HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The First Win is Tasty.

Old
04-15-2011, 07:16 PM
joshjull

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
I disagree. Mancari worked well with them, not because of his physical play, but because he had some skill with the puck. I think boyes would do very well on that line.
Mancari was a slot holder on that line. He added little to no offense and no physical play.

Kaleta's game fits better than any other winger with those two.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 07:20 PM
SoFFacet

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Just no to Boyes with Gerbe/Goose. His game doesn't fit with them. They play a straight forward aggressive game. Why on earth would anyone want to break up that line after yesterday?
You do remember that Gerbe Goose Boyes was a real line for several games, and it freaking dominated, right?

SoFFacet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 07:20 PM
dire wolf
be cool

Upon further reflection, as bad as Monty was yesterday, I don't want to yank him yet. Remember, he was fantastic last year in the Boston series - easily one of our best players. Even yesterday, I think he played with the right attitude, just some bad decisions. I think he'll calm down and play a smarter game next time. Also, at least one of his penalties yesterday was a pretty iffy call, so I don't fault him too much for that. I suspect he'll bounce back and play a strong game No. 2

dire wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 07:23 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFFacet View Post
You do remember that Gerbe Goose Boyes was a real line for several games, and it freaking dominated, right?
Actually it was great for about 1 period, maybe 2 then meh. So yes I do remember it.

This is the playoffs and we aren't likely to play the wide open attacking style we used to get into the playoffs very often. Having a line like Gerbe/Goose/Kaleta is a nice weapon to have. They can bring it physically, add some offense and play solid defense. They were our best line last night.

Boyes wouldn't be bad on that line but he changes the dynamic it has with Kaleta. A dynamic we need.

Old
04-15-2011, 07:33 PM
dire wolf
be cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Actually it was great for about 1 period, maybe 2 then meh. So yes I do remember it.

This is the playoffs and we aren't likely to play the wide open attacking style we used to get into the playoffs very often. Having a line like Gerbe/Goose/Kaleta is a nice weapon to have. They can bring it physically, add some offense and play solid defense. They were our best line last night.

Boyes wouldn't be bad on that line but he changes the dynamic it has with Kaleta. A dynamic we need.
Maybe so, but I think the bigger problem is dealing with Ennis-Boyes-Stafford. That line won't succeed in this series both because Boyes is not a good center and because they don't bang enough. If you don't want to tinker with G-G-K, then put Boyes on the 4th line and let Nieds center it:

Ennis-McCormick-Stafford
Boyes-Niedermayer-Grier

Old
04-15-2011, 07:40 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by dire wolf View Post
Maybe so, but I think the bigger problem is dealing with Ennis-Boyes-Stafford. That line won't succeed in this series both because Boyes is not a good center and because they don't bang enough. If you don't want to tinker with G-G-K, then put Boyes on the 4th line and let Nieds center it:

Ennis-McCormick-Stafford
Boyes-Niedermayer-Grier
They just have to simplify their game. If they don't then their ice time needs to be reduced. The bottom 6 was effective and neither Ennis nor Boyes belong there. That line may have to become the defacto 4th line.

Or take parts of the 4th line and sub them in periodically for Ennis or Boyes.

If it becomes a huge issue go to 3 lines.

Old
04-15-2011, 08:23 PM
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death

I knew eventually Boyes would become useless. Once our other forwards get healthy he's just gonna be in the way. We'll be forced to sit players who actually make a difference like McCormick or Kaleta to fit in Boyes.

Ron Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 08:28 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Barr View Post
I knew eventually Boyes would become useless. Once our other forwards get healthy he's just gonna be in the way. We'll be forced to sit players who actually make a difference like McCormick or Kaleta to fit in Boyes.
I think it's pretty extreme to say Boyes is useless. Sure he hasn't been playing too well but I don't think it's far-fetched to think he can turn it around if he gets back on RW.

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 08:29 PM
dire wolf
be cool

Quote:
I doubt he would be useless at wing. The dropoff in his play was obvious as soon as he was switched.

Old
04-15-2011, 08:30 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Would anybody consider playing Stafford with Gerbe and Goose when Hecht comes back? I know nobody wants to take out any of Cody Mac, Grier, Nieds or Kaleta right now, but if one of them was to go, would you entertain Gerbe-Goose-Stafford? Then play either VCP and Ennis Hecht Boyes or Vanek Hecht Poms and Ennis Connolly Boyes as our top 6. Or would you prefer Boyes with Goose and Gerbe? Just a thought.

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 09:00 PM
SoFFacet

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefifagod View Post
Would anybody consider playing Stafford with Gerbe and Goose when Hecht comes back? I know nobody wants to take out any of Cody Mac, Grier, Nieds or Kaleta right now, but if one of them was to go, would you entertain Gerbe-Goose-Stafford? Then play either VCP and Ennis Hecht Boyes or Vanek Hecht Poms and Ennis Connolly Boyes as our top 6. Or would you prefer Boyes with Goose and Gerbe? Just a thought.
It seems to me Gerbe+Goose+any will make a good line at this point, so it makes the most sense to me to dump the worse between Stafford and Boyes on that line, and use the guy playing better to give another line the best chance to succeed. At this point to me that means Boyes goes to 3RW when Hecht takes 2C (Stafford stays at 2RW).

SoFFacet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 09:05 PM
msm29
Was htsportplaya

Quote:
Originally Posted by dire wolf View Post
Connolly has been almost Selke-worthy the last 6 weeks. If his salary and offensive expectations were lower, people could almost love this guy!
If Timmy Connolly was placed in Rob Niedermeyer's body, we'd bearguing about how good this guy'd been.

We expect more offensively, and, unfortunatley, that's led to some expectations that keep us from recognizing the good he's done.

He's definitely been a quality player, even if he hasn't been a scoring presence. He's been good.

msm29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 09:19 PM
brian_griffin
"Elite Poster" ???

Quote:
One might take that opinion if one felt the acquisition of Boyes was more this-year- focused than as a potential replacement for Stafford if he is not resigned (and I've posted in other threads I fully expect DR to resign Staff for whatever a fair-value contract is, and not be low-balled). Anyway - I don't want to take a GBU thread down that path.

I like the "insurance" BUF is getting from the overall pervasive high quality of play from all its forwards during this spate of injuries. If you told me at Thanksgiving that BUF would both qualify for the playoffs and be on a tear going in, having played 3 months without Roy and 1 month without Hecht, and Vanek not scoring many goals the last few weeks of the season, I would have asked you to pass me what you're smoking. But alas, it's true. So we'll all exhale now.

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 10:12 PM
imyourhuckleberry
Nyaaa..What's Up Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by joechip View Post
I prefer McCormick between Stafford and Ennis, frankly. That would give Ennis more room out there. No one takes a liberty with him with Cody on the ice. Moreover, he'll keep it simple, get the puck in deep and start the cycle. Move Boyes to the Goose/Gerbe line and leave Nieds with Griere and Kaleta, though Kaleta goes to the LW, not Griere.

When Hecht returns, you sit Nieds and move Hecht in between Ennis and Boyes. Give Stafford to Goose and Gerbe and watch us tear the Eastern Conference a new one.

Ta,

I agree with this.

My whole point earlier was that yes we need Hecht, but we need to score goals so taking out Boyes or Ennis is just not an option. All they need is a two way center, like Hecht, that can play to let the wingers attack more.

imyourhuckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 10:17 PM
imyourhuckleberry
Nyaaa..What's Up Doc

Quote:

14 points in 21 games is useless?

Old
04-15-2011, 10:20 PM
imyourhuckleberry
Nyaaa..What's Up Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
Perhaps a small part of it is the specific linemates but in either case Boyes can not handle centering this line. Hecht is the only player who can reasonably fill the top 6 center void Roy left, albeit in a completely different style.

Gaustad is too slow and you wouldn't want to separate him from his sidekick Gerbe. Nieds, well... to be honest he could fit in better than Boyes but no one would argue him over Hecht on ANY line.

I like Boyes a lot which seems to be lost on Bork Bork. He can bring complimentary offensive depth to any line and is very good for the powerplay. He simply needs to be on the wing at this point and if he ends up the most likely candidate to pull out in order to make the lines work with Hecht, then so be it.
Nothing lost here Paxon. I think you missed my points earlier. Put Hecht in, but switch out a 4th liner and not Boyes or Ennis like others were calling for.

As a side; I'm starting to shutter wondering what these boards will be like once The News reports that Roy is close to a return.

Old
04-16-2011, 12:33 AM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bork Bork View Post
Nothing lost here Paxon. I think you missed my points earlier. Put Hecht in, but switch out a 4th liner and not Boyes or Ennis like others were calling for.

As a side; I'm starting to shutter wondering what these boards will be like once The News reports that Roy is close to a return.
I tried presenting that as a different scenario but I think that because the poster we were both responding to suggested taking out Boyes or Ennis that you thought I wanted to take Boyes out. I'm open to it but I think other guys are ahead of him on the list to pull, bottom 6 guys. It'll come down to how the games shake out up until Hecht is ready, though.

Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 06:43 AM
joechip

Send a message via Yahoo to joechip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bork Bork View Post
I agree with this.

My whole point earlier was that yes we need Hecht, but we need to score goals so taking out Boyes or Ennis is just not an option. All they need is a two way center, like Hecht, that can play to let the wingers attack more.
Early in the season McCormick got moved up to the 2nd line and kick-started some offense for us. I really don't think he would be out of place there at this point. We have a lot of flexibility with our lower line centers: McCormick Goose Nieds. Where we lack is a real 2nd line offensive center sans Roy. So, make do with a real center on a 'scoring' line and spread the scoring wingers out to build 3 really good lines. It couldn't hurt to experiment with for a period. If it doesn't work then Ruff should play line pizza until the good combinations come together.

If we aren't in penalty trouble this game I would almost expect to see Connolly get double-shifted in the 2nd half of a tie game.

Ta,

joechip is offline   Reply With Quote