HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Boston Pizza?

Old
04-15-2011, 11:18 AM
Phousse

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Sigh... marketing execs

I gotta admit though, it's a nice gesture, even though it's only meant to get customers.
What else would it be for though? Doesn't every restaurant want to gain customers rather than lose them?

Phousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 11:23 AM
MtlSportsFan

Boston Pizza is based in Calgary and the one on the West Island is closed !

MtlSportsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 11:31 AM
XperHFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlSportsFan View Post
Boston Pizza is based in Calgary and the one on the West Island is closed !
closed as in... CLOSING ?

XperHFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 11:41 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
depends on who's visiting and time of the month

Man, I haven't been there since.... maybe I was a small kid.

Do they still have peanut shells on the floor?

I remember back in the day, it was either Moes or Jack Asters.

I was just at the West Island for lunch yesterday, had La Perle ... I didn't eat anything else for the entire day.
Ya those dumplings are retardedly addictive... oh man

I usually go for supper but I think the lunch is smart since I wasn't hungry for the rest of the day and don't sleep with that bloated feeling.

If you suck up to the waiters enough they'll hook up your general tao with white meat... haha.. it's way better that way.

Man, time to get La Perle out of my head... no way in hell I'm allowing myself to eat that two days in a row!

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 11:43 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by XperHFB View Post
closed as in... CLOSING ?
He's probably right, I hadn't been in months and I checked their website, no mention of the one in DDO.

One thing I'll say, it was a pretty big waste of an investment for whoever did it. Like I mentioned above, location was just plain bad. Hence why I rarely went. It's a shame they didn't have the common sense to realize what a bad location it was.

EDIT: Just got confirmation from a co-worker, it's definitely closed.

Quote:
Ya those dumplings are retardedly addictive... oh man

I usually go for supper but I think the lunch is smart since I wasn't hungry for the rest of the day and don't sleep with that bloated feeling.

If you suck up to the waiters enough they'll hook up your general tao with white meat... haha.. it's way better that way.

Man, time to get La Perle out of my head... no way in hell I'm allowing myself to eat that two days in a row!
Really? It's funny you should mention it cause the one thing I thought they did really poorly was General Tao, but yet supposedly they're known to have the best General Tao in Montreal? Find it hard to believe but maybe the judge got the special treatment

La Perle is great though, I doubt they ever go under. They're the best on the West Island and even comparable to a lot of downtown Chinese places.

You a west islander as well or do you just drive all the way out here for it? I know I would, their dumplings are only second to Chrysanthemum (now out of business)

Apparently the owners of Chrysanthemum own another restaurant downtown that's far more well known and it's all the same recipes. Forgot the name but it's apparently great.

EDIT: Remember it now, L'Orchidee de Chine on Peel. Never been though.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 11:50 AM
Patrice Brisebois

Rofl.

Different name. Same mediocre, overpriced food.

Patrice Brisebois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 11:51 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrice Brisebois View Post
Rofl.

Different name. Same mediocre, overpriced food.
So let me get this straight, cause I remember you were the guy who hated La Perle with a passion.

You also now hate L'Orchidee de Chine and Chrisanthemum?

Maybe you just hate good food?

PS: As far as I know they had both restaurants and just closed the one, it isn't like they tried to re-open as a different restaurant

Are you Asian? If you are maybe I could understand. I'm Italian and I don't find most Italian restaurants to be that great to be honest. Nobody can make it like mama used to make

But if you aren't, I'm just confused to say the least. What's your take on Chez Lien on the west island then? (Vietnamese) Do you think their food is awful as well? Thinking maybe you just don't like Asian cuisine

Old
04-15-2011, 11:59 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post

Really? It's funny you should mention it cause the one thing I thought they did really poorly was General Tao, but yet supposedly they're known to have the best General Tao in Montreal? Find it hard to believe but maybe the judge got the special treatment

La Perle is great though, I doubt they ever go under. They're the best on the West Island and even comparable to a lot of downtown Chinese places.

You a west islander as well or do you just drive all the way out here for it? I know I would, their dumplings are only second to Chrysanthemum (now out of business)

Apparently the owners of Chrysanthemum own another restaurant downtown that's far more well known and it's all the same recipes. Forgot the name but it's apparently great.

EDIT: Remember it now, L'Orchidee de Chine on Peel. Never been though.
Na, don't live in the WI ... it's really not that far... 15-20 minutes... big whoop... ppl complain too much about distances in this city...way too spoiled.

Oh I agree - their regular general tao is ordinary... that's why you have to REQUEST white meat instead of their default dark meat general tao ... it's an entirely different plate. They'll charge you unless they like you

La Perle is far from authentic though.. but it is awesome regardless.

If you want true authentic Szechuan, try Cuisine Szechuan on Guy St DT (between Sherbrooke and Maisonneuve) -- found out about it on chowhound.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 12:00 PM
Patrice Brisebois

Quote:
So let me get this straight, cause I remember you were the guy who hated La Perle with a passion.

You also now hate L'Orchidee de Chine and Chrisanthemum?

Maybe you just hate good food?

PS: As far as I know they had both restaurants and just closed the one, it isn't like they tried to re-open as a different restaurant

Are you Asian? If you are maybe I could understand. I'm Italian and I don't find most Italian restaurants to be that great to be honest. Nobody can make it like mama used to make

But if you aren't, I'm just confused to say the least. What's your take on Chez Lien on the west island then? (Vietnamese) Do you think their food is awful as well? Thinking maybe you just don't like Asian cuisine
I have no clue what any of the above places you mentioned even are. I think you're thinking of someone else.

Old
04-15-2011, 12:04 PM
neofury*

Quote:
I have no clue what any of the above places you mentioned even are. I think you're thinking of someone else.
Ahh kk, a while back I remember La Perle was brought up in a conversation with somebody, was quite a while ago, thought it was you. I guess that post was referring to Boston Pizza right?

Either way, this person was adamant about how bad La Perle was, saying it was terrible etc.

Quote:
Na, don't live in the WI ... it's really not that far... 15-20 minutes... big whoop... ppl complain too much about distances in this city...way too spoiled.

Oh I agree - their regular general tao is ordinary... that's why you have to REQUEST white meat instead of their default dark meat general tao ... it's an entirely different plate. They'll charge you unless they like you

La Perle is far from authentic though.. but it is awesome regardless.

If you want true authentic Szechuan, try Cuisine Szechuan on Guy St DT (between Sherbrooke and Maisonneuve) -- found out about it on chowhound.
True but a lot of non-WI people practically refuse to come here, let alone know about or visit a restaurant here. Apparently everything here is terrible and far better places can be found elsewhere, and we're just a pack of hooligans who apparently start hockey fights and such

I'm not kidding I've had people say "ewwww" when they asked me where I was from, and even some people who were nice to me when they met me and started to act stuck up once they found out I was from here. Not even kidding you, the most common misconception I hear about is how people from the WI are stuck up, but many times I've told people I was from here and they were totally stuck up and rude to me. I'm not even talking just Francophones, Anglo's from other parts of the city too! Funny part is a lot of them have never even been here and just base their decision about us on hearsay or just bias against us in general.

I'm far from saying the WI is awesome, but it's not a bad place to live at all and the way some people talk about the WI, you'd think it was a horrible place.

I get to live a quick 15-20 min drive from the city, 40 minutes even in traffic. Still have a lot of convenience factor as we have plenty of restaurants, places of business, etc. But I don't have to actually live there, and unlike some other boroughs outside of the city, I don't have to worry about my girlfriend walking to the store and stupid things like that like in other parts of Montreal or just outside. I still have all the conveniences of living in the city aside for the extremes, it isn't like I can't get 50mbit internet here, have to drive far to get groceries, that kind of thing. It's like outsiders don't realize it's a fully functioning area. It isn't as convenient as being in the heart of downtown, but in some other ways it's more convenient, for example driving from point A to B.

Last edited by neofury*: 04-15-2011 at 12:13 PM.
Old
04-15-2011, 12:07 PM
Patrice Brisebois

Yeah, I didn't read the thread.

Was just responding to the OP

Old
04-15-2011, 12:15 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Yeah, I didn't read the thread.

Was just responding to the OP
Yeah was my bad. Only reason I thought you were responding to me is that I could have sworn you were the dude who hated La Perle

Old
04-16-2011, 03:34 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amputechture View Post
Pretty sure BP is Canadian owned and only in Canada. I think the owner is one of the guys on Dragons Den. I have a BP right beside my house in TO. I love it. The service is amazing and I enjoy many different things on the menu so I can constantly change it up.
I've seen a BP in Washington state. Same look, same design, except is called "Boston's"

Yes, the owner is Canadian.

Hackett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 03:38 AM
Theosis
11, 27, 31, 67, 76 ♥

vCash: 50
Quote:
I love La Perle. I actually work right next door to it. I could walk over right now and get the peanut butter dumplings. Mmmmmm peanut butter.
Oh man, La Perle is great, I've been a few times. Never been disappointed.

Theosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 03:48 AM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
They didn't actually change their name, it isn't even really close to St-Jean it's actually right off of Des Sources @ 40.

It apparently was terrible originally, like the first 2-3 months, some friends went and said it was awful but then some relatives went about 6 months after it opened and told me it was amazing.

Don't get me wrong I'd much prefer Jack Astor's, but if it's Pizza I want I'd consider going there, and even their burgers were very good. They got their act together, truth is never go to a restaurant around when they first open, especially if it's a big chain one like Boston Pizza. They usually have to go through a couple fail cooks before they find the right person. It's always been fabulous when I've been, which has been at least 8-9 months+ after they opened.

I did hear it was awful when it first opened though.

Can't say that I disagree but when I went I went with the family and nobody ate Pizza, though they had previously had and enjoyed the pizza. Everyone had something different and everyone enjoyed their meal.

I definitely agree though, Boston was a dumb choice but it probably started in Boston? All I know is that the food is very underrated due to the chain being **** for the most part and them having been so bad when they opened, but I'm sure if you go check it out now you won't regret it.

Like I said I can't vouch for the pizza, but the food overall was very good for that type of food. (General sports bar style)

Why go to a ****hole like Cage when just 1 boulevard over you have a Boston Pizza and a Jack Astor's, that I'll never understand.

Even Le Manoir on the west island (corner of St-Jean + Hymus for you west islanders) plays the games, has about 35 plasma 50"+ TV's all in a small area, practically every table has their own personal 50", the food is amazing bang for buck, quality not the greatest but good value, the pitchers are cheap enough and the crowd is absolutely wild in the playoffs. A much younger crowd goes there now, mix of older and youth, very fun times. It's far better an experience going there for a game than going to Cage where I'm going to spend twice as much on a far ****tier meal and viewing experience.
agreed, manoir aint bad at all

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote