HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Kovalev in Pittsburgh would be a disaster ?

Closed Thread

Old
07-10-2004, 12:52 AM
Zednik

vCash: 500
Kovalev in Pittsburgh would be a disaster ?

With Kovalev signing in Pittsburgh (rumor), do you think it would affect us badly ?

I mean, Pittsburgh would become a top-8 team in the East, and that could cost us a playoff spot. WHat do you think ?

Old
07-10-2004, 12:57 AM
Traitor8

Penguins wouldn't be a top 8 team in the East..

Look at their defense and goaltending..

Old
07-10-2004, 01:07 AM
not quite yoda

Agreed. PGH doesn't cut it. Mario is always injured.

Furthermore, if there is a season next year, it seems that Boston is as good as dead.

Remember people, PGH had the worst record in the NHL last season. All they have done is sign Recchi so far. One player who is past his prime.

I would think that Atlanta is far more of a threat. Buffalo will be competitive for the 8 spot. Florida is young and growing. Fear them more.

Old
07-10-2004, 01:49 AM
EaGLE1

Quote:
Originally Posted by espion
Agreed. PGH doesn't cut it. Mario is always injured.

Furthermore, if there is a season next year, it seems that Boston is as good as dead.

Remember people, PGH had the worst record in the NHL last season. All they have done is sign Recchi so far. One player who is past his prime.

I would think that Atlanta is far more of a threat. Buffalo will be competitive for the 8 spot. Florida is young and growing. Fear them more.

Yeah. I agree. But if they get a goalie, a top 4 d-man & Kovalev than, they could make playoff...But Kovy is not enough. They will be good on offence, like Atlanta last year but they will miss something to be a good team.

Old
07-10-2004, 02:15 AM
Traitor8

No they won't ....How many matches will Mario play? Who will carry line 2-3-4 ?
Stop worrying..the season isn't even close to starting.

Old
07-10-2004, 07:03 AM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zednik
With Kovalev signing in Pittsburgh (rumor), do you think it would affect us badly ?

I mean, Pittsburgh would become a top-8 team in the East, and that could cost us a playoff spot. WHat do you think ?
You can beleive it, but personally, I think they might have a shot at #8 only if they can get an other top-4 Dman, if they can sign Kovalev, if they can sign Malkin, if Fleury plays up to the level he did at the begining of last year on a consistent basis and if Mario plays all season long. Lots of "if's" here. And even then, I don't see them finishing past us.

The Habs will have an improved defense and improved offense (just the fact Bonk replaces Juneau on the 3rd line puts us ahead).

No need to panic. It would be nice to see Kovalev play with Koivu and Zednik, but it would be equally nice to see Higgins or Hossa steal that role at training camp and run with it. Or Kostitsyn...

The depth of our system gives us other choices. No more washed up vets, we won't struggle to make the playoffs no matter what happens from here on.

That's my beleifs anyway. I don't think of myself as an overoptimistic fan but I think there's lots of reasons to be enthusiastic about next year's lineup as is, Kovalev or not.

Old
07-10-2004, 08:15 AM
aHab

If Kovalev signs with Pittsburgh imo it wouldn't be a disaster, but it would mean that Gainey has to sign one of the remaining UFA top line wingers, or get one via trade.

One of Canadiens biggest needs is a legitimate top line winger. And without Kovalev there isn't a single player in Habs organisation at the moment who's up for the job. I'm guessing it'll take at least two more seasons to develop one of these guys (Kastitsyn, Perezhogin, Higgins, Hossa) into a legitimate NHL caliber top line player, with luck.

Zednik is NOT a legitimate top line winger in NHL. Julien might be forced to play him in that role, but Zednik has never produced like top line player should, and imo never will. He'll turn 29 next season. Zednik a good player to have in 2nd line.

As for playoffs spot, I don't think Pens is the team we're competing against. I think it could be time to look a bit higher than that 8th spot...

Old
07-10-2004, 08:29 AM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Where is the mircale money going to come from? They had to cut players last year cause they have no moeny to pay players.

Old
07-10-2004, 08:51 AM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Even with Kovalev i dont think the Pens will be batteling for a playoff spot. I could see them finishing aroung 9th or 10th, but not in the top 8. Thats not to say thats its not possible. The Flames are a prime example.

They still lack experience and skill on D, and the rest of their forwards after Lemiuex, Recchi, and Kovavalev(if he signs) are still very young. The pens will be better, but playoff better???? I dont think so...........imo anyways.

Old
07-10-2004, 10:02 AM
jimnevets

well, this is one of those believe it when you see it deals

wasn't it only a few days ago that someone posted a story where Kovalev's agent mentioned that he was going to work harder to try to get a deal done with Montreal? Plus Montreal offered 4.5 million per year and from what I read were open to increasing that offer. So unless Kovalev wants to play so bad in Pittsburgh that he will take a big pay cut then Pittsburgh must be offering him over 5 million a year.

Maybe he is willing to go to Pittsburgh for less, who knows? If he really doesn't want to play in Montreal though, it is much better if he leaves

Old
07-10-2004, 10:15 AM
Patty Roy

Quote:

It would be much worse if Kovalev signed with the Bruins, Sabres, etc...

He's harmless with the Pens. They will improve and get a little closer to the pack, but that team will still be bottome third in the East.

Old
07-10-2004, 10:31 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
It's hard to call. There's still so much time to go in the FA wars, and even once we see the final rosters, chemistry and coaching and all that is probably going to be the deciding factor on a lot of teams, and that's just as impossible to predict.

I'm a bit more worried right now about Atlanta and Florida. Things are going to get really crowded in the Eastern Conference. With those two teams moving up, and maybe Buffalo also, and you start looking at better lineups in Pittsburgh and a harder push from Carolina... it sounds like it's wide open. On paper, especially if we don't add any more players, I don't see us as playoff shoo-ins by any stretch. And if we don't get the unexpected seasons we had from guys like Ryder, Ribeiro, and Souray...or another big injury to Koivu... hey, we have as much chance of being with the Caps and Rangers as we do of being in the playoff race.

But that's doom-and-gloom from a distance, and a lot can change. Of course, it's not such a bad situation to be in, with the 2005 draft crop and all...

Old
07-10-2004, 10:36 AM
Squeaky

Why in the world would Pittsburg want Kovalev now? All they have to do is suck for one more year, and they are set! They got last place this past season, and in return they got to draft Malkin, who is reportedly going to be fantastic. Do it again, and they either get Crosby or as a worst-case scenario the second overall pick in a strong draft. If I were them, I would totally be thinking about getting my shot at Crosby, because it would just be so easy! All they have to do is have one more serious rebuilding year, and develop some of the younger talent they've got aorund. Once Crosby is gone, then I would start signing people in earnest.

Old
07-10-2004, 12:48 PM
craig1

Because even without Kovalev, the Pens are not likely to finish in the bottom 5 again. Playoff team without him......doubtful. With him, close in and possibly be in the playoff race...possible.

The Pens had one of the best records in the league over the past few months. The kids have developed nicely and they are getting some guy named Lemieux back (for part of the season at least, but he has now had 2 years to rest the hip, which is supposedly taken care of now). So getting Crosby can only happen if there is no season next year. They would be better off giving their top prospects the ability to play with Kovalev/Lemieux/Recchi (who are all willing to help develop them) and learn a thing or 2, then force them to struggle through and learn for themselves. Personally, I think that was Edmonton's problem in the mid to late 1990's. They had great prospect talent, but learing from Buchberger (who is a great leader) was not helpful for skilled players.

Old
07-10-2004, 12:48 PM
Habsaku

They might have a killer powerplay, but they'd still let around 4 goals a game so I wouldnt be too worried. Atlanta didnt make the playoffs with a much better team.

Old
07-10-2004, 12:51 PM
craig1

......Besides, Kovalev had cult status here in Pittsburgh during his time here. He was upset to leave, and has been quoted as saying how much he liked playing there......He's already won a cup, and the cost of living in Pittsburgh is low (not to mention that he could take a lower salary and still clear more than plaing for a Canadian team due to the tax difference).

Old
07-10-2004, 12:54 PM
craig1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsaku
They might have a killer powerplay, but they'd still let around 4 goals a game so I wouldnt be too worried. Atlanta didnt make the playoffs with a much better team.
The defence was much improved over the last few months of the season. They added Jackman which was a hugh boost to their defence (at least keeping th puck out of the zone was a lot less of a problem). They are getting Rozival back after missing the year, and Melichar was forced to play all of last year with one arm due to his shoulder surgery......

That's a lot to get back. It's nothing like what Montreal had in the 70's, nor is it anything like NJ had in the late 90's, but it is at least average in the NHL.

Old
07-10-2004, 12:59 PM
Habsaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig1
The defence was much improved over the last few months of the season. They added Jackman which was a hugh boost to their defence (at least keeping th puck out of the zone was a lot less of a problem). They are getting Rozival back after missing the year, and Melichar was forced to play all of last year with one arm due to his shoulder surgery......

That's a lot to get back. It's nothing like what Montreal had in the 70's, nor is it anything like NJ had in the late 90's, but it is at least average in the NHL.
I partially agree, its better but it's still below average. IMO, its a lot weaker then what we have here in Montreal and many people dont like our defense. It might get you up a few spots in the standings, but nothing significant because injuries happen most of the time and Pittsburgh still lack an impressive amount of quality players.

Old
07-10-2004, 01:09 PM
craig1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsaku
I partially agree, its better but it's still below average. IMO, its a lot weaker then what we have here in Montreal and many people dont like our defense. It might get you up a few spots in the standings, but nothing significant because injuries happen most of the time and Pittsburgh still lack an impressive amount of quality players.
But the whole point is that they are most likely not in contention for the Crosby sweepstakes for next year.....and Kovalev can only help with the kids by giving them a 3rd person to learn from.....all 3 have totally different styles, and will benefit the different prospects that the Pens have.

Old
07-10-2004, 01:16 PM
Habsaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig1
But the whole point is that they are most likely not in contention for the Crosby sweepstakes for next year.....and Kovalev can only help with the kids by giving them a 3rd person to learn from.....all 3 have totally different styles, and will benefit the different prospects that the Pens have.
Agreed, I think the pens would make a tremendous stride towards having a good team. They have a few players to work with but the problem is quality depth, health and age. Recchi and Lemieux arent young players anymore. Even though Mario is practically a god to me, I dont think he'll be able to play a full season. Doesnt matter anyway, as long as the team builds on its late season run.

Old
07-10-2004, 02:24 PM
Luigi Lemieux

the powerplay could really be something.

in 2004, the penguins had the #1 pp in the NHL WITHOUT Lemieux, Recchi, Kovalev. With them it could be even better.

Closed Thread