, the fact that they only play half as many games as the NHL and poor offensive production in his draft year= overhyped...we can pick one of the other big dmen in the 1st round this year instead with the LA pick and shouldnt waste the 1st overall taking A.L. imo.
Do u even know anything about the SEL? I'm guessing not much. Larsson is going to be a franchise dman similiar to Lidstrom.

oilwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 04:46 AM
Avsfanftw

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeForAnOilChange View Post

Because he's an 18 year old playing in a leauge of men.

Avsfanftw is offline   Reply With Quote