HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

POTG & GBR: ECQF Game 2 @ Washington Capitals

View Poll Results: Player of the Game: ECQF Game 2 @ Washington Capitals
Sean Avery 28 27.45%
Brian Boyle 2 1.96%
Ruslan Fedotenko 4 3.92%
Dan Girardi 0 0%
Henrik Lundqvist 52 50.98%
Ryan McDonagh 1 0.98%
Brandon Prust 2 1.96%
Michael Sauer 1 0.98%
Marc Staal 3 2.94%
Derek Stepan 2 1.96%
Other 7 6.86%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-16-2011, 12:23 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by devito1192 View Post
well didnt know we were talking about anything other than this series. but good to know you disagree with a guy that has forgotten more about hockey than you will ever know. oh and milbury said this during the olympics, do you want me to list all the names on the russian team he was referring to?
Yes, I sit on the edge of my seat waiting to be taught a great and wise lesson from the guy who traded Luongo because of Dipietro and the other brilliant moves of his that left the Islanders in shambles.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 12:23 AM
MorrisWanchuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by devito1192 View Post
well didnt know we were talking about anything other than this series. but good to know you disagree with a guy that has forgotten more about hockey than you will ever know. oh and milbury said this during the olympics, do you want me to list all the names on the russian team he was referring to?
i wouldn't want you to quote to me anything that mike milbury has to say

MorrisWanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 12:24 AM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Flesh View Post
has nothing to do with it.
Talent has nothing to do with it?

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 12:26 AM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Yes, I sit on the edge of my seat waiting to be taught a great and wise lesson from the guy who traded Luongo because of Dipietro and the other brilliant moves of his that left the Islanders in shambles.
i respect him as an analyst not a gm. 2 different things. when he said that he wasn't talking about building a team he was pointing out how euro players are soft and play a different game.

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 12:26 AM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorrisWanchuk View Post
i wouldn't want you to quote to me anything that mike milbury has to say
nice exit strategy

i also like how in your list you include potential hall of famers but left off guys like kovalev and zherdev.

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 12:27 AM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 350
I hope the Rangers can pull it out, but I know they won't. We'll be lucky to get a win, two wins at the moment seems rather unthinkable. I'm just looking forward to the off season. It's time to sign Richards and clean house. A lot of these guys don't deserve to wear Ranger blue.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 12:33 AM
Dantes19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
Gaborik when hes on his game doenst need anyone, and thats why he looked head and shoulders better than everyone else on the rangers roster these past 2 games...but if hes literally the only offensive weapon you got, how easy does that make it for the other team to defend him? shut down gabby, and its game over, u win.
I would agree that usually when a team only has one weapon, he can be shut down. I understand what you're saying, and it seems obvious to me that Gaborik with some sort of physical ailment(s).

In the past, Gaborik was able to more easily take a team on his shoulders, even when not surrounded with offensive dynamos. In the 2003 playoffs, Gaborik was playing for a Minnesota Wild team that was even worse offensively than the 2011 Rangers. In 18 playoff games, he scored 9 goals and had 17 points. Although his centerman Walz put up solid numbers, Gaborik really drove that line and helped create a number of the chances Walz buried. He created offense not only for himself, but also for his linemates, despite being 'the guy' that the opposition wanted to shut down (and the only real scorer on his team). We haven't really seen that type of performance from Gaborik this year, unfortunately, perhaps in part because something physical is holding him back (and in part because of Washington's defensive efforts).

Dantes19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 12:36 AM
Dantes19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger de FLA View Post
His game's just off. Has been all year. I think because the shoulder injury knocked him off. Lecavalier was similar. Took him a while to start playing his game again.

How come he was able to dominate the lesser teams? Was he injured then?
Yes, I would say that he probably was injured then. Perhaps he was able to dominate lesser teams because they were lesser teams. I agree that his game's been off, but I'm not saying that he's been crippled. He's been able to score in spots, often against teams with poor defenses, but he's clearly not playing on the same level he was last year.

Old
04-16-2011, 12:36 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantes19 View Post
I would agree that usually when a team only has one weapon, he can be shut down. I understand what you're saying, and it seems obvious to me that Gaborik with some sort of physical ailment(s).

In the past, Gaborik was able to more easily take a team on his shoulders, even when not surrounded with offensive dynamos. In the 2003 playoffs, Gaborik was playing for a Minnesota Wild team that was even worse offensively than the 2011 Rangers. In 18 playoff games, he scored 9 goals and had 17 points. Although his centerman Walz put up solid numbers, Gaborik really drove that line and helped create a number of the chances Walz buried. He created offense not only for himself, but also for his linemates, despite being 'the guy' that the opposition wanted to shut down (and the only real scorer on his team). We haven't really seen that type of performance from Gaborik this year, unfortunately, perhaps in part because something physical is holding him back.
i think his shot isn't nearly as powerful as last season, and im sure its because of that shoulder injury. with that said, Washington also gets some credit here, not only are they blocking shots, but they are getting in those lanes making Gaborik HAVE to pass up on shots because they will get blocked. Washington has played a damn near flawless 2 games so far imho.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 12:37 AM
In The Flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
I hope the Rangers can pull it out, but I know they won't. We'll be lucky to get a win, two wins at the moment seems rather unthinkable. I'm just looking forward to the off season. It's time to sign Richards and clean house. A lot of these guys don't deserve to wear Ranger blue.
We're down 2-0 and coming home.

Not down 3-0 and playing game 4 on the road.

This franchise cleans house more often than any other team in the leauge.

We have the highest roster turnover year to year than anyone.

It's time to sign another big name FA to a long deal? ? Cause that's worked out.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 12:37 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantes19 View Post
Yes, I would say that he probably was injured then. Perhaps he was able to dominate lesser teams because they were lesser teams. I agree that his game's been off, but I'm not saying that he's been crippled. He's been able to score in spots, often against teams with poor defenses, but he's clearly not playing on the same level he was last year.
gabbys goals though, for the most part, have been him just going to the net and getting garbage...last year he was doing that AND scoring with wristers from 30 feet out. half his game is gone when his shot disappeared. the velocity is CLEARLY down.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 12:40 AM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus View Post
Relax, friend. You and I are in agreement. I'm merely using your posts as a springboard for sarcasm about others' positions. A little levity on a disappointing night and all that.

Not likely. As far as philosopny goes, the dude could be my twin ... except where Brad Richards is concerned.
sorry muchacho, didn't mean to be a jerk. little testy i guess, but i'm actually at peace this postseason. i'm not expecting much so i'm not disappointed.

i just ant to know that the future will be brighter for this team. i'm going to have to wait until July to find that out.

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 12:40 AM
Dantes19

Quote:
i think his shot isn't nearly as powerful as last season, and im sure its because of that shoulder injury. with that said, Washington also gets some credit here, not only are they blocking shots, but they are getting in those lanes making Gaborik HAVE to pass up on shots because they will get blocked. Washington has played a damn near flawless 2 games so far imho.

I agree with you. I edited my post shortly after I posted it because I realized that I made it seem like Washington deserved no credit for the fact taht Gaborik's been scoreless. I agree with you that their D has been great. But, like I said, in the past Gaborik has done a lot more in the playoffs with even less in terms of linemate talent, while still being the main focus of the other teams (even more so back then).

Old
04-16-2011, 12:42 AM
Dantes19

Quote:
gabbys goals though, for the most part, have been him just going to the net and getting garbage...last year he was doing that AND scoring with wristers from 30 feet out. half his game is gone when his shot disappeared. the velocity is CLEARLY down.

I agree, and that's what I was trying to get at (you articulated it better). He's obviously not playing even close to 100% health, and like you said, his shot seems neutered.

Old
04-16-2011, 12:48 AM
NikC

Quote:
We're down 2-0 and coming home.

Not down 3-0 and playing game 4 on the road.

This franchise cleans house more often than any other team in the leauge.

We have the highest roster turnover year to year than anyone.

It's time to sign another big name FA to a long deal? ? Cause that's worked out.
There's a good core in place, but there's quite a bit of redundancy in terms of player types in this roster. too much third line talent.

It's time to sign a 90p FA center is what time it is. There shouldn't be an aversion to signing FAs as long as they're the right ones.

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 12:51 AM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
I want them to just play with some damn heart. They dont have to win this series, no one is expecting them to but at least take the series deep, hit hard, and leave the Caps handicapped for the next team they face.

Bob Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 01:11 AM
broadwayblue

Time to Cally up in game 3. This is where they show what they're made of.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 01:19 AM
EEDAWGZ

do u really wanna see this offensively challenged team go deeper into the playoffs?

EEDAWGZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 01:21 AM
trilobyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogfox View Post
there a couple of you guys bashing wolski the guy played 10 min.
I had to stop you right there. For one thing, I am not one of the people 'bashing' Wolski, even though I would prefer he was not wearing a Rangers sweater. I'm pretty fair with giving players a chance.

When putting words in my mouth, I suggest you use punctuation. What a long, long, long run-on sentence that was. I did not take the time to read it all. It was obviously not worth the effort.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 01:22 AM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

The good: The King, Avery, Boyle, Prust, Fedotenko, Dubinsky, and Gaborik (he was the only one on his line it looked like, if he were with any of the above, maybe he could've done something)

The bad: everyone else. Save Prospal who was decent and Wolski who wasn't given a chance anyway.
...and TORTS. Great use of an obviously on Avery. Schmuck.

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 01:42 AM
PanMan

Quote:
Anybody remeber 4 yrs ago?? ?

07 NYR were down 2-0 to Buffalo, a really, really good Sabres team. They were fast, really fast. We were all but swept and this board looked exactly like it does tonight. We're coming home, guess what happened when we came home that yr? We still have Hank, that's all that matters.

Man I miss Jagr. He was good

PanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 01:55 AM
Glennsoe
Horndog

And of course I lost my internet feed 42 seconds into the game....

I see that Avery has the second most votes here, was he that good ?

Glennsoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 02:18 AM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennsoe View Post

I really didn't think so. He had a couple great chances that he completely fumbled and looked good next to Boyle-Prust. But outside of that? He must have been the cause for at least 10 offsides tonight. That really puts a hamper on things when you the largest issue of the night was gaining the offensive zone.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 02:23 AM
DoTheBlue
Great Expectations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennsoe View Post

They lost 2 - 0. Nobody was that good. Avery had some good shifts and at least a couple shots on net. Mixed it up a bit with the caps players and was physical. He was being Avery. Managed to stay out of the box but was offsides on a couple of rushes. It was a decent game for him. If your wondering if Zuc will be back in for game 3, I would doubt it, at least not for Avery.

DoTheBlue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 02:37 AM
Glennsoe
Horndog

So it's another game where we don't score...

Last goal scored was by a defender, when was the last time one of our forwards scored ?

From reading this thread, I see that EC should be benched next and that AA is weak along the boards...So zuke might be back sunday...

Glennsoe is offline   Reply With Quote