HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bertuzzi provides a big hint for Holland

Old
04-14-2011, 12:11 PM
Probert

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Probert
Bertuzzi provides a big hint for Holland

A few weeks ago the Wings were down 3-0 to the Nashville Predators. Bertuzzi fights Shane O'Brien twice, the Wings are sparked and win the game 4-3.

Last night the Wings are down 1-0 after the first period. Bertuzzi fights Klesla, the Wings are sparked, score two big goals, and win the game 4-2.

Hey Holland, here's your sign buddy! We don't have to carry a goon, but for the love of hockey and inspired Red Wing players and fans everywhere, as soon as you have the cap room, add someone to the team who will fight regularly to lift this team up.

Yes we have a great team, but no we don't always play with the emotion we need to get through difficult games. This is where having a guy like Bertuzzi who is willing to drop the gloves pays off. Why isn't Abdelkader doing the same thing? Waiting another year for some more "off-season" boxing lessons? Why the hell isn't Ericsson doing the same thing? Waiting another year for his balls to drop? We can't rely on Bertuzzi alone to do this for us.

Bertuzzi is officially my favorite Red Wing player.

Probert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 12:21 PM
icKx
What now?

Assuming Bertuzzi dropping the gloves was the actual reason for the Wings' spark in each of those games it only works because nobody on the team normally fights.

Soon as you add a goon it stops being a rallying cry, but for some reason this city is in love with the idea of getting one

icKx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 12:22 PM
Ricelund
We like our team.

The problem is there aren't that many players out there who will fight regularly and positively contribute in other aspects of the game.

Ricelund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 12:35 PM
14ari13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Probert View Post
A few weeks ago the Wings were down 3-0 to the Nashville Predators. Bertuzzi fights Shane O'Brien twice, the Wings are sparked and win the game 4-3.

Last night the Wings are down 1-0 after the first period. Bertuzzi fights Klesla, the Wings are sparked, score two big goals, and win the game 4-2.

Hey Holland, here's your sign buddy! We don't have to carry a goon, but for the love of hockey and inspired Red Wing players and fans everywhere, as soon as you have the cap room, add someone to the team who will fight regularly to lift this team up.

Yes we have a great team, but no we don't always play with the emotion we need to get through difficult games. This is where having a guy like Bertuzzi who is willing to drop the gloves pays off. Why isn't Abdelkader doing the same thing? Waiting another year for some more "off-season" boxing lessons? Why the hell isn't Ericsson doing the same thing? Waiting another year for his balls to drop? We can't rely on Bertuzzi alone to do this for us.

Bertuzzi is officially my favorite Red Wing player.
The fans loved it, they cheered a lot and they chanted his name. That was great to hear.
The fans were great last night.

14ari13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 12:55 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rice View Post
The problem is there aren't that many players out there who will fight regularly and positively contribute in other aspects of the game.
Bingo. No one has said they don't want a guy who can fight, we just don't want a guy who can't do anything else.

04-14-2011, 01:00 PM
Harnessed in Slums

They've got a few guys who can do it in Bert, Abdelkader and Ericsson. They'll soon add another in Brendan Smith. I agree that you want guys who can fight but they have to have some game as well. While we're on the topic let's not forget about Mitchell Callahan who's still a few years away from being a regular in the lineup. There are guys in the lineup right now who can fight if necessary, with that being said it was great to see Bertuzzi raise his level of physical play.

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 01:03 PM
ashenhigh

We don't want a goon next season, just a bottom-six tough as nails grinder who will drop the gloves when needed.

ashenhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 01:06 PM
BELLE TIRE

vCash: 129
Quote:
Yeah, and another thing to note is that the recent fights have been due to frustration built up during the game. Those types of fights can really lift a team. I wouldn't want this team to hire a guy who'll just fight for the sake of fighting (i.e. staged fights).

BELLE TIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 01:14 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter Colt View Post
Yeah, and another thing to note is that the recent fights have been due to frustration built up during the game. Those types of fights can really lift a team. I wouldn't want this team to hire a guy who'll just fight for the sake of fighting (i.e. staged fights).
Like the failed Norton experiment from a few years back?

Winger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 01:25 PM
newfy

Quote:
This is a myth wings fans like to repeat as a way to believe there team is pretty soft because they dont have room for a skilless goon.

I can name a lot of tough guys who can play hockey just as well or better than Drew Miller or Mike Modano, a Boogard isnt what the wings need but get me Konopka or Tim Jackman.

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 01:32 PM
NINETEEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
This is a myth wings fans like to repeat as a way to believe there team is pretty soft because they dont have room for a skilless goon.

I can name a lot of tough guys who can play hockey just as well or better than Drew Miller or Mike Modano, a Boogard isnt what the wings need but get me Konopka or Tim Jackman.
Konopka? Haha.

NINETEEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 01:34 PM
icKx
What now?

And the other myth is that the Wings are a "soft" team simply because they don't have a guy who will fight at the slightest provocation.

Old
04-14-2011, 01:35 PM
67coach

Look, I officially have a man crush on Todd Bertuzzi, he was brilliant in those two games because he chose the right momments to do what he did, not because the Wings need a goon.

let's face it, if you are winning a series 3 games to 1 why the heck would you goon it up? Close out the team and move on.

Babcock said in a quote this morning that this was the first Playoff game he had coached with the Wings that had a fight in it.

67coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 01:38 PM
Ricelund
We like our team.

Quote:
Okay, go ahead. Go through http://capgeek.com/free_agents.php this list and name them.

Ricelund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 01:39 PM
icKx
What now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67coach View Post
Babcock said in a quote this morning that this was the first Playoff game he had coached with the Wings that had a fight in it.
I don't think either really qualify as a fight, but last year:

*Edit - Oh, and same game:

Last edited by icKx: 04-14-2011 at 01:44 PM.
Old
04-14-2011, 01:47 PM
Probert

Send a message via MSN to Probert
I'd like to repeat what I said in my original post - the Wings do not need a goon! I do wish we'd replace some of the guys on our roster with guys can play as well as drop the gloves when the time is right. In the meantime, maybe Abby and Ericsson can watch Bert and learn a thing or two about the right time and place to drop the gloves. It absolutely CAN change the momentum of a game. Again, the Wings do not need a one-dimensional goon. I am very happy that we have young guys in the system who will bring some of this to the table as they mature and hopefully make the squad.

That's all.

Probert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 01:52 PM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

Quote:

Two is "a lot"? And I'm not even sure those two even qualify as guys who are as good or better than Miller. In fact, I would have to say they are not. And if they are as good or better than Modano, it's probably only because of his injury this year.

In reply to the original post, where would this team be improved with a regular fighter? The Wings are up 1-0 in their first round series as a #3 seed. Would a regular fighter instead have us up 1-0 as a #1 or #2 seed? I doubt it. It seems that if Bertuzzi has proven anything, it's the value of having a player who's pretty good at hockey (meaning he's a shoe-in for the playoffs) and occasionally fights. And I think he's scheduled to be back next season.

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 01:53 PM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Konopka would be great, great face off guy as well.

mindfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 02:02 PM
silkyjohnson50

Quote:
Originally Posted by icKx View Post
I don't think either really qualify as a fight, but last year:

*Edit - Oh, and same game:

In addition, i clearly remember McCarty fighting either McCormick or McLeod against Colorado in 2008.

silkyjohnson50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 02:07 PM
DetBigWangs

Quote:
Konopka has 9 points in 82 games. Miller has 18 in 67. In order for a fighter to qualify as "hockey useful" he should at least approach a waiver pickup's production.

DetBigWangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 02:18 PM
14ari13

If Dastsyuk can fight so could other players too.
Ericsson, Stuart, Salei, Bertuzzi, Helm, Abdelkader ...

14ari13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 02:20 PM
babcockscowl

Bertuzzi for Conn Smythe

babcockscowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 02:27 PM
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfly View Post
Konopka would be great, great face off guy as well.
Yeah, he's only good at that. I would prefer someone like Prust tbh.

The Rangers have some really good players with a mix of skill and grit. I like Dubinsky, Callahan and Prust. Staal isn't too bad either.

ProPAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 02:31 PM
silkyjohnson50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPAIN View Post
Yeah, he's only good at that. I would prefer someone like Prust tbh.

The Rangers have some really good players with a mix of skill and grit. I like Dubinsky, Callahan and Prust. Staal isn't too bad either.
Callahan and Helm would be awesome together.

silkyjohnson50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 02:34 PM
slapshots1515

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
Bingo. No one has said they don't want a guy who can fight, we just don't want a guy who can't do anything else.
Precise. I want the closest thing to Darren McCarty that can be found-and honestly, Bertuzzi isn't that far off. Main difference I think is Bertuzzi had those few years with Morrison and Naslund, and everyone expected more from him after that.

slapshots1515 is offline   Reply With Quote