HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Can't remove screw from helmet - Help/Suggestions?

Old
04-16-2011, 06:25 PM
Ajax02
Sauce.

vCash: 500
Can't remove screw from helmet - Help/Suggestions?

So I'm trying to put a new visor on my helmet (rbk 6k) and I can't for the life of me remove the screw that secures the side clip.

As you can see in this picture, the circular part is not secure so when I try to unscrew it turns with the screw.

I tried pliers, multiple screw drivers, but because the piece is so thin nothing I use can get a hold of it. Do you guys think the rust is adding to the problem? Should I try wd-40 or something?

I'm out of options, so I come to you, we've got some pretty crafty people here so any help is appreciated.

Ajax02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 07:05 PM
doobie604

must be rusted in there... spray some wd40 or whatever kind penetrating fluid, let it sit for a bit and then try again. if that doesn't work then just drill out the screw.

doobie604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 07:09 PM
gluvhand

You could try putting a small shim or small screwdriver head under the head of the screw or between the two pieces of plastic in picture number two. It might give you the little bit of bite you need. A little WD wouldn't hurt either. Is there any of the slot left on the nut? If so, get a small screwdriver on it, to keep it from spinning, while you back out the screw.

gluvhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 08:37 PM
beth

I'd do WD40 as suggested and use vice grips to hold the circle part. Those things are awesome for gripping things - one of your neighbors might have vice grips to borrow if you don't have any.

beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 09:35 PM
BlackDog13

The rust is the root of your problem. As others have already said, shoot some WD40 in there (make sure you don't get any on the foam padding), let it sit for a few minutes and give it another try. Once you've got it out, pick up all new mounting hardware (you've got a lot of corrosion on yours) and apply a little dab of synthetic grease (SuperLube is good for this) to the threads of each bolt before you screw them in, this will help prevent this from happening again.

BlackDog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 10:21 PM
Ajax02
Sauce.

Got it! thanks for ur help everybody!

WD40 and two flatheads did the trick, took me a damn long time tho!

Last edited by Ajax02: 04-16-2011 at 10:39 PM.
Ajax02 is offline   Reply With Quote