HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

ECQF|Game 2|Lightning @ Penguins|7:00 PM EST CEC|April 15, 2011|Root Sports, CBC

Old
04-15-2011, 02:40 PM
SirBrad

vCash: 500
Super pumped for this game! Nothing like going into a Friday Game 2 up 1-0. Hope they don't go all buzz kill on me tonight.

SirBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 02:42 PM
High Flying Birds

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookeKilledJFK View Post
Gonna be there tonight for my first EVER Pens game!
Doesn't get any better than that! Have fun mate and hopefully the Pens give you a nice little W for your first game

Lets go Pens! Should be a great game.

High Flying Birds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 02:55 PM
penslover871

Let's keep the wins coming!

I'll be watching tonight from the NY/Canada border!!

penslover871 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 03:07 PM
Ferenth

Great GDT guys, nice Orpik gif UM...

Let's do this Pens! I was not as impressed by the other playoff
games, but the Pens / Bolts both teams came out playing post-season hockey.

Excited!

Ferenth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 03:23 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferenth View Post
Great GDT guys, nice Orpik gif UM...

Let's do this Pens! I was not as impressed by the other playoff
games, but the Pens / Bolts both teams came out playing post-season hockey.

Excited!
Interesting. I saw parts of VAN-CHI, MTL-BOS, LA-SJ and the only game I thought was fairly exciting was the Penguin game and probably Vancouver/Chicago. I only saw the first 2 periods of the MTL game and the last 2 of SJ and I would say they amounted to decent regular season games.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 03:28 PM
Ferenth

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
Interesting. I saw parts of VAN-CHI, MTL-BOS, LA-SJ and the only game I thought was fairly exciting was the Penguin game and probably Vancouver/Chicago. I only saw the first 2 periods of the MTL game and the last 2 of SJ and I would say they amounted to decent regular season games.

Yeah I mean, the games were good but in terms of all the playoff games I've seen so far, the Penguins/Bolts game 1 was by far the most intense and exciting.

I am likely biased..however just an opinion.

Cheers

Old
04-15-2011, 03:30 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 50
Here's to more Free Candy tonight.

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 03:31 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Yeah I mean, the games were good but in terms of all the playoff games I've seen so far, the Penguins/Bolts game 1 was by far the most intense and exciting.

Cheers
We agree I just didn't read your post right, which I swear is mandatory for me to do to someone once a month haha. Thought it was "I wasn't as impressed as I was watching the other playoff games" or something.

Old
04-15-2011, 03:43 PM
KiuasWarrior

Quote:

Cheers
I agree with this. The end of the WASH/NYR game was pretty exciting... only perhaps because I really really really wanted to see the NYR score. :

KiuasWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 03:55 PM
MurphyDump

After watching the Pens minus Crosby and Malkin for so long, and watching some of these teams in the playoffs.....you REALLY get an appreciation for what a great coach Bylsma is! (minus the PP)

Boston looked horrible and sloppy last night, Montreal did squat and relied on Price all night. Even some of the other games were less than impressive.

The Pens just look like a well oiled machine out there. Even if they have trouble scoring (understandable), they just seem to do all the little things write. Great forechecking, pressure, neutral zone play, defensive zone play, chips, dumps, PK.....

Just a thing of beauty, let's keep it up.

MurphyDump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 03:58 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
We absolutely need to come out of the gate and put this game away. Obviously, it's not that easy... but this is the biggest game of the series. 2-0 and only needing to steal one is what we need. We cannot let Tampa steal on of our home games w/o an offensive threat in our lineup.

ColePens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 04:05 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
We absolutely need to come out of the gate and put this game away. Obviously, it's not that easy... but this is the biggest game of the series. 2-0 and only needing to steal one is what we need. We cannot let Tampa steal on of our home games w/o an offensive threat in our lineup.
Interesting perspective. I don't know if that's the way I'd approach it. It sounds a lot like getting into an up and down, back and forth battle with them early on. A battle that I think plays into their hands. I thought the Penguins did exhibit playoff experience and physicality in game 1. In other words I think Tampa is the team that has to proactively improve something. I'd roll with the status quo established in the last two period of game 1.

It's so hard to put a fine point on all this though. Every game is going to be close and it came close many times to Tampa getting ahead first and changing the whole perspective.

Old
04-15-2011, 04:07 PM
everyonelovesthepens

Get pumped up pens, they are coming hard im sure.

everyonelovesthepens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 04:12 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Interesting perspective. I don't know if that's the way I'd approach it. It sounds a lot like getting into an up and down, back and forth battle with them early on. A battle that I think plays into their hands. I thought the Penguins did exhibit playoff experience and physicality in game 1. In other words I think Tampa is the team that has to proactively improve something. I'd roll with the status quo established in the last two period of game 1.

It's so hard to put a fine point on all this though. Every game is going to be close and it came close many times to Tampa getting ahead first and changing the whole perspective.
My reasoning is because we looked the part... but the game was still 0-0 and if it weren't heroics from Fleury, we could have lost. We can't rely on Fleury to save us all game then catch one or two fluke goals. We need to get one early and play sound defense and rely on that to create offensive chances.

I thought Tampa was one lucky bounce away from stealing game 1 when they didn't deserve it.

ColePens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 04:13 PM
NutCracker

I have to say, there's always really ****** music in these GDT's

There you go

NutCracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 04:17 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

From a Lightning blog http://www.donttradevinny.com/2011/0...ating-nhl.html

Also Yahoo on Stamkos VOWING to be better http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl-wp2670

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 04:20 PM
Ferenth

To the few folks I've been chattin with about excitement level of playoff games.

We all should remember it is round 1. It will definitely pick up I bet.

Oh well, we know that the Penguins games will always be good!!

t minus 1h40m!

Old
04-15-2011, 04:20 PM
AugustBurnsRed*
Invisible Calls

AugustBurnsRed* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 04:24 PM
Pancakes

Quote:

When Tampa has scored first on us in the regular season they've tended to try and sit back and play smothering defense. It's worked at times, but we've still managed to generate a ton of chances in those games. I think we have the ability to play comeback hockey against this team because they will give up boat loads of chances if they try to sit back.

Guy Boucher seems to want his team to out patience us. Basically, the Montreal strategy. I don't think it works as well against this Pens team though because we're just as committed to playing a game of patience due to our lack of offensive players. We're not going to press to score goals like we did last year against Montreal.

The lack of offensive talent in the Pens' lineup right now makes us dangerous because we know we have to rigidly stick to a defensive posture to win. Teams that try to bait us into turnovers are going to find it hard to generate those turnovers because the Pens do not make a lot of risky plays right now for the most part.

If I was Tampa I'd try to push the play and try to really take it to us. Trying to trap us and wait on turnovers doesn't seem like a great recipe because we don't make those high risk plays. We basically are playing Devils hockey right now to a T.

Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 04:25 PM
everyonelovesthepens

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutCracker View Post
i didnt know music like that existed to be honest. I did listen to the whole thing

everyonelovesthepens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 04:25 PM
Biz Nasty
Cooke 4 Lady Byng

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
I think it really may be that simple...Tampa is reminding me how we looked in 2007 against Ottawa, lot's of playoff virgins against a very experienced team that knows how to play playoff hockey. We can do the same tonight, jump on their throat early with a consistent attack and just pound on them...we saw how Stamkos reacts when you get on him early, the kid's picture practically appears on a milk carton...pound on them, cycle the puck, frustrate them into taking stupid penalties (Downie), and for the love of God get a PP goal.

We're winning this, called it before the series and I stand by it...Let's Go Pens

Biz Nasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 04:28 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadPenguinsFan View Post

I love how Slayer is playing in the background.

Old
04-15-2011, 04:30 PM
HuskerTornado
RIP UW AlwaysBelieve

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutCracker View Post
I have to say, there's always really ****** music in these GDT's

There you go
Surely you jest...

HuskerTornado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 04:32 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Anyone have the link to the any given Sunday speech Pens montage???

Old
04-15-2011, 05:14 PM
Dylonus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadPenguinsFan View Post

Free Candy?!?

I didn't know it was Halloween

Dylonus is offline   Reply With Quote