HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

+/- Penguins vs. Lightning: Lightning Win 5-1, Series Tied 1-1

Old
04-15-2011, 10:56 PM
Milliardo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Penguin View Post
Was thinking more along the lines of the pass he fed Michalek who rang it off the crossbar tonite. But yea Letang's judgement is really bad at times. Again maybe thats a sign he's playing too many minutes and its catching up to him.
Fatigue is the main reason for mistakes one normally doesn't make along with being nervous. He didn't look nervous to me at all, which leaves...but I still don't know why he looks like he doesn't give a ****.

Milliardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 10:58 PM
SEALBound

This series is easy to figure out:

Penguins...

play defense, stay out of the box = win games

Penguins...

don't play defense, take penalties = lose games

I really hope they figure that out soon.

SEALBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 11:00 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Spreadin Cheer;Mumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakunitz23 View Post
-Officiating

Don't need to say much else, honestly. They might as well put up a sign that says "Hey Pittsburgh, we're ****ing you tonight". So many missed calls. It was almost as though they called 1 out of every 3 penalties against Tampa, and were searching for calls against us. Hopefully that "evens" it out, and they cut the ********. Even though it wouldn't have helped, we should have had about 10 or 12 power plays this game.
Don't be that guy.

It was pathetic when Lightning fans blamed the refs last game, and it would be pathetic for any Pens fan to blame the refs after this utterly **** effort. They played like hot garbage and got exactly what they deserved. Did the refs make Letang commit that stupid pinch? Did the refs make Martin bobble the puck in the neutral zone? Did the refs make Martin lose his man and Letang let Lecavalier stroll into the crease for a goal? Did the refs make Fleury let in a bad angle shot from the corner?

The refs are the least of their worries.

Is it so hard for people to direct criticism inward?

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 11:01 PM
cassius

Quote:
Originally Posted by froods View Post
Neal is playing well BTW, he just isn't scoring. Is the fact that he is not scoring dissappointing? of course it is. The person who called him Poni doesn't understand hockey. Poni wasn't playing well in any aspect. He was a one trick "poni"
We didn't bring in Neal to be a grinder - we brought him in to score goals. He hasn't delivered in the least.

cassius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Spreadin Cheer;Mumps

Also, let's get Engelland up in this mother. Niskanen and Lovejoy give us too much of what we already have.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
NastyNick

- Kris Letang, boy has he sucked in the playoffs so far. Mediocre game in game 1, and absolutely terrible tonight. What in the world was he doing on goal #1. Can someone tell me? He pinched, but didn't get into a scoring position, just kinda skated into the corner and let Tampa take an easy 2 on 1. Then his powerplay performance... Hes taken a nose dive since Sid & Geno went out.

- Fleury, i kept my mouth shut while the Fleury love fest was going on, but this has been the trend the last 2 years. First shot, goal. And it always gets worse. Fleury just isn't consistent. Roloson looked good both games. Fleury had a solid game 1, and a miserable game 2. Getting upstaged by a 40 year old.. that aint cool.

- Kennedy, kinda hit a brick wall once the playoffs started. We desperately need the scoring too.

- Martin, drinking from the same cup as Letang. Can't be too mad since his blooper was mostly bad luck. He didn't skate himself into the corner.

+ Orpik, at least someone kept the pace

+ Michalek, no question hes our #1 d, offense and defense. I might get laughed at for this, but hes starting to look a little Lidstrom-like. Hes the only thing i like about the PP. Would have loved to see him get a full season to learn it.

+ Neal, everyone might hate him for not scoring, but this guy is noticable every shift. He hits, makes room, controls the puck. I can't be mad about his production when hes doing the system the way it should be done.

-- Missing Matt Cooke.. he would have been nice to have today.. just to knock the Tampa players around a little.

NastyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 11:03 PM
froods
Millerrrrrrr!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post
Don't be that guy.

It was pathetic when Lightning fans blamed the refs last game, and it would be pathetic for any Pens fan to blame the refs after this utterly **** effort. They played like hot garbage and got exactly what they deserved. The refs are the least of their worries.

Is it so hard for people to direct criticism inward?
There were missed calls in game 1, they made up for it in game 2 early. Everybody knew it was coming, including the Pens, they had a chance to kill them off, and they didn't. The Refs didn't let LeCavalier get position, or prevent Flower from stopping the puck.

froods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 11:04 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Expectations were really to high on Pony. He was suspended two games and he got 9 points in 16 games(a 46/47 point pace over 82 games). Not bad if you ask me. He was missed used as well. And you can't score goals/points on the bench. Do you see Neal or Kovalev being benched? Granted who's missing off the roster.

I find that astonishing considering that. Pony was Pony, but everyone wanted top winger like production.

I think he'd been fine here this season, but not for the price he signed for.

Pony--->Pens fans overreaction. So what that he stunk it up with L.A., he got the same treatment there he got here.

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 11:05 PM
cassius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Penguin View Post
Its not surprising people comparing Neals lack of production to Hossa's back when he came to town. But what I recall is Hossa didn't do anything the last few weeks of the season (sid was hurt and when he came back hossa was hurt so they didn't play much together). And then people were screaming for blood because Hossa didn't do anything in the 1st round and was barely noticeable the 2nd round. He finally showed signs of contributing in the conference finals and actually performed in the stanley cup series. It confuses me when people say Hossa played well here.
Hah wow - is this a serious post? This is great.

Ya I mean you are totally right. Hossa really wasn't all that great.. Scoring at a ppg+ pace while playing Selke defense on the way to a cup final.... Totally meh. I'll take Neal over him ANYDAY.

Old
04-15-2011, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Martin View Post
Expectations were really to high on Pony. He was suspended two games and he got 9 points in 16 games(a 46/47 point pace over 82 games). Not bad if you ask me. He was missed used as well. And you can't score goals/points on the bench. Do you see Neal or Kovalev being benched? Granted who's missing off the roster.

I find that astonishing considering that. Pony was Pony, but everyone wanted top winger like production.

Pony--->Pens fans overreaction. So what that he stunk it up with L.A., he got the same treatment there he got here.
I thought he looked pretty terrible on the ice. I'm honestly shocked that he had that many points.

Not trying to overreact. I'm not usually that guy.

3074326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 11:10 PM
froods
Millerrrrrrr!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Martin View Post

He was a healthy scratch in the playoffs, he fell apart

Old
04-15-2011, 11:15 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3074326 View Post
I thought he looked pretty terrible on the ice. I'm honestly shocked that he had that many points.

Not trying to overreact. I'm not usually that guy.
It's not that he wasn't "good" it was he wasn't great in the transition and when he got suspended for two for a hit trying to play the system really stunted his transition as well.

Not every player is gonna transition well when changing teams/systems, but he was producing and that's all that should have mattered. I mean using scrubs on the PP for wingers and you have Pony who's a great guy in front of the net on the PP, Baffling back then. Look how DB and company run the PP now, it's actually worse even with Malkin & Crosby in there.

Old
04-15-2011, 11:18 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
To me, Kris Letang gave this game away almost single-handed. That pinch was beyond stupid and changed the outlook of the game. On top of that, he was pitiful defensively and can't do crap offensively either. That was honestly the worst game I've ever seen from Letang.

As soon as I saw him pinch I knew we were in trouble. I cannot imagine why an NHL player would think of coming in at that point. That was pathetic.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 11:19 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by froods View Post
He was a healthy scratch in the playoffs, he fell apart
They didn't exactly put any faith into him neither or use him right.

This one is on the coach. DB = grind and Pony = semi skilled.

Old
04-15-2011, 11:23 PM
cassius

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
To me, Kris Letang gave this game away almost single-handed. That pinch was beyond stupid and changed the outlook of the game. On top of that, he was pitiful defensively and can't do crap offensively either. That was honestly the worst game I've ever seen from Letang.

As soon as I saw him pinch I knew we were in trouble. I cannot imagine why an NHL player would think of coming in at that point. That was pathetic.
Agreed. Is Letang becoming our Mike Green? Awesome regular season player, but very mistake prone when it comes to the playoffs.

Old
04-15-2011, 11:24 PM
froods
Millerrrrrrr!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post

Amen. Not only that, but he let Vinny just walk right to the front of the net on the second goal too. Martin just got caught in a weird situation on the 3rd goal, not a complete mental error like Letang on the first two.

Old
04-15-2011, 11:26 PM
lastcupever75
NY Roadkill

Quote:
Also, let's get Engelland up in this mother. Niskanen and Lovejoy give us too much of what we already have.

tampa is camping out in front of the net and after the whistle trying to get int MAFs head

and you're right on with that last statement... reminds me a bit of the gogo, letang, goonch,leopold group last year.

too many similar styles

Last edited by lastcupever75: 04-15-2011 at 11:40 PM.
lastcupever75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 11:28 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPenalty View Post
Fleury, i kept my mouth shut while the Fleury love fest was going on, but this has been the trend the last 2 years. First shot, goal. And it always gets worse. Fleury just isn't consistent. Roloson looked good both games. Fleury had a solid game 1, and a miserable game 2. Getting upstaged by a 40 year old.. that aint cool.

- Kennedy, kinda hit a brick wall once the playoffs started. We desperately need the scoring too.
Well one of the good things about MAF is that after a sub-par playoff game he usually bounces back and is clutch (i.e. see Game 5 of the '09 SCF and then Games 6and 7 afterwards to see my point) from then on in. And Roloson isn't all that and a bag of chips either.

As for ManBearPig, we're only 2 games into the playoffs and the kid just finished having his best regular season ever not to mention his first as a 20+ goal scorer. He'll be fine. Personally I'm more concerned about that Staal brother we have on our team. Y'know the 4.5 million dollar invisable one? Which one is he again? Jordan isn't it, or is it Jared?

MetalheadPenguinsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 11:30 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Also, let's get Engelland up in this mother.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastcupever75 View Post

tampa is camoping out in front of the net and after the whistle trying to get int MAFs head
An Engo vs. Bugsy scrap would be interesting me thinks.

MetalheadPenguinsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2011, 11:32 PM
SEALBound

Defense is the primary reason Fleury plays well and the primary reason we've been winning.

Defense has mediocre game...we lose.

SEALBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadPenguinsFan View Post
Well one of the good things about MAF is that after a sub-par playoff game he usually bounces back and is clutch (i.e. see Game 5 of the '09 SCF and then Games 6and 7 afterwards to see my point) from then on in. And Roloson isn't all that and a bag of chips either.

As for ManBearPig, we're only 2 games into the playoffs and the kid just finished having his best regular season ever not to mention his first as a 20+ goal scorer. He'll be fine. Personally I'm more concerned about that Staal brother we have on our team. Y'know the 4.5 million dollar invisable one? Which one is he again? Jordan isn't it, or is it Jared?
Lets see what he does this season because there was another playoff season after that one and he stunk it up. This year I see it as the Pens as a whole gather their thoughts again and prove why they're one of the better road teams.

Some players have a lot of making up to do for tonights failure.

Old
lastcupever75
NY Roadkill

either most of you have really short memories or tonights play has completely erased what you saw in game 1.

letang had a great game in game 1. and no it doesn't excuse him from playing like crap tonight.

as did neal

Old
04-15-2011, 11:34 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastcupever75 View Post
either most of you have really short memories or tonights play has completely erased what you saw in game 1.

letang had a great game in game 1. and no it doesn't excuse him from playing like crap tonight.

as did neal
"Coaching"

Old
04-15-2011, 11:34 PM
lastcupever75
NY Roadkill

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadPenguinsFan View Post
An Engo vs. Bugsy scrap would be interesting me thinks.
i dont think malone wants any part of that. he's willing but not very good at fighting.
i think DE busts him up if he doesn't try and hold on

Old
04-15-2011, 11:37 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
The decision to put Lovejoy in there instead of Engo boggles my mind. Bylsma is a heck of a coach, but he makes terrible rookie mistakes. Engo is the right guy in this series. It's not even close.

Unless Deryk has an injury we don't know about, he should be in for Game 3.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote