HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

+/- Penguins vs. Lightning: Lightning Win 5-1, Series Tied 1-1

Old
04-15-2011, 08:58 PM
Ugene Malkin
Experience & VooDoo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staal11fan View Post
-refs. staal gets called for boarding.

-refs. neal gets a stick ing the chops (no call) TB scores on the rush
Only Staals was a penalty. Staal hit him after the puck was gone and Neal got hit by the puck.

Edit:

Ugene Malkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 08:59 PM
Milliardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skk82 View Post
Brad Richards. A superior playmaker and excellent center.

When Neal gets to play with Crosby or Malkin, I suspect he'll be back in 20+ goal form (instead of 1 goal every 20 games).
I just don't buy that. He has 2-3 scoring chances in most games, how many did he have in Dallas? Don't tell me they were all tap ins in to empty nets. It really starts to not be snake bitten anymore.

Milliardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 09:00 PM
Milliardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Martin View Post
Hmm.....Benn, Richards, Eriksson, Ribeiro, that's how.
you mean they actually scored for him?

Since Neal is here, I think pretty much every other forward we have has scored 1 lousy goal as well, he really starts to run out of excuses.

Old
04-15-2011, 09:00 PM
Happy Penguin

+Adams notches a rare goal (unless you listen to Steigy and Errey)

-Forwards lackluster pursuit in the 1st period. Tampa forwards came back and helped there D but it seems like we just can't do that in the 1st period vs. Tampa so far
-Horrendous PP so much so we the Pens can't figure out how to enter the zone and gain possession.
-Too many dumb penalties taken.

Fleury was somewhat lackluster but not really at fault. We have great D men but our forwards have to come back and help too. Power play completely ineffective. Took so many bad penalties all game long. Lack of scoring from our best players.

Happy Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 09:01 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milliardo View Post
I just don't buy that. He has 2-3 scoring chances in most game, how many did he have in Dallas? Don't tell me they were all tap ins in to empty nets. It really starts to not be snake bitten anymore.
What does it become then? One of the best young power forwards in the NHL just suddenly became Craig Adams? I don't buy that. He's going through an awful slump, and has nobody to play with, at C or opposing wing (Kovalev is brutal, I love the guy but hang 'em up after this season, it's embarrassing to watch).

This team's entire offense is ****, from top to bottom--for months. It's more than black and white with Neal. Why can't people accept that fact?

Coach John McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 09:04 PM

- The Pens PP is so bad that people (including me) were booing when we had it in the third period. ****ing pathetic.

- Everything about this game, except 8 minutes in the second period.

Especially Martin, Letang, MAF, and maybe everyone else not named Orpik or Asham.

+ New record crowd. The people showed up.. team didn't.

3074326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 09:06 PM
Milliardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach John McGuirk View Post
What does it become then? One of the best young power forwards in the NHL just suddenly became Craig Adams? I don't buy that. He's going through an awful slump, and has nobody to play with, at C or opposing wing (Kovalev is brutal, I love the guy but hang 'em up after this season, it's embarrassing to watch).

This team's entire offense is ****, from top to bottom--for months. It's more than black and white with Neal. Why can't people accept that fact?
Yes, I can, but maybe it's also time to accept that he ist just not playing well. In the end, what counts are results, nothing else.

I understand, people want to be sure the Pens won the trade, but we're definitely better off with Gogo than Neal right now, that's a fact. Yes, he will probably score 20+ goals with Crosby or Malkin and yes, he does back check well and lay some nice hits, that's not what we got him for though.

Old
04-15-2011, 09:07 PM
Pancakes

kris letang is a big part of the reason the powerplay is so bad. he does just about everything about powerplasy wrong. he needs to have a talk with paul coffey about how to stop being such a bad qb.

Pancakes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 09:08 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

vCash: 1012
Looks like I haven't missed much. I was at the Tigres vs Sea Dogs game to watch Simon Desprès eliminate my hometown team. Crappy hockey night fo' me

JordanStaal#1Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 09:09 PM
Ugene Malkin
Experience & VooDoo

Quote:
you mean they actually scored for him?

Since Neal is here, I think pretty much every other forward we have has scored 1 lousy goal as well, he really starts to run out of excuses.
Only one line has been consistent and guess why?

They're the only ones familiar with each other. (Kunitz/Cooke, Staal, Kennedy)

Kovalev & Neal have done pretty good considering changing teams/systems/linemates.

Their coming around and even Hossa wasn't clicking until some time in the second round. Players are not always gonna click when they come here. Especially when this team had over 300+ man games lost to mostly top forwards & D-man.

Letestu as good as he is isn't a great #1/2 center. I sure wish Jeffrey didn't go down.

Old
04-15-2011, 09:10 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 50
+Orpik
+Asham
+Adams
+ The Fans
+ Game is over

- Everything and everyone else.

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 09:11 PM
cassius

Neal, Staal, and Letang all folded big time tonight.

cassius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 09:12 PM
lastcupever75
NY Roadkill

only pluses i can muster up are

+ chester- played well all game
+brooks- for most of the game
+nealy- for the first 15 minutes of the game

everyone else is a minus or unremarkable

-special mention to martin who's limp wristed attempts at controlling the puck either bounced off his stick or were easily taken from the lightning. brought back nightmares of ryan whitney

- the fans who thought this would be an easy series for the pens after game 1

Last edited by lastcupever75: 04-15-2011 at 09:17 PM.
lastcupever75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 09:14 PM
Happy Penguin

Quote:
Hmm.....Benn, Richards, Eriksson, Ribeiro, that's how.
True story. Complain about Neals lack of scoring all you want but that line has been unproductive since they put it together. In fact the only time I recall these guys putting together a nice scoring play was in game 1 of this series when Neal setup Kovy for a goal. So it 20 games with all the ice time they had together they've only setup a nice scoring setup a couple times total? The rest of the time they are just throwing the puck on the net or trying to do it all themselves (neal does this a lot because there is nothing else there). Not knocking coach bylsma for keeping them together. They should be producing but if you add Kovy, Neal and Nisky's goals all together its less that Gogo has had with Dallas since the trade. Go figure.

Old

+ Letestu... thought he played well. He was very active and what he lacks in speed, he made up for in work ethic. He was on a lot of loose pucks and got some shots off.

+ Orpik... kept up that mean game.

- The Pens are way to easy to defend against. They need some east/ west to their game against Rollie. Especially when pucks are down low. The Pens need to attack that weak side post. Rollies playing ultra aggressive and lured to the shooter.

- The Pens wraps and dump ins need to be placed better. They seemed to be doing a better job in the 3rd but we'll see what happens next game.

- Bad defense most of the night. They didn't protect the middle of the ice well, ran around and handled the puck like it was a time bomb.

- Powder puff 3rd. No *****es were ground upon. Leave a mark on them for the next game.

- I really want to kill Matt Cooke right now. We need him badly IMO.

-

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
AK

It was a fun atmosphere tonight. I was glad to be there, even with the utter **** first and third periods. Most exciting action other than the few minutes in the second was an all-out brawl in the upper concourse between the second and third periods. Two guys were legitimately swinging before security pounded on them.

I know it won't be a consolation to most tonight, but this team is going to scary, scary good with Crosby and Malkin in the lineup next year.

AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 09:16 PM
Ugene Malkin
Experience & VooDoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK View Post
It was a fun atmosphere tonight. I was glad to be there, even with the utter **** first and third periods. Most exciting action other than the few minutes in the second was an all-out brawl in the upper concourse between the second and third periods. Two guys were legitimately swinging before security pounded on them.

I know it won't be a consolation to most tonight, but this team is going to scary, scary good with Crosby and Malkin in the lineup next year.
Ya, if I said once or said it twice, next season this team is gonna train wreck the league.

Old
04-15-2011, 09:16 PM
Milliardo

Quote:
Only one line has been consistent and guess why?

They're the only ones familiar with each other. (Kunitz/Cooke, Staal, Kennedy)

Kovalev & Neal have done pretty good considering changing teams/systems/linemates.

Their coming around and even Hossa wasn't clicking until some time in the second round. Players are not always gonna click when they come here. Especially when this team had over 300+ man games lost to mostly top forwards & D-man.

Letestu as good as he is isn't a great #1/2 center. I sure wish Jeffrey didn't go down.
Yes, it's not like a totally disagree. But even Kovalev has 3 goals already and he's 38. And while Hossa didn't produce at a 100 points pace, he was productive and very dangerous all the time. Plus he came back from the injury sustained in his first game as a Pen. Actually, I don't know why Hossa is in the conversation, it's not even close.

And saying Neal and Kovalev have been doing pretty good is an exaggeration at its finest. They don't suck, but please, we all expected more, especially from Neal.

Old
04-15-2011, 09:20 PM
Happy Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancakes View Post
kris letang is a big part of the reason the powerplay is so bad. he does just about everything about powerplasy wrong. he needs to have a talk with paul coffey about how to stop being such a bad qb.

Maybe EJ can ask Bobby Orr to give him some pointers.

Old
04-15-2011, 09:21 PM
muffinarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin View Post
- Letang. Putrid. Nuff said. Doesn't deserve playing time right now.
- Staal. Ready to hire Missing Persons to find this guy. While they're at it, maybe find Letangs game.
- James 'Ponikarosky' Neal. We have enough griders James. Holy Hell I thought Dupuis had stone hands.
- Fleury. Bad game. But since he's been our best player for months, I guess he's allowed a bad night.
- Martin. Worst game I've seen from him all year.
- PP. Maybe the most embarassing PP in the history of organized hockey.

+ Asham played well.
All I can do is concur on all counts. Letang is beyond awful now - worn out or injured, who knows? Just brutal. I have no idea how Neal can never hit the net at all, ever. But seriously, when your top line is Kovalev Letestu Neal, you know you're utterly screwed.

muffinarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 09:23 PM
muffinarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassius View Post
Neal, Staal, and Letang all folded big time tonight.
I really don't know which one is playing worse. Bring back that line of Primeau (not the good one) Beranek and Corbet.

muffinarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 09:24 PM
Ugene Malkin
Experience & VooDoo

Quote:
Yes, it's not like a totally disagree. But even Kovalev has 3 goals already and he's 38. And while Hossa didn't produce at a 100 points pace, he was productive and very dangerous all the time. Plus he came back from the injury sustained in his first game as a Pen. Actually, I don't know why Hossa is in the conversation, it's not even close.

And saying Neal and Kovalev have been doing pretty good is an exaggeration at its finest. They don't suck, but please, we all expected more, especially from Neal.
I think they have considering the position they were traded into. The pens didn't trade for a Kovalev of once upon a time, and Neal is very young in unfamiliar territory.

What do you want to do trade Neal?

The point was not every player is going to transition well in every trade. Remember this, Hossa had the likes of Crosby and Malkin to lean on and who do Neal & Kovalev have?

Doesn't really matter the name though because it's true either way.

Old
04-15-2011, 09:24 PM
Common Sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
- I really want to kill Matt Cooke right now. We need him badly IMO.
Why? We don't need them getting even more Power Play time.

Common Sense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 09:26 PM
froods
Millerrrrrrr!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK View Post

It is very hard not to look past this season. Anything they accomplish this season is just icing to me, next season is going to be record setting epic.

Note-The power play still needs fixed (we are not gaining any defenseman)

froods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 09:26 PM
Happy Penguin

Quote:
And while Hossa didn't produce at a 100 points pace, he was productive and very dangerous all the time. Plus he came back from the injury sustained in his first game as a Pen. Actually, I don't know why Hossa is in the conversation, it's not even close.
Its not surprising people comparing Neals lack of production to Hossa's back when he came to town. But what I recall is Hossa didn't do anything the last few weeks of the season (sid was hurt and when he came back hossa was hurt so they didn't play much together). And then people were screaming for blood because Hossa didn't do anything in the 1st round and was barely noticeable the 2nd round. He finally showed signs of contributing in the conference finals and actually performed in the stanley cup series. It confuses me when people say Hossa played well here.