HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Boston Pizza?

Old
04-15-2011, 08:42 AM
Gomionta

vCash: 500
Boston Pizza?

http://www.bostonpizza.com/fr/default

lol

Gomionta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 08:50 AM
neofury*

That's actually smart of them to do. Believe it or not the one in my area (west island) is actually surprisingly very good. I had heard Boston Pizza was **** so I went there a few times, I've never actually had the pizza itself but the burgers were amazing and I saw some of the pizzas as a lot of people were ordering them, they looked good too. Plus a lot of people go there to watch the games. It's actually a pretty solid restaurant. I don't go often cause it's not really conveniently located but if they had one near my place I'd probably go more often.

Still I think they're smart to do this given the circumstance.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 08:53 AM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomionta View Post
BP was counting on the playoffs to refill their coffers... I just imagine Boston Pizza brass finding out we're facing Boston again: "**** **** ****... Gentlemen, we have no choice but to go nuclear...".

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 08:53 AM
Dwight
The French Tickler

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
That's actually smart of them to do. Believe it or not the one in my area (west island) is actually surprisingly very good. I had heard Boston Pizza was **** so I went there a few times, I've never actually had the pizza itself but the burgers were amazing and I saw some of the pizzas as a lot of people were ordering them, they looked good too. Plus a lot of people go there to watch the games. It's actually a pretty solid restaurant. I don't go often cause it's not really conveniently located but if they had one near my place I'd probably go more often.

Still I think they're smart to do this given the circumstance.
Is that the one near St-Jean, off the 40? I've been there also, and it wasn't terrible, but I only went there once, and it was 2 years ago (we went and watched the All-Star game, actually).

Did they actually change their names, or is this a publicity stunt?

Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 08:59 AM
Theosis
11, 27, 31, 67, 76 ♥

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
Is that the one near St-Jean, off the 40? I've been there also, and it wasn't terrible, but I only went there once, and it was 2 years ago (we went and watched the All-Star game, actually).

As far as I know that's the only one in the West Island, at least that I know about.

I'm not sure if they've actually changed their signs to say Montreal Pizza.

Theosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 09:00 AM
Gomionta

Quote:

looks like a publicity stunt and the english site doesnt even have it.

Gomionta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 09:05 AM
Dwight
The French Tickler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theosis View Post
As far as I know that's the only one in the West Island, at least that I know about.

I'm not sure if they've actually changed their signs to say Montreal Pizza.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomionta View Post
looks like a publicity stunt and the english site doesnt even have it.
Figured that's all it was. Still, I think it's a great idea

Old
04-15-2011, 09:07 AM
stubbadub

It's a publicity stunt because I imagine they took numbers from the last meeting between us and saw that their sales fell significantly in Quebec during our series together. So this is actually brilliant marketing in my opinion. It's funny, it shows that blood is thicker than urine (the color of the Bruin's jersey). We're talking about it on here right?

stubbadub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 09:16 AM
coolasprICE

I find the name "Boston Pizza" to be quite random... never understood it.

New York Pizza, fine... NYC is NYC.

Chicago Pizza, even more understandable... I mean, Chicago is part of the big 3 that includes NYC and LA...

Seriously, why is this restaurant called "Boston Pizza'' ?!

Is it to appeal to the west coasters who have the need to escape to the other side of the continent for an evening out?

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 09:24 AM
neofury*

Quote:

They didn't actually change their name, it isn't even really close to St-Jean it's actually right off of Des Sources @ 40.

It apparently was terrible originally, like the first 2-3 months, some friends went and said it was awful but then some relatives went about 6 months after it opened and told me it was amazing.

Don't get me wrong I'd much prefer Jack Astor's, but if it's Pizza I want I'd consider going there, and even their burgers were very good. They got their act together, truth is never go to a restaurant around when they first open, especially if it's a big chain one like Boston Pizza. They usually have to go through a couple fail cooks before they find the right person. It's always been fabulous when I've been, which has been at least 8-9 months+ after they opened.

I did hear it was awful when it first opened though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post

Chicago Pizza, even more understandable... I mean, Chicago is part of the big 3 that includes NYC and LA...

Is it to appeal to the west coasters who have the need to escape to the other side of the continent for an evening out?
Can't say that I disagree but when I went I went with the family and nobody ate Pizza, though they had previously had and enjoyed the pizza. Everyone had something different and everyone enjoyed their meal.

I definitely agree though, Boston was a dumb choice but it probably started in Boston? All I know is that the food is very underrated due to the chain being **** for the most part and them having been so bad when they opened, but I'm sure if you go check it out now you won't regret it.

Like I said I can't vouch for the pizza, but the food overall was very good for that type of food. (General sports bar style)

Why go to a ****hole like Cage when just 1 boulevard over you have a Boston Pizza and a Jack Astor's, that I'll never understand.

Even Le Manoir on the west island (corner of St-Jean + Hymus for you west islanders) plays the games, has about 35 plasma 50"+ TV's all in a small area, practically every table has their own personal 50", the food is amazing bang for buck, quality not the greatest but good value, the pitchers are cheap enough and the crowd is absolutely wild in the playoffs. A much younger crowd goes there now, mix of older and youth, very fun times. It's far better an experience going there for a game than going to Cage where I'm going to spend twice as much on a far ****tier meal and viewing experience.

Old
04-15-2011, 09:31 AM
Dwight
The French Tickler

Quote:
Can't say that I disagree but when I went I went with the family and nobody ate Pizza, though they had previously had and enjoyed the pizza. Everyone had something different and everyone enjoyed their meal.

I definitely agree though, Boston was a dumb choice but it probably started in Boston? All I know is that the food is very underrated due to the chain being **** for the most part and them having been so bad when they opened, but I'm sure if you go check it out now you won't regret it.

Like I said I can't vouch for the pizza, but the food overall was very good for that type of food. (General sports bar style)

Why go to a ****hole like Cage when just 1 boulevard over you have a Boston Pizza and a Jack Astor's, that I'll never understand.

Even Le Manoir on the west island (corner of St-Jean + Hymus for you west islanders) plays the games, has about 35 plasma 50"+ TV's all in a small area, practically every table has their own personal 50", the food is amazing bang for buck, quality not the greatest but good value, the pitchers are cheap enough and the crowd is absolutely wild in the playoffs. A much younger crowd goes there now, mix of older and youth, very fun times. It's far better an experience going there for a game than going to Cage where I'm going to spend twice as much on a far ****tier meal and viewing experience.
Yeah I've been to Manoir a few times, and it's really good there. I don't hate the Cage too much, but I find their menu to be very underwhelming. I try to avoid eating there as much as possible.

Love Jack Astor's also, and if you're up for a quieter atmosphere, the Elixir that's in the same mall is very good also (not for game nights though, unless you sit in the bar area)

Old
04-15-2011, 09:34 AM
XperHFB

Quote:
It's far better an experience going there for a game than going to Cage where I'm going to spend twice as much on a far ****tier meal and viewing experience.
Honestly La Cage really sucks. Pj's, Le Manoir, Sports Station for example are all by far wayyy better...food wise, screen wise, beer wise and Money wise.

XperHFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 09:46 AM
coolasprICE

neofury I made the mistake of giving Cage a 2nd shot this year... shared some nachos and some wings.

Now, I have never seen a sadder more pathetic Nacho in my life.

One of my biggest pet peeves is when you order a Nacho,and they put all the cheese and toppings on top , and everything in the middle and on the bottom is dryer than Regina. So after a few bites, you basically spent 12 bucks for a bag of corn chips.

And Cage is not the only place to do this -- at PJ's when I went, I paid extra for ''cheese insurance'' (they put an extra layer).

I never understood why it's so hard to get a good Nacho.

Old
04-15-2011, 09:57 AM
XperHFB

Quote:
bottom is dryer than Regina.
how dry is Regina?

XperHFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 10:08 AM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

Quote:

The real funny thing is that the restaurant chain was started in Western Canada. It's called "Boston's The Gourmet Pizza" in the U.S.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_Pizza

Madam Kadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 10:12 AM
Amputechture

Quote:
They didn't actually change their name, it isn't even really close to St-Jean it's actually right off of Des Sources @ 40.

It apparently was terrible originally, like the first 2-3 months, some friends went and said it was awful but then some relatives went about 6 months after it opened and told me it was amazing.

Don't get me wrong I'd much prefer Jack Astor's, but if it's Pizza I want I'd consider going there, and even their burgers were very good. They got their act together, truth is never go to a restaurant around when they first open, especially if it's a big chain one like Boston Pizza. They usually have to go through a couple fail cooks before they find the right person. It's always been fabulous when I've been, which has been at least 8-9 months+ after they opened.

I did hear it was awful when it first opened though.

Pretty sure BP is Canadian owned and only in Canada. I think the owner is one of the guys on Dragons Den. I have a BP right beside my house in TO. I love it. The service is amazing and I enjoy many different things on the menu so I can constantly change it up.

Amputechture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 10:15 AM
neofury*

Quote:
neofury I made the mistake of giving Cage a 2nd shot this year... shared some nachos and some wings.

Now, I have never seen a sadder more pathetic Nacho in my life.

One of my biggest pet peeves is when you order a Nacho,and they put all the cheese and toppings on top , and everything in the middle and on the bottom is dryer than Regina. So after a few bites, you basically spent 12 bucks for a bag of corn chips.

And Cage is not the only place to do this -- at PJ's when I went, I paid extra for ''cheese insurance'' (they put an extra layer).

I never understood why it's so hard to get a good Nacho.
I know I gave them a chance for UFC last year cause a relative invited me. Never again.

I know most of you guys don't live in the West Island but if you ever get a chance go to Jack Astors and get their nacho's. Then compare to Cage. Even now a days if I recall they don't make the nacho's as good, and it's still 1000000000x better. Plus, their garlic bread is bordering on godly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amputechture View Post
Pretty sure BP is Canadian owned and only in Canada. I think the owner is one of the guys on Dragons Den. I have a BP right beside my house in TO. I love it. The service is amazing and I enjoy many different things on the menu so I can constantly change it up.
Yeah you're right about that (see above, somebody confirms) but it is available in the states, one of my friends is an American born and raised here. (What I mean is he comes from an American family, from Georgia) and he confirmed they have it in the states, he's seen it before. Don't remember which state I think he said it was at the Phillidelphia Airport.

Old
04-15-2011, 10:36 AM
Lucius

Publicity stunt or not, I'm making a point of eating there at least once in the next few weeks

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 10:39 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by XperHFB View Post
how dry is Regina?
depends on who's visiting and time of the month

Quote:
I know I gave them a chance for UFC last year cause a relative invited me. Never again.

I know most of you guys don't live in the West Island but if you ever get a chance go to Jack Astors and get their nacho's. Then compare to Cage. Even now a days if I recall they don't make the nacho's as good, and it's still 1000000000x better. Plus, their garlic bread is bordering on godly.

Man, I haven't been there since.... maybe I was a small kid.

Do they still have peanut shells on the floor?

I remember back in the day, it was either Moes or Jack Asters.

I was just at the West Island for lunch yesterday, had La Perle ... I didn't eat anything else for the entire day.

Old
04-15-2011, 10:45 AM
neofury*

Quote:
depends on who's visiting and time of the month

Man, I haven't been there since.... maybe I was a small kid.

Do they still have peanut shells on the floor?

I remember back in the day, it was either Moes or Jack Asters.

I was just at the West Island for lunch yesterday, had La Perle ... I didn't eat anything else for the entire day.
I love La Perle. I actually work right next door to it. I could walk over right now and get the peanut butter dumplings. Mmmmmm peanut butter.

To be honest I never remember Jack Astor's having peanut shells on the floor, I do remember the days of it being less of a bar atmosphere and more of a family restaurant though. Fun times still, I've heard the one in Toronto isn't nearly as good either.

Moes has and always will be **** to me, except for maybe breakfast. Was just never a fan. In an unrelated cool story bro moment, one time when a friend was working at Futureshop the Moes owner had come in to pick up like 10 52" Panasonic Viera's. Well guess what, the people at futureshop had no idea what he was talking about and he had already paid for them. Basically some guy told him he was a manager at futureshop and that if he gave him the money, he could get him these 3000$ Viera's (at the time they were expensive) for like 1000$ each. The guy was actually dumb enough to give this guy 10000$ cash. My friend worked at FS at the time and the cops came and everything. The guy got scammed. How could somebody be this stupid to give somebody 10000$ cash for a TV discount and not do it at least at Futureshop? I understand he thought he was getting an employee deal or something but give me a break, it's the biggest scam I've ever heard of.

Old
04-15-2011, 10:47 AM
Dwight
The French Tickler

West Island is where it's at, bro .

Old
04-15-2011, 11:00 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Sigh... marketing execs

I gotta admit though, it's a nice gesture, even though it's only meant to get customers.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 11:03 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Sigh... marketing execs

I gotta admit though, it's a nice gesture, even though it's only meant to get customers.
I think it's more-so meant to not lose customers than to gain new ones. During the post season they probably noticed a drop off so they just want to remind their clients, "hey, we're here, we make Boston style Pizza, but we're a Canadian company and we support the habs. All of our staff are also diehard habs fans!"

I mean lets face it, it's probably not the first place you think of to go see the game even if you are a loyal customer

"Boston" Pizza. It's just rather unfortunate for them really

Old
04-15-2011, 11:03 AM
Patccmoi

Nice publicity stunt imo. I'm sure it'll work for them.

And for anyone who thought it started in Boston, there is no such thing as a Boston Pizza in Boston lol. They have a well known, very good italian district (North End) with tons of pizzerias in it, so that might be why they named it like that.

Patccmoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 11:10 AM
Lucius

Quote:
I think it's more-so meant to not lose customers than to gain new ones. During the post season they probably noticed a drop off so they just want to remind their clients, "hey, we're here, we make Boston style Pizza, but we're a Canadian company and we support the habs. All of our staff are also diehard habs fans!"

I mean lets face it, it's probably not the first place you think of to go see the game even if you are a loyal customer

"Boston" Pizza. It's just rather unfortunate for them really
Yeah, let's not kid ourselves. If this was a Toronto/Boston series, there would be a press release proclaiming it Toronto Pizza.

But nonetheless, while I never would have refused to eat there because of the name (honestly, the association just wouldn't have occurred to me), I may actually go once in the near future because of this stunt.

Plus, we're all talking about them. Which is awesome for them.

I seriously doubt they saw a drop off in business because of the series. Even the most insane Hab fan has to be able to mentally differentiate between a series and a city and restaurant. Boston remains one of my favorite cities to visit in the US. It's a great town. Just because I hate most their sports teams doesn't change that.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote