HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Sully?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-11-2011, 01:00 PM
  #1
FlexinMyPeks
Impekkable
 
FlexinMyPeks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Franklin,TN
Country: United States
Posts: 282
vCash: 500
Sully?

Do you guys think that Sully will have any impact on the series? He said he felt good after last Friday's game. 10 minutes and no shots isn't exactly promising, but just wondering if you guys think we will get anything out of him this series.

FlexinMyPeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 01:25 PM
  #2
Stranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 5,431
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlexinMyPeks View Post
Do you guys think that Sully will have any impact on the series? He said he felt good after last Friday's game. 10 minutes and no shots isn't exactly promising, but just wondering if you guys think we will get anything out of him this series.
Sully playing would have a negative impact on this team, especially considering the physical play of the Ducks.

Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 01:38 PM
  #3
PredsV82
Snot Doc
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Kentucky
Country: Scotland
Posts: 11,311
vCash: 50
I just don't know whether sully would be a positive or a negative. Experience is useful in the playoffs. I'm not thrilled about bam bam and hals getting any significant minutes but at the same time sully and dumont are definitely only shadows of their former selves. Still, if they can go I expect trotz to play them both, at least in game one to see how they do.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 01:42 PM
  #4
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD
 
BigFatCat999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Campbell, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,704
vCash: 500
I don't know. Would short bursts of Dumont and Sully be better for the both of them. Limiting their roles to eat some minutes?

We are already expecting Weber and Suter to eat 30 Minutes of game time a game. What about the forward lines?

We always expect the team to roll 4 lines as usual but would it be a big loss if they rolled two offensive lines and a strong defensive line?

I think I would like to see limited Sully and Dumont.

BigFatCat999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 02:09 PM
  #5
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi
 
CantbeatzPekka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: gamehendge
Country: Somalia
Posts: 3,967
vCash: 500
tough call. but id rather not see him the first few games unless it is very limited

CantbeatzPekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 02:15 PM
  #6
PredsV82
Snot Doc
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Kentucky
Country: Scotland
Posts: 11,311
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
I don't know. Would short bursts of Dumont and Sully be better for the both of them. Limiting their roles to eat some minutes?

We are already expecting Weber and Suter to eat 30 Minutes of game time a game. What about the forward lines?

We always expect the team to roll 4 lines as usual but would it be a big loss if they rolled two offensive lines and a strong defensive line?

I think I would like to see limited Sully and Dumont.
thats what Im thinking. Whatever our 4th line is will see limited minutes, regardless. I think Sully and Dumont are more likely to crap in a goal in those limited minutes than halischuk. Also for everyone saying Sully is timid I agree he has been but I betcha he goes balls to the wall in the playoffs... one, because its what veterans do, and two, if he has any hope of a contract for next year he has to show somebody something, and he may only have a few games to do it.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 03:22 PM
  #7
predfan98
Registered User
 
predfan98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,433
vCash: 500
i think you guys are wrong about limiting the 4th line......going in and knowing they won't play much because they aren't physically capable. I think that is a recipe for disaster for the other forwards. Big pk or pp minutes and everyone is gassed. We might as well just say we have enough to play for 40 minutes, but we'll be so gassed that we'll still play our top lines in the last 20 and they will make mistakes because they are so tired.
just my opinion.
the ducks are too physical and the intensity will be too much. you need to have the option of tossing 4 lines over the boards constantly.
do i know the 4th line will be limited.... yes.... but don't go in there with one hand tied behind your back knowing you can't play those guys if needed.
4 lines, 2 more offensive minded, 1 defensive, and 1 energy.

besides, one of our more offensive lines.....leggy....will be paired as a shutdown role against the getlaf line, don't you think...


Last edited by predfan98: 04-11-2011 at 03:23 PM. Reason: etc
predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 08:47 PM
  #8
roseyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,057
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan98 View Post
i think you guys are wrong about limiting the 4th line......going in and knowing they won't play much because they aren't physically capable. I think that is a recipe for disaster for the other forwards. Big pk or pp minutes and everyone is gassed. We might as well just say we have enough to play for 40 minutes, but we'll be so gassed that we'll still play our top lines in the last 20 and they will make mistakes because they are so tired.
just my opinion.
the ducks are too physical and the intensity will be too much. you need to have the option of tossing 4 lines over the boards constantly.
do i know the 4th line will be limited.... yes.... but don't go in there with one hand tied behind your back knowing you can't play those guys if needed.
4 lines, 2 more offensive minded, 1 defensive, and 1 energy.

besides, one of our more offensive lines.....leggy....will be paired as a shutdown role against the getlaf line, don't you think...
I agree with you. The 4th line will decide this series. I feel the first two lines will be focus but how the 4th line prevails will determine the series

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 09:02 AM
  #9
deanwormer
Registered User
 
deanwormer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 891
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseyc View Post
I agree with you. The 4th line will decide this series. I feel the first two lines will be focus but how the 4th line prevails will determine the series
If you're right, we're in deep doo-doo unless Trotz changes his approach. We have talent that could skate and be effective, but if we're gonna' spot the line 3-4 shifts a period and have a PK specialist and a beat-up Vet and our resident power forward in the doghouse on it it's not gonna' do much.

Bam-bam centering Willy and Hals, Sully should sit. Give them some ice time. Or, if you wanna' play Sully you bust up the "energy" line. Play Sully with Smitty and then you can mix-and-match however you want from the other 5 guys.

If that doesn't work in game 1 change it up for game 2. We got options, but we need to let them play. Harder out there without the control of the line change, but still - you put them out with either of our top 2 pairs and we'll be ok - I sure as heck don't wanna' see Wilson/Sully/Bam-bam out there with Franny/SOB, tho.

and I want Orly and the old codgers, er, wily vets, for game 3, if we're being offensively challenged. We control the matchups - give them 6 shifts a period and see what happens.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 09:22 AM
  #10
predfan98
Registered User
 
predfan98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,433
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwormer View Post
If you're right, we're in deep doo-doo unless Trotz changes his approach. We have talent that could skate and be effective, but if we're gonna' spot the line 3-4 shifts a period and have a PK specialist and a beat-up Vet and our resident power forward in the doghouse on it it's not gonna' do much.

Bam-bam centering Willy and Hals, Sully should sit. Give them some ice time. Or, if you wanna' play Sully you bust up the "energy" line. Play Sully with Smitty and then you can mix-and-match however you want from the other 5 guys.

If that doesn't work in game 1 change it up for game 2. We got options, but we need to let them play. Harder out there without the control of the line change, but still - you put them out with either of our top 2 pairs and we'll be ok - I sure as heck don't wanna' see Wilson/Sully/Bam-bam out there with Franny/SOB, tho.

and I want Orly and the old codgers, er, wily vets, for game 3, if we're being offensively challenged. We control the matchups - give them 6 shifts a period and see what happens.
you want oreilly, who hasn't played a game?

i think rosey and I agree that bambam and willy and hals should play. that's kind of our point. put an "effective " 4th line that might have a chance out there, rather than a line with sully that has to be protected.

put in sully to bust up an energy line..... don't agree.

i don't think rosey is saying the 4th line will determine everything..... he was responding to my comment that our 4th line needs to be effective, we need to have that option, cause we can't play 3 lines only and have any gas left.

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 10:38 AM
  #11
Preds Partisan
Nothing
 
Preds Partisan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 682
vCash: 500
Consider this:

Sullivan with 682 career points and 35 playoff GP and Dumont with 523 career points and 48 playoff GP sitting on the bench. Did you ever imagine the day that the healthy scratches for the Preds would be guys with these types of numbers? Teams would kill to have veterans like that available to them in the playoffs, yet their production has fallen off the cliff so much that they are being beaten out by a couple of rookies.

That's a ton of experience enjoying pressbox popcorn. Trotz loves to play the guys he "trusts", so the question is, how much does he trust either of those two guys over younger, less tested and unproven players?

Preds Partisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 10:55 AM
  #12
PredsV82
Snot Doc
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Kentucky
Country: Scotland
Posts: 11,311
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds Partisan View Post
Consider this:

Sullivan with 682 career points and 35 playoff GP and Dumont with 523 career points and 48 playoff GP sitting on the bench. Did you ever imagine the day that the healthy scratches for the Preds would be guys with these types of numbers? Teams would kill to have veterans like that available to them in the playoffs, yet their production has fallen off the cliff so much that they are being beaten out by a couple of rookies.

That's a ton of experience enjoying pressbox popcorn. Trotz loves to play the guys he "trusts", so the question is, how much does he trust either of those two guys over younger, less tested and unproven players?
things trotz is probably weighing:

on the road, he cant control the matchups, so he has to ice the guyts best suited to handle whoever the Ducks throw out there. On this issue Hals and geoffrion are probably more physically able to stand up to the Ducks but are also inexperienced and more likely to make a mistake in positioning or some other "rookie" mistake.

at home he is able to control who the 4th line matches up against. If there is a line he thinks sully and dumont can exploit then they probably play at home.

My gut feeling tells me Trotz will play Sully and Dumont, but he might also put the kids out for Game 1 and leave them in as long as we win.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 11:10 AM
  #13
predfan98
Registered User
 
predfan98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,433
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
things trotz is probably weighing:

on the road, he cant control the matchups, so he has to ice the guyts best suited to handle whoever the Ducks throw out there. On this issue Hals and geoffrion are probably more physically able to stand up to the Ducks but are also inexperienced and more likely to make a mistake in positioning or some other "rookie" mistake.

at home he is able to control who the 4th line matches up against. If there is a line he thinks sully and dumont can exploit then they probably play at home.

My gut feeling tells me Trotz will play Sully and Dumont, but he might also put the kids out for Game 1 and leave them in as long as we win.
i agree with most of this. sounds reasonable, so we're probably both wrong.

to me there is a big difference in dumont and sully right now.
dumont is in game shape.
sully is not.

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 11:34 AM
  #14
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi
 
CantbeatzPekka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: gamehendge
Country: Somalia
Posts: 3,967
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds Partisan View Post
Consider this:

Sullivan with 682 career points and 35 playoff GP and Dumont with 523 career points and 48 playoff GP sitting on the bench. Did you ever imagine the day that the healthy scratches for the Preds would be guys with these types of numbers? Teams would kill to have veterans like that available to them in the playoffs, yet their production has fallen off the cliff so much that they are being beaten out by a couple of rookies.

That's a ton of experience enjoying pressbox popcorn. Trotz loves to play the guys he "trusts", so the question is, how much does he trust either of those two guys over younger, less tested and unproven players?
We used to complain about Trotz giving too much leniency towards vets and i think its great that he decides to sit them when it matters (granted they both sit). Bam Bam and Hals play different styles then our sitting vets and are exactly what we need on our bottom lines. Im ready for the youth to take over, they've meshed pretty well in our system.

CantbeatzPekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 01:39 PM
  #15
Viqsi
"They're back."
 
Viqsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Scary Internet
Country: United States
Posts: 20,070
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goc Ya View Post
We used to complain about Trotz giving too much leniency towards vets and i think its great that he decides to sit them when it matters (granted they both sit). Bam Bam and Hals play different styles then our sitting vets and are exactly what we need on our bottom lines. Im ready for the youth to take over, they've meshed pretty well in our system.
I'd rather he make better considered decisions about when vets should play rather than petulantly sit them in important games.

Fortunately, I trust him to ultimately do exactly that.

__________________
Remember - when you're a hockey fan, it's not "reckless driving", it's "good forechecking".
"Viqsi, you are our sweet humanist..." --mt-svk on the CBJ boards

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 12:37 AM
  #16
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain
 
kypredsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bowling Green, KY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,450
vCash: 500
I think we go with the current flow. Keep sully and jp a healthy scratch.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 10:57 AM
  #17
Predator119
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 217
vCash: 500
I don't know if you can sit JP in a playoff game. Like it or not he is money in the playoffs. He maybe a little bit of a liability, but if you have him out there on the 4th line with Bam Bam and Hals, the chance that he finds that spark is there. I would sit Wilson in favor of JP at least in game 1.

Predator119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 11:32 AM
  #18
dulzhok
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 3,485
vCash: 500
I agree. JP has been our best offensive playoff performer. I think you have to give the benefit of the doubt to him, at least to start.

For us to win this, we have to get someone(s) with a hot hand, and he's one of the few that has that capability.

Sully is another, but his health is a concern. It's up to the staff to determine if he can be effective. Also, one line of thought is this could very well be Sully's last hooray in the NHL-- he could be very motivated and throw caution to the wind. It's up to the staff to gauge and predict.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 12:10 PM
  #19
Matsi
got paws?
 
Matsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chiricahua Mountains
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 1,559
vCash: 500
Hello there, even though I'm a Sharks fan, first and foremost, Nashville is one of my favorite teams in the league. I'm happy for you guys that the younger Kost worked out so well! Just don't make the mistake of letting him walk!

Can anyone tell me who Bam Bam is? My assumption would be Blake Geoffrion, since his dad was called Boom Boom. So is Geoffrion Jr. now Bam Bam?

Matsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 12:24 PM
  #20
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi
 
CantbeatzPekka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: gamehendge
Country: Somalia
Posts: 3,967
vCash: 500
past < present

CantbeatzPekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 12:26 PM
  #21
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi
 
CantbeatzPekka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: gamehendge
Country: Somalia
Posts: 3,967
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheechoo14whitney View Post
Hello there, even though I'm a Sharks fan, first and foremost, Nashville is one of my favorite teams in the league. I'm happy for you guys that the younger Kost worked out so well! Just don't make the mistake of letting him walk!

Can anyone tell me who Bam Bam is? My assumption would be Blake Geoffrion, since his dad was called Boom Boom. So is Geoffrion Jr. now Bam Bam?
Yes, Bam Bam is Geofferion. Many of us call him that over here

CantbeatzPekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 01:21 PM
  #22
lstcyr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 1,959
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheechoo14whitney View Post
Hello there, even though I'm a Sharks fan, first and foremost, Nashville is one of my favorite teams in the league. I'm happy for you guys that the younger Kost worked out so well! Just don't make the mistake of letting him walk!

Can anyone tell me who Bam Bam is? My assumption would be Blake Geoffrion, since his dad was called Boom Boom. So is Geoffrion Jr. now Bam Bam?
Actually, it was his grandfather that was called Boom Boom.

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 11:23 AM
  #23
FlexinMyPeks
Impekkable
 
FlexinMyPeks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Franklin,TN
Country: United States
Posts: 282
vCash: 500
Well, I guess the answer to this question is yes......If I could have picked anyone to get a goal last night it would have been Sully.

FlexinMyPeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 11:58 AM
  #24
Dave is a killer
Roll Wide Roll
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Country: Italy
Posts: 22,755
vCash: 500
mmmmm ... humble pie

Dave is a killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 01:30 PM
  #25
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi
 
CantbeatzPekka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: gamehendge
Country: Somalia
Posts: 3,967
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
mmmmm ... humble pie
tastes pretty good

CantbeatzPekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:36 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.