HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bill Daly denies reports of the Coyotes moving to Winnipeg

Old
04-13-2011, 01:35 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

vCash: 500
Bill Daly denies reports of the Coyotes moving to Winnipeg

Hot off the presses....

http://coyotes.azvibe.com/2011/04/13...g-to-winnipeg/

Last edited by Dolemite: 04-13-2011 at 02:27 PM.
Dolemite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 01:56 PM
MP

Oh Christ, the story is all over the place now. FML.

MP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 02:18 PM
krepitch
Coyote Fan

Glad to hear they are still trying to effectuate. :|

krepitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 03:25 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator

Even if it were true, what is gonna say? yes?

There is no way they would throw a wrench into the playoffs like that.

SniperHF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 03:37 PM
zz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperHF View Post

Exactly.

I don't see what could possibly change at this point for this deal to go through, anyway. The only scenario I can picture is the team winning it all - or at least making it to the cup finals - which could maybe , just maybe, convince a few investors to take a risk and invest on a championship team in a large market.

Other than that, I don't think there's anything else that can be negotiated that hasn't been already considered. IMO, this bird is dead. Defunct. It has ceased to be. It's an ex-parrot.

zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 03:49 PM
MP

Quote:

Maybe the NHL really is still trying to see the deal through, or maybe it's naive to take Daly at his word--and maybe it's no coincidence that those hacks decided to let off this particular hand-grenade on the first day of the postseason--but it's certain that speculation is pointless right now.

Old
04-13-2011, 03:53 PM
CdnBison

Yep

TSN.ca is saying that their sources in Winnipeg aren't saying anything.

Big surprise. I'm betting Chipman has his people (and likely very few) committed to absolute silence on the matter. "Winnipeg sources also say they have no such information of an imminent move and contend the NHL hasn't even remotely suggested such a move is in the works." - well, duh. TNSE has been absolutely silent about any sort of move beyond a "it'd be nice to get a team" generality. They aren't about to try and sour the deal now...

CdnBison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 03:54 PM
Waldo

Quote:

Maybe new rumours are being planted by Wings fans with the purpose of throwing the Coyotes off their game.

Waldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 04:04 PM
BeSeeingYouSeattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo View Post
Maybe new rumours are being planted by Wings fans with the purpose of throwing the Coyotes off their game.

BeSeeingYouSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 04:07 PM
XX
He's a good guy

Anyone see that you can buy playoff tickets in Detroit for 9$? Pretty amazing. Guess we should fold that team.

XX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 04:14 PM
TGOTC
Yer a wizard Oliver

I don't think Daly or the NHL has any reason to not tell us the team is moving. People are going to the games regardless.

TGOTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 04:16 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by theguyonthecouch View Post
I don't think Daly or the NHL has any reason to not tell us the team is moving. People are going to the games regardless.
At such a point it is confirmed they are moving, I would probably sell my seats.

SniperHF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 04:18 PM
moosemeister

Quote:
At such a point it is confirmed they are moving, I would probably sell my seats.
I wouldn't blame you.

Just hold on for the ride guys. We were in the same predicament last year. Most teams have faced tough financial times before they became elite (Devils for instance). We just have to go with the flow and hope for the best. As we all have been doing for the past two years.

moosemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 04:18 PM
XX
He's a good guy

If they announce the Coyotes moving immediately after their elimination, I will no longer be an NHL fan. Don't want to give us a chance to say goodbye? Fine. Lose my money and interest forever.*

*until a team returns to AZ

XX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 04:21 PM
CitizenCoyote

Clearly an NBC ploy to try to help the Wings get through to the second round.

CitizenCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 04:24 PM
moosemeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitizenCoyote View Post
Clearly an NBC ploy to try to help the Wings get through to the second round.
If Atlanta was playing Washington, Pittsburgh or Philadelphia, I'd be wiling to bet they would be doing the same thing. lol

Old
04-13-2011, 04:28 PM
BamBamCam

Compare to this story that says they're as good as gone.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2011/...otes_winnipeg/

BamBamCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 05:12 PM
MP

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
If they announce the Coyotes moving immediately after their elimination, I will no longer be an NHL fan. Don't want to give us a chance to say goodbye? Fine. Lose my money and interest forever.*

*until a team returns to AZ
Ditto. It would be one thing if the NHL were straightforward about relocation, but if they are going to lie to us until the Coyotes' season is over, to hell with them.

Old
04-13-2011, 05:23 PM
moosemeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeLemay View Post

Again with these "multiple sources" lol

Old
04-13-2011, 05:25 PM
ComradeChris

Here's my take on the whole Phoenix hockey situation. Note that I don't want to see Phoenix moved. Was my comment on the site.

By continuing their efforts to effectuate a sale for the franchise of Glendale all they are doing is avoiding casualty, but in this case casualty cannot be avoided. Phoenix was supposed to be a ground-breaking enrichment to the business of hockey, but it has not lived up to what it was supposed to accomplish. The Coyotes were not sold well enough by the NHL to encourage a fan-base in Phoenix and the result of that is not because of the fans, but because the NHL has failed to properly sell the game to Phoenix. Some expert psychology is needed in marketing, and advertising for the NHL department. Also, a CHANGE to the game is needed for the NHL to thrive in Phoenix while they are at the same time competing with the other major sports in Phoenix.

What separates hockey from every other sport? Only in hockey do you get two extra minutes in the penalty box and are fights considered to be a "part of the game". Not so much fights anymore... as they have slowly been on the decline since the implementation of the instigator rule. This rule has led to a disrespectful atmosphere among the players and it shows with the new problems that the game is having (namely head-shots more so than ever before, and more injuries) It can be argued that the parity in the league due to the salary cap is the result of that, but in actuality it is a minor contributor to the leading cause of increased injuries and increased head-shots. The MAJOR contributor to the injuries and head-shots is the disrespect that players have for one another in the game. In the golden days of hockey people respected everyone on the ice because if you took a cheap shot at someone than you better be prepared to fight. Knowing that making a dirty play will lead to a fight makes a person respect the opponent more so than him being able to check a guy from behind into the boards and not worrying about having to fight, oh and if he does, his team might go on the power play because of the instigator rule.

Fighting is an integral part of the marketing campaign for the NHL and to take it out hurts its product, and in this case the consequences will be losing the Phoenix Coyotes. The instigator rule inhibits fighting, creates a disrespectful atmosphere for the players, and it lets players use it as a back-fall for injuring another player. These consequences all hurt the product of the game and until the instigator rule is abolished in the game hockey will continue to struggle in new markets. The greatest thing about hockey is its tradition and by slowly taking away fighting you are taking away the tradition the game brings. The results are: hockey only thriving in the current marketable cities, hockey losing marketing value, and the inability to grow the game in new, nontraditional ice hockey markets. Think about that NHL!

ComradeChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 05:27 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Multiple sources tell Sportsnet that a deal to sell the franchise to Matthew Hulsizer is close to being scuttled and the National Hockey League could be in a position to announce the franchise's move once the Coyotes are eliminated from the playoffs.
This sentence made my eyes roll back in my head.

A) Sources didn't want to be named, and Sportsnet thought they were reliable enough to print their anonymous thoughts.

B) The deal is "close to being scuttled," as though that means ****ing anything.

C) The league "could be in a positiion to announce the franchise's move once the Coyotes are eliminated from the Playoffs." Well no ****.

Nothing to see here.

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 10:43 PM
Oilerdiehard

Bob MacKenzie from TSN weighs in on this with a new article tonight:

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/bob_mckenzie/?id=362122

Quote:
Where will the Phoenix Coyotes be playing next season?

Well, since you asked, I will say it's more likely to be Winnipeg than Phoenix. That's my opinion.

I say probably, and qualify it as my "opinion," because all the factual information I can find says to me very clearly that no final or irrevocable decision on the future home of the Coyotes has yet been made by any of the three vested parties - the NHL, the City of Glendale and would-be (under the right circumstances) owner Matthew Hulsizer.

Quote:
So whether it's days or weeks, we should get an answer to our question soon enough.

Now, here's another question: Is there a chance the Coyotes stay put in Phoenix for next season and beyond?

My opinion on that is a qualified yes, it's not entirely out of the question, it could still happen. I think it's probably a longshot at this point and perhaps getting to be a longer shot with each passing day that the NHL, City of Glendale and Hulsizer don't announce they have a deal.

But we must also allow for the possibility of a rabbit to be pulled out of the hat, that as long as the Hulsizer deal hasn't been declared dead it could still be resurrected in some form to keep the Coyotes in the desert.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 02:15 PM
Gwyddbwyll

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeLemay View Post

Welcome new poster to the Coyotes board with absolutely no new facts from the Canadian media which has a tiny bias in the matter.

Gwyddbwyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 03:17 PM
Scottrocks58*
Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP View Post
Ditto. It would be one thing if the NHL were straightforward about relocation, but if they are going to lie to us until the Coyotes' season is over, to hell with them.
Same here. After all this crap I can easily use the money spent for Coyotes tickets on Cardinals tix. A move out of Phoenix would make the league just that much more of an unimportant niche sport, such as arena football.

Scottrocks58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 07:22 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComradeChris View Post
Here's my take on the whole Phoenix hockey situation. Note that I don't want to see Phoenix moved. Was my comment on the site.

By continuing their efforts to effectuate a sale for the franchise of Glendale all they are doing is avoiding casualty, but in this case casualty cannot be avoided. Phoenix was supposed to be a ground-breaking enrichment to the business of hockey, but it has not lived up to what it was supposed to accomplish. The Coyotes were not sold well enough by the NHL to encourage a fan-base in Phoenix and the result of that is not because of the fans, but because the NHL has failed to properly sell the game to Phoenix.
No, it's because the team was mismanaged (pre Maloney) top to bottom and run into the ground.

Dolemite is offline   Reply With Quote