HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

First impressions are always the most accurate

Closed Thread

Old
07-09-2004, 11:45 PM
Slick Nick

vCash: 500
db, look, everybody, myself included, cheerd about Locke's perfomence today but there's no way Locke is even close to the NHL, nor is Chipchura. The most NHL ready player of all the prospects at the camp is Kostsitsyn. This guy is big, skates faster than avrage even when giving a poor effort, has the best shot of them all, makes awsome moves..What do you want more?

Yeah Locke was great, against very avrage Ds and poor goaltenders. I mean, this is devloppement camp, no hitting, no obstruction..which are the biggest challanges to Locke. We all know he's good against Côté, Archer or Dulac, but wait till he tries to get around Markov or Souray... He dosen't have half of the tools Kostitsyn has.

Old
07-09-2004, 11:47 PM
HABitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by espion
db23 (and ONLY DB23),

what team in your opinion has the best group of NHL prospects at the moment?

espion et thegreatone, vous faites un trop grand honneur à db23 à vouloir débatre avec lui.
En le lisant, on voit bien qu'y a pas de substance dans ses textes. Il lance n'importe quoi en l'air sans fondements. Il s'amuse en nous provoquant, ça lui donne une certaine importance.

Old
07-09-2004, 11:50 PM
CH Wizard

Send a message via MSN to CH Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABitude
espion et thegreatone, vous faites un trop grand honneur à db23 à vouloir débatre avec lui.
En le lisant, on voit bien qu'y a pas de substance dans ses textes. Il lance n'importe quoi en l'air sans fondements. Il s'amuse en nous provoquant, ça lui donne une certaine importance.
Exacte jme demande pourquoi je le quote je perds mon temps il sait juste provoquer les gens sur le boards du canadiens.

T'as raison Habitude , ce thread et les paroles de db23 c'est du perte de temps totale !

Old
07-09-2004, 11:52 PM
HABitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatone
Exacte jme demande pourquoi je le quote je perds mon temps il sait juste provoquer les gens sur le boards du canadiens.

T'as raison Habitude , ce thread et les paroles de db23 c'est du perte de temps totale !
Exact, faut pas faire le poisson qui mord.

Old
07-09-2004, 11:52 PM
db23

Quote:
db23 (and ONLY DB23),

what team in your opinion has the best group of NHL prospects at the moment?

Probably Chicago. I don't pay much attention to other team's prospects. I don't think Montreal's are that bad. I think that Duncan Milroy, Olivier Michaud and Konstantin Korneev are underrated. Tomas Plekanec as well. I just don't see them getting much if anything from Kostitsyn or Perezhogin. Or a bunch of others that they drafted in the last couple of years.

Old
07-09-2004, 11:55 PM
CH Wizard

Send a message via MSN to CH Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABitude
Exact, faut pas faire le poisson qui mord.
belle expressin quebecoise !! Au moins c'est culturel ca ! En tous cas c'est meilleur que lire les textes du statisticien !

Old
07-10-2004, 12:01 AM
not quite yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by db23
Probably Chicago. I don't pay much attention to other team's prospects. I don't think Montreal's are that bad. I think that Duncan Milroy, Olivier Michaud and Konstantin Korneev are underrated. Tomas Plekanec as well. I just don't see them getting much if anything from Kostitsyn or Perezhogin. Or a bunch of others that they drafted in the last couple of years.
Great. Now go cheer for Chicago. Leave us. Please.

Old
07-10-2004, 12:20 AM
db23

Quote:
Great. Now go cheer for Chicago. Leave us. Please.

I responded to your question in good faith. I won't make that mistake again.

If you have a problem with my posts, don't go out of your way to be a jerk about it, ignore them. I certainly won't bother addressing any of your posts in the future.

Old
07-10-2004, 12:26 AM
not quite yoda

Quote:
I responded to your question in good faith. I won't make that mistake again.

If you have a problem with my posts, don't go out of your way to be a jerk about it, ignore them. I certainly won't bother addressing any of your posts in the future.
Just quit the Hab bashing bro. I am starting to think that you may be a troll. I don`t know from what team... just an anti-hab troll.

Old
07-10-2004, 12:29 AM
Sir Habalot

Ever hear of Roger Belisle? He was drafted 2nd overall by Sam Pollock in 1968. How about Robin Sadler? He was drafted by Pollock 9th overall in 1975. Ray Martyniuk? 5th overall in 1970.

Montreal management will make some bad draft choices in the coming years, and also some bad trades. What will determine Gainey's legacy is if he can put the missing pieces in place, once the Habs become contenders.

Old
07-10-2004, 01:01 AM
growne

Wow guys, give db23 a break. Sure he quotes stats often, but now you all blindly repeat the same replies each and every time he posts. I'm sure if I used stats to praise a player we have I would only get positive responses.

I don't like Ribeiro, and what's the most common reply to people who express that same opinion? "He was our leading pointgetter with 65 points last year." Hypocritical. db23 is as much a fan as the rest of you, and I value his opinion just as much. Hey, I'm Kostitsyn's biggest fan, but I'm not gonna start negatively replying to his each and every thread just because he doesn't see Andrei the same way I do. Stats aren't the be all and end all of hockey, but they are a factor. If the kid's biggest asset is his offensive skills, his offensive production is very important. If goals or points really meant nothing, how would any hockey games even be decided?

Edit - I apologize to db23 if he doesn't want me speaking against other posters, but it really irritates me to see the hate he gets for spending his time to voice opinions about his hockey team which might not fall in line with those of the general forum population.

Last edited by growne: 07-10-2004 at 01:05 AM.
Old
07-10-2004, 01:04 AM
SuperUnknown

Quote:
When I used stats it wasn't good enough for anyone, so now that a half a dozen posters have seen the kids in person, the initial impressions confirm my opinion. Now you will say wait until he is in shape, or wait until he adjusts to the culture, wait until he has a few seasons in North America, wait......

The great players jump out at you. Mario Lemieux or Guy Lafleur could step off the golf course in August with a beer in one hand and a cigarette in the other and still dominate any practice or exhibition game. That's just the way it is.
The questions are...

1- Have you seen them?
2- Is a prospect camp where there were no game situation good enough for evaluting those players?
3- Can you really evaluate all those players that are in different stage of development based on some drills?
4- Why are many good pre-season scorers held pointless in the regular season (or sent to the minors)? Wouldn't "first impression" theory make them the best players since they look good early on?

Old
07-10-2004, 01:24 AM
EaGLE1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Growne
Wow guys, give db23 a break. Sure he quotes stats often, but now you all blindly repeat the same replies each and every time he posts. I'm sure if I used stats to praise a player we have I would only get positive responses.

I don't like Ribeiro, and what's the most common reply to people who express that same opinion? "He was our leading pointgetter with 65 points last year." Hypocritical. db23 is as much a fan as the rest of you, and I value his opinion just as much. Hey, I'm Kostitsyn's biggest fan, but I'm not gonna start negatively replying to his each and every thread just because he doesn't see Andrei the same way I do. Stats aren't the be all and end all of hockey, but they are a factor. If the kid's biggest asset is his offensive skills, his offensive production is very important. If goals or points really meant nothing, how would any hockey games even be decided?

Edit - I apologize to db23 if he doesn't want me speaking against other posters, but it really irritates me to see the hate he gets for spending his time to voice opinions about his hockey team which might not fall in line with those of the general forum population.
It's stupid to say that Kostsitsyn will be a bust. Maybe after seeing him for 1 year under a microscope you may say it, but not before that. Damn, we seen Marcel Hossa for years and we don't even know if we truely can score some goals at the nhl level and be effective player. Time will tell.

Time will tell.

db23 is so drastic. HE WILL BE A BUST. HE CANT CRACK RSL. HE IS WORST THAN....
HE.....BLA BLA BLA

Actually, even professionnal scouts don't know for sure. All they seems to know is that he have a killer shot, good moves, descent size, great offensive abilities, struggling to play defence...Seems to be the recipe for a good top 6 forward. Maybe even a star. Time will tell.

Andre Savard is saying that he's more advanced than Perezhogin at same age, who is a steal at 25th pick. You are saying to us that you know more about hockey than excellent talent analyst Andre Savard.

Éric Choinard was good too, but he's a bust.

Time will tell.

db23, you are not a ****ing medium. You can't predict future. What we can see NOW is that Andrei is a very very good prospect at this time.

He was good yesturday at the rookie development camp even if he flied from Russia, did'nt play for 2 months, was overweight, had brand new skates, talking only russian, new environnement, new continent, new culture, new players.....It was only a couple of stupid drills and he did well...

Damn, if that is not enough for him, i can't say much more.

What is your background db? You are a hardcore hockey fan? Habs fan? Scout?
I bet you are nothing more that a clueless troll. You just can't predict the future.
You don't have the rights to always tell us how Andrei will gonna be a bust. In fact you don't have a clue.

Last edited by EaGLE1: 07-10-2004 at 01:30 AM.
Old
07-10-2004, 01:47 AM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:

I second this. Nearly every time db23 posts, he gets dogpiled by people who then have the nerve to call him a troll. People should just leave the guy alone if they don't want to read his opinion.

People criticize db23 for believing that AK will be a bust, yet no one is ever criticized for believing that he will be like Alex Kovalev but with more speed, or like Pavel Bure with more grit. Some people still project AK to be a top-liner winger as soon as this season or next. I happen to share his scepticism towards Kastsitsyn, who IMO is wildly overrated on these boards.

To db23, I say keep posting. At least your opinions are original.

Old
07-10-2004, 02:02 AM
EaGLE1

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave
I second this. Nearly every time db23 posts, he gets dogpiled by people who then have the nerve to call him a troll. People should just leave the guy alone if they don't want to read his opinion.

People criticize db23 for believing that AK will be a bust, yet no one is ever criticized for believing that he will be like Alex Kovalev but with more speed, or like Pavel Bure with more grit. Some people still project AK to be a top-liner winger as soon as this season or next. I happen to share his scepticism towards Kastsitsyn, who IMO is wildly overrated on these boards.

I don't agree...

Saying that Kost IS A BUST already at the age of 19 is like saying that...

Theodore is the next Jim Carey.
Markov play like David Wilkie.
Komisarek will not be better than Aki Berg.
Ryder will never score more than 10 goals again.
Uqhart is the next Wayne Gretzky.

It just doen't make sence at this point.

Old
07-10-2004, 02:16 AM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by EaGLE1
I don't agree...

Saying that Kost IS A BUST already at the age of 19 is like saying that...

Theodore is the next Jim Carey.
Markov play like David Wilkie.
Komisarek will not be better than Aki Berg.
Ryder will never score more than 10 goals again.
Uqhart is the next Wayne Gretzky.

It just doen't make sence at this point.
Well exactly, but there's a double-standard at work here.

No one on these boards gets flamed for saying that AK will be just like older Hossa, or Bure mixed with Mogilny and flavoured with Kovalev. So why should db23 get flamed for saying that he will be a bust? Nobody knows yet, but db23 gets shouted down every time he challenges the orthodox prophecy.

It's petty-minded, and it defeats the whole purpose of a hockey forum.

Old
07-10-2004, 02:23 AM
DEBASER

Quote:

exactly. db23's posts are original, and he backs up his claims with facts. most posters on these boards merely regurgitate the stuff they read online about player's profiles. at least consider what db23 is saying before blindly dismissing his argument.

Old
07-10-2004, 02:53 AM
markov`

db23 is maybe original, but he's so *****ing silly. You know, I can take he does not like Kostitsyn, he just don't have to repeat it five time a day.

Old
07-10-2004, 08:47 AM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
I have nothing aginst DB23 for saying he doesnt like Kostitsyn as a player, because of his stats. Thats his judgement, and his opinion. What i dont like though is when he constantly bashes Kostitsyn when ever someone speaks of him or mentions his name.

For example, Yesterday there was a post with a link to a picture of Kostitsyn, and DB23 had this to say.......

"He looks as dumb as a post"

Now tell me, what the H*ll does that have to do with anything???? Thats just plain silly and uncalled for.

Grow up DB23, everyone else is here, why cant you...............

Old
07-10-2004, 09:04 AM
Marmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesome`
My first impression was that you never knew what you were talking about.

Thanks for reminding me of how clueless you are when it comes to judging players ability and potential.
:lol You beat me to it.

ALEXANDRE DAIGLE 9
1993-1994 Senators 84 20 31 51 -45 40 4 0 2 0 168 11.9

JOE THORNTON 19
1997-1998 Bruins 55 3 4 7 -6 19 0 0 1 0 33 9.1

Db23 is right, you should always, *ALWAYS* follow your first your first impression.
I'm sure if Db23 was B's gm in 1997, he would probably have shipped away that "busted" Big joe for a bag of cracked puck. Not sucessful in his first pro year, bad stats and bad first impression, joe must be a bust at 19 years old. On the other hand, Db23 was probably 5 years old at that time.

Old
07-10-2004, 09:26 AM
Marmax

Quote:
The first undred times they were originals. Now that Db23's 563 posts are all about antikastytsin, it has reach a point where it his ridiculus and clearly annoying. I'm not one of those who say that Ak-47 is the next PavelBure but in WJC I definaly thought he was an intriguing prospect to say the least. so if you want to play the big brother with Db23, I have no problem with that. But then,why dont you tell him to close it for a while and to go suck a lemon, because most of us are tired of that guy making more a clown of himself each day passing by. If his argument were so strong and credible why does he feel the need to hunt every kast thread only to repeat what he already said a billion times. :mad:

Old
07-10-2004, 09:39 AM
Russian Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Russian Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatone
Me too db23 vient toute gaché yer plate en esti il est po intelligent ! Si juste un moderateur srait la ! Parce-que maintenant il aurait deja ete banne pck Montreal en a assez de lui meme dans un autre board il bashait Kast !! Il aime juste pas ca quand il a un bon prospect ! Pck Montreal a dit que c notre meilleur prospect depuis bien longtemps au moins il sait de koi il parle lui pck il l'as deja vu jouer puis yer ben intelligent ! Les paroles de db23 c komme dla marde sur le trottoir ou stun drogue qui prend du Pot ! Chu sure que yer aller pleuré !

DB23 ??? the 23th DUMB B*tch ???
It's not beacause you don't like db23 that you have any right to insult him (in another language also). You're not intelligent either & classless I might add to say something about him just because he doesn't caution your point of view.

I'm not db23's fan because I love Kastsitsyn & I saw him but you're not better because you are thinking like the mass here.

No one here criticize you when you bump your own thread to add a sentence like ''200 persons answer my poll woo hoo''.

Don't take this as if I want to bash you publicly, this is just my argument to say that even if you don't like db23's comments, you still have no right to pretend you are better & publicly bash him in another language that he doesn't know. (I think !).

If you really want to be intelligent, stop bashing him & ignore him. Also stop bumping your own thread because you want to acknowledge.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Je vais te le dire en francais parce que je voudrais pas que tu penses que je t'insulte ou que je te manque de respect.

Ce n'est pas parce que tu n'aimes pas db23 que tu as le droit de l'insulter (en francais dans un endroit en anglais en +). Tu n'est pas + intelligent que lui et tu manque encore + de classe que lui pour l'insulter parce qu'il ne pense pas comme toi.

Je ne défend pas db23 même que je suis loin de l'apprécier parce que j'ADORE Kastsitsyn et que je l'ai vu quelques parties RSL mais tu n'est pas une meilleure personne ou un meilleur ''poster'' parce que tu penses comme la majorité.

La preuve c'est que personne ici ne va te critique parce que tu remontes tes messages dans le haut avec une phrase sans importance comme ''200 personnes ont répondu à mon sondage woo hoo''.

Ne prend pas ceci comme si je voulais t'insulter publiquement, c'est juste mon argument pour te dire que même si tu n'aimes pas les commentaires de db23, tu n'es toujours pas la personne pour te penser supérieur à lui & rire de lui dans une langue qu'il ne connait pas (je pense)

Si vraiment , tu veux démontrer que tu es intelligent, arrête de te préoccuper de lui, tu n'as qu'à l'ignorer & aussi peut-être arrêter de faire remonter tes messages parce que tu désires être reconnu.

Je sais que tu n'es qu'un ado mais essai de prendre mon message comme si j'essayais de te dire quelque chose qui s'applique autant à toi qu'aux autres qui feraient le même genre de commentaires vis à vis db23 ou un autre ''poster''.

En espérant que je ne t'ai pas choquer.

Russian Fan.

Old
07-10-2004, 10:13 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
The great players jump out at you. Mario Lemieux or Guy Lafleur could step off the golf course in August with a beer in one hand and a cigarette in the other and still dominate any practice or exhibition game. That's just the way it is.
Wasn't guy lafleur considered to be dissapointing his first 2 or 3 NHL seasons, till he lost the helmet??

Old
07-10-2004, 10:22 AM
Duff88

Quote:
First impressions from camp show Locke as being a dynamic and exciting overachiever. Chipchura as solid if not outstanding about what was expected. Kostitsyn as erratic and disappointing underacheiver.

You can take all of those to the bank. It won't change much over the course of the camp, the preseason, the season, or their careers. Corey Locke is the only certain NHL player in camp at the moment. Exactly what I said a year ago.
I don't like your post or thread, I even try to avoir reading them as much as possible. But now I think that you should stop, stop posting thread about how much you hate Kostitsyn every weeks, we all understood and you must also understand that not much of us agree with you.

Yes, in a few years from now, Kostitsyn might be playing in some Belarussian league that no one knows and people look at him in his draft year as people look at Teemu Riihijarvi, but what will that change?

You must understand that people read your thread and say : "What other stupidity will he say today?" You lost all your credibility with your first few posts where you said that Kostitsyn wouldn't make the NHL because Kosmachev was a regular player for CSKA but Kostitsyn couldn't crack the lineup.

Now, I know that it's quite useless to try to change your posts, but I think that you should giveup posting all these threads about him, we understood your opinion.

And BTW, I have to completely disagree with your statement about Locke, if there's something unsure about Locke, it's that he'll make it to the NHL. He has tons of talents, but he will need to work unbelievably to make it to the big leagues, because he can't become a third liner with the type of hockey he plays.

Old
07-10-2004, 10:23 AM
Histrion

Send a message via MSN to Histrion
Quote:

The fact is that stats can be useful to comparate similar players when they play in the same league and with team of equal forces. If not, it becomes way too hard. Especially if some of them are playing in Russia were there's not a lot of scoring. Unless the guy is really doing great in Russia (see Kovalchuk in the High League in his draft year) then it's hard to draw any conclusions based on stats alone. The fact is that db23 use ONLY stats because he never saw these players play. And that's because I never saw them that I shut up and wait. There would be no purposes for me to go out there and say that I think that X player is as good as X player when I saw none of these players. Well, that's exactly what db23 is doing and most of us around here think it is totally moronic.

He has a right to express himself, but he should also learn from his mistakes and start to have a better "intellectual integrety" and by that I mean that he should not talk about thing he knows jack about.

Closed Thread