HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

+/- Game 1 vs Tampa (3-0 win) (1-0 Pens)

Old
04-13-2011, 10:19 PM
Killahpunk
Legend

vCash: 1004
+ With the victory, Dan Bylsma has moved past Scotty Bowman for first place on the Penguins all-time postseason wins list with 24

Killahpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 10:20 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
Absolutely. It set the tone and we rallied behind it. Everyone was finishing hits and playing playoff hockey.

Only thing I would love to see is our powerplay cash in. We weren't getting great looks 5 on 5 to score goals. We probably won't without Sid. We need to find a way to score on the PP.
I don't even know anymore what they can change to be honest to make the PP work...

Crosby and Malkin are most sorely missed on the man advantage.

They just need to keep getting pucks on net and coal mining away.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 10:20 PM
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

vCash: 80
+ Orpik was a physical monster tonight
+ Fleury was the man
+ Kovalev producing a timely goal
+ "D" shutting down Stamkos
+ Overall team playing a strong physical game, which bodes well if this series goes the distance

I'm not going to bother with minuses when a Pens squad without Sid and Geno come away with a 3-0 playoff win.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 10:21 PM
Jaded-Fan

Our PP has sucked all year. We have more points overall than all but two teams. Really, if it was going to bite us in the ass, it would have done so already.

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 10:27 PM
SirBrad

+ Top 4 Dman combining for big minutes, limiting Nisky and Lovejoy to 12 and 10 minutes each. We need those 4 guys sucking up those minutes the rest of the way.

SirBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 10:28 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

+ They were able to get into St. Louis's grille tonight. 2 shots/-2/-2 teeth. He was off his game for good amounts of time. Stay there.

+ Neutralized Stamkos

+ Fleury

+ Kovy & Neal

+ Orpik

= Pens PP, they may not have scored but it was effectively run.

- There were some break downs but lets not act like Tampa isn't skilled.

- not being able to score on those PPs.

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 10:29 PM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadPenguinsFan View Post
+++ MAF
+++ Brooks ****ing Orpik!!!!
+ Kovy
+ Kunitz
+ Winning
+ Asham

- Staal (missed so many chances. C'mon man get with it. )
- Our PP (though this is nothing new)
- Not scoring until the 3rd.
+++Staal's Overall Game
++Orpik's Hitting
++Fleury
+Letang
+Kovy for him solid effort and game
++ Our Grinders

-Staal's finishing (still best forward on the ice for either team)

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 10:30 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
Really, if it was going to bite us in the ass, it would have done so already.
I have to disagree strongly...

Old
04-13-2011, 10:30 PM
edog37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
+ Fleury was the reason we won this game. It was the best I've ever seen him and that includes both trips to the finals. He was an absolute beast tonight and that save on Vinnie was out of this world. Amazing game by #29.

+ Orpik/Michalek: Both guys are changing the way this team succeeds. It's about team defense and goaltending right now. Both guys were sound with great gaps, physical play, and doing anything it takes to win every battle. I'd say they won at least 75% of their battles. That's a great number.

+ Neal/Kunitz/Talbot: These guys did a great job backchecking up and down the ice. Once again, team defense is what makes this team win games right now w/ Sid and Geno out.
team defense like this will take us very far.

edog37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 10:34 PM
TopShelfGoal

+ MAF - no need to repeat what everyone else is saying
+ Kovy - thought he was noticeable (despite scoring the opening goal)
+ Neal - 1st career playoff point on the GWG. Perfect shot-pass.
+ Orpik - gave young Stamkos a taste of free candy

= Faceoff's weren't dreadful, but not spectacular either
= PP didn't score but looked good at times

- Not on television so I sat in front of my computer the whole game
- Wore my Malkin jersey thru 1st 2 periods...took it off for the 3rd...2 goals in 18 seconds
- Washington winning in OT (I think that series could go 7 games)
- I miss Ryan Malone, one of my favorite players

TopShelfGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 10:41 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
I have to disagree strongly...
Can you do so in a way that goes beyond strong, but actually explains why?

Sure I wish we were scoring on the PP, and the recent past, meaning the last month of the season into tonight, is beyond ridiulously bad, but we were hardly setting the world on fire on the PP at any point this year (or prior years for that matter). If we hit that amazing around 15% clip that seems to be our norm for the year, it is pretty obvious we can win with that hand tied behind our backs. We have done it all year, like I said to the tune of more points than any but two teams in the league. Hell even when on our putrid 3 for like 63 streak at the end of the year we won 2/3 of our games. As I said it has not bit us in the ass all year, why assume it would begin to bite us in the ass in the playoffs if our putridity continues on the PP?

An explaination would be welcome.

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 10:43 PM
hctopcheds11

Not enough (or any) love for Martin in this thread. I actually thought he played a better game than Michalek did tonight and thats no knock on Michalek, whose quickly becoming my favorite defenseman on the team (alongside Letang).

Neal was excellent. Every shift, he seemed to have a positive contribution. Outside of the goal, I didn't love Kovalev's game, specifically on the PP (though I liked that he began to adjust and dump the puck in when TB stacked our blue line).

Typically, I find Orpik to be a bit overrated by us Pens fans. The Orpik who plays like he did tonight, is the Orpik that I think most Pens fans think he is every night (as in, he doesn't bring efforts like this enough in the regular season or playoffs). Orpik was outstanding, his gap was great and with his physicality, he changed the game. Gotta love Orpik.

Fleury with another excellent effort. Its to the point where I expect him to steal games for us.

hctopcheds11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 10:44 PM
MtlPenFan

Can someone verify if Kovy was OFF the PP unit in the second when they got like six shots? That was as good as I've seen the PP this year (even though they didn't score)

Gamecenter won't have the game up for another 48 hours. Can someone tell me who was on the ice for that great PP?

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 10:47 PM
shureshot66
Global Moderator

don't know if this was mentioned yet, but i'm pretty sure disco now is the winningest coach in penguins postseason history.

i can't decide yet if that's awesome or really kind of depressing.

EDIT: aaaaand it's mentioned right on this same page. good job, me.

shureshot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 10:49 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
Can you do so in a way that goes beyond strong, but actually explains why?

Sure I wish we were scoring on the PP, and the recent past, meaning the last month of the season into tonight, is beyond ridiulously bad, but we were hardly setting the world on fire on the PP at any point this year (or prior years for that matter). If we hit that amazing around 15% clip that seems to be our norm for the year, it is pretty obvious we can win with that hand tied behind our backs. We have done it all year, like I said to the tune of more points than any but two teams in the league. Hell even when on our putrid 3 for like 63 streak at the end of the year we won 2/3 of our games. As I said it has not bit us in the ass all year, why assume it would begin to bite us in the ass in the playoffs if our putridity continues on the PP?

An explaination would be welcome.
Playoff hockey is tighter checking; slimmer margin of error all over the ice; goals are at a premium.

I've seen more than enough tight playoffs games won on the PP over the years to think this horrid unit won't cost them at some point.

Old
04-13-2011, 10:54 PM
froods
Millerrrrrrr!!!

Great team win, nisky still scares me. Anybody else think Engo would be a better option?

froods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 10:54 PM
shureshot66
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
Can someone verify if Kovy was OFF the PP unit in the second when they got like six shots? That was as good as I've seen the PP this year (even though they didn't score)

Gamecenter won't have the game up for another 48 hours. Can someone tell me who was on the ice for that great PP?
right you are -- no kovy. kunitz, staal, kennedy up front with michalek and letang at the points.

Old
04-13-2011, 10:56 PM
Malkin4Top6Wingerz
Can you like, shutup

Quote:

Going from memory I'm almost positive that he was off the ice for that shift.

Malkin4Top6Wingerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 11:02 PM
Malkin4Top6Wingerz
Can you like, shutup

Quickly:

+ Fleury: Best game he's ever played in the postseason.

+ Neal: Simply dominant out there tonight. He can be an absolute force when he's on his game. His passing is also much better than I thought it would be, he made a few terrific passes including the one that lead to the GWG.

+ Staal: He didn't capitalize on his chances, but the important thing was that he generated them. He was the best player on his line tonight, something that hasn't been the case recently.

+ Top 4 D: Great game from everybody.

- Kennedy: This is probably a reach, I just didn't notice him as much as I would have expected.

Malkin4Top6Wingerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 11:29 PM
Human
cynic

Quote:

I believe he was off. I think I remember seeing him coming with the second unit near the end of the PP, because the Pens' sustained pressure ate the most part of it without any stoppages. Staal, Neal, Michalek and Letang were on the ice, and I believe Kunitz was the third forward. not 100% sure, though.

MAF played great,but I disagree that this was his best playoff game. that game 5 of the SCF back in 2008 and game 3 of the Flyers series back in 2009 were better.

Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 11:29 PM
shureshot66
Global Moderator

per the st. pete times:

Quote:
Just got word, Marty St. Louis had a double root canal after game on the teeth loosened by Michalek's stick to the mouth.
gahhhh. makes me cringe just reading that. definitely one of the more egregious no-calls you'll see in the playoffs. the bolts are very much justified in being pissed off about that one.

Old
04-13-2011, 11:55 PM
Legendary66

Not going to reiterate what everyone else has said and congratulations to Flower for the shutout.

HOWEVER.

Can Flower stop trying to play the puck outside his net? He's horrendous at it and he has been for the last couple seasons. I cringe every time he leaves his net. Tampa is a fast team, when they see Fleury leave that net they are going hard for that puck. A turnover usually means a goal, so it's playing to your percentages to just stay in the net.

An example was Marty's open net opportunity. Fluery plays the puck from behind the net, flips it up the west boards. Turns AWAY from the puck and starts skating back to the crease from the east side. It takes him a full 4 seconds to get back in net, meanwhile theres a turnover and St. Louis almost had an open netter.

I love you Fleury and great you got the shut out, but PLEASE please be smarter with your stick handling.

edit: He also played the puck when he should have covered it in the first period which lead to a scoring opportunity by the Bolts.

Legendary66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 11:55 PM
lastcupever75
NY Roadkill

Quote:
Originally Posted by shureshot66 View Post
per the st. pete times:

gahhhh. makes me cringe just reading that. definitely one of the more egregious no-calls you'll see in the playoffs. the bolts are very much justified in being pissed off about that one.
how do you call a high stick penalty when the head it hits is 2 feet off the ice?

we've seen this go uncalled against us too

lastcupever75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 12:09 AM
alcanalz
whys and wherefores

vCash: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendary66 View Post
Not going to reiterate what everyone else has said and congratulations to Flower for the shutout.

HOWEVER.

Can Flower stop trying to play the puck outside his net? He's horrendous at it and he has been for the last couple seasons. I cringe every time he leaves his net. Tampa is a fast team, when they see Fleury leave that net they are going hard for that puck. A turnover usually means a goal, so it's playing to your percentages to just stay in the net.

An example was Marty's open net opportunity. Fluery plays the puck from behind the net, flips it up the west boards. Turns AWAY from the puck and starts skating back to the crease from the east side. It takes him a full 4 seconds to get back in net, meanwhile theres a turnover and St. Louis almost had an open netter.

I love you Fleury and great you got the shut out, but PLEASE please be smarter with your stick handling.

edit: He also played the puck when he should have covered it in the first period which lead to a scoring opportunity by the Bolts.
I may be remembering it incorrectly, but I'm almost positive that it was the D-man who flipped it up the boards and then it hit the official and bounced to St. Louis for the wide open cage while MAF went to get his stick. I'm pretty sure it was the defenceman not Fleury, but it definitely hit the official and took a weird bounce.

alcanalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 12:22 AM
Legendary66

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcanalz View Post
I may be remembering it incorrectly, but I'm almost positive that it was the D-man who flipped it up the boards and then it hit the official and bounced to St. Louis for the wide open cage while MAF went to get his stick. I'm pretty sure it was the defenceman not Fleury, but it definitely hit the official and took a weird bounce.
Yes and no.

Fleury chipped it to the corner, in doing so a Bolts player wrapped around the net and Fleury lost his stick while doing so. While the Penguins D was chipping it out, Fleury thought it was a good idea to recover his stick from behind the net. Meanwhile the puck didn't get out of the zone and allowed for St. Louis to have a chance on the open net goal.

1 bad move by Pen's D and 2 bad moves by Fleury. 1 was trying to play the puck (which I really don't want him to do). The second was when he decided leaving the net was a smart move to grab his stick while the puck was still deep in his zone.

Now my previous post didn't explain that because during the game I only had a limited view. We never saw Fleury return to the net, we just saw him play the puck and saw him just returning to the net far too late, I was wondering why it took so long. The NHL.com replay shows Fleury got back in net then decided to recover his stick.

I just don't want Fleury doing moves like this again. He played good, but he is only good when he is in his net to make a save. He has a good defensive core, he doesn't need to be leaving the net to make risky plays.

Legendary66 is offline   Reply With Quote