HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

POTG & GBR: ECQF Game 1 @ Washington Capitals

View Poll Results: Player of the Game: ECQF Game 1 @ Washington Capitals
Brian Boyle 2 1.15%
Ruslan Fedotenko 0 0%
Matt Gilroy 10 5.75%
Dan Girardi 6 3.45%
Henrik Lundqvist 135 77.59%
Ryan McDonagh 1 0.57%
Vaclav Prospal 5 2.87%
Brandon Prust 4 2.30%
Michael Sauer 2 1.15%
Marc Staal 5 2.87%
Other 4 2.30%
Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-13-2011, 10:40 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobgoblin Steve View Post
they have a game today? O.o
The same game they've had for years... invite all 4 remaining Islanders fans to one of their houses and watch the Rangers be the better franchise.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 10:41 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsteppp View Post
in the Islanders GDT one of them called the "Rangers a bunch of losers"
Shouldn't their "rebuilding" process be a little further along now? They've been standing in place the past few seasons. How many years left on the DP contract, 12?

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 10:41 PM
Dantes19

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
Just came back to say Staal is a dunce. That is all.

Then please go away and don't come back.

He's 24 years old and played 32 minutes against one of the best offensive players in the league. You expect him to be perfect and not make any kind of mistake? You're killing him because he made the safe play that just so happened to not work out this time. Please find a little bit of perspective on the situation before you ***** and complain.

Dantes19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 10:45 PM
nyrleetch

Can Avery get a chance to play on Friday? OR will torts opt for Gilroy on forward since he scored with Eminger on D lol.

nyrleetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 10:46 PM
Pugs35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantes19 View Post
Then please go away and don't come back.

He's 24 years old and played 32 minutes against one of the best offensive players in the league. You expect him to be perfect and not make any kind of mistake? You're killing him because he made the safe play that just so happened to not work out this time. Please find a little bit of perspective on the situation before you ***** and complain.
This x10. This fanbase is pathetically embarrassing a lot of the time.

Pugs35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 10:46 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
I don't see how anyone can be upset with the teams effort other than in OT where we were just tired. 20 minute overtimes are hardcore.
And this is significant. Unfortunately, this is what happens when you DON'T have the shootout to save your fanny and you're confronting a better team.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 10:47 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

Still saying that was a no goal. Refs should have blown it dead. The puck was CLEARLY not visible. I thought that if you can't see the puck you're supposed to blow the play dead. People saying the posts bailed Hank out, how do you know it wasn't the only thing they could shoot at and if it was lower, Hank wouldn't have stopped it?

This one will sting for a little while, but I'm expecting them to get right back on the horse and play Rangers hockey on Friday. Nothing more, nothing less. Series is going back to MSG 1-1

mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
NYR Viper

People need to take a deep breath. This is only game 1 in their building. They played a great road game even though they didn't capitalize on a lot of their chances.

With the youth on this team, I have to imagine that as the series goes along they will gain confidence and become more comfortable with the pace.

Hank looked great.

Prust, Boyle and Fedotenko were very good all game long.

Staal and Girardi were very good but got caught on the ice too long at times. It really shows how much this team needs another top-4 defenseman who Torts trusts outside of Sauer and McDonagh as the 3rd pairing needs to alleviate some pressure off of those 2.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus View Post
And this is significant. Unfortunately, this is what happens when you DON'T have the shootout to save your fanny and you're confronting a better team.
That's what happens when BOTH teams are gassed, but one team has an actual top line.

You guys are making it sound like the Caps were playing beautiful hockey in OT. Semin has a great shot and he used it. Give me Richards to end that game in regulation.

Old
04-13-2011, 10:54 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Honestly, I"d be surprised if the Rangers score one powerplay goal in this series. The caps have great PK and our PP is brutal.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 10:54 PM
XLJ

I would take Staal off the powerplay. Thats where you should be resting him a little during a game. Its not like he is great on the powerplay.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 10:55 PM
PanMan

The ref wanted to blow the whistle but then he saw it in the net and he didn't make a call either way. If he would have been more decisive and waived it off right away then it would be no goal even if they went upstairs. But he hesitated and didn't know what to do and did nothing. Unfortunate, but with the way things turned out it was a good goal.

I'm more pissed that Stepan just sat there and nobody did anything until Staal barged in. The Caps had all day there. And Henrik should've closed the legs better.

PanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 10:55 PM
dedalus

Quote:
That's what happens when BOTH teams are gassed, but one team has an actual top line.
We agree. Washington has an actual top line. That's why they're the better team. Given enough time, the better team is going to win the great majority of the time. In the regular season, that's a non-issue. The shootout prevents it, and can even make a team's win record look reasonably accomplished.

Once the skills competition is put aside, though, you have to win with talented hockey players playing hockey. Washington did that tonight.

Quote:
You guys are making it sound like the Caps were playing beautiful hockey in OT. Semin has a great shot and he used it.
I never said anything remotely resembling "the Caps were playing beautiful hockey in OT," so I'll assume that was directed elsewhere.

Old
04-13-2011, 10:56 PM
PanMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
Honestly, I"d be surprised if the Rangers score one powerplay goal in this series. The caps have great PK and our PP is brutal.
That's a good idea actually. Never considered it.

EDIT - wanted to quote the post about resting staal on powerplays.

PanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 10:57 PM
3Four3

Quote:
We agree. Washington has an actual top line. That's why they're the better team. Given enough time, the better team is going to win the great majority of the time. In the regular season, that's a non-issue. The shootout prevents it, and can even make a team's win record look reasonably accomplished.

Once the skills competition is put aside, though, you have to win with talented hockey players playing hockey. Washington did that tonight.
You are aware that the Rangers didn't win 3 of their games in a shootout against the Caps, right?

3Four3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 10:58 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantes19 View Post
I think that's really easy for you to say in retrospect, from your computer chair.

In the heat of the moment, that play is completely understandable. Going up the boards is most always the safe play. You can't crucify him for making that play -- he wanted to get the puck out, and going back around the boards certainly carries risk with it as well.

I think you've got to cut the guy some slack considering he had what, like half a second to decide?
no its not, its a terrible play when there are 3 people there one directly on the boards with NOBODY in between to protect you if you screw up. I play defense myself, and I wouldnt try to make that play for damn sure. it was a rookie mistake that a guy like staal almost never makes. again, it happens, move along.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 11:00 PM
johnnydollaz89*
7 More Wins!!

Send a message via AIM to johnnydollaz89*
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjimmyg89 View Post
Still saying that was a no goal. Refs should have blown it dead. The puck was CLEARLY not visible. I thought that if you can't see the puck you're supposed to blow the play dead. People saying the posts bailed Hank out, how do you know it wasn't the only thing they could shoot at and if it was lower, Hank wouldn't have stopped it?

This one will sting for a little while, but I'm expecting them to get right back on the horse and play Rangers hockey on Friday. Nothing more, nothing less. Series is going back to MSG 1-1
i thought that also but apparently when u play against Ovechkin, Bettman will let **** like that happen, but as soon as the puck wasnt visible for Nuervith it was blown dead, just open your eyes guys, sports is rigged and fixed, pay attention and you will see. Any1 else notice the missed calls tonight on the Capitals, there was one point a Ranger got grabbed on his neck from behind, behind our net, i didnt know you can grab some1 like that? Must be a new rule

johnnydollaz89* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 11:00 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:

I never said anything remotely resembling "the Caps were playing beautiful hockey in OT," so I'll assume that was directed elsewhere.
Not you necessarily, but your post made it sound like the Caps won because they're far and away the better hockey team, which with how the game came down to I can't agree with. Having to take that long to score the winning goal doesn't make them the more talented team, IMO. I take every part of our team except when it comes to top lines every day. We need a top line but we're not blown away by this club at all.

Old
04-13-2011, 11:02 PM
NYR Viper

Replace Christensen with Richards and this team all of a sudden becomes a much different team.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Four3 View Post
You are aware that the Rangers didn't win 3 of their games in a shootout against the Caps, right?
I am.

You are aware that's not the point, right?

Old
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by msg View Post
I would take Staal off the powerplay. Thats where you should be resting him a little during a game. Its not like he is great on the powerplay.
Said it in the GDT: having no offensive defenseman just kills this team, especially on the PP. Unfortunately, Staal and Girardi will have to remain on the PP because there are no better options (although I think Gilroy could see some PP time after tonight). Staal is really more second PP unit material at this point, and his offense slowed down in the second half of the season.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 11:04 PM
3Four3

Quote:
I am.

You are aware that's not the point, right?
No, it actually is a good counter to your point of trying to convey the Caps as the "better team."

The "better team" does not get smoked 7-0 and 6-0. 1 goal game, let's talk; blowouts, keep it to yourself.

3Four3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 11:04 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnydollaz89 View Post
i thought that also but apparently when u play against Ovechkin, Bettman will let **** like that happen, but as soon as the puck wasnt visible for Nuervith it was blown dead, just open your eyes guys, sports is rigged and fixed, pay attention and you will see. Any1 else notice the missed calls tonight on the Capitals, there was one point a Ranger got grabbed on his neck from behind, behind our net, i didnt know you can grab some1 like that? Must be a new rule
That's right, it's the people who DON'T see the conspiracy who are the crazy ones!

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 11:06 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Marian Gaborik, no goals in his last 10 games. If he's not hurt, then I don't know what's up with him.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 11:09 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Not you necessarily, but your post made it sound like the Caps won because they're far and away the better hockey team, which with how the game came down to I can't agree with.
How did my post make it sound like that? I used the phrase: "better team," and that's all. Don't put words in my mouth and then claim my post implied them.

Quote:
I take every part of our team except when it comes to top lines every day.
Fair enough. I'd take their top 6 over the rest of our team, especially in the playoffs when the bench is shortened.

Quote:
We need a top line but we're not blown away by this club at all.
Okay. Since I never said "we're blown away by this club," we have no disagreement.