HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

POTG & GBR: ECQF Game 1 @ Washington Capitals

View Poll Results: Player of the Game: ECQF Game 1 @ Washington Capitals
Brian Boyle 2 1.15%
Ruslan Fedotenko 0 0%
Matt Gilroy 10 5.75%
Dan Girardi 6 3.45%
Henrik Lundqvist 135 77.59%
Ryan McDonagh 1 0.57%
Vaclav Prospal 5 2.87%
Brandon Prust 4 2.30%
Michael Sauer 2 1.15%
Marc Staal 5 2.87%
Other 4 2.30%
Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-14-2011, 07:51 AM
AJRanger

vCash: 500
Thought Gilroy played well last night, Wolski too. Dubi was invisible.

AJRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 07:52 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeHat View Post
Wow, you're all acting as if Staal gets it out of the zone or if the Rangers made it to the 2nd OT period they would've magically raced down to the other end and scored.

Really....the difference in skill is very alarming. The Rangers can outwork themas much as they can and Henrik can continue to be King....but you gotta create some legit scoring chances in order to beat these guys. And to completely come down on the team's top dman who has shut down top players night in and night out after one bad defensive zone gaffe, really, **** happens when you play that many minutes. Can't be perfect all the time.

Solid road game, hoping for more offense and a team thats more settled in for Game 2. Hopefully those playoff nerves are out of the way now.
The difference in skill between goaltenders is alarming as well.

We didn't test Neuvirth and he left us at least three open nets to shoot at and we missed. If we tested him more he'd collapse. That's a testament to the Caps defense as well as a testament to our offense not being ready yet.

We're not winning the Cup, but I would love for Hank to eliminate the Caps and their bandwagon.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 08:03 AM
In The Flesh

Any chance Avery gets in game 2 and Torts actually gives him minutes?

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 08:14 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Wolf View Post
You mean the play where Ovi loses the puck and knocks Girardi on his ass? Sure, let's heap blame on a guy who gives his all night in and night out for obeying the laws of gravity and physics. Give it a rest, Ola.
Yeah, exactly that situation. He shouldn't get knocked on his ass, and he deserves the blame for it.

It's kind of the D's job not to get knocked on your arse by the big bad forwards.

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 08:19 AM
nyrleetch

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Flesh View Post
He should. But I will lose all faith in Torts if he opts for Gilroy on FWD with Eminger on D. I'd like to see EC scratched but that won't happen. Nothing against MZA but if Avery boards that guy in the first period that's his last shift of the game.

nyrleetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 08:24 AM
pwoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLundqvistXXX View Post
I'm gonna continue to whine and cry refs. You all saw Ovechkin's "goal" that they all praised him for. At least our team had got a legitimate goal.

Shouldve been a 1-0 Shutout for the league leader in that department.
I agree.

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 08:27 AM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

We played a good game against a VERY good team. A team that is not only talented, but has learned from past experience how to play smarter game.

I can't knock our guys becasue they bascially play the kind of game they HAVE to play to have any chance against teams stacked with talent and speed. It's uphill all the way. The only time I get annoyed with the Rangers is when they don't make the full effort which is not that often these days.

Would still like to see us win one or 2 in this series but it wont be easy unless the caps slip a little.

This is what Sather has given us, and Torts has his hands full trying to keep up.

onward...

04-14-2011, 08:40 AM
Vito Andolini

The Good: Lundqvist proves once again that any discussions about whether or not we "need" him are premature and completely ridiculous at this point.

The Bad: Gaborik continues to look average at best.

The Redden: Dubinsky. I'm not going to cut him any slack out here...with Callahan out of the lineup, he needs to be an emotional leader. He wasn't. In fact he was downright invisible, and it's nothing new. He was invisible too often down the stetch run as well.

Really wanted this game...If we're going to beat the Cap it's going to be a long, draining type of series and fatigue will no doubt play a factor if we take it deep with them. Taking this game when we were badly outplayed for extended stretches would have been a huge victory...BUT, it didn't happen so the hell with it. On to the next one...

Vito Andolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 08:42 AM
Riche16
McCready guitar god

Same ol, same ol as far as I'm concerned.

We can ***** and cry about the goal but but if the shoe was on the other foot we would be praising our player for not quitting and talking about how gritty, garbage goals count the same as pretty ones.

Bottom line, this team has been trying to win 1-0 games with Hank for YEARS now. Sometimes he can pull it out, sometimes he can't.

But just get him 2 or 3 and seasons and playoffs go down in history differently.

He's the POG IMHO... always is it seems.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 08:50 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Special View Post
We played a good game against a VERY good team. A team that is not only talented, but has learned from past experience how to play smarter game.

I can't knock our guys becasue they bascially play the kind of game they HAVE to play to have any chance against teams stacked with talent and speed. It's uphill all the way. The only time I get annoyed with the Rangers is when they don't make the full effort which is not that often these days.

Would still like to see us win one or 2 in this series but it wont be easy unless the caps slip a little.

This is what Sather has given us, and Torts has his hands full trying to keep up.

onward...
I agree with this assessment. Give credit to the Caps, they are very talented and can prove that the Rangers are not the only hard-working team in the league.

Hank has to significantly outplay Neuvirth for us to win this series, and last night he did not. Not a knock against Hank, I don't blame him for either goal, but it should be noted that Neuvirth also played well.

Neuvirth seems like the kind of goalie who makes the position look easier than it is. He doesn't have to make spectacular saves because he's always in position, and the puck stuck to him like velcro last night. His save on Gaborik in the second period from point-blank range was key.

Still, he is a rookie and tomorrow night will be only his second career playoff game, so perhaps if we put a couple past him...or put one past him early...he can get rattled.

Like I said, we need to exploit our perceived advantage in goal. If Neuvirth is going to negate that we're in trouble.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 08:51 AM
Wolfy*
The Hobbit Rules!

At least Zuccarello didn't get killed. He took a penalty and played less than 8 minutes, sounds like he didn't have a good game. I guess Avery will replace him in the next one.

Wolfy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 08:56 AM
truebluegoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riche16 View Post
Same ol, same ol as far as I'm concerned.

We can ***** and cry about the goal but but if the shoe was on the other foot we would be praising our player for not quitting and talking about how gritty, garbage goals count the same as pretty ones.
I wouldn't. Maybe I am biased because I am a goalie, but I have always hated those types of goals. Those goals come about because the NHL wants more offense, so they allow players to take two-three whacks at the goalie before blowing the play dead. Whistle should have been blown, if it was the rangers I wouldn't be as pissed obviously, but I would still recognize a ****ed up call.

truebluegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 08:56 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Savvy Lee View Post
They played an excellent game and they dictated everything. Aside from the Gaborik chance and the Gilroy goal, everything was from the outside. If you ask me, I think they put on a defensive clinic.
If you want to call collapsing 5 to the net and interfering like crazy on every play a defensive clinic, then sure. Caps were playing the sit back block shots, play tight defense, get a turnover and go the other way style of hockey. Reminded me of classic Devils.

I loved how right before the game winner, a Ranger clears the puck out. The puck was half way down the ice, Rangers player is going full speed to chase after it, and a Caps player (this is still in the Rangers zone) cuts across the ice and takes the Ranger out of the play. The puck was long gone, no call, about 15 seconds later, the Caps scored.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 08:59 AM
Pugs35

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Flesh View Post
Who cares? People act like the 12th forward is going to make or break a game and argue about it every time.

Meanwhile, Avery just isn't that good anymore for this team. Unless you like going offside.

Pugs35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 09:07 AM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugs35 View Post
Who cares? People act like the 12th forward is going to make or break a game and argue about it every time.

Meanwhile, Avery just isn't that good anymore for this team. Unless you like going offside.
The playoffs are a whole different animal and the Rangers just weren't physical enough last night.

Avery should be in next game. Every forward can make a difference. You were probably saying "people act like Gilroy is going to make or break a game" well last night, he almost did.

Once again, certain guys step up in the playoffs, everything i've seen from avery in the past, he's been one of those guys for the rangers.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 09:07 AM
skroob**

As a "career" defenseman, nothing annoys me more (or gets D into more trouble) than trying to get the puck out of the zone and ALL of your forwards are 100 feet ahead of you, with 3 or 4 opposing players between you and them.

Its a no-win situation, and we saw what happens last night in that very case.

Staal is not the only one to blame on that goal.

skroob** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 09:08 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Need to see more from Dubinsky. Guy is a playoff animal, usually.

You can tell Drury really cares. Guy may be about as interesting to interview as a tomato, but his effort on the ice is undeniable.

If the guy make 1.5 a year he'd be one of my favorite players.

If this was a 4-5 seed series no one would be too freaked about being down 1-0. As the visitor you want to try to split the opening away series, and I think we have a decent chance of doing that friday.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 09:16 AM
1940rip

Yeah, the fact that the Caps are playing a fairly disciplined, defense first style doesn't bode well for us. I like them when they're free-wheeling and giving us chance after chance, because we need more chances than most to actually cash in. They were really good taking away lanes and blocking shots and they stayed patient...which scares me because THEY have the scoring talent to bury chances.

That said, they out chanced us all game long and if not for missed open nets and 2 crossbars, this game is easily 4-1. We didn't pressure Neuvirth nearly enough and I don't recall him having to stop a single rebound shot...it was one and done all night long. In the OT, we just looked spent. So much for our conditioning...I hope it was just the crash from the anxiety buildup of many of these guys playing in their first playoff game. Additionally, the one whistle aside, we got the benefit of a bunch of blown calls and if we would have won that game, Henrik would've been arrested for grand larceny.

All that aside, this team has shown all year that they can put a loss behind them and come back stronger...let's hope that's the case on Friday night.

LGR

1940rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 09:16 AM
WeWillWinTonight

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by skroob View Post
As a "career" defenseman, nothing annoys me more (or gets D into more trouble) than trying to get the puck out of the zone and ALL of your forwards are 100 feet ahead of you, with 3 or 4 opposing players between you and them.

Exactly you don't break out of your end with guys in the neutral zone, basic puck support.

WeWillWinTonight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 09:18 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skroob View Post

As someone who has played defense a handful of times, I completely agree with this statement.

Old
04-14-2011, 09:22 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1940rip View Post
Yeah, the fact that the Caps are playing a fairly disciplined, defense first style doesn't bode well for us. I like them when they're free-wheeling and giving us chance after chance, because we need more chances than most to actually cash in. They were really good taking away lanes and blocking shots and they stayed patient...which scares me because THEY have the scoring talent to bury chances.

That said, they out chanced us all game long and if not for missed open nets and 2 crossbars, this game is easily 4-1. We didn't pressure Neuvirth nearly enough and I don't recall him having to stop a single rebound shot...it was one and done all night long. In the OT, we just looked spent. So much for our conditioning...I hope it was just the crash from the anxiety buildup of many of these guys playing in their first playoff game. Additionally, the one whistle aside, we got the benefit of a bunch of blown calls and if we would have won that game, Henrik would've been arrested for grand larceny.

All that aside, this team has shown all year that they can put a loss behind them and come back stronger...let's hope that's the case on Friday night.

LGR
Neuvirth deserves credit for that...he didn't allow many rebounds at all. He seems to absorb every puck.

Old
04-14-2011, 09:24 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Neuvirth was hardly challenged. He didn't really have to make any big saves. The Gaborik save was shot right into him.

Old
04-14-2011, 09:25 AM
Fleury4ever

The Rangers need to find a way to spend more time in the Caps zone. If they don't they are in danger of wearing out Lundqvist and the D and just collapsing.

Yes Lundqvist has to be awesome to win, but the team can't play like he's just going to take care of everything himself.

And yea, Ovechkin goal was sketchy, I've never been clear on the rules for that type of thing, but when you are essentially pushing the goalie's leg back across the line it seems to be outside of the spirit of the rules.

Fleury4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 09:30 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
Neuvirth was hardly challenged. He didn't really have to make any big saves. The Gaborik save was shot right into him.
This is the typical reaction to a goalie who plays a sound positional game and does not allow rebounds. He makes it look easier than it is.

Old
04-14-2011, 09:32 AM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
Yup, the best save he had all night, imo, was the one in overtime on anisimov, then gaborik, who seemed like he couldn't lift the puck over his pad. I really thought the game would end right their.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote