HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Are the Bruins the Sens of old?

Old
04-16-2011, 09:16 PM
Stylizer1
Undertaker for Stars

vCash: 50
Are the Bruins the Sens of old?

This is starting to look eerily like Ottawa vs Toronto from the early 2000's.

Peter Chiarelli brought the curse with him.

Stylizer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 09:19 PM
Afro Thunder*

vCash: 500
Even worse, at least we didn't blow a 3-0 series, and a 3-0 lead in game 7.

Afro Thunder* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 09:21 PM
Smeddy
Intangibles

vCash: 177
the Sens of Olde

Smeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 09:23 PM
L'Aveuglette
Restin' my groin.

It's similar, but we were better than the Bruins are.

L'Aveuglette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 09:24 PM
Gil Gunderson

We had it better, but that's not saying much.

Gil Gunderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 09:25 PM
Smeddy
Intangibles

vCash: 177
If the Bruins lose, the D in my pool takes a huge hit, 4 D, 2 of them being Chara/Kaberle. ************************************************** ******

Smeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
4thliner*

The Sens of old were a lot more talented specially offensively than the Bruins. Bruins actually don't have even one pure skilled game breaking forward like Ottawa did. Savard would be the closest guy who is done.

Also Ottawa had the better D including Chara (when Ottawa use to choke in the playoffs constantly to the Leafs)

They really need Seguin to become a top offensive force for them. Hard working physical guys like Lucic work best with dynamic guys in the line-up. Bruins lack that element.

4thliner* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Stylizer1
Undertaker for Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Aveuglette View Post
It's similar, but we were better than the Bruins are.
So..... we sucked more then by losing?

Old
04-16-2011, 09:32 PM
Ishdul

I think if any of the Bruins, Sharks, Capitals or Canucks don't win a Cup with their current cores they will be compared to the Senators.

Even the Flyers, really.

Ishdul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 09:33 PM
jordan7hm

Ottawa did it for longer and went further. Boston has another couple years of this before they get our mantle of chokers.

The common thread though?

An incredibly overrated defenseman who never shows up in the playoffs (game 6 against Toronto the year before the lockout being the one notable exception - wow he was amazing that game, but that was the first and last time anyone has seen that kind of playoff game out of him).

But no, we made the wrong decision. We'd be much better off paying that goon superstar money to help us lose early rounds and game 7s.

Chara is soft in all the ways that matter. Opposite of a clutch player.

That attitude has infected his team.

Aside from that, their goaltending has let them down in the playoffs. Just like Ottawa's. Obviously Boston's regular season goaltending is a lot better, but so far their playoff goaltending hasn't been. Tim Thomas is not a good goalie in a seven game series. He does not have the fundamentals needed to face the same shooters night after night. Rask could be an answer but last year certainly didn't prove that.

jordan7hm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 09:34 PM
4thliner*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylizer1 View Post
So..... we sucked more then by losing?
Yeah, Ottawa were the bigger chokers. They should have won 1 cup or 2 at least. Never really addressed the GOALTENDING factor or the top 2 line performing grit (until Fisher got to his prime in 2007)

4thliner* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 09:36 PM
Ten Thousand Hours

I must have missed it. When the Bruins make it to the Stanley Cup finals? Sure, you guys never won it all. But we haven't won ****.

Ten Thousand Hours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 09:43 PM
jordan7hm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguin2Couturier View Post
I must have missed it. When the Bruins make it to the Stanley Cup finals? Sure, you guys never won it all. But we haven't won ****.
I don't think that year counts.

I don't count that year at least. That was a different kind of Sens team and there were good results because of it. We're talking about the Sens from about 2001-2006 (or I am at least). I think Ottawa actually got rid of the choking moniker with the 06/07 playoff run (but then Murray ruined us, you know how that goes).

edit:

You need to face Montreal a couple more times, lose for good measure. Then you'll be bigger chokers than the Sens teams of old.

Old
04-16-2011, 09:45 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

I feel really bad for Boston. Their guys out there don't know what to do at ALL. All they can do is hit but yet can't even catch up with their slow guys.

You know it's real bad when Kaberle starts shooting from center ice in order to get a scoring chance or something.

Like someone mentioned above, they need pure-skilled forwards. We had Havlat, Hossa, Alfredsson.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 09:47 PM
Stylizer1
Undertaker for Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguin2Couturier View Post
This is way before the Sens made it to the finals. The years when we became elite and lost to the Leafs 4 out of 5 years.

The problem with the Sens is that Martin's defensive style made us better than we were and covered up holes in our teams. Boston Should be beating the Canadiens.

Old
04-16-2011, 09:52 PM
Sensfanman

Sens were better but what the Habs are doing, and what happened to the Sens, isn't unusual, just unfortunate (IMO).

When teams are outmatched in talent, which the Habs are, playing a style that totally removes the Bruins advantage will make the games even instead of slanted in the better team's favour. The Bruins go from, say, 60/40 favourites to 50/50 even. This can happen by the worse team playing wreckingball style, causing disjoint plays, or by trapping and making no plays able to develop.

When the Habs are the better team, they maintain their advantage and win, when they are worse, they can make the game more even and win more often than they should versus better teams. They won 17 of their 31 games (55%) against teams with better records and 27 of their 51 games (53%) against teams with worse records (records as of end of season). It might work, but it's boring as hell.

I really hope the Bruins bounce back.

Sensfanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 09:54 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan7hm View Post

I don't count that year at least. That was a different kind of Sens team and there were good results because of it. We're talking about the Sens from about 2001-2006 (or I am at least). I think Ottawa actually got rid of the choking moniker with the 06/07 playoff run (but then Murray ruined us, you know how that goes).

edit:

You need to face Montreal a couple more times, lose for good measure. Then you'll be bigger chokers than the Sens teams of old.

Our best prospect was also Cody Bass at the time. Damn you Murray for what you made it now.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 09:56 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:

edit:

Murray had nothing to do with the departures/regressions of Chara, Redden, Havlat, Emery, Alfie aging..couldn't do much about Heatley either considering he nixed a good deal. Garbage.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 09:59 PM
jordan7hm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Murray had nothing to do with the departures/regressions of Chara, Redden, Havlat, Emery, Alfie aging..couldn't do much about Heatley either considering he nixed a good deal. Garbage.
Chara sucks, I believe I went over that.

And you're right, the GM isn't responsible for the success of his team, my bad.

Old
04-16-2011, 10:02 PM
Ten Thousand Hours

Quote:

edit:

All right. I figured that team counted because you still had CASH, Phillips and Redden. If it doesn't, then we're on the right track.

Ten Thousand Hours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 10:09 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

if vancouver loses again this year, they are the sens, and chicago is their toronto.

04-16-2011, 10:15 PM
Xspyrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
But some people simply choose to be in denial and explain the downfall of their favorite team because of 1 particular individual, rather than accept reality that their team is nothing special and has to go through the natural cycle of life, like everything else.

There's so many factors that decide the fate of a sports team but since people are generally shortsighted, they'd rather overlook it and decide to call it the simple way. That's just how human nature goes. It's called the law of least effort

But remember, I'm delusional anyway

Last edited by Xspyrit: 04-16-2011 at 10:24 PM.
Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 10:18 PM
Magix

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
I feel really bad for Boston. Their guys out there don't know what to do at ALL. All they can do is hit but yet can't even catch up with their slow guys.

You know it's real bad when Kaberle starts shooting from center ice in order to get a scoring chance or something.

Like someone mentioned above, they need pure-skilled forwards. We had Havlat, Hossa, Alfredsson.
Exactly what I was thinking when watching the game tonight. They need someone who can create something out of nothing or just flat out take over a game. (Sadly he is too young to contribute).

Magix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 10:22 PM
BIitz
BPA Free Lining

Quote:
Originally Posted by magix View Post
Exactly what I was thinking when watching the game tonight. They need someone who can create something out of nothing or just flat out take over a game. (Sadly he is too young to contribute).
(Sadly he is on another team now)

BIitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 10:28 PM
jordan7hm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xspyrit View Post
But some people simply choose to be in denial and explain the downfall of their favorite team because of 1 particular individual, rather than accept reality that their team is nothing special and has to go through the natural cycle of life, like everything else.

There's so many factors that decide the fate of a sports team but since people are generally shortsighted, they'd rather overlook it and decide to call it the simple way. That's just how human nature goes. It's called the law of least effort

But remember, I'm delusional anyway
I believe in accountability. Failure is not acceptable in any aspect of a business, particularly failure in personnel management and operations. I guess you're ok being mediocre though. That's cool, but I'd rather you cheer for a different team in that case. Perhaps the Leafs could use another fan. I hear they enjoy mediocrity. You'd fit right in. Or BM is hiring again. I believe that one of the job qualifications is an inability to say no. Maybe that's your style?