HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Modano likely to retire at end of playoffs

Old
04-13-2011, 07:45 AM
Filppula
Jurks

vCash: 500
Modano likely to retire at end of playoffs

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index....-+MLive.com%29
Quote:
Red Wings' Mike Modano: 'This is my last chance'

DETROIT -- Detroit Red Wings forward Mike Modano said on Friday that he plans to retire if the team makes a long playoff run.

On Tuesday, the 40-year-old future Hall of Famer indicated he likely will retire regardless of what transpires in the playoffs.

"This is my one last chance at it, so Iím kind of excited about the opportunity," Modano said. "I just hope to make the most of it when Iím called upon."

Asked if this will be his last playoffs, Modano said: "I think it is. Thatís kind of the way I look at it. The last little while, Iíve thought long and hard about it. Iím just going to try to put everything I have into this, and then thatís going to be it for me."
Sounds like the end, and the correct decision if he makes it.

Filppula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 08:14 AM
Huddy*

Send a message via Yahoo to Huddy*
These types of questions/responses always seem appropriate for an older player at this time of year. The question always gets asked, the player asks honestly, not knowing if management wants him back....

Modano's future with the Wings (if healthy) remains to been seen on what he can/cant do in the playoffs, IMO.....

Huddy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 08:27 AM
SirKillalot

vCash: 390
Ah...yes...Modano fount the beast button

SirKillalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 08:34 AM
Shoalzie

I wish him well if this is it but I also hope the Wings stop flirting with aging Future Hall of Famers. This isn't like picking Robitaille, Hull and Hasek prior to the '01-02 season. Mike Modano hasn't been Mike Modano since '05-06 when he had 77 points in 78 games. He had a decent year in '07-08 but not up to his standards I'm sure.

Hull in his 3 years with the Wings, he played in every regular season game except one and scored 92 goals. Modano probably was closer to Robitaille in how much their game had dropped off when they joined the Wings but Luc was coming off an 88 point season prior to joining the Wings but could only get 81 points in 2 years with the Wings.

I realize the expectations were different for Modano when he was brought in but really, he's not given this team any more than what a young player could given them. I don't resent the guy's existence on the team but I certainly wish they didn't go this route and opted for some younger and fresher legs. You look around the league at the contending teams and a lot of the best players on these teams are young and hungry. You can't really win right now with aging, broken down veterans.

Nick is obviously a freak of nature while Modano, who still has very good, not great speed at his advanced age and probably still thinks the game quite well, doesn't have the electrifying flair and explosiveness he once possessed and he's really sub-standard in terms of 3rd liners are concerned. I feel bad for him that this season was abbreviated because of the freak injury and I hope he empties the tank if this is truly it for him.

Shoalzie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 08:37 AM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Youth movement baby... hopefully... erm

mindfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 09:03 AM
TheOtherOne

here's hoping he plays his ass off in a desperate attempt to go out on a high note.

TheOtherOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2011, 09:10 AM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
November: 11 games (including the one he played 5 minutes of before slicing his wrist open), 7 points, +4

The guy was rounding into form, contributing, and anchoring our best line in November before the injury sidelined him for half the season. He hasn't been the same since - not that I would think anyone could hold that against him. I wish the season could have went better for Modano, and I hope he can go out on a high note.

04-13-2011, 10:42 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

A year late.

WingedWheel1987 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 12:25 AM
chances14

i say good riddance. taking up roster space that could be used to develop somebody like mursak or tatar

chances14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 02:13 AM
Nicklas Lidstrom

Hopefully he is honored with a ceremony showing footage of his long career in Detroit

Nicklas Lidstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 03:03 AM
Claypool

You can never have enough experience. Also, it's not like he was expected to produce. I think everyone had him slotted for 30-40 points this year.

Claypool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 07:58 AM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by chances14 View Post
i say good riddance. taking up roster space that could be used to develop somebody like mursak or tatar
That wouldn't happen anyway. The Wings would've just kept Mark Mow.. I mean Ritola.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 04:01 PM
nik jr

modano was playing much better in the weeks before his injury, though.

hope the season ends as well as possible for him, by lifting the cup.

nik jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 05:43 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

So if the Wings don't make the playoffs next year It will be because they didn't have Modano? Dude was the straw that stirred the drink. I don't think the Wings will ever be the same when he retires.

Jersey retirement immediately or stay classy and wait a few years? Who's jersey will they take down to make room for his though? Yzerman or Howe's?

WingedWheel1987 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 06:11 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 View Post
So if the Wings don't make the playoffs next year It will be because they didn't have Modano? Dude was the straw that stirred the drink. I don't think the Wings will ever be the same when he retires.

Jersey retirement immediately or stay classy and wait a few years? Who's jersey will they take down to make room for his though? Yzerman or Howe's?
Huh?

Winger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 06:15 PM
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
Huh?
Sarcasm, it is

ProPAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 06:45 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPAIN View Post
Sarcasm, it is

Oh, I got that. Not what I was huhing.

Old
04-15-2011, 04:48 AM
bhetz23
G-14 Classified

Here's to hoping Mo gets to raise the cup one more time, even if it's with Detroit.

I'd say, especially by the tone of the story I read, it's a 99% probability he will retire. I think the close of his career is luckily coinciding with the opportunity to put together a group to buy the Stars. It's no secret that Tom Hicks has been trying to sell the team, FINALLY. Last year during the offseason, Mo and Jim Lites who had served as the team's president. Unfortunately, Betteman, in all his "brilliance" said that there would be no more player/owners. He wants to buy the team, so I think that this will work out nicely for the team and him.

bhetz23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 09:32 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Modano might be gone, but Drapes and Ozzy will have to be dragged out, kicking and screaming:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osgood
"I never envisioned going under the knife and then my career being over," Osgood said. "I always envisioned playing my last game in Joe Louis and then saying goodbye. So it was frightening, because I was really, genuinely concerned about being able to come back. Now I definitely have all intention of playing next year. I don't want to leave knowing I can still play, and I think Drapes is the same way."
well, it's a good thing he shouldn't have to worry about that.

Old
04-18-2011, 09:38 PM
Filppula
Jurks

Anyone getting a bit scared Mursak might be squeezed out because we want another season of Draper?

Filppula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 10:24 PM
jacK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filppula View Post
Anyone getting a bit scared Mursak might be squeezed out because we want another season of Draper?
Emmerton, maybe. Mursak, no way.

i wish they'd both [Ozzie & Drapes] put the team ahead of themselves, and just bow out knowing they've had great careers but it's time to let the new guard take over.

jacK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2011, 11:37 PM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filppula View Post
Nope, not one bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacK View Post
i wish they'd both [Ozzie & Drapes] put the team ahead of themselves, and just bow out knowing they've had great careers but it's time to let the new guard take over.
I think Draper has shown (and is showing) that he can still help the team. I really don't have a problem at all with him coming back, assuming that he is essentially earmarked as the 13th/14th forward. I assume the Wings will carry two reserve forwards, and Draper is the perfect candidate to be one of them, imo.

It seems Osgood is done, but who knows. With Howard getting his contract and the Wings comfortable with him being the starter next season, maybe they'd be ok having Osgood back him up one more season. I don't really expect that, but I can see it happening. And, really, I wouldn't have too much of a problem with it, assuming we have a guy (maybe MacDonald again) in GR who has some NHL experience.

I don't get the idea of them "putting the team ahead of themselves." It is Holland's responsibility to put together the best roster possible. If someone is on the team who shouldn't be, that's on Kenny, not the player.

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 12:05 AM
jacK

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
I don't get the idea of them "putting the team ahead of themselves." It is Holland's responsibility to put together the best roster possible. If someone is on the team who shouldn't be, that's on Kenny, not the player.
Kenny's shown, for better or worse, that we're willing to keep veterans past their expiration date [at the expense of decent players/prospects] out of sheer loyalty. don't put him in the position to do that at the expense of a decent player like Miller, or a decent prospect like Emmerton.

jacK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2011, 12:19 AM
Winger98
powers combined

I don't have a problem with Draper coming back if he's the last guy we sign. Eaves and Miller eat up a ton of PK time for us, and Mursak looks like he could become a very solid contributor. And none of them are pushing forty. I wouldn't be surprised to see Draper given the same choice Maltby had.

Old
04-19-2011, 12:19 AM
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!

I'm ok with keeping Draper one more year at the league minimum. He's an example for the guys in the locker room and I think he still has a lot of hockey left in him.

Unless we can get a better backup and Osgood is the only choice, then fine, but I'm sure Larsson or a cheap UFA could do a better job. Ozzy only as a last resort.

Modano, enjoy some quality time with the wife

ProPAIN is offline   Reply With Quote