HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

+/- Game 1 vs Tampa (3-0 win) (1-0 Pens)

Old
04-13-2011, 09:08 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quit all the jabs. We won a fantastic game. Keep on topic, please. All other playoff games can be discussed in the Around the league thread at the top of the board.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 09:09 PM
alcanalz
whys and wherefores

vCash: 193
- To my laptop for dying, not allowing me to share in the highs and lows with the rest of you bums.

+ Orpik - Holy Christ, what a game from Orpik. Nevermind the assists, I didn't even realize he got them, but he was a monster physically and defensively.
+ Letang - Great game from 58. There was one bad play in the D-zone, other than that he was stellar. With play like this from him and Orpik... look out.
+ Neal - Made for playoff hockey much?
+ Staal - Great game all-around. Unlucky to not get a goal.
+ Conner, Dupuis, Talbot - Really liked all of their games. One bad turnover by Talbot at the end, but I though tall three just played really good all around. Conner has to be pound-for-pound one of the biggest guys.
+ Fleury - If you need me to say anything, God have mercy on you.
+ Z / Kovy - Good games.

- Not putting them away on the PP in the third.

Great game all-around, I am pumped.

alcanalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 09:13 PM
Protect this house

+Fleury
+Staal
+We've come to expect the PK to be good and it was

Tampa had a chance at like 8:30 left in the game and that made me think about the possible shutout. I had to fight it out of my head.

+We were grinding tonight

Protect this house is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 09:14 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

- No TV
- No Radio
- No Feeds

Coach John McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 09:15 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

+ Fleury came to play.

+ If I'm being fair, Roloson really did too.

+ Asham coming up large. Insanely huge goal.

+ Neal/Kovalev making a difference.

+ Orpik set the tone and was borderline scary.

+ St. Louis was all over the place and did his best I think.

+ Getting the shots AND the chances, something that tends to elude us.

+ Smart, solid defensive play all around IMO.

- Kunitz's line was relatively quiet. Nothing to freak out about, but thought I'd see some more. (EDIT: Don't bite my head off for this one. I hate making plus/minuses when I was at the game just because it's a different perspective than TV. Also I'm reaching a bit for minuses tonight.)

- Stamkos has to be more visible or this is already over.

Posted this in the GDT but just for shigs:

Keys for the Pens in game 2: Keep on keepin' on with the forecheck. Must keep finding ways to manufacture legitimate chances.

Keys for Tampa: I think they've gotta gut it out a little more to match the Penguins' intensity. They literally had 5-6 chances that were oh so close, just laying in or around the crease. At the same time no one was there in time to put them in.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 09:16 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

+ Fleury was the reason we won this game. It was the best I've ever seen him and that includes both trips to the finals. He was an absolute beast tonight and that save on Vinnie was out of this world. Amazing game by #29.

+ Orpik/Michalek: Both guys are changing the way this team succeeds. It's about team defense and goaltending right now. Both guys were sound with great gaps, physical play, and doing anything it takes to win every battle. I'd say they won at least 75% of their battles. That's a great number.

+ Neal/Kunitz/Talbot: These guys did a great job backchecking up and down the ice. Once again, team defense is what makes this team win games right now w/ Sid and Geno out.

Old
04-13-2011, 09:18 PM
Miss Ausguins
The Aussie Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crozbar View Post
I hate the nickname "Koon". It seems so awkward somehow.
I can tell you that many indigenous Australians take offence to the word Koon as well. Oh yeah, we have a brand of cheese called Coon too.

Miss Ausguins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 09:21 PM
wtbipyo

+ Disciplined Pens Hockey. We've taken so many dumb penalties this year, and I think DB got through to the boys that Tampa's PP could turn the tide. (Do we need Matt Cooke?)
+ 8 Seconds! Even the Lovejoy/Niskanen pairing was getting the job done! I was highly impressed by our defense. Martin/Michalek worth every penny.
+ Orpik. Just doing his thing come playoff time. You could not have scripted a better start to the game with him leveling Stamkos.
+ Neal/Kovalev. Kovy made some poor decisions, but was trying to create. Amazing game by Neal backchecking and amazing pass to Kovy for the game winner!
+ 3rd Line (Duper/Max/Connor). Constant pests all night grinding down Tampa's D.
+ Asham. Playoff tested...playoff approved. Will be the Max Talbot of 2011...
+ MAF. Oh yeah...and this guy is okay

= Letang. Great defensively, like he said he has to be...but gosh he's got to hit the net.

- Rupp. No one has said it yet, so I will. He looked beyond awful tonight. Several bad passes, offsides, and lost battles on the wall. Needs to bring it or play Tangradi/Comrie.

wtbipyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 09:29 PM
Biz Nasty
Cooke 4 Lady Byng

Just got home from the game...

A huge + needs to go to the crowd...CEC was absolutely electric. It was rocking from the jump and when Kovy and Asham scored the floor was literally shaking...just unreal.

Another + goes to me for wearing my Asham jersey over top of my Kovalev T-shirt. Just sayin...

Biz Nasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 09:32 PM
Jaded-Fan

Have said it before, this Pens' team reminds me of the Devil's teams that used to drive our offensive superstar, defensive meh, teams nuts over the years. Not that they mirror those Devil teams in play, they are not the same. But the games feel like that. Low scoring and capitalize on mistakes. It won us a ton of games throughout the year. It won us two thirds of the last eleven games of the season. It held TB to udner two goals a game all year. Unless TB can find a way to change their style of play to deal with our style of play, they will have a hard time.

I am not sure why the majority of people had us as the decided underdog in this series on the main board. Not that we still can not lose, but this series we should expect to win.

Jaded-Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 09:35 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
Have said it before, this Pens' team reminds me of the Devil's teams that used to drive our offensive superstar, defensive meh, teams nuts over the years. Not that they mirror those Devil teams in play, they are not the same. But the games feel like that. Low scoring and capitalize on mistakes. It won us a ton of games throughout the year. It won us two thirds of the last eleven games of the season. It held TB to udner two goals a game all year. Unless TB can find a way to change their style of play to deal with our style of play, they will have a hard time.

I am not sure why the majority of people had us as the decided underdog in this series on the main board. Not that we still can not lose, but this series we should expect to win.
Completely agree with the bolded part. I agree we should expect to win because, well we're a great organization. Tampa had a ton of chances that were just too close for anyone to get cocky though. I think early on more than a few pucks could have easily gone in and this game would've turned out far different. Of course it didn't happen though.

Old
04-13-2011, 09:38 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

+ Fans singing loudly during National Anthem (can't remember last time I saw this in the US)
+ Free Candy for Everyone
+ Shut-out
+ Neal-slap-pass-to-Kovy-scorrre
+ Another goal 15 seconds later

+ The Stickless Hedman
(congratulations Bob, you said something genuinely humorous tonight)

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 09:38 PM
alcanalz
whys and wherefores

vCash: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biz Nasty View Post
Another + goes to me for wearing my Asham jersey over top of my Kovalev T-shirt. Just sayin...
Da-yumn.

alcanalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 09:41 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkochalek View Post
+ The Stickless Hedman
I swear a Tampa player dropped, not broke their stick 3-4 times this game.

Old
04-13-2011, 09:51 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Orpik's hit on Stamkos reminded me of his hit on Heatley in 2008. A few minutes into the game and he just destroys him. Set the tone for the game and eventually the series as well, hopefully that happens again.

Zen Arcade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 09:58 PM
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

+++++MAF
+Staal
+Neal
+Kuni
+Orpik
+Asham (sick moves!!!)
+Letang
+Letestu

-First period (poor puck movement)
-Power play (absolutely HORRID)
-Staal's finishing (or lack thereof)
-Kovalev (I don't care if he scored, the man has ZERO intensity)

AquaticBirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 09:58 PM
JTG

Brooks Orpik took Stamkos' head out of the game immediately. It's plays like those as to why many were against trading him in those threads before where people deemed him expendable.

Fleury played a fantastic game. That save on Lecavalier was sick.

Aaron Asham showed tonight why I would like to keep him around. Because he can do things like that.

This is the reason why Ray loaded up on defense this past offseason. It was lock-tight.

I thought Neal was playing like a playoff Penguin tonight. He was just a bowling ball. When it starts clicking for this guy, he's going to be so much fun to watch.

Jordan Staal had 2 or 3 shots that I think should have been put in the back of the cage. He really needs to work on that this summer. He played a good game though. So strong on the puck, and I like his puck retrieval on the powerplay.

Kovalev was mixing it up tonight. I love seeing that from him. Kovalev, much like Crosby and Malkin, when he gets into a game like that, he's a significantly better player.

That 1st period powerplay had some chemistry, but 0-6 is just...really not even worth talking about anymore.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 10:00 PM
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biz Nasty View Post
Just got home from the game...

A huge + needs to go to the crowd...CEC was absolutely electric. It was rocking from the jump and when Kovy and Asham scored the floor was literally shaking...just unreal.

+ to you for actually owning an Asham jersey...

AquaticBirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 10:02 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKnYELLOW66 View Post
-Staal's finishing (or lack thereof)
-Kovalev (I don't care if he scored, the man has ZERO intensity)
So what do you want exactly?

Old
04-13-2011, 10:04 PM
PensFanSince1989

http://www.nhl.com/ice/statshome.htm...nav-sts-league

PensFanSince1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 10:06 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Arcade View Post
Orpik's hit on Stamkos reminded me of his hit on Heatley in 2008. A few minutes into the game and he just destroys him. Set the tone for the game and eventually the series as well, hopefully that happens again.
Absolutely. It set the tone and we rallied behind it. Everyone was finishing hits and playing playoff hockey.

Only thing I would love to see is our powerplay cash in. We weren't getting great looks 5 on 5 to score goals. We probably won't without Sid. We need to find a way to score on the PP.

Old
04-13-2011, 10:09 PM
Biz Nasty
Cooke 4 Lady Byng

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
Absolutely. It set the tone and we rallied behind it. Everyone was finishing hits and playing playoff hockey.

Only thing I would love to see is our powerplay cash in. We weren't getting great looks 5 on 5 to score goals. We probably won't without Sid. We need to find a way to score on the PP.
I was encouraged at how the PP looked at the start of the 2nd...they have definitely improved since they tweaked it there the last week of the season, we just need to reap the benefits.

I loved the 4th line's play tonight...obviously people will point to Asham's goal, but all night they were putting in solid shifts. Asham-Adams-Rupp is a great playoff 4th line and I think they will be a great boost going forward

Biz Nasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 10:12 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 50
+++ MAF
+++ Brooks ****ing Orpik!!!!
+ Kovy
+ Kunitz
+ Winning
+ Asham

- Staal (missed so many chances. C'mon man get with it. )
- Our PP (though this is nothing new)
- Not scoring until the 3rd.

MetalheadPenguinsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 10:17 PM
TheStinger
Non Omnis Moriar

Excellent work making Stamkos a non-issue. That is all.

TheStinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 10:18 PM
JTG

I'd also like to give an up to Bugsy. That dude is an ox, and not just that, a smart ox. The little things he does in front of the net make a huge difference. I counted 3 times tonight where he was able to get WIDE opened in front of the net. They just weren't able to get him the puck.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote