HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

What will the Oilers do at the draft?

Old
04-14-2011, 05:27 AM
The Angry Teatowel
@AngryTeatowel

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilwings View Post
Do u even know anything about hockey? I'm guessing not much. Larsson is going to be a franchise dman similiar to Lidstrom.
Edited for you

The Angry Teatowel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 08:12 AM
Dosing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsfanftw View Post

Because he's an 18 year old playing in a leauge of men.
The age isn't half as relevant as his playstyle

Dosing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 08:28 AM
AwesomePanthers
Go Quacks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeForAnOilChange View Post
Larsson? Really? The same Larsson that played in only 37 games this year and had 1 goal and 9 points? That Larsson? Those stats dont even warrant a 3rd round pick, let alone 1st overall. I honestly cannot figure out for the life of me what all the hype is about with him, even if his role this year was a shutdown dman, the fact that they only play half as many games as the NHL and poor offensive production in his draft year= overhyped...we can pick one of the other big dmen in the 1st round this year instead with the LA pick and shouldnt waste the 1st overall taking A.L. imo.
He plays in a mens league, if he played in the CHL he would rip it apart. If he played in the CHL you would easily have bought the hype.

AwesomePanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 07:07 PM
Oiler Sniper 17

Well... the oilers need a d-man and a centerman. so, i think they should draft RNH because he's the best player there. The draft is as simple as at. Then make a deal like:
2012 1st rnd pick, 19th pick, cogliano maybe foster and a top prospect (not omark) (maybe more if needed) for the 2nd overall pick. If you are a colorado fan please feel free to add to the deal. Then draft larrson.
Hall RNH Eberle
Paararvi Gagner Omark
Jones Horcoff Hemsky
4th line

Whittney Larsson
Smid Gilbert
Peckham Tuebert (exciting to see)

Then we can push for a playoff spot the following year

Oiler Sniper 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 07:14 PM
gotmonte

they will crap the bed when they get to the podium. Just my guess. Then they will be so upset they will return to their table and trade Hall to the Rangers for their 15th and Wolski

gotmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 07:22 PM
Robert Theodorson

Larsson makes the most sense

You always go with the best player available though, RNH

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 07:38 PM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeSpeedBackstrom View Post
Larsson makes the most sense

You always go with the best player available though, RNH
Well, our centre depth is poor going forward as well, so I think both C and D make sense. Horcoff is locked in as our 3C after next year and the only skilled centre we have is Gagner.

Ideally, we would draft RNH, find a bigger 2C either in the draft, trade market, or free agency, and move Gagner to the wing on our 2nd line.

We could then try to move Hemsky for D help. This, or try to sign Hemsky to a fair deal and move Gagner for help.

SDig14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 07:54 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Coming from a life long Oilers fan : I have a very very strong gut feeling that we're going to be drafting RNH, I would say there's a 90% chance we draft Hopkins and 10% we draft Larsson.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 08:01 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
EDM
1st overall + 17th overall + 31st overall

for

COL
2nd overall + 11th overall

Then...

EDM
11th overall, Ales Hemsky

for

ATL
7th overall, 37th overall

After Colorado grabs one of Larsson/Landeskog:

#2: Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
#7: Dougie Hamilton
First off, if the Avs were content with either Larsson or Landeskog, there's a 100% chance one would be available at #2 so they wouldn't trade up. Also, with Edmonton likely to pick RNH, the Avs don't need to trade up to get one of those two.

Also, I don't think Atlanta would do that deal.

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 08:08 PM
tempest2i
Myxomatosis

As an Oiler fan I care who they draft as long as the team doesn't finish last the in league next year.

tempest2i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 08:24 PM
Koto

the biggest reason you take RNH over larsson this year is because next year there are more D in the top 10 and you may not be able to get a center as good drafting around 8th which is where i think we will be

Koto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 08:28 PM
Lottery Oilers*
Nuge is Cobra

Ask Columbus (Nash) or Calgary (Iginla) where Elite wingers get you without a top center.

RNH seems like the perfect fit for Taylor Hall (skating, unreal vision, top notch puck distribution).

We also know that in the last year Steve Tambellini has gone after B.Schenn, Seguin, and Ryan Johansen.

Obvious need at center is obvious (yes they have needs elsewhere too, but not giving Hall a legit center to play with would be massive waste of his talent).

Edmonton drafts RNH

Last edited by Lottery Oilers*: 05-25-2011 at 08:33 PM.
Lottery Oilers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 08:29 PM
Beerfish

RNH, Larsson though a good player is not even the best D prospect in this draft in my opinion. There are some decent D prospects at 19 and 31 probably so I'd take the potential 1st line center that they haven't had since Doug Weight.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 10:43 AM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
The only confusion about who will be 1st overall is on HFBoards. I'm not a big fan of his but a majority of the scouting reports have Nugent-Hopkins #1(I've read one where he was #2). Larsson, and Landeskog have been mostly ranked 2-4)
I don't see the Oilers making any big changes this offseason. They might try to package some picks up to try and get in the top 10 but I doubt it as the cost will be too high and its a crap shoot from #9 -#35.
Maybe add a Zenon Zonopka for 4th line duties.

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 12:00 PM
Teamcanada

Depends....

If the Oilers trade for Bogosian... then they select RNH.

If the Oilers trade for Spezza.... they then select whatever d-man is available @ either 6 or 17.
(Spezza & 6th overall for 1, 17, Cogliano, 31)

I would trade for Spezza IMO and then draft a d-man.

Teamcanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 12:40 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamcanada View Post
Depends....

If the Oilers trade for Bogosian... then they select RNH.

If the Oilers trade for Spezza.... they then select whatever d-man is available @ either 6 or 17.
(Spezza & 6th overall for 1, 17, Cogliano, 31)

I would trade for Spezza IMO and then draft a d-man.
Spezza isn't getting traded. And Bogosian probably isn't going to Edmonton.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 12:46 PM
zeus3007*

The Oilers will pick RNH with the first overall pick. And its kind of a crap shoot as to who will go when from the 10-40 range from what I've heard on Oilers Lunch, so who really knows who will be available. I would be dancing if we managed to draft any two of Schiefle, Zibanejad, Oleksiak, Morrow and Klefbom with the LA pick and the 31st. I know we might get one of those guys, but to ask for both is unlikely.

Old
05-26-2011, 01:20 PM
gabeliscious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo Child View Post
I can see them drafting either RNH or Larsson and then shipping Sam Gagner for a late 1st.
im sure burke wouldnt mind ponying up a late first for gagner

gabeliscious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 01:47 PM
Jamin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Danglefest View Post
I disagree but i respect where youre coming from, your an oilers fan im sure you know what youre talking about.

i just dont think its that easy to go and get a top pairing defenseman. you can score as many goals as you want but if you cant stop them from being scored on yourself your not gonna last too long. it seems you already have a good offensive attack developeing but nothing on the backend
Since the lockout lowe has landed Pronger, Vishnovsky and alot of other dmen (though not stars like the first two). Since Doug Weight left the Oilers landed a year of Sykora as an old man and nylander's wife refusing to come

Jamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 01:48 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo Child View Post
I can see them drafting either RNH or Larsson and then shipping Sam Gagner for a late 1st.
I'm sure trading Gagner isn't as high on the Oilers list as it is on most of their fans. If Gagner is available, it would be for a Bogosian or something like that, not for a pick.

Old
05-26-2011, 01:52 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamin View Post
Since the lockout lowe has landed Pronger, Vishnovsky and alot of other dmen (though not stars like the first two). Since Doug Weight left the Oilers landed a year of Sykora as an old man and nylander's wife refusing to come
Hey now...don't forget Michael Peca, who didn't want to come here, and Adam Oates, who should have retired instead of coming here.

Old
05-26-2011, 02:06 PM
DwightKSchrute

For some reason I have a feeling they will trade the first overall. They cant go wrong with Larsson or RNH but I believe they will go with RNH if they have an early pick and try and pry a decent UFA defense.

DwightKSchrute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 02:42 PM
ponokanocker

Take RNH with the 1st overall.

Trade with Winnipeg for Bogo. Management soured on this kid, and he soured on the team. He needs a new location, and Edmonton could be that team. The 19th pick would likely be included and/or possibly the 31st, along with a roster player. Having only 1 year left on his contract and injury issues will probably detract Winnipeg from accepting Hemsky in the deal, but new ownership may want to see a winner and if Hemsky can be healthy, he would go a long ways to helping this team. Hemsky and the 19th likely wouldn't be enough, so a prospect not on the team would likely have to be included, but Edmonton has quite a few good ones to choose from.

ponokanocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 02:45 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponokanocker View Post
Take RNH with the 1st overall.

Trade with Winnipeg for Bogo. Management soured on this kid, and he soured on the team. He needs a new location, and Edmonton could be that team. The 19th pick would likely be included and/or possibly the 31st, along with a roster player. Having only 1 year left on his contract and injury issues will probably detract Winnipeg from accepting Hemsky in the deal, but new ownership may want to see a winner and if Hemsky can be healthy, he would go a long ways to helping this team. Hemsky and the 19th likely wouldn't be enough, so a prospect not on the team would likely have to be included, but Edmonton has quite a few good ones to choose from.
Don't expect Edmonton to offer up Hemsky + for Bogosian, especially if that + is a draft pick and a prospect. Cogliano, Smid and the 19th I could see, but if Atlantapeg thinks they will get a Hemsky out of Edmonton for Bogosian, they need to look elsewhere.

Old
05-26-2011, 03:02 PM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEyedPhish View Post
Edmonton will give the first overall pick to Ottawa for free.
The Merriam-Websters Dictionary states that "free" is the combined package of David Rundblad, Patrick Wiercioch and a 6th Overall Pick

theIceWookie is offline   Reply With Quote