HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tommy Pyatt - Quiet Performer

Old
04-16-2011, 04:52 PM
BaseballCoach

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports1131 View Post
Let's not make Pyatt out to be something he's not. He's a very safe, defensively sound player but he should never be more than a 13th forward on a decent team.

Right now I'm fine with him being in the lineup as he's being given limited minutes in a bottom six, defensive role. The minute that changes he becomes a major liability as we just don't generate any offense with him on the ice.
Totally off-base.

Last year in the PO, Pyatt was 8th in scoring among our forwards, ahead of Moen, Pouliot, Darche, Metropolit, S. Kostitsyn.

If he plays 12-14 minutes a game with two others who shut down a top-2 line on the other team, then his whole line becomes very valuable because they free up either Cammalleri or Gionta to play against a bottom-2 line.

A top 3/4 offensive player on his team should be in the lineup everynight. Same with a top 3/4 defensive player. On the Habs, Pyatt is in the top-3 defensively with Plekanec and Gionta. Why would you play this fellow 6-7 minutes a game or sit him out?

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 05:03 PM
Sports1131

Send a message via AIM to Sports1131 Send a message via MSN to Sports1131
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
Totally off-base.

Last year in the PO, Pyatt was 8th in scoring among our forwards, ahead of Moen, Pouliot, Darche, Metropolit, S. Kostitsyn.

If he plays 12-14 minutes a game with two others who shut down a top-2 line on the other team, then his whole line becomes very valuable because they free up either Cammalleri or Gionta to play against a bottom-2 line.

A top 3/4 offensive player on his team should be in the lineup everynight. Same with a top 3/4 defensive player. On the Habs, Pyatt is in the top-3 defensively with Plekanec and Gionta. Why would you play this fellow 6-7 minutes a game or sit him out?
I'm looking more at his regular season numbers. If he can contribute a few points once in awhile (as he did in last year's playoffs) then absolutely, let him be part of this team's future. I'm just not sold yet.

As it stands I would still keep him in the lineup right now over Pouliot (and probably Desharnais) as he is at least able to play to his strengths in the post-season while some of our offensively-minded players disappear. I think we can agree on that point; the disconnect is that I'm not convinced he will ever be able to make even the slightest offensive contribution and I don't think you can give much ice time to a guy who prevents his own team's ability to score goals.

I suppose it depends on your philosophy. This is not a team that puts many pucks in the net so I suppose there is justification for giving a bigger role to a guy like Pyatt who is only able to defend, but ideally you want a team that tries to extend a lead rather than protect it. And if we're trailing by more than a goal he really shouldn't see the ice at all.

Sports1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 05:03 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
Totally off-base.

Because just being safe isn't enough. He is zero threat offensively. I think he deserves to be here more than Dawes, Boyd ect, buy that says more about them then it does about Pyatt.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 05:22 PM
holyhabs

So if we need goals who would we dress in Pyatt's place? Pouliot? The guy has done nothing down the stretch both seasons as a Hab and did nothing in last years playoffs either.

I would take Pyatt any day of the week in the playoff's from what I have seen of these two in pressure situations. Pyatt never makes mistakes. Pouliot makes them all over the ice.

holyhabs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 09:06 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

What a shift tonight by Tommy tonight!

Sined is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 09:11 PM
holyhabs

This guy is all heart, all work, all the time.

holyhabs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 09:15 PM
overlords
#BargainBanned

Pyatt must have drank Gorges in nesquick form and absorbed his soul. He's awesome.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 09:25 PM
Poulet Kostopoulos

I'm far from hating Pouliot but this guy can't play playoff hockey, the kind of hockey that is tightly contested, where there is very little space. Pools is a player who needs lots of space and time -- the kind of stuff not offered in the playoffs.

Poulet Kostopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 09:26 PM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

Darren Helm.. except in a Habs jersey

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 09:31 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

did pyatt even lose a battle tonight?

He was terrific in getting the puck out when it had to come out, and eating time in the offensive zone. He's one of the most reliable guys in making sure the danger is averted. He's not going to cost you and he knows the right play. He's a coach's player.

I've liked him all year, but during playoff time, I start to remember why I love him.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 09:37 PM
not quite yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poulet Kostopoulos View Post
I'm far from hating Pouliot but this guy can't play playoff hockey, the kind of hockey that is tightly contested, where there is very little space. Pools is a player who needs lots of space and time -- the kind of stuff not offered in the playoffs.
agreed.

pouliot, while talented, is not worth the 1.3M$ cap hit.

that money is valuable and should be spent to retain other players.

not quite yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KingGallagherXI

Ok I change my mind. Pyatt has played great and as long as he keeps playing that way I will support dressing him over Pouliot.

He didn't play like this during the season. He surprised me tonight.

KingGallagherXI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

LOVE THIS KID! PLAY HIM MORE! Totally could be part of a very successful third/fourth grinder line like Detroit had.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 10:21 PM
Sports1131

Superb showing in games one and two, particularly tonight. Hope he keeps it up.

Old
04-16-2011, 10:21 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
Tommy played one hell of a game tonight. If only he had just a bit of finish around the net he'd be a fixture for a third line. Doesn't mean he's not very useful anyways.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 10:22 PM
Dwight
The French Tickler

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNuts View Post
Ok I change my mind. Pyatt has played great and as long as he keeps playing that way I will support dressing him over Pouliot.

He didn't play like this during the season. He surprised me tonight.
Playoffs are a different brand of hockey - the type that makes guys like Pyatt much more effective and valuable.

Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 10:29 PM
teh doors
worst habs poster

Pouliot just lacking confidence. I thought he was making conscious efforts to lay the body and play strong positionally. Also where he usually wouldve made a lazy hook on a Bruin player he was moving his feet and skating. IMO he is a continued work in progress that should be brought back next year, we've learned our lesson discarding struggling young forwards. I like the line of him DD and White, three natural centremen. The way referees are tossing guys out of the faceoff circle, it's nice to know that our fourth line has three guys who can take draws.

Anyways, this thread is about Pyatt, and he has been playing just awesome. Want to see him and Halpern working together at some point, two very cerebral players! Nice to have a team of guys who play with their brains out there on the ice.

teh doors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 10:30 PM
Stradale

Don't want to be negative or anything but Pyatt>>>Pouliot even if he's smaller, less talented than Pouliot. Pouliot can't play big game.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 10:39 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports1131 View Post
Superb showing in games one and two, particularly tonight. Hope he keeps it up.
Never forget that it was Pyatt who got assaulted by Campbell the coward and his elbow pad.

Pyatt is extra motivated against Boston... no doubt about it

Born in 1909 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 10:51 PM
koivu

Hes a better Playoff player than a Regular season player.

And thats all you have to say - rare commodity, a player who knows how to step up when the pressure arrives, can not have enough Pyatt type players on any Playoff team.

koivu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 10:54 PM
LeBlondeDemon10
BlindLemon Haystacks

He's a guy we need to be successful. He leads by example.

Get POULIOT off the ice!

LeBlondeDemon10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 10:57 PM
Sports1131

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBlondeDemon10 View Post
He's a guy we need to be successful. He leads by example.

Get POULIOT off the ice!
I don't think there's any need for fans to be calling for Pouliot's head. I don't think he has played particularly poorly in this series; I just think he's the weakest link when Kostitsyn or Halpern return as he's not scoring and we have other guys who are better defensively.

No need to get on his case.

Old
04-16-2011, 11:03 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBoyCoy View Post
Darren Helm.. except in a Habs jersey
not a good comparison at all, Helm is MUCH more effective offensively, and getting better. Where Helm is now is likely the high end of what we could hope Pyatt will one day become...

that said, Pyatt is showing again why he is an almost perfect 4th line winger. He plays his role with complete commitment and is quite effective at it, and contrary to popular belief, being that good defensively and on the PK is not something every player can do.

Earlier in the season I was debating with someone who suggested that we'd be better off replacing Pyatt with a 4th line "goon" to address our toughness needs... I think what we see now is exactly why that would be a bad idea.

Pyatt doesn't seem fazed by playing holding down the 4th line/press box spot, rotating in/out of the lineup as needed, and every game he plays in he gives pretty consistently the same effort/effectiveness.

at his small cap hit and with his attitude, he's a perfect depth forward, and if he ever finds a way to improve his game with the puck/offensively, then he'll become a very good bottom-6 player for us. either way, he's a guy that we should hang on to for the foreseeable future imo.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 12:23 AM
Clipitar

One thing I noticed with Pyatt is that he'll always take the hit to make the right play. He's too small to dish anything decent out there, but he takes no short cuts, like a little warrior. He also seems to elevate his play in the postseason. I like that.

Clipitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2011, 01:35 AM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsNation514 View Post
Did anyone else notice that Pyatt won some puck battles and was using his speed well in Game 1? He was actually credited with a team-leading two takeaways. I caught the game on Versus and the announcers were quite complimentary of the kid.
Um, duh. I've been talking him up all year, but because he has few points he's apparently useless. He's so not.

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote