HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Reasons we are doomed this season

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-12-2004, 09:39 AM
  #26
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,116
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by yagerasdom
It's nice you people are postive but in response to the first reply you shouldn't be talking about hockey knowledge and should learn to read.


I said "defensive defenseman" when talking about Pock, Poti and Rachunek

To expect Pock to be good defensively his first NHL year is absurd considering he was an offensive defenseman in college.
It's things like this that make me laugh. Dude, your posts make you look ignorant enough, but is it really necessary to add to it?
Since you are such an expert, perhaps you can enlighten all of us for how many years you've watched Pock play defense in college. The answer should be interesting.
Now, we have a guess as to who you are, but why is it necessary for you to try to fight with everyone here? That's a pretty good way to have ALL of your future posts ignored. If you are whom we think you are, you lasted less than a month the last time. Want to bet that this will be a shorter stay?
Why can you just not debate in peace (albeit hotly) and not bring down the quality of this board (something that has been slowly happening over the last 6 months)?

True Blue is offline  
Old
07-12-2004, 10:10 AM
  #27
jas
Unsatisfied
 
jas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 13,208
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
It's things like this that make me laugh. Dude, your posts make you look ignorant enough, but is it really necessary to add to it?
Since you are such an expert, perhaps you can enlighten all of us for how many years you've watched Pock play defense in college. The answer should be interesting.
Now, we have a guess as to who you are, but why is it necessary for you to try to fight with everyone here? That's a pretty good way to have ALL of your future posts ignored. If you are whom we think you are, you lasted less than a month the last time. Want to bet that this will be a shorter stay?
Why can you just not debate in peace (albeit hotly) and not bring down the quality of this board (something that has been slowly happening over the last 6 months)?
Actually, I would say it has rapidly declined in the past two or so months. Just the overall tone has really dropped off. And, it is getting harder for the vets to stay on top of the needed self-policing that used to be more common.

jas is offline  
Old
07-12-2004, 10:13 AM
  #28
JR#9*
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,733
vCash: 500
Is dropthegloves back so soon???

You would think he would've learned his lesson after the last few weeks as trying to come off like some hockey guru who was quickly exposed with double talk and nonsense within his views.

This kid praises Baranka while continuing to spell his name Beranka(how many times could you have seen him play if you don't even know how to spell the kids name?? ) and states that Pock has little if any chance of being as good as him while failing to remember just last week in his ridiculous point projection thread that Pock would score 11goals and 25 assists in his ROOKIE season with the comment "I believe in this kid" so if this is how he feels I can't wait to see what kind of rookie season he has projected for Baranka if Pock has no shot to be as good. :lol


Last edited by JR#9*: 07-12-2004 at 11:35 AM.
JR#9* is offline  
Old
07-12-2004, 11:09 AM
  #29
Larry Melnyk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Gloomsville, USA
Posts: 4,376
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas
Actually, I would say it has rapidly declined in the past two or so months. Just the overall tone has really dropped off. And, it is getting harder for the vets to stay on top of the needed self-policing that used to be more common.
Ain't that the truth..Had a good back and forth the other day with SBOB but it ain't the norm anymore...Very little good natured humor and alot of "chest thumping" and pssing contests...Kinda gets old reading posts telling others what is right and what "facts" their opinons are...Oh well, still search for the nuggets now and then, but not too often..

Larry Melnyk is offline  
Old
07-12-2004, 11:16 AM
  #30
E-Train
Registered User
 
E-Train's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Long Island
Posts: 1,349
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk
Very little good natured humor and alot of "chest thumping" and pssing contests...Kinda gets old reading posts telling others what is right and what "facts" their opinons are...Oh well, still search for the nuggets now and then, but not too often..
Too many threads polluted by these kids that like to act tough hiding behind their computers. Everyone knows it all, people with differing opinions are idiots

E-Train is offline  
Old
07-12-2004, 11:17 AM
  #31
jas
Unsatisfied
 
jas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 13,208
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk
Ain't that the truth..Had a good back and forth the other day with SBOB but it ain't the norm anymore...Very little good natured humor and alot of "chest thumping" and pssing contests...Kinda gets old reading posts telling others what is right and what "facts" their opinons are...Oh well, still search for the nuggets now and then, but not too often..
People seem to forget this is all subjective. Nothing wrong with disagreement, just as long as it backed up with sound intelligent arguments.

jas is offline  
Old
07-12-2004, 12:04 PM
  #32
Shadowtron
Registered User
 
Shadowtron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Earth
Posts: 5,532
vCash: 500
I just don't get what he's trying to fight. He keeps coming back, starting the same garbage. This isn't some un-moderated ESPN message board. You want the freedom to be an A-hole, fine, go to one of those boards. You think "mods-are-gay", again, go find a place conducive to your type of behavior. I'm actually surprised you haven't already been banned because of your name.

Shadowtron is offline  
Old
07-12-2004, 12:23 PM
  #33
94now
Registered User
 
94now's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Snow Belt, USA
Country: United Nations
Posts: 6,445
vCash: 500
The only reason we could be doomed this season is the same reason we were doomed last 7 seasons. That reason is poor goaltending. Once Mike Richter started to go downhill we have never been able to make a playoffs. One could blame the defence, the coaches, the system. The fact is it does matter, but only if you are a contender. To make a playoffs all you need is NOT TO PLAY WITH EMPTY NET.

94now is offline  
Old
07-12-2004, 12:43 PM
  #34
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,116
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Train
Too many threads polluted by these kids that like to act tough hiding behind their computers. Everyone knows it all, people with differing opinions are idiots
Ain't that the truth

One of my faves was one of the posts the other week. The one that basically stated something like "I am amazed that I am only 15 and know more about hockey than anyone here".

True Blue is offline  
Old
07-12-2004, 12:47 PM
  #35
Blueshirt13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Other side of the Ri
Posts: 772
vCash: 500
In a rebuild, the only "doomed" season is when you do not stick to your rebuild by signing a ton of free agents or trading away developing prospects for vets.

Next year, whether we win no games or win 20, just fielding a team with a number of rookies is a win in my book. Last year we were the only team in the league that started the season with no prospects on the club. This year we are bound to have 6+ (atleast 2 on D, Balej, and 3 or more forwards). We are doing what other teams have done years ago and developing youth. That's a great start.

Poti, Pock and Rachunek were never classified as defensive defensemen so yes, they are horrible defensive defensemen. Poti is clearly an offensive defensemen, as are the other two. I think over time, Pock will develop his defensive game more as he is still transitioning from forward to d.

So in the end, whenever there is a season, my factors for success are:
1. Overall improvement of the prospects that take the ice.
2. Lack of many veterens on the club.
3. Acquisition of additional youth assets (possibly through trade)
4. Progression of further assets in our system.

Anyways, nothing else is worth commenting on.

Blueshirt13 is online now  
Old
07-12-2004, 01:02 PM
  #36
dedalus
Registered User
 
dedalus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,215
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt13
In a rebuild, the only "doomed" season is when you do not stick to your rebuild by signing a ton of free agents or trading away developing prospects for vets.

So in the end, whenever there is a season, my factors for success are:
1. Overall improvement of the prospects that take the ice.
2. Lack of many veterens on the club.
3. Acquisition of additional youth assets (possibly through trade)
4. Progression of further assets in our system.
Well put. Sadly there are and will always be those who have no patience for a genuine rebuilding. Worse yet are those who pay lip service to the idea but whose beliefs about the playoffs and UFAs are wildly divergent from those any fan of a rebuilding should hold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas
Actually, I would say it has rapidly declined in the past two or so months. Just the overall tone has really dropped off. And, it is getting harder for the vets to stay on top of the needed self-policing that used to be more common.
Too true. Seems many of our vets have drifted away, and many others post infrequently; I'm actually guilty of this myself. I spend far, far, far more time on the politics board than I do here. Part of that is the simple decline of quality writing/thinking here on the Ranger board and another is that many of those with whom I enjoyed exchanging thoughts aren't here writing.

Anyone remember Laches' last post? klingsor's last post here? (I've seen him over on the pol boards.) Davisian? The list goes on and on.

dedalus is offline  
Old
07-12-2004, 01:23 PM
  #37
jas
Unsatisfied
 
jas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 13,208
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus
Too true. Seems many of our vets have drifted away, and many others post infrequently; I'm actually guilty of this myself. I spend far, far, far more time on the politics board than I do here. Part of that is the simple decline of quality writing/thinking here on the Ranger board and another is that many of those with whom I enjoyed exchanging thoughts aren't here writing.

Anyone remember Laches' last post? klingsor's last post here? (I've seen him over on the pol boards.) Davisian? The list goes on and on.
Actually, I think klingsor posted today. But, your point is well taken. Melnyk admits to only drift in and out. I can't remember Davisian's last post. PLD posts irregularly. There used to be a lot of people who came from the Rivals board. And, maybe, part of it has to do with the disatisfaction brought about by Sather's tenure. But, too many people who brought intelligent arguments to the table are no longer here with the frequency they once were.


Last edited by jas: 07-12-2004 at 03:43 PM.
jas is offline  
Old
07-12-2004, 02:58 PM
  #38
Davisian
Registered User
 
Davisian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Broomfield, CO
Posts: 6,077
vCash: 500
Not so much about Sather's tenure or the continuing wretchedness that is the New York Rangers and more to do with new baby, house, job, life in general as well as a general dissatisfaction with the direction HF has taken (besides the Ranger board and mods). It's their site, they can do as they wish, buuutttt.. The only reason I do pop in is to catch up with old paisans..

Bah.. My discussion was never that intelligent anyways!

Davisian is offline  
Old
07-12-2004, 03:09 PM
  #39
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,778
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas
Actually, I think klingsor posted today. But, your point is well taken. Melnyk admits to only drift in and out. I can't remember Davisian last post. PLD posts irregularly. There used to be a lot of people who came from the Rivals board. And, maybe, part of it has to do with the disatisfaction boruht about by Sather's tenure. But, too many people who brought intelligent arguments to the table are no longer here with the frequency they once were.

I don't think it's the 'newbie' posters as much as it is the 'other' factors discussed - 7 years of no playoffs, summertime, impending lockout, etc.

Last year around this time it was dead. In a few months the kiddies will be off to school again, or they'll find new places in which to argue and not listen to reason.

Bluenote13 is offline  
Old
07-12-2004, 03:14 PM
  #40
Prucha73
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,879
vCash: 500
There really isn't much to argue about at this point. Nobody is posting any inside info, no rumors, no trades or free agent signings, not even a Larry Brooks article.

Prucha73 is offline  
Old
07-12-2004, 03:41 PM
  #41
jas
Unsatisfied
 
jas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 13,208
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prucha73
There really isn't much to argue about at this point. Nobody is posting any inside info, no rumors, no trades or free agent signings, not even a Larry Brooks article.
It's not about things to argue. It is about the tenor of the board. Admittedly, I'm posting more during the day now because I can (for reasons I'd rather not go into...okay, I'm in the office as opposed to being in the field.) But, there have been too many kids who come on who don't know how properly have an argument without reverting to name-calling. I have debated with plenty of people...TB, Melnyk, Fletch, the long-lost Laches...there was always a respect for each other's opinion. That really seems to have been lost on quite a few people.

jas is offline  
Old
07-12-2004, 04:38 PM
  #42
bmoak
Registered User
 
bmoak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,543
vCash: 500
Well, some of those "quite a few people" just hapen to be the same person who keeps coming back under a new alias after getting banned.

bmoak is offline  
Old
07-12-2004, 05:10 PM
  #43
Prucha73
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,879
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas
It's not about things to argue. It is about the tenor of the board. Admittedly, I'm posting more during the day now because I can (for reasons I'd rather not go into...okay, I'm in the office as opposed to being in the field.) But, there have been too many kids who come on who don't know how properly have an argument without reverting to name-calling. I have debated with plenty of people...TB, Melnyk, Fletch, the long-lost Laches...there was always a respect for each other's opinion. That really seems to have been lost on quite a few people.
I don't really discriminate based on familiarity of other users. I rarely pay attention to what the user name is of the poster, as long as it is something interesting and informative then it is worth reading no matter who the poster is or how much respect they have. But the name calling just makes no sense.

Prucha73 is offline  
Old
07-12-2004, 06:05 PM
  #44
dumpsathernow*
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 612
vCash: 500
Perhaps it's not people here not knowing how to have a discussion but more that the regular posters here are so stubborn talking hockey and when they are wrong they never admit it. I have no problem reading what I believe is stupidity. We all our wrong on many things with hockey. However, at least show enough courage and admit you are wrong. You can start with the draft and Olesz which a good deal of this board was 100% wrong on.

I would love Pock to be a good NHL defenseman. Am I excited off of his 6 games? Yes. However, you would have to be nutso to put this guy ahead of Beranka. Beranka is a kid that came here and played for an expansion WHL team. I didn't see him play but read a few articles that he completely dominated and was the team MVP. He is a big physical presence and he didn't play under some dope coach. He played under Constantine. So to say Pock based off of 6 NHL games is a better prospect then this kid is absurd. I still think Pock has no clue how to play defense from what I saw.

dumpsathernow* is offline  
Old
07-12-2004, 06:40 PM
  #45
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,116
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by yagerasdom
Perhaps it's not people here not knowing how to have a discussion but more that the regular posters here are so stubborn talking hockey and when they are wrong they never admit it.
Kettle, is that you? This is the pot...

Most people here are very knowledgeable about hockey. Very knowledeable. It's hard to have a normal debate with a person who insists on trying to be an internet tough guy.

"You can start with the draft and Olesz which a good deal of this board was 100% wrong on. "

Weren't you the one who claimed that NO WAY were the RAngers were taking anyone but Tukonen? What happened to that iron-clad, write it down in stone, guarantee. Apparently it's ok to keep trumpeting about how the Rangers are taking Tukonen and be wrong about it, but it is not ok to be wrong about Olesz. At least most of us knew that Tukonen was never going to be the choice. It came down to Olesz and Montoya, as predicted.

"However, at least show enough courage and admit you are wrong."

Yeah? Let me hear you you.

", you would have to be nutso to put this guy ahead of Beranka."

How did you come to that conclusion? Besides your own OPINION, off course. I am still waiting for you to tell me for how many years have you watched Pock play defense.

True Blue is offline  
Old
07-12-2004, 06:46 PM
  #46
dedalus
Registered User
 
dedalus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,215
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by yagerasdom
Perhaps it's not people here not knowing how to have a discussion but more that the regular posters here are so stubborn talking hockey and when they are wrong they never admit it.
Yeah. See, your defensiveness is exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about.


Last edited by dedalus: 07-12-2004 at 08:54 PM.
dedalus is offline  
Old
07-12-2004, 07:24 PM
  #47
NYR2
Registered User
 
NYR2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by yagerasdom
Perhaps it's not people here not knowing how to have a discussion but more that the regular posters here are so stubborn talking hockey and when they are wrong they never admit it.
Yeah, that's it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yagerasdom
I would love Pock to be a good NHL defenseman. Am I excited off of his 6 games? Yes. However, you would have to be nutso to put this guy ahead of Beranka. Beranka is a kid that came here and played for an expansion WHL team.
BAranka.

NYR2 is offline  
Old
07-12-2004, 07:34 PM
  #48
jas
Unsatisfied
 
jas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 13,208
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prucha73
I don't really discriminate based on familiarity of other users. I rarely pay attention to what the user name is of the poster, as long as it is something interesting and informative then it is worth reading no matter who the poster is or how much respect they have. But the name calling just makes no sense.
The point was not based upon familiarity of posters, but, rather, there was an etiquette among posters that kept arguments nonpersonal. There was no "You're a moron, and I'm right, and if you disagree your a bigger moron." And, due to the self-policing that went on, the newer and brasher posters that came in guns a-blazing (mainly due to the tone of previous boards they were accustomed to, such as SLAM!), quickly fit in with the style of the board.

jas is offline  
Old
07-12-2004, 07:42 PM
  #49
jas
Unsatisfied
 
jas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 13,208
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by yagerasdom
However, at least show enough courage and admit you are wrong. You can start with the draft and Olesz which a good deal of this board was 100% wrong on.
Okay, the Rangers didn't draft Olesz. They also didn't draft Tukonen. Olesz went 7th, Tukonen went 11th. And, your point is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yagerasdom
I would love Pock to be a good NHL defenseman. Am I excited off of his 6 games? Yes. However, you would have to be nutso to put this guy ahead of Beranka. Beranka is a kid that came here and played for an expansion WHL team. I didn't see him play but read a few articles that he completely dominated and was the team MVP. He is a big physical presence and he didn't play under some dope coach. He played under Constantine. So to say Pock based off of 6 NHL games is a better prospect then this kid is absurd.
I, too, like what I've read about Baranka. But, he's not NHL ready. Pock, in his short time, showed poise, great speed moving the puck up the ice, an ability to get his shot on goal on the PP and at least a willingness not to back down from physical play. All of this from a player who is still relatively new to his position. He is NOT a defensive d-man. We all understand that. Baranka and Pock are two separate types of players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yagerasdom
I still think Pock has no clue how to play defense from what I saw.
And, neither does Sandis Ozolinsh, yet he has carved a career out of his abilities.

jas is offline  
Old
07-13-2004, 08:37 AM
  #50
JR#9*
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,733
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by yagerasdom
Perhaps it's not people here not knowing how to have a discussion but more that the regular posters here are so stubborn talking hockey and when they are wrong they never admit it. I have no problem reading what I believe is stupidity. We all our wrong on many things with hockey. However, at least show enough courage and admit you are wrong. You can start with the draft and Olesz which a good deal of this board was 100% wrong on.

I would love Pock to be a good NHL defenseman. Am I excited off of his 6 games? Yes. However, you would have to be nutso to put this guy ahead of Beranka. Beranka is a kid that came here and played for an expansion WHL team. I didn't see him play but read a few articles that he completely dominated and was the team MVP. He is a big physical presence and he didn't play under some dope coach. He played under Constantine. So to say Pock based off of 6 NHL games is a better prospect then this kid is absurd. I still think Pock has no clue how to play defense from what I saw.
This should muzzle you for good b/c anybody who is touting a guy they've NEVER EVEN SEEN PLAY as such a can't miss and people would be insane to think that so and so is a better prospect ALL BASED ON "A FEW ARTICLES I READ"!!!!!

And I never break anybody's chops for mispelling a guys name but if it's a guy you are touting so heavily and telling others they are insane for thinking another prospect is better then him then at that point you had better at the very least no what the guys name is for christs sake.

And if you predicted Pock for 11g and 24a=35pts as a Rookie what do you think BAranka will do if he's so much better than Pock.

JR#9* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:28 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.