HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wideman

Old
03-27-2011, 02:27 AM
piercehannigan

vCash: 500
Wideman

This guy makes me nervous. What was he thinking on that 3-1 on. He let that Hab walk in on a mini breakaway. He definitely has made some other dumb plays. I'm just not sure he's really paying off. I know people like him and like the minutes he's getting, but I just don't know.

P.s. what's the deal with his left hand/arm after that fall/hit into the boards.

piercehannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 05:25 AM
CapsWolverinesUSA

Wideman is as advertised. He's Mike Green-lite. He is solid with the puck for the most part, a positive offensive contributor, and prone to the occasional significant mental mistake. He is what he is. You take the good with the bad.

CapsWolverinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 06:57 AM
txpd

in every two on one or three on one the defenseman's first job is to prevent the pass and let the goalie take the puck carrier. particularly on a three on one, the dman doesnt care if the carrier skates all the way to the net. at least the goalie knows not to worry about the pass and play the shooter.

did they score?

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 08:40 AM
Ovechkins Wodka

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
in every two on one or three on one the defenseman's first job is to prevent the pass and let the goalie take the puck carrier. particularly on a three on one, the dman doesnt care if the carrier skates all the way to the net. at least the goalie knows not to worry about the pass and play the shooter.

did they score?
yup. on odd man rushes D mans job is to play the pass and let the goalie play the shot.

Ovechkins Wodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 08:48 AM
Dan Watkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechkins Wodka View Post
yup. on odd man rushes D mans job is to play the pass and let the goalie play the shot.
I never quite understood this line of thinking. I've played goalie for 15 years and would always prefer that the D put some pressure on the puck carrier. Cause a lot of the time, he'll fumble the puck or make a bad pass or something, negating the chance. If you let him walk in, you're guaranteed a breakaway against.

Dan Watkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 08:51 AM
txpd

saw the replay just now. it was actually a 1 on 3 sort of. not a 3 on 1. its pretty obvious that wideman thought one of the other approaching players was opposition and played it that way.

Old
03-27-2011, 10:52 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

There was another hab coming in from lw. A 1 on 3 became a 2 on 1. He kept his stick out to take away pass and kept himself in position so the puck carrier had only half the net to attack.... Making it easier on holtby. As the puck carrier attacked the net wide's pivoted and attacked him. It's a really ackward situation when two teammates bail on you like that. But he can't attack as last man back in that scenario with an open lw.

As far as what our goalie friend would like, I'm sure you didn't have too many NHL players attackig you. . You can get away with attacking at lower levels cause yeah, we don't have their skills or vision.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 12:05 PM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

It looked to me like Wideman assumed Gordon was going to pressure the Hab, so he backed off to cover the pass. It looked like a bad play at first, but the more I watched it the less it seemed so. Personally I like what he adds to the team. Playing him in a smaller role could help as well though. Adds come giddy-up from the backend but when hes played too much he has ample opportunity to make a horrible mistake in his own end.

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 12:16 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

All in all, fans tend to expect too much of a defenseman in two-on-one situations. The correct play is to cover the pass and give the goaltender the shot and the shooter.

Can a defenseman sometimes take the puck carrier and make what appears to be a spectacular defensive play by breaking it up? Yes. It's the wrong play, though, exposing everyone to the pass if it gets through. The goalie can't assume that the shooter won't shoot, and so he has to cover the shot. This exposes him to the one timer if the puck carrier gets a pass off while the defenseman is boring in on the puck carrier.

What our goaltender friend would have us believe is that it would be preferable to have the defenseman take all the pressure off his goalie by breaking up the play before it ever gets to the net. He doesn't say how the defenseman is supposed to cover two men, though, just that he should do it... somehow.

What the book on how to read a two-on-one does is turn an odd-man advantage into as close to an even matchup as you can manage in the situation. The defenseman takes his man, and the goaltender takes his man. What they are doing is evenly distributing the pressure to cover the carrier's options. Feather a pass through a defenseman's skates and stick, or make a great play on the goaltender who is covering the puck carrier's angle. If he gets beat, so be it. That is the best you can do in that situation with one or more men caught on the wrong side of the blueline. You are trusting that honed technique sees the goaltender cover all the angles after assuming the proper position. Don't get him moving around.

Oh, and without Wideman playing #1 minutes lately, the Caps would be up a creek instead of riding one of their finest stretches of play of the season. Wideman has been fantastic for a risk/reward player type, for whom pinching is part of his marching orders.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 07:25 PM
RandyHolt
I Won a Contest

vCash: 0
A quick agile post to post G, why not ask the Dman to favor the shooter a bit more?

As it is, I think the best play is to play the pass but also force the shooter wide at the same time. A good dman will play both.

Wideman may be our best D right now. He plays the Bruce system with confidence.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2011, 11:57 PM
Mickstix

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Wideman may be our best D right now.
Pardon me?

Mickstix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 05:29 AM
RandyHolt
I Won a Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickstix View Post
Pardon me?
Is Mike Green our best defensemen any time he is healthy? Best is all a matter of perception, but obviously you dont like his game.

I think Wideman has been playing great, bringing offense is part of playing defense, right? Taking risks is exactly what Bruce wants. If not, who is our best overall D man right now?

His consistently high TOI makes me think Bruce likes his game as well.

Old
03-28-2011, 06:33 AM
txpd

the caps dont score goals if the defensemen get possession in their own end and go glass and out or pass the puck only to the safe guy. that forces the caps to play dump and chase. there is no transition offense. thats hannan. thats erskine. to a lesser extent its carlson and alzner and schultz. the only player on the caps blue line that is confident of going tape to tape to a fast moving forward a between two defenders is wideman(and green and poti when healthy).

if wideman is not the caps best d right now, he certainly carries the most responsibility.

by the way, he TOI is a result of his role on the team. those are mike green's minutes. before wideman, carlson was playing those minutes. carlson proved to be relatively ineffective in green's role on pp and creating offense at even strenth while playing on the shutdown pair.

Old
03-28-2011, 08:44 AM
RandyHolt
I Won a Contest

Believe me if he kept making passes like he did in his first shift here, Carlson and Hannan would be getting some of that TOI. His role would be diminished.

What's our record with Wideman in the lineup, leading our attack from the backend?

Old
03-28-2011, 08:57 AM
Stewie G
Because Hitting!

Quote:
Believe me if he kept making passes like he did in his first shift here, Carlson and Hannan would be getting some of that TOI. His role would be diminished.

What's our record with Wideman in the lineup, leading our attack from the backend?
12-2-0 with 2.69 goals per game and a PP% of 18.2%, both of which are above the overall season pace.

Stewie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 09:07 AM
RandyHolt
I Won a Contest

Thanks stew. It may all be coincidence sure since it seems a few players ramped up their play over the last month. Our system just seems such a natural fit for Wideman, I bet he is loving it here. Our dependency on Green is decreasing, which is a good thing since we cant seem to get that bullseye off his back very easily.

Carlson and others can start our offensive attack, but with Wideman on board, teams may not even be noticing Green is out.

If we can get Green back at 100%, the hardest part may be for Bruce to figure out how to split up their roles. Like PP1. Green or bust, 50/50, move wideman to left point? he has options.

Old
03-28-2011, 09:10 AM
txpd

if green isnt in the lineup for game 1, wideman will have the bullseye on him. wideman will get hammered as if he were green. if green's in the lineup, it makes it a little harder on the opposition to break them both down.

Old
03-28-2011, 09:29 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechkins Wodka View Post
The idea that on a 2v1 the job of the defender is simply to play the pass is way too simplistic. No defenseman just plays the pass and completely leaves the shooter to the goaltender. You obviously don't want to give up the last second pass for a layup but you also are supposed to try to pressure the puck while at the same time making that pass a difficult one to make. It is a hard line to walk and the Caps' defensemen have had mixed results at best in general in doing this but they clearly are trying to do both and every NHL defensemen in the league plays that situation the same way more or less.

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 09:41 AM
txpd

on a 2v1 the defenseman's first job is not to allow the pass. the chance of scoring goes up considerably when the pass gets thru. his second job is the make sure the puck carrier can not to the middle or across in front of the goaltender. keeping him on an angle keeps the goaltender as the advantage over the shooter.

if after shutting off the pass and taking away the skater's options, then he can attempt to get close enough to the carrier to get his stick in there. this is how schultz plays 2v1's because he has a reach advantage.

Old
03-28-2011, 11:23 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
on a 2v1 the defenseman's first job is not to allow the pass. the chance of scoring goes up considerably when the pass gets thru. his second job is the make sure the puck carrier can not to the middle or across in front of the goaltender. keeping him on an angle keeps the goaltender as the advantage over the shooter.

if after shutting off the pass and taking away the skater's options, then he can attempt to get close enough to the carrier to get his stick in there. this is how schultz plays 2v1's because he has a reach advantage.
and its also how Wideman played it... perfectly as could be expected for him.

Kind of agree with Millhaus though as at this level, you can't do just one. There's some gamesmanship... you try to make the puck carrier think, waste fractional time, which limits his options... all while doing that job 1... NO PASS.

edit: where I've gone absolutely NUTS is the few times that Erskine or Sloan allowed a pass UNDER there stick cause of poor position of their stick identifying their stick radius. A few times they've played the 2 on 1 straight up, and sucked to high heaven.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 01:39 PM
Burgh32

Quote:
if green isnt in the lineup for game 1, wideman will have the bullseye on him. wideman will get hammered as if he were green. if green's in the lineup, it makes it a little harder on the opposition to break them both down.
Emphasizes the importance of getting Green back before the playoffs. It'll make a night-and-day difference in how the opposition will need to gameplan for the Caps and the Caps' versatility in responding to any potential gameplan thrown at them.

Burgh32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2011, 05:39 PM
Fallschirmyager

Quote:
Thanks stew. It may all be coincidence sure since it seems a few players ramped up their play over the last month. Our system just seems such a natural fit for Wideman, I bet he is loving it here. Our dependency on Green is decreasing, which is a good thing since we cant seem to get that bullseye off his back very easily.

Carlson and others can start our offensive attack, but with Wideman on board, teams may not even be noticing Green is out.

If we can get Green back at 100%, the hardest part may be for Bruce to figure out how to split up their roles. Like PP1. Green or bust, 50/50, move wideman to left point? he has options.
I forget which game it was, Philly I think, that they interviewed Wideman before the game and he said exactly that. His success since joining the CAPS was due to his game fits very well with this style and he does like it here.

The interesting thing will be the pairings when green does return. There is no reason for sarge to be with green as there are better options.

Fallschirmyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 09:52 AM
Predatials

looks like my rumor may have had some weight to it,

from twitter.....

kcarrera Katie Carrera

Per the team, Dennis Wideman is now listed as being week-to-week with the lower body injury he suffered on Tues.

sounds pretty bad

Predatials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 09:54 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 09:55 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO