HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

+/- Game 1 vs Tampa (3-0 win) (1-0 Pens)

Old
04-14-2011, 12:33 AM
Mordax
It don't Maatta

vCash: 500
I thought for sure Fleury was going to go for the empty netter when the Bolts dumped it in towards the end there. Definitely had a "holy ***** please don't do it!" moment in my head

Mordax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 01:00 AM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordax View Post
I thought for sure Fleury was going to go for the empty netter when the Bolts dumped it in towards the end there. Definitely had a "holy ***** please don't do it!" moment in my head
Yeah. Game 1 of a 7-game series is not the time to try that. Glad he didn't.

TravisUlrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 01:10 AM
66-29-33

- TB fans...go look at their GDT, looks like we can't escape from these people with their BS stories.

66-29-33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 01:31 AM
Tender Rip
Learning from Scuds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-29-33 View Post
- TB fans...go look at their GDT, looks like we can't escape from these people with their BS stories.
I can't be the only one to notice that something is off there ?

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 01:45 AM
66-29-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
I can't be the only one to notice that something is off there ?
You're the only one.

*hides under a desk*

ONLY ONE!

66-29-33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 02:26 AM
boileroo

+ orpik. maybe the best game i've ever seen from him.

that said, the whole D was tight as hell tonight, great performance alround!

- my gf is lightning fan and will no doubt be pissy :p

boileroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 04:31 AM

+ Neal supporting Kovy in the middle of the ice during the break out. I always thought there was to much gap between them. With Neal supporting at center and Kovy luring on the wall, it should be able to get cleaner plays from both of them.

+ Everyone being smart and safe with the puck.

+ Orpik with a monster game from the opening bell. As a great man once said "... ding, ding..."

+ Max Talbot... Its his time of year and he came out flying. Hard on the puck and provided energy every shift.

+ The D as a whole was really tested and aced that test. Strong around the cage, on every loose puck and great in transition. They're going to be the difference maker in the series.

+ MAF... I was happy to see him get some shots early. Watching him work with this defense is as pretty to watch as Lemieux and Jagr. They just feed well off of each other.

- That Kovy goal is exactly how players have to beat Rollie. That weak side winger needs to back off the net and one time it into an empty net. Rollie's really aggressive to the shooter and the Pens need to play that against him more.

- I almost want to say that dumps need to be in the corners because DR is coming out to stop pucks behind the net. The thing is that he looks a liitle sloppy doing it and, being an older goalie, it might wear on him in the long run.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 04:43 AM
Frederick Stanley
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

I can`t stop watching Orpik on Stamkos.

Frederick Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 05:04 AM
SaturdayNightSlegr

Just a sick pass by Neal on the Kovy goal. What a player.

Its great that players we didn't have last year are stepping up, Ahsam, Kovy, Neal, LOVEJOY.

SaturdayNightSlegr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 05:51 AM
mrzeigler
Geno and Juss '13

Orpik's play warrants a repost of my oversized "free candy" avatar of a couple years ago:

Last edited by mrzeigler: 01-04-2013 at 07:50 AM.
mrzeigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 05:53 AM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by shureshot66 View Post
per the st. pete times:

gahhhh. makes me cringe just reading that. definitely one of the more egregious no-calls you'll see in the playoffs. the bolts are very much justified in being pissed off about that one.
I think Kerry Fraser said it should have been 5 minutes for slashing.

Somewhat reckless but should it arguably have been 2 minutes for slashing with no second minor because it wasn't a high stick?

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 05:56 AM
AK

Quote:
per the st. pete times:

gahhhh. makes me cringe just reading that. definitely one of the more egregious no-calls you'll see in the playoffs. the bolts are very much justified in being pissed off about that one.
Yeah, there's going to be a carryover make-up call in Game 2. That's the second biggest help the Pens have ever gotten from a referee in the playoffs, the first being the 20 seconds of six men they got in Game 3 vs. Detroit in 2009. I think in '08 Malone got away with a bloody high stick on Drury, too.

You take 'em when you get 'em.

AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 06:03 AM
mrzeigler
Geno and Juss '13

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyg26 View Post
Not enough (or any) love for Martin in this thread. I actually thought he played a better game than Michalek did tonight and thats no knock on Michalek, whose quickly becoming my favorite defenseman on the team (alongside Letang).

Neal was excellent. Every shift, he seemed to have a positive contribution. Outside of the goal, I didn't love Kovalev's game, specifically on the PP (though I liked that he began to adjust and dump the puck in when TB stacked our blue line).

Typically, I find Orpik to be a bit overrated by us Pens fans. The Orpik who plays like he did tonight, is the Orpik that I think most Pens fans think he is every night (as in, he doesn't bring efforts like this enough in the regular season or playoffs). Orpik was outstanding, his gap was great and with his physicality, he changed the game. Gotta love Orpik.

Fleury with another excellent effort. Its to the point where I expect him to steal games for us.
I agree. He's crucified when he makes one mistake in a game and people treat him like the invisible man when he pinches, throws the puck back to Neal who finds Kovy wide open for the goal. That pinch was crucial to the victory.

mrzeigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 06:22 AM
wtbipyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biz Nasty View Post
I was encouraged at how the PP looked at the start of the 2nd...they have definitely improved since they tweaked it there the last week of the season, we just need to reap the benefits.

I loved the 4th line's play tonight...obviously people will point to Asham's goal, but all night they were putting in solid shifts. Asham-Adams-Rupp is a great playoff 4th line and I think they will be a great boost going forward
Don't be fooled by the goal that Asham scored. Adams and Asham played solid, but Rupp was awful last night. I can remember at least two or three occasions where I was nervous with this group on the ice because Tampa's 4th line has a lot of speed. I worry about this line matching up against Tampa's 1 or 2 when we head there...

*** What did everyone think of Rupp's performance last night? I think it is getting overlooked with so many positives from last night.

wtbipyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 06:28 AM
wtbipyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrzeigler View Post
I agree. He's crucified when he makes one mistake in a game and people treat him like the invisible man when he pinches, throws the puck back to Neal who finds Kovy wide open for the goal. That pinch was crucial to the victory.
100000% agree. Martin does so many subtle plays during the course of a game that the casual fan doesn't even notice. Have you noticed how a number of our defensemen go "stick-on-puck" at the blue line. I really think that Martin has changed our D overall for the better. Orpik and Martin run the show back there and the youth really listen. It's absolutely great to watch. I even felt comfortable with Nis and the Rev back there tonight.

wtbipyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 06:40 AM
SaintRon

+ Neal. I've been thinking this since he got here, but he so reminds me of Hoss (Steigy mentioned it during the game). He was everywhere last night. The goals will come, but I'll take the helpers any day of the week.

+ MAF. Great game but to me the best part of his night was at the end. Rather than trying to shoot for the empty net, he made the SMART, team play to move it to his dmen to get it out. I think that scenario happened twice. Both times he moved the puck to his dman.

SaintRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 06:44 AM
HappyHuman

+ Stayed out of the box
+ Fleury was great
+ Overall just a solid game

- Too many chances for Tampa early on.
- 0 for 6 on the PP in a close game.
- Conner: 1st to puck yet never can maintain posession.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
So what do you want exactly?
LOL

HappyHuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 06:45 AM
khaoskennedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtbipyo View Post
Don't be fooled by the goal that Asham scored. Adams and Asham played solid, but Rupp was awful last night. I can remember at least two or three occasions where I was nervous with this group on the ice because Tampa's 4th line has a lot of speed. I worry about this line matching up against Tampa's 1 or 2 when we head there...

*** What did everyone think of Rupp's performance last night? I think it is getting overlooked with so many positives from last night.
Rupp didnt look good last night, but overall the game was awesome.
id comment more on rupp but i was at the arena so im sure i didnt notice every
thing rupp did.

khaoskennedy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 07:05 AM
NastyNick

Loved everything about this game. Tampa got a few decent chances, but no odd man breaks and no breakaways. The defense punished their stars and the forwards grinded down their D. If that Tampa defense was sucking wind and playing scared 2 periods into this series, they are going to be much worse off by game 4 & 5.

+ Neil, best game as a Pen yet. He was imposing his will around the ice.
+ Talbot, solid game. Hes bringing it.
+ Asham, just for stepping up the intensity when Tampa was wilting. It worked. Only thing he did all game but it was great.

+ Michalek, kept a lot of odd man breaks from happening and easily our biggest offensive threat from the blue line.

+ Orpik, heres a guy you really appreciate in the playoffs

- Letang, not thrilled with his performance on the PP lately. He has got to hit the net more.
- Staal, could have turned this into a blowout if he buried some of those chances.

NastyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 07:33 AM
Koempel

++ Fleury
+ the photo on nhl.com with evil Kovalev and retarded Letestu
+ work ethic
- working without sleep

Koempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 07:55 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Great team effort, Flower was great, Orpik with some big hits early on and kept Stamkos off the scoreboard, this team is all about hustle and we will surprise with or without Sid!

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 08:14 AM
spcastlemagic

+ One of the best games I've been to... crowd was wild all night which bodes well for the rest of the playoffs
+ Enough can't be said about how good of a game Orpik had. He's built for the playoffs
+ On the topic of being built for the playoffs... James Neal. I've given him flak for his lack of consistency and production, but I think we're going to see this guy at his best over the next few weeks.
+ If this the defensive and goaltending effort we can put forth every night, we'll be really, really tough

We'll leave the minuses up to Bylsma and Rierden to find on film

spcastlemagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 08:18 AM
PensFanSince1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendary66 View Post
Not going to reiterate what everyone else has said and congratulations to Flower for the shutout.

HOWEVER.

Can Flower stop trying to play the puck outside his net? He's horrendous at it and he has been for the last couple seasons. I cringe every time he leaves his net. Tampa is a fast team, when they see Fleury leave that net they are going hard for that puck. A turnover usually means a goal, so it's playing to your percentages to just stay in the net.

An example was Marty's open net opportunity. Fluery plays the puck from behind the net, flips it up the west boards. Turns AWAY from the puck and starts skating back to the crease from the east side. It takes him a full 4 seconds to get back in net, meanwhile theres a turnover and St. Louis almost had an open netter.

I love you Fleury and great you got the shut out, but PLEASE please be smarter with your stick handling.
No. The Pens coaches want Fleury to play the puck, and he's going to continue to. He has hiccups, but he's allowed 1 goal this entire season from them. It helps the defence for him to play the puck.

And the play you are speaking of didn't occur like you claim. It was, Fleury goes behind the net, plays the puck, when going back to the net, he loses his stick as I think it was a TB player that ran into it. He gets to the net, looks like Pens are clearing it, so he goes back behind the net to retrieve his stick, turnover (not Fleury's fault), he goes diving back in the net.

PensFanSince1989 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 08:20 AM
PensFanSince1989

Quote:
per the st. pete times:

Meh, I'm glad it wasn't called. As long as its not with intent, I think its dumb to call it a 'high stick' when the stick doesn't even go above the waist.

PensFanSince1989 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 08:22 AM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPenalty View Post
If that Tampa defense was sucking wind and playing scared 2 periods into this series, they are going to be much worse off by game 4 & 5.
This is what I was thinking last night. Could be a little adrenaline early drained them late? But the key is to stay on them and keep forcing them to move in their d- zone, so they don't get a chance to catch their breath and get their legs.