HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Thoughts on Letestu

Old
04-15-2011, 04:41 AM
Mickey Redmond

vCash: 500
Thoughts on Letestu

Hey guys, I just wanted to get your thoughts on Mark Letestu's progression and potential since you all have watched him quite a bit in the NHL. The reason I'm asking is because I knew him from the one year he was at Western Michigan University. Thanks.

Mickey Redmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 05:42 AM
BrookswasHere44

Faceoff super pro

BrookswasHere44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 08:48 AM
thecore

Letestu is sort of a hard player to peg in the NHL. He was a prolific scorer in the AHL, but has been very streaky in terms of point production in the NHL. He possesses a quick release that I'd like to see him use more. He has above average vision and average skating ability. His positioning on defense is pretty good, and he's gotten pretty good at faceoffs. His best long-term fit is probably as a third line center, but he's not an ideal shutdown guy because he's not very tall, limiting his range. He also is not a physical player, but he's not soft either.

thecore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 09:54 AM
GLM

he is staying afloat in the nhl imo. could be doing alot worse, but we are far from his ceiling i think. he is making some plays but missing others. he is doing well for the situation of being thrown into the fire with the big guns sid geno being out with injury.

he does need to cash in on the GIMME goals liek the one he missed in game one when he was sitting on the doorstep in the 3rd pd!!

LETS GO PENS!!!

GLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 09:57 AM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Very smart, hard working player, with great hands. He is in the NHL to stay. His skating is alright but he doesn't have that extra step and that is what holds him back.

Right now he is a 30 point a season player but I could see him getting around 40.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 10:12 AM
Tender Rip
#Haz supa line mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
Right now he is a 30 point a season player but I could see him getting around 40.
He was on pace for ~18 goals/35 points in his rookie season.
I'd say it is difficult to peg him as this or that, but I agree that on our team it will be mighty hard for him to top those numbers because he is (hopefully) never going to have a season with as prominent a C role again.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 10:17 AM
Skk82

A nice all-around player. Not explosive but smart. Not big and fast but not too small or slow to stick out. Good puck skills and understanding of the game.

I'm not as sweet as some others are because I don't think he's skilled enough to be a consistent point producer as it is, and with the crowded center depth chart, he's not going to be playing with very skilled players for much longer.

That said, he definitely belongs in the NHL and if Letestu can keep his faceoff percentage going up (and maybe try to carve a niche defensively) there's definitely a role for him in Pittsburgh. Doesn't hurt that he's one of the coach's favorite players, and he's one of the favorites for a reason- he's a smart player that plays the game in a reliable fashion.

Skk82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 10:24 AM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
He was on pace for ~18 goals/35 points in his rookie season.
I'd say it is difficult to peg him as this or that, but I agree that on our team it will be mighty hard for him to top those numbers because he is (hopefully) never going to have a season with as prominent a C role again.
Which is what might help him. Playing a third or fourth line center will help keep his production around there I think. He obliviously can't handle other teams number one lines and defense pairings but with other team focusing on the top two lines he will do better.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 10:26 AM
AquaticBirdman

Solid 2-way player that excels in the faceoff circle. He'll make pretty good career 3rd liner (while being used sparingly on the top 6) at the NHL level, but nothing more in my opinion.

AquaticBirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 10:39 AM
SirBrad

Pretty much what everyone has said already. I think he's the perfect third line center for this team and allows them to stack their top 2 lines with Crosby, Malkin, Staal, Kunitz, Neal and TK next season.

I think they'll get 35-40 points from him next season if he can play 75+ games.

SirBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 11:03 AM
Ziggyjoe21

Send a message via AIM to Ziggyjoe21
He's amazing for an AHL call up, but pretty bad at his current role as 1st line center.

I would say he's a solid 3rd line center.

Ziggyjoe21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 11:07 AM
Illinest

best third line center in the league.

I think he'd be fine centering the fourth line but he probably has more value to a lesser team as their third line center. He's good on faceoffs, fair shot and occasionally pulls a really nice pass out of his butt.

Illinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 11:08 AM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

I'm no expert, but he seems to have pretty damn good hockey-sense in all 3 zones. His has good enough hands and a good enough shot to be a 40-point player from the 3rd line, IMO.

SCUDeriMISSILE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 11:23 AM
JTG

Smart and very good on faceoffs. I'd peg him as a good 3rd line center, with some scoring upside.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 12:36 PM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

Very intelligent player, deceptive skills. He's a poor man's (a very poor man) Pavel Datsyuk. I think he'll be a better offensive player at 31 than he is today.

TravisUlrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 12:50 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Decent, solid player. Unfortunately, I have no idea where he fits with this org. going forward.

Maybe the best thing for Letestu (and for the Pens) is to deal him in the off-season for a draft pick or prospect. I mean, even IF Geno can't start the season, we should still be OK at center with Crosby, Staal, Jeffrey (who would move to wing when Geno returns) and either a re-signed fourth line C like Adams or rookie Vitale. Then there's also the emerging presence of Veilleux.

I just don't know where Letestu fits.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 12:58 PM
Jeff Goldblum

I somehow think the organization will find a spot for a right-handed 20G-20A center with 55%+ face-off ability and a cap hit of 650k for the upcoming two seasons.

Letestu is just too good, too cheap, and too versatile to trade for a draft pick.

Jeff Goldblum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 12:58 PM
Burgs

There will always be room on our roster for a smart, cheap two-way center who's good at faceoffs. Letestu's value to us is higher than what he would return in a trade. He's come up through the organization, knows the system and costs next to nothing while easily being capable of scoring 15-15-30. No way he gets traded anytime soon.

Burgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 01:04 PM
MrBurghundy
Relax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Decent, solid player. Unfortunately, I have no idea where he fits with this org. going forward.

Maybe the best thing for Letestu (and for the Pens) is to deal him in the off-season for a draft pick or prospect. I mean, even IF Geno can't start the season, we should still be OK at center with Crosby, Staal, Jeffrey (who would move to wing when Geno returns) and either a re-signed fourth line C like Adams or rookie Vitale. Then there's also the emerging presence of Veilleux.

I just don't know where Letestu fits.
Veilleux hasn't played center for a long time now.

MrBurghundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 02:13 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTownFever View Post
Veilleux hasn't played center for a long time now.
I did not know that. Thanks. Is he playing the off-wing or RW?

Old
04-15-2011, 02:31 PM
regard

From everything Ive read hes playing RW.

regard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 02:31 PM
High Flying Birds

I'd keep him as well. The fact that he can consistently win face-offs (a problem the Pens have struggled with seemingly forever) is a pretty big plus in my book. And with all due respect to Mike Zigomanis, he's also pretty talented at other areas of the game. He's not suited to a top6 role but he'll be damn good on the 3rd or even 4th line where there isn't so much pressure to produce offensively. I thought he did his best work when he was paired with Connor and TK earlier in the season.

High Flying Birds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 02:38 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Well, I only view it from the perspective that when Malkin returns to being the Evgeni Malkin who can dominate the NHL once again, it'll be as a center. So, that leaves Letestu in a fourth-line role. Not sure how valuable he is in that role, vis-a-vis giving him a chance to play a bigger role on another team.

If Letestu's ideal NHL role is third-line center, then he will never supplant Staal (the best in the business, when he's actually our third-line center). So, sometimes it's best to do right by a player and give him a chance somewhere else.

Besides, Jeffrey is better than Letestu...and more versatile, it seems to me.

His right-handedness is nice, but Vitale could handle fourth-line center duties without much of an issue. And we could always re-sign Adams if need be.

Old
04-15-2011, 02:55 PM
regard

Yeah the Buzz Line was a nice asset to have. If Sid were to come back right now Talbot Letestu Dupuis could probably get right back into the groove and have a little more offensive potential than they do with Connor on there.
Plus next year we might have the option of putting Jeffrey and Letestu back together like the played in WBS.
Jeffrey Letestu Cooke

They would be solid defensively with the ability to establish a forecheck and bring secondary scoring.

regard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 03:24 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

He's all right. Probably as good a 3rd line center as any (generally speaking). That's about as far as I'd go.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote