HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why Weimer?

Closed Thread

Old
07-11-2004, 08:44 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Why Weimer?

Why is everyone so in love with getting this guy?? He's a 4th line player. We have enough grit on the 4th line. If their going to go out and get someone in the free agent market, get someone who can play on the top 2 lines. He brings nothing new to the table unless he's a great faceoff guy.

And on another note, try and get Vladimir Orszagh!

Old
07-11-2004, 10:02 PM
Varada

For me, the push for Wiemer is mostly based on a gut feeling he would excel in Ottawa. It is also based on his skill set: a Big, tough as nails power forward that will drop his gloves to stick up for a team mate. He has decent hands, skates well for his size, and loves to stand in front of the net to create traffic. Wiemer palying space maker between to skill players is what I envisge. Wiemer between Alfie, Havlat, or Hossa nets twenty plus goals, and ends up being the power forward were looking for, for under 2 million. Oh Yeah, it would also signal the end of White's tenure as a Sen.

Old
07-11-2004, 10:32 PM
Sting

Send a message via MSN to Sting
I can't see Weimer has a 20+ goal guy. I mean right now we've already got Neil and Varada as pests/checkers. We've got guys like Fisher and Schaefer who aren't big but check as much as they can.

What I've felt we've always needed is a BIG guy up front. Daze comes to mind but he's unavailable and didn't do enough hitting. We don't really have anyone who can stand in front of the net and not worry about being moved (Chara doesn't count). Bonk was never physical.

Shanahan, or a healthy Deadmarsh/Allison is all we need

Old
07-11-2004, 11:04 PM
Varada

Year Team GP G A Pts
1999-00 CGY 64 11 11 22
2000-01 CGY 65 10 5 15
2001-02 FLA 70 11 20 31

Wiemer has been able to post decent goal totals without playing a full season in the past. More offensive adept line mates would definately boost these stats.

Shanahan is on the decline, and hardly the physical force he was. Plus any potential suitor would most likely overpay. Deadmarsh or Allison would be interesting with incentive laced contracts, but I'd probably pass.

Old
07-11-2004, 11:47 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varada
Year Team GP G A Pts
1999-00 CGY 64 11 11 22
2000-01 CGY 65 10 5 15
2001-02 FLA 70 11 20 31

Wiemer has been able to post decent goal totals without playing a full season in the past. More offensive adept line mates would definately boost these stats.
Or it could show how he lacks offensive ability. You can see Varada doesn't have the offensive ability to keep up with Hossa when they play together. I'm afraid that's what would happen with Wiemer. I don't think he's got the offensive talent to keep up.

Wiemer is not someone we need, IMO.

Old
07-11-2004, 11:56 PM
Tap on the Ankle
Nobody remembers No2

Ideally, we will sign Wiemer and then trade Todd White for Vlad Orzsagh (most Preds fans would say that is a good deal. They love Vlad, but realize a guy like White is what they need. Likewise, a guy like Vlad is what we need). I don't see Wiemer as being one of our top line LWs, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't be given a chance. He would be perfect as a 4th line centre. If the Sens did that, this is what our centre depth chart would look like:

Smolinski
Spezza
Fisher
Wiemer
Vermette...?

I'd say Vermette is better suited as a winger, though. Smokes isn't exactly 1st line centre calibre, but he is a decent playmaker, so with the right wingers he will have another good year in Ottawa.

Old
07-12-2004, 10:44 PM
sensfan

I don't think Weimer would be the answer to our power forward problems like many seem to think Sure, he can fill in for us on the fourth line but he's not that elusive powerforward we're trying to find. He's the type of player who can muck it up a bit and score 10 goals on your fourth line. I'm all for getting Weimer as a fourth line centre but I think people are wrong when they say he can be a top 2 lines powerforward.

Old
07-13-2004, 03:30 AM
Safir*

Weimer isn't a Powerforward, since he doesn't produce as much as the protype PF's like Bertuzzi or Tkachuk (a few seasons back.)

Why are some of you so high on Vladimir Orszagh?

Old
07-13-2004, 07:20 AM
sensfan

Sure, he may be a power forward, just not the scoring line power forwad we're looking for.

Old
07-13-2004, 07:39 AM
operasen

Weimer is a useful 4th line centre (in our talent base) who can play wing if required. He's a gritty guy who plays a solid defensive game. Muckler likes him.

Old
07-13-2004, 10:28 AM
The Mars Volchenkov

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomACE
Weimer isn't a Powerforward, since he doesn't produce as much as the protype PF's like Bertuzzi or Tkachuk (a few seasons back.)

Watch Orszagh play and you'll fall in love with him. Tons of energy and the ability to score 20+ goals.

Old
07-13-2004, 10:30 AM
littleHossa

Why don't we send Smolinski and White their way for the whole vowel line.

Old
07-13-2004, 11:38 AM
Tap on the Ankle
Nobody remembers No2

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleHossa
Why don't we send Smolinski and White their way for the whole vowel line.
Might as well give them de Vries for Hamhuis too

Old
07-13-2004, 11:41 AM
Tap on the Ankle
Nobody remembers No2

Oh yeah, and I'm high on Orszagh for several reasons:

1) As said above, the guy is full of energy
2) Willing to pay the price to get the goals (he was the one who took a header into the post during the Det-Nsh series)
3) He's quick, ie. won't slow down our offense
4) Good hands
5) Won't shy away from physical play
6) Still fairly young (he's around 26-27yo I believe)
7) Has a cool name

Old
07-13-2004, 11:59 AM
SensGod

Send a message via MSN to SensGod
the only problem with Orszagh is that he's a left handed, right wing...just like Bondra...and we all know how well Bondra did in the playoffs last year playing on his off wing.

Damnit! get me a real top line LW for this team!

Old
07-13-2004, 12:03 PM
Kickabrat
WHAT - ME WORRY?

BRENDEN MORROW

Old
07-13-2004, 12:29 PM
Safir*

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher
Oh yeah, and I'm high on Orszagh for several reasons:

1) As said above, the guy is full of energy
2) Willing to pay the price to get the goals (he was the one who took a header into the post during the Det-Nsh series)
3) He's quick, ie. won't slow down our offense
4) Good hands
5) Won't shy away from physical play
6) Still fairly young (he's around 26-27yo I believe)
7) Has a cool name
Oh I see. I don't get to see much Senators hockey here in Germany.

But, I do saw that header...amazing!!!

#7)

Old
07-13-2004, 01:29 PM
SensGod

Send a message via MSN to SensGod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickabrat
BRENDEN MORROW
We've got as good a chance of getting Heatley, Kovalchuk or Nash as we do getting Morrow any time soon.

Old
07-13-2004, 01:40 PM
The Lehner
#LehnerTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensGod
We've got as good a chance of getting Heatley, Kovalchuk or Nash as we do getting Morrow any time soon.
Or Fedorov.

Old
07-13-2004, 03:11 PM
chara

Damphousse

Vinny Damphousse plays both centre and left wing. Experienced playmaker who can still give you 20 goals and elevates his games come playoff time, chipping in with clutch goals. Will easily replace Bonk and then some.

I still like Weimer though. Provides grit, skates well, and will drop his gloves from time to time.

Old
07-13-2004, 03:46 PM
Tap on the Ankle
Nobody remembers No2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chara
Vinny Damphousse plays both centre and left wing. Experienced playmaker who can still give you 20 goals and elevates his games come playoff time, chipping in with clutch goals. Will easily replace Bonk and then some.

I still like Weimer though. Provides grit, skates well, and will drop his gloves from time to time.
Good suggestion. He seemed to have a bit of an off-year this season, but on a team like the Sens, he could bounce back and maybe get another 60 point season.

Old
07-14-2004, 12:30 PM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomACE

He's not a top tier PF. But look how valuable a guy like Holmstrom or Fedotenko can be.
IMO, had Belfour been screened by some 2nd-3rd tier PF... guys like Hossa and Alfie would have been able to pot a few more goals.

Hell, if Spartacat were willing to stand in front... I would have played him in the playoffs.

Old
07-14-2004, 04:07 PM
Varada

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary
He's not a top tier PF. But look how valuable a guy like Holmstrom or Fedotenko can be.
I completely agree. Wiemer is exactly what the Sens need at price they can afford. The Sens don't need another high scoring forward; what they need is player willing to sacfrice his body for the team. Havlat and Alfie were offensive no shows in the playoffs. Wiemer could have created space for them by perpetually parking his cabboose in front of the net, opening up the slot area. This is what the team needs!

Old
07-14-2004, 05:58 PM
Volchenkov

The sens don't have any real 4th line players other than Neil. A player who is willing to play the 4th line and can score 10 goals playing on the 4th line would be a perfect fit. A fourth line of White-Weimer-Neil would be pretty nice.

Old
07-14-2004, 10:28 PM
thinkwild
Veni Vidi Toga

Will Weimer be protected in the waiver draft? Im sure he'll be available for a low draft pick sometime. We almost got him last on waivers apparently. Id rather see if if Stephens or Tapper could develop into the role though. It would be more fun too.

Closed Thread